-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I enjoy the Ass Ache of Drooling Dumb Fhuqks...Whining about wares beyond their "means","abilities" and "comprehension".

Hint.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pete53
federal sharp shooters use 556,223 rem. for most of the deer they shoot at night and Federal sharp shooters kill plenty deer.

Odds are pretty good that somewhere among the posters is in fact a federal contractor who does wildlife conflict management. I’ve yet to ever see his advice not be solid. I know of another contractor who prefers the 22 hornet suppressed and head shots but his shots are rarely over 75 yds and taken at night with NV’s on crowded airports and the like. Both have a set budget and shoot what they want given the target and area etc.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
1. Longest shot I've ever taken on a deer; 360 yards with a 22-250 and DRT with a lung shot. The bullet, a Speer 70 grain Semi Spitzer.

2. Another deer I took with a Speer 70 grain Semi Spitzer but this time out of a 222. It was a lung shot. The deer rand about 100 yards and died.

3. A deer I took at about 252 yards with a 45 grain Hornady bullet out of a 204 Ruger went less than 20 feet.

I consider the 204 Ruger marginal. I consider the 22-250 and similar a very valid chambering for deer sized big game.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by moosemike
I like threads like this that show that big game was killed clean with.22's before fast twist and high BC bullets.

Lots of game was killed by round balls launched out of flintlocks before there were percussion caps. So?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’ve killed a couple does with a 22-250 shooting 55 grain varmint bullets but both were head shots. I hunted a ranch in Texas that an old man owned and he swore by the 22-250 for deer but I swear that old man lost more deer that he shot than I can count. I couldn’t begin to testify to shot placement, I just know I spent a lot of nights with a flashlight looking for deer “he hit good”. I think these heavier bullets now available with fast twist barrels definitely adds an advantage to the 22 cal capability on deer/antelope sized game especially since accuracy can be so good, recoil non-existent and being able to watch the shot all the way through.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I gotta call a certain goofy fhuqker,of whom you speak...................(grin)

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
All these were 222 or 223 with a variety of bullets
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I have dozens more instances, they flat kill stuff. I rarely use “good” bullets and rarely have anything do much running, surgical precision and no recoil makes for short tracking jobs.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
AR and Mini 14, using my handloads (64 grain Winchester SP over H335) have proved reliable killers on hogs and deer here in North Florida.

Sam......

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by mathman
I like threads like this that show that big game was killed clean with.22's before fast twist and high BC bullets.

Lots of game was killed by round balls launched out of flintlocks before there were percussion caps. So?

Lots of game was killed with bow and arrow before there were flintlocks. But only with fast twist fletching.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
More than a few steaks,was run offa cliffs too.

The Window Lickers NEVER disappoint,by simply doing their best!

Bless their hearts!..............

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by mathman

Lots of game was killed with bow and arrow before there were flintlocks. But only with fast twist fletching.

Y'alls points are really "relevant" to the thread.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Pat,

Could you post some photos of your and your son's Swift and provide a history of the rifle? What twist is your son going with in the .22 Creed?

I
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
Scenarshooter, have you had problems with wind drift in that open country? As for me , there is no wind drift , my avr. shot is 20 yds here in the cat tail marshes.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I’ve killed a handful with the 223 and the 70 grain Speer RN. The bullet stays together and all have exited. All the deer died. Most ran, one dropped. The blood trails left something to be desired. I like hunting with it, but have decided to stick with bigger stuff for a better tracking job. I know a lot of guys like the copper bullets, but I’m cheap and like shooting cup and cores at reasonable velocities. I’ll probably use it again for deer, but there are better rounds out there, IMO.

C
C
I don’t have any experience with them because I use calibers suited to the game I hunt without feeling the need to push any envelopes. A .22 caliber is marginal for deer at the very least. Why use marginal when there are so many better choices? Is a .243 Win too powerful for many?

Actual experiences will be heavily skewed towards the positive because those who choose to use skirt the edges will almost always feel the need to justify their choices. A .22 caliber for deer-sized game is just an accident waiting to happen. JMHO.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Cbeard64
I don’t have any experience with them because I use calibers suited to the game I hunt without feeling the need to push any envelopes. A .22 caliber is marginal for deer at the very least. Why use marginal when there are so many better choices? Is a .243 Win too powerful for many?

Actual experiences will be heavily skewed towards the positive because those who choose to use skirt the edges will almost always feel the need to justify their choices. A .22 caliber for deer-sized game is just an accident waiting to happen. JMHO.

Wow you're really cool. I'm sure you "know" a lot and "do" a lot. You've changed my mind. I'll never stunt shoot again.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Cbeard64

Oooopsie! Does this box show a deer on it? shocked

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/gallery/80/full/94766.jpg

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've never seen a deer killed with a .22 CF bullet.

That's why I use RF ammo on pigs.

I have seen elephant, water buff, pigs and people whacked by .22 CF bullets. They all required at least one shot.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

I have seen elephant, water buff, pigs and people whacked by .22 CF bullets. They all required at least one shot.

Don’t they all require at least one shot?

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

I have done it for years, although I still think there are better cartridges for deer. My wife with a 22-250, my daughter with a 223 and a couple more antelope with the 22-250. The nice thing about a great varmint cartridge is you can shoot them in the head, even at extended ranges...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (12344mag, 21, 1234, 10gaugeman, 222Sako, 224th, 59 invisible), 2,637 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,397
Posts18,527,896
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.