Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
[Linked Image]

Bill and his 22/250...

His shooting skills were beyond belief....with any weapon.

Yes, Bill was an exceptional shooter. RIP old friend...

But you're not a slouch when it comes to shooting either. If I remember correctly, you won the Montana State Trap Doubles Championship one year, with your Model 12 Winchester! grin

Last edited by buffybr; 02/24/19.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

HR IC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the input on 223/55 grain SPs

I have ‘Lever, benchmark and Varget in the house.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
25 of varget works too

Last edited by mjbgalt; 02/24/19.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Dreamin
Not questioning how lethal 22’s are, but for increased probability of DRT in scenarios where you can’t see two football fields on either side of your target, you may want to increase your margin of error by going with something with a little more punch.

Sounds like you're a hell of a hunter...

Theres gotta be one in every crowd Pat....

Gotta thank Rick again for the Ignore feature...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Bearcat74

Originally Posted by David_Walter
Can someone share a favorite 223 55 grain Hornady spire point load?

25gr H4895 for me

I'll second that.

Theres lots of good ones, but that's a stand-by...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You might find this interesting...
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/42950/Searchpage/2/Main/4895/Words/%2Backley+%2Bswift/Search/true/cheetahs-and-bigstick#Post42950

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Back in 2000, I blew my neck out ( in the gym, of all places, trying to be healthy!) and that hunting season I was "not supposed to fire a rifle", said the Dr in front of my wife! so, I convinced them both that I could piut together a hot .22 CF that would have no recoil. OK. I had my smith put a Mod 700 classic "take off" barrel in .220 Swift on a little Mod 7 rifle I had, with a factory synthetic stock. then had a muzzlebrake put on. It would shoot the then available Federal factory 55gr Trophy Bonded into 1/2 inch at 100. I shot a mule deer buck at 130yds , frontal chest shot. He dropped, but the ranch biologist ( this was a late season hunt) ran up to him and he jumped up and ran perpendicular to me. I popped him behind the shoulder and he rolled over, dead. I then took it to Texas for some Exotics and shot a coyote, an axis doe and two very fine Blackbucks.
A few years later I used a little CZ 527 in .221 fireball and the old 50gr XLC on a 75yd, 80 pound shoat. Very tight behind the shoulder, and it made a 50 caliber hole all the way through. I used a .224 TTH and the Swift 75gr Scirocco on a 300# hog at 25yds. Head/neck junction. Pow, flop, kick a bit. It fragmented but broke her neck. Then I burned out on them, only shoot varmints/predators with them now. They are wicked little rounds, but very, very wind sensitive and no blood trails, so one must "finesse" your shots, ha. Really, most true "riflemen" do that anyhow. I use a 6mm anything the same way...monos/or bonded, break bone in neck/top of shoulders.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
Back in 2000, I blew my neck out ( in the gym, of all places, trying to be healthy!) and that hunting season I was "not supposed to fire a rifle", said the Dr in front of my wife! so, I convinced them both that I could piut together a hot .22 CF that would have no recoil. OK. I had my smith put a Mod 700 classic "take off" barrel in .220 Swift on a little Mod 7 rifle I had, with a factory synthetic stock. then had a muzzlebrake put on. It would shoot the then available Federal factory 55gr Trophy Bonded into 1/2 inch at 100. I shot a mule deer buck at 130yds , frontal chest shot. He dropped, but the ranch biologist ( this was a late season hunt) ran up to him and he jumped up and ran perpendicular to me. I popped him behind the shoulder and he rolled over, dead. I then took it to Texas for some Exotics and shot a coyote, an axis doe and two very fine Blackbucks.
A few years later I used a little CZ 527 in .221 fireball and the old 50gr XLC on a 75yd, 80 pound shoat. Very tight behind the shoulder, and it made a 50 caliber hole all the way through. I used a .224 TTH and the Swift 75gr Scirocco on a 300# hog at 25yds. Head/neck junction. Pow, flop, kick a bit. It fragmented but broke her neck. Then I burned out on them, only shoot varmints/predators with them now. They are wicked little rounds, but very, very wind sensitive and no blood trails, so one must "finesse" your shots, ha. Really, most true "riflemen" do that anyhow. I use a 6mm anything the same way...monos/or bonded, break bone in neck/top of shoulders.

Your sheer and utter CLUELESSNESS,is rather fhuqking Epic. Congratulations?!?

Hint.............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Good morning Big! I have a friend that's been using a Mod 77 in .220 Swift for the past 45 yrs or so. This is down in East Tx, the deer are pretty small. I liked the hot 22s as I shot a lot of crows back then too. They sure make the feathers fly, ha!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
Good morning Big! I have a friend that's been using a Mod 77 in .220 Swift for the past 45 yrs or so. This is down in East Tx, the deer are pretty small. I liked the hot 22s as I shot a lot of crows back then too. They sure make the feathers fly, ha!

"Tell" me more about wind. I've barely had halfa dozen Swifts and only a coupla CHeetah's,mainly because I prefer 22-250AI's.

Hint.

LAUGHING!.........

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Starting to look like Stick got into a stash of bad meth, think we should get what passes for the police in his neighborhood to do a courtesy call?

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Few things funnier,than a Whining Texan...doing her best. Congratulations?!?

Hint.

Pardon my shooting it all and then some.

Re-hint.

Bless your heart.

Laughing!.............

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
[Linked Image]

I've killed a clusterfhuck of black bears with .22 centerfires

How many in brush that runs sight length?????? Your “clusterfhuck” of bears always DRT?????

Don't know, or care what "DRT" is, but I've never wounded and lost any black bear I've ever shot at....with any rifle.

Maybe you should explain it all to us....

Sorry I was an complete a$$ the way I responded Pat. I know you are more proficient, skilled and experienced then 99% of the posters here, including myself.

Be that as it may, on the WA and OR coast and the west slopes of the cascades, it’s obviously different then the pictures you posted. Perfect shot or not, you typically never watch the animal die (DRT - dead right there). I love the 22 center fires and hate recoil but have hedged my “bets” by going larger caliber, especially elk and bear.

Sincere question Pat, any validity to that “argument”? Yes I know, age old debate!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Don't know, or care what "DRT" is, but I've never wounded and lost any black bear I've ever shot at....with any rifle.

Sorry I was an complete a$$ the way I responded Pat. I know you are more proficient, skilled and experienced then 99% of the posters here, including myself.

Be that as it may, on the WA and OR coast and the west slopes of the cascades, it’s obviously different then the pictures you posted. Perfect shot or not, you typically never watch the animal die (DRT - dead right there). I love the 22 center fires and hate recoil but have hedged my “bets” by going larger caliber, especially elk and bear.

Sincere question Pat, any validity to that “argument”? Yes I know, age old debate!

Good for you on the apology.

Centerfire 22s can work great but moving up to the .243/6MM and the 105gr bullets makes a better general deer cartridge.

I have killed and seen killed a lot of deer and antelope with the .223/5.56 and it works fine inside 300yds.

Killed and seen killed lots of deer and antelope with the 22/243 and 80gr VLDs and it works fine to 800yds but kills barrels to fast.

I don't think Pat is using 55gr bullets for deer hunting these days.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

I've killed a clusterfhuck of black bears with .22 centerfires

How many in brush that runs sight length?????? Your “clusterfhuck” of bears always DRT?????

No offense taken.....

The OP wanted to hear some stories, and see a few pics.

Just sharing a few of both.

I think there's enough yelling back and forth on these forums. All of that has me losing interest.

Guys are going to hunt with whatever rifles they want, and can form their own opinions.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

Not much for size..;), but a pretty unique color phase.

Journal says: 125 yards, 55gr Hornady, Ran 35 yards.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Favorite .224 Centerfire today(bolt gun)? Favorite boolit in same?

Pass the Kreedmire/88's for me..................

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

I gave the old Sako .220 Swift to my youngest son a few years ago. He's grown pretty attached to it, and has taken a few big game animals, and a good number of coyotes with it.

Barrel number nine will be a Bartlein, chambered in .22 Creed. He's sending it in this March.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I like threads like this that show that big game was killed clean with.22's before fast twist and high BC bullets.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by moosemike
I like threads like this that show that big game was killed clean with.22's before fast twist and high BC bullets.

Ball ammo and Core-Lokts can claim way more kills then trendy bullets. FACT

Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (007FJ, 160user, 1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 219DW, 65 invisible), 2,993 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,482
Posts18,490,222
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.