Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Originally Posted by Sheister

So, you make all your long shots freehand? Or????? No rest needed?

Not every shot is long. In fact, 95%+ aren't. I don't need a rest for short shots. Offhand is fine to 200 on deer. They are big targets. If I want to bump up the steadiness, sitting does the trick. Out to 600, prone without a rest is fine. It's only when you get beyond that you really need a rest. Until then, it's optional.
I personally don't like very long shots on animals - they tend to move. At 600 yards, a typical TOF is about 7/8 of a second. A deer walking is about 5mph. That's over 7 feet in a second. So, if a stationary deer takes a step at the same time you trip the trigger, it could easily turn into a gut shot. That's more than I'm usually comfortable with.

Sometimes it's about the rest allowing a much more agressive trigger pull when needing to time a shot.

Magpul guys Tray and Chandler simultaneously shot these cows from a herd of 30 on a countdown.

The shot was only 320yds but having the bipods on the ground and proned out made it easier to time the shots to get 2 cows.

[Linked Image]

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
That's some nice shooting!
You really have to keep your ducks in a row to get off a shot on someone else's command.

Politics is War by Other Means
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I see your still running Leupold John, must be working good for ya?

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Judman
I see your still running Leupold John, must be working good for ya?

It's amazing how good Leupolds work when mounted on a decent rifle. laugh

[Linked Image]

That said there are sure a lot of good optic these days.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
John any experience with the new stuff from leupold mk5 vx-6 vx6hd ect.
I had to many mk4 go back for repairs. But wish for a state side optics Co that hangs with the high end stuff.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by fredIII
I had to many mk4 go back for repairs. But wish for a state side optics Co that hangs with the high end stuff.

Keep in mind I have very few scope problems, maybe I am just lucky.

I did send a VX-6 back for track out and parallax issues but I also took the elevation turret guts out and reassembled it when designing our BDC. shocked

I have 4 VX-6s that I shoot and dial regularly and mounted another 3 digits worth.

Have not quite that much time with the VX-6HD but never had one that was faulty but each one goes on the collimator to be tested.

Retesting posting an image.

[Linked Image]

John Burns

I have all the sources.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Thanks for the response John.

Last edited by fredIII; 02/27/19.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Originally Posted by fredIII

Keep in mind I have very few scope problems, maybe I am just lucky.

I did send a VX-6 back for track out and parallax issues but I also took the elevation turret guts out and reassembled it when designing our BDC. shocked

I have 4 VX-6s that I shoot and dial regularly and mounted another 3 digits worth.

Have not quite that much time with the VX-6HD but never had one that was faulty but each one goes on the collimator to be tested.

Retesting posting an image.

[Linked Image]

Copy I don’t have issues either, though I don’t twist turrets near as much as most do. That being said my cds’s and my m1’s are always $$$...

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by RMerta
Boy did this ‘best bipod’ get off track.

Yes it did; like a lot of other threads lately.

Whatever happened to “Two wrongs don’t make a right?” Or, “Treat others how you want to be treated?”

I dont think think feeling insulted is very good justification for taking things to a hateful and personal level.

Grudges and hate do way more damage to the person holding them. They also make everybody cringe from the sideline, not admire your courage for taking the low road.

Cope
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Harris bipods have always been around my rifles as long as I can remember. They’re functional, adaptive to many hunting situations, come in various heights and are easy to locate in most sporting goods stores. Price is where I would expect to pay for this type of collapsible unit.

I did buy a Javelin bipod rebranded by Leupold after this past season. It’s proprietary adapter isn’t that big of an issue should a hunter/shooter decides it’s a good way to fly. You can purchase additional stock adapters, or remove the one you have and screw it onto the fore end of another rifle.

It’s got some precious earth magnet disk that holds the legs inside the adapter housing. It’s a strong enough hold that allows for front loading your rifle. Removing the legs is done with a hard pull. Legs are lightweight carbon fiber that allow for height adjustments on each leg independent of the other for uneven ground.

It’s a small and light, with a carry footprint that easily tucks inside a pack or can be put inside an outer side pack pocket then strapped across to secure while hiking in to an area.

Down side; currently if your buy this unit from Leupold you can’t purchase the longer legs offered through Javelin. You would need to contact Javelin direct to purchase taller legs. Legs purchased from Javelin will fit the Leupold branded bipod.

I am not endorsing the Javelins at this time, since I have only used them while target shooting and haven’t had the chase to expose them to hard hunting conditions.

😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Copenhagen
Originally Posted by RMerta
Boy did this ‘best bipod’ get off track.

Yes it did; like a lot of other threads lately.

Whatever happened to “Two wrongs don’t make a right?” Or, “Treat others how you want to be treated?”

I dont think think feeling insulted is very good justification for taking things to a hateful and personal level.

Grudges and hate do way more damage to the person holding them. They also make everybody cringe from the sideline, not admire your courage for taking the low road.

Great post.

There have been far too many corrosive and spiteful posts on the CF lately...

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
A problem with the internet is that you can't punch someone in the nose & get on with life.

That would solve a lot of problems.

Politics is War by Other Means
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Bipod vids

Here’s a link to some great videos on bipods. SHLowlight is a wealth of information on PRS/long range shooting stuff and has great instructional videos.

I’m not a huge fan of bipods for wilderness or Western big game hunting, mainly because its more weight to pack around, and for my style of hunting (not long range) a pack, prone, or sitting is how I prefer to shoot given enough time. I own a couple Harris bipods and an Atlas. I think they are great when you need them if you’re willing to pack them. I think they are handy on varmints and handy for shooting paper when you don’t have a bench but want to be more accurate.

I also have/use a tripod and Hog Saddle on a ball head, or a RRS plate with a ball head. I think that setup is even better than a bipod in certain circumstances, but its even more bulky and heavy.

(edited to add: It just dawned on me that my comments about not being a long range hunter are ironic considering I'm posting in said forum. Per usual, my advice is worth what you pay for it!)

Last edited by Copenhagen; 02/28/19.

Cope
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Thanks Copenhagen

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by boatanchor
I must admit that I have never used any bipod other than a Harris, but I've always been happy with them.

+1

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 69 invisible), 2,510 guests, and 1,170 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,808
Posts18,477,556
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.