Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BC30cal
AcesNeights;
Good evening to you sir, I hope that the winter has abated somewhat in your part of the world and this finds you and yours well tonight.

I see that I am not the only 'Fire member who collects rimfire ammo - though perhaps there's not a whole lot more of us with what might be a somewhat unique ailment? wink

In particular I try to find Canuck made ammo and also some from different lands like Argentina or South Africa.

[Linked Image]

I too would have to go look to see if I've got any HP Longs, somehow I want to say I don't actually.

Up here across the medicine line it's been years, likely decades really, since I've run across longs in a store - oh other than CB Longs which I picked up maybe 20 - 25 years back.

Also to the OP that's a really cool setup shrapnel, I'd likely get one if I found one up here, just to see what happens if nothing else. cool

All the best to you all as we hopefully head sooner than later into warmer weather.

Dwayne

I even have some of that Canuck stuff, if you want it, you are welcome to come down and shoot some varmints and pick it up...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
shrapnel;
Thanks kindly for the reply and the invite sir - I would like nothing better than to meet you and shoot some rodents in the same trip.

Perhaps it's another thing to add to my retirement bucket list for sure.

On the CIL Canuck stuff, I want to say it'd be from the late '60's as they went to the Imperial brand in the early '70's - I think..... They're the ones directly to the right of the Canuck stuff on the shelf. The last Imperial production stuff is in the vertical box second to the left of the right side. The right side ones are older - prewar I believe, sold under the Dominion name but all made by the same company

The Canuck stuff you've got might well be a bit earlier than that too shrapnel, but it's not much later than that. I recall those boxes around various farms when I was a kid in the late '60's so that's why I'm guessing that time frame.

I wonder if "Troop 445" means it was Department of Defense stuff for air cadets or something similar? A buddy's father used to get some DOD marked stuff for air cadet use sometimes and sometimes it was just the Imperial stuff.

Thanks again and all the best to you as we head into spring shrapnel.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Making .22 hollow points. smile

I see you're enjoying your retirement. Good on ya, that's what it's all about.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
already back from Arizona?

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by shrapnel

I saw a thread here a few weeks ago about making hollow points out of standard ammunition. I did the research and found tools by Neal Waltz and Paco Kelly. The Waltz die seemed the best way to go, so I ordered one and made up some hollow points. It was easy to do and he claims it will make your 22 rimfire ammo more consistent and accurate. I like that, but making 22 longs into hollow points really sounds attractive. I did a box in a few minutes, now I need it to warm up enough to get out and see how they work in the old Winchesters I have chambered for the 22 long cartridge...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I have rolled two ducks with a round nose. One shot. Call it luck.

IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
The watz is a great system,, a friend an I HP a bunch every year, they are absolutly devastating on small game, we kill 200-400 squirrels every year and shoot groups every other week or so,,If you want to eliminate crawl offs,due to a bad hit,and you want an increased wound channel this is the way to go, We use alot of subsonic/standard vel, our results with this dye is awsome,, even a sub sonic with a large hollow point like your pic will turn a squirrel head into a canoe,,, and as far as accuracy goes,, I shoot dime groups out to 70 yds consistantly,,with 3 diff rifles ,Ruger,Anschutz,and CZ,, Also Hollowpointing does not change the weight of the bullet ,40grain stays 40 grain it does displace the weight but so insignificantly,doest change the balance or lead densities in any of my tests,,

I AM AMERICA!
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hosfly
The watz is a great system,, a friend an I HP a bunch every year, they are absolutly devastating on small game, we kill 200-400 squirrels every year and shoot groups every other week or so,,If you want to eliminate crawl offs,due to a bad hit,and you want an increased wound channel this is the way to go, We use alot of subsonic/standard vel, our results with this dye is awsome,, even a sub sonic with a large hollow point like your pic will turn a squirrel head into a canoe,,, and as far as accuracy goes,, I shoot dime groups out to 70 yds consistantly,,with 3 diff rifles ,Ruger,Anschutz,and CZ,, Also Hollowpointing does not change the weight of the bullet ,40grain stays 40 grain it does displace the weight but so insignificantly,doest change the balance or lead densities in any of my tests,,

This is my understanding of the value of the die. It is supposed to swage the bullet as well as put the hollow cavity in the end of the bullet. Neal told me that the bullet will end up at .225 inches and will be consistent, which is an improvement over the stock bullet when they come from the factory.

I measured the finished bullets with a dial caliper and they were all at .225...

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
In my opinion ,,you will have a better bullet than 95% of the stock ou there,,

I AM AMERICA!
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
The most impressive thing about this undertaking is that you got them all back into that box just like they left the factory.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
neat idea, but I have 20K+ plus already. smile

I seriously doubt that.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I doubt you have any longs. They are hard to find at all and impossible with hollow points...

you would be wrong. I happen to like .22 long as a back yard squirrel round

Sam......

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I had to use longs on the property I had access to when I was a teenager. Uncle said they didn't carry as far and I guess he was right. Took all of east Texas small game up to foxes with the RN version never saw any HP's. I liked regular long rifles for turtle shooting!

Dog I rescued in January

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I still see longs on the shelf, both the HV and CB/subsonic variety, as well as shorts. For some odd reason, our Walmart even stocks them. Now that they cost more than .22lr, they've lost most of their reason for existence, other than for old pre .22lr rifles, and for those who want a quiet round and can't use suppressors. But even my ancient family 1906 will run LRs, and CCI Quiet is readily available with more impact power, so even those niches are disappearing, sadly.

For those using the Waltz or Paco accurizer dies to bump up bullet diameter: do you have any trouble chambering rounds in tighter match/Anschutz/ Bentz chambers?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Waaay back in the pre internet days, it was rumored the longs were the most accurate of the three in hunting type rifles. I always shot Long Rifles because the old Model 90 Winchester I grew up with was chambered only for them. I only shot hollow points, and still do, because they will stick a headshot bullfrog right where he is sitting. Solid bullets result in a jump into the water at least half the time.

I saw an interesting YouTube video the other day testing penetration at 300 yards of high velocity 22 long rifle rounds. Shot completely through a 5 inch thick pork roast wrapped in denim. I was surprised.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Dwayne, It’s always nice hearing from you. Thanks for your reply and your picture of quite a collection. I have some of the Imperial.22 longs but not as many as you have. I checked some old boxes of Sears & Roebuck Sta-clean and a few others that have gone the way of the dinosaur and none have a hollow point. A few years back I took all my loose ammo and broken boxes and put them in a big plastic container. I now regret mixing the longs with the long rifles but our boys shoot a bolt action around the house and they don’t notice or care about the details, as long as it goes bang there’s usually a dead starling or other vermin that didn’t notice either. I know myself and I fear that I’ll be on a lifelong quest to find hollow point .22 longs.

All my best to you and yours Dwayne, I hope spring finds you guys earlier and summer isn’t fraught with wildfires but living out west I know that’s a tall order.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I kilt a bunch of skwerls with a 22.

I ain't seen a skwerl yet that could tell if it was a hollow point or a solid.

Am I killing 'em wrong ?

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’m curious...have any of you ever found a 22 rf that was not pretty accurate if you found the ammo it liked best?

I haven’t.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

I doubt you have any longs. They are hard to find at all and impossible with hollow points...

You have 20K HP Longs?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave

You have 20K HP Longs?

You trying to join me on his ignore list? ( it’s pretty crowded here)

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by curdog4570
I’m curious...have any of you ever found a 22 rf that was not pretty accurate if you found the ammo it liked best?

I haven’t.

Not that I can recall. Baring, of course, a defect in the barrel all the .22’s I’ve owned and shot have been very accurate. Some more accurate and less finicky than others but they all shot well.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (Akhutr, 358wsm, 2500HD, 1_deuce, 12 invisible), 1,529 guests, and 892 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,242
Posts18,485,921
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.