Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Buy a boat... me, I know someone for next year, - and it ain't Sitka Deer, the cheap bastard who has never invited me. smile

And we have toropedos. Not to be confused with torpedos.

Or says the skipper, who doesn't drink. Problematic character....

Last edited by las; 03/04/19.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Rooster440
So if the areas near the cabins get nailed pretty hard, anyone have any suggestions on areas to hunt? Haven't hunted Kodiak yet, always wanted to. Looking for a great adventure.

Pretty much look at the public use cabins and stay a fair distance away. The winter a few years back put a serious hurt on the deer on the entire north end of the island. Deer anywhere farther south did better. There are lots of boat-based charters that work all over down there and you would be hunting different areas every day. With boats you get your bear bait back on the boat every day and you do not have to worry about bears getting it or tearing up your tent.

Uyak Bay, Deadman, Olga, and Horsemarine Lake are all good drop-off points, but that can lead to the same problem as the cabins, but a bit of hiking can usually remedy that. And if you want to find a big buck you will need to get way high and farther than everyone else goes. You will need to pass on a lot of bucks to find one of more than modest proportions. Jap Bay is not really far enough south from what I have heard. The farther south the more mature bucks survived.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by las
Buy a boat... me, I know someone for next year, - and it ain't Sitka Deer, the cheap bastard who has never invited me. smile

And we have toropedos. Not to be confused with torpedos.

Or says the skipper, who doesn't drink. Problematic character....

You never got the invitation? I thought you were just snubbing me!

wink

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Lost in the mail, I guess. Damn that USPS!

You actually want money for fuel for this? Crass! smile

Last edited by las; 03/04/19.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by las
Lost in the mail, I guess. Damn that USPS!

You actually want money for fuel for this? Crass! smile

Being a hardass over gas money is a tough way to start a relationship!

IC B2

R
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Are you thinking of trying a do-it-yourself trip or hiring a guide?

DIY or a transporter. I've spoken to quite a few transporters and that seems like a great way to go but DIY is always fun.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

DIY or a transporter. I've spoken to quite a few transporters and that seems like a great way to go but DIY is always fun.

Due to potential weather, cost of transporting a camp and meat on the return, likelihood of weather delays, and a lot of extra reasons and costs boat transporters make a lot of sense. If you are delayed by weather you will be more comfortable on a boat. You also have far fewer bear issues.

Most of your hunting will start steeply from the beach... deer can be gutted and dragged out whole to the beach. Have found that faster and easier than quartering and carrying.

R
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Due to potential weather, cost of transporting a camp and meat on the return, likelihood of weather delays, and a lot of extra reasons and costs boat transporters make a lot of sense. If you are delayed by weather you will be more comfortable on a boat. You also have far fewer bear issues.

Most of your hunting will start steeply from the beach... deer can be gutted and dragged out whole to the beach. Have found that faster and easier than quartering and carrying.

I appreciate the information!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I appreciate the information!

I only ran a charter boat there for 20 years...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
On your, "NO WAY, Never, No How List" you should put the Ten Bears.

Good boats to look at would include the Sourdough out of Homer.
I do not think Chris Fajala is still running the U-Rascal but he is competent and experienced and the most ridiculously good fisherman in the area for sports gear. He would be a great choice if he is going far enough south.
Three Bears is an outstanding boat, but not sure if the old Captain is still running it.

If you look at an air transporter realize you are weight-limited...

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Thoughts On the Sundy?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ironbender
Thoughts On the Sundy?

I cannot say for sure, the vessel type is quite common, but the colors and so on remind me of another boat and I am not sure if it has been renamed? It is sitting in Dog Bay in the picture on their website.

The boat should be very capable and comfortable, just a question about the driver...

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Saw it often at Rick's cabin.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ironbender
Saw it often at Rick's cabin.

Then he obviously doesn't know anything! wink

Just kidding! Should be good.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

I do not think Chris Fajala is still running the U-Rascal but he is competent and experienced and the most ridiculously good fisherman in the area for sports gear. He would be a great choice if he is going far enough south.
Three Bears is an outstanding boat, but not sure if the old Captain is still running it.

They obviously blew their wad on their website......😉

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by AcesNeights

They obviously blew their wad on their website......😉

I listed four boats... which website?

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Ten Bears...

First one that popped up on Kodiak on google....

http://www.tenbears.com/

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Interesting concept: hydroponics on boats...

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Ten bears grows the produce for three bears.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Makes as much sense as anything here!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (160user, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 257 mag, 1936M71, 06hunter59, 48 invisible), 2,639 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,781
Posts18,477,104
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.