Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
Originally Posted by deflave
What made you want to own a dog that is bred for killing?

And why do you think those genes aren't a huge part of that dogs makeup?

A lot of breeds were developed for some aggressive behavior. To me, it’s a matter of accepting the breed for what it is and training/raising it accordingly. Having said that, when the breed was being developed the breeders wanted traits like high pain tolerance, strength, tenacity. I think a lot of the pits and any dog really that acts aggressive toward people are likely not receiving the amount and kind of human and animal interaction they need to keep their heads straight. Pits are known for their energy and drive. Penny will fetch a ball as many times as you will throw it and cuddle with you when she’s sleepy. If I left her in the back yard to her own devices all the time, she would be a different animal.

If you’re going to have a breed like this, I think you have to be the alpha. Obedience and discipline are paramount. Penny is bulletproof on commands like come, no and drop it. And she gets lots of attention from me, my wife, our friends and family. My dad is a retired cop and his words, “I thought you had rocks in your head when you told me your we’re bringing home a pit bull.” Now, I’m pretty sure Dad likes Penny more than he likes me.

I’m not denying her genetics. Just the opposite really. I acknowledge them and give her healthy ways to express them.

Wow! You really have gotten in touch with that other side! Hope you gave Penny enough Participation Trophies to maintain her self-esteem while growing up!

Another genius. In reality, she’s not much on treats or trophies. Gets fed twice a day and has a water dish.. And yes, pets and play. It’s tough to keep up with, reallly. Wears me out.

GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

Had one to attack my grandson in the yard. Killed that dog where he stood...Those that have these you had better hope that your dog doesn't seriously harm or kill someone. Juries award many many many tens of thousands for negligent ownership. Not sure about all states, but in a good many the pet owner is 100% responsible for ol he's "just a big ol babies" actions..

"Pride is the only disease that makes everyone sick except the one that has it"
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by ammoman16

I agree with the idea that it’s how the dog is raised that matters. They are pack animals and need structure.

Probably the exact same thing the guy that just got killed by his pet lion said.

Bruh, were talking about dogs here, not cats. If your house cat weighed 100 pounds it would eat you. This is tough conversation with lots of reading, so try to keep up. And for the record, [bleep] cats.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Highoctane

Had one to attack my grandson in the yard. Killed that dog where he stood...Those that have these you had better hope that your dog doesn't seriously harm or kill someone. Juries award many many many tens of thousands for negligent ownership. Not sure about all states, but in a good many the pet owner is 100% responsible for ol he's "just a big ol babies" actions..

Couldn’t agree more. If you’re not responsible enough to own something, you shouldn’t have it. And if you’re responsible for someone getting hurt, prepare to pay the piper.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

A lot of breeds were developed for some aggressive behavior. To me, it’s a matter of accepting the breed for what it is and training/raising it accordingly. Having said that, when the breed was being developed the breeders wanted traits like high pain tolerance, strength, tenacity. I think a lot of the pits and any dog really that acts aggressive toward people are likely not receiving the amount and kind of human and animal interaction they need to keep their heads straight. Pits are known for their energy and drive. Penny will fetch a ball as many times as you will throw it and cuddle with you when she’s sleepy. If I left her in the back yard to her own devices all the time, she would be a different animal.

If you’re going to have a breed like this, I think you have to be the alpha. Obedience and discipline are paramount. Penny is bulletproof on commands like come, no and drop it. And she gets lots of attention from me, my wife, our friends and family. My dad is a retired cop and his words, “I thought you had rocks in your head when you told me your we’re bringing home a pit bull.” Now, I’m pretty sure Dad likes Penny more than he likes me.

I’m not denying her genetics. Just the opposite really. I acknowledge them and give her healthy ways to express them.

Wow! You really have gotten in touch with that other side! Hope you gave Penny enough Participation Trophies to maintain her self-esteem while growing up!

Another genius. In reality, she’s not much on treats or trophies. Gets fed twice a day and has a water dish.. And yes, pets and play. It’s tough to keep up with, reallly. Wears me out.

Nice, touchy feely...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Your comparison is absurd.[/quote]

Of course I understand the difference between an inanimate object and a dog. However, you are much more likely to be killed by an otherwise law-abiding citizen who happens to be speeding or driving under the influence than by a pit bull, or any other dog for that matter. [/quote]

There are a few things from this discussion that I would hope you would consider carefully; 1) Unless little Penny is in a locked cage, you NEVER have complete control over that dog, no matter what you think. 2) I'm guessing most people here don't much care if the dog turns on you. I mean we would probably feel bad, but you are an adult and you are free to make you own decisions and I respect that. However, your arguments about cars, guns, etc. causing more deaths might be OK for your personal risk management/risk exposure decisions, but you seem to disregard the exposure you're projecting to family, kids, visitors at your house, etc. I believe that is where most folks here have an issue. So what I get out of your argument is that you are OK exposing other humans to an unnecessary high risk situation. Just because you are "responsible enough to pay the piper" if something goes wrong, doesn't change the fact that some child may lose their life. But, I guess your OK with that as long as you have enough home owner's insurance. I'm sure you love your dog...we all do. Personally, if I found myself in your situation, that dog would be crated anytime someone else was in the house. I would spend a lot of time one-on-one with her (sounds like you do) in a controlled area, make sure is spayed, and never get another one. If she lives long enough for her eyes to start failing, then you have more risk to deal with. Good luck.

Perry
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

I agree with the idea that it’s how the dog is raised that matters. They are pack animals and need structure.

Probably the exact same thing the guy that just got killed by his pet lion said.

Bruh, were talking about dogs here, not cats. If your house cat weighed 100 pounds it would eat you. This is tough conversation with lots of reading, so try to keep up. And for the record, [bleep] cats.

If you are too dense to see the parallels of keeping a pet that is capable of killing a human if it sees fit, then it's you that's struggling to keep up. What a fūcking moron.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

If you are too dense to see the parallels of keeping a pet that is capable of killing a human if it sees fit, then it's you that's struggling to keep up. What a fūcking moron.

How many people get killed by cattle and horses? Would it be fair to call people with livestock morons? Every year children drown in pools. Are you a moron if you have kids and a pool? Every year, teens die from drinking their parents booze. Are the parents morons? It safe to say that all of these risks can be reduced, but the risk never eliminated. I guess, by your standards, I should live in a bubble and not enjoy life. I think really, the only moronic thing here is your assumption that a dog you have never met is going to be what you expect based off of the news stories you hear of other dogs attacking people. By your logic, maybe we should get rid of high capacity magazines and semi-auto rifles, because that is the preferred weapon of school shooters. Come on fella, utilize some critical thinking before you spout off your ignorance.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by spud06

Your comparison is absurd.

Of course I understand the difference between an inanimate object and a dog. However, you are much more likely to be killed by an otherwise law-abiding citizen who happens to be speeding or driving under the influence than by a pit bull, or any other dog for that matter. [/quote]

There are a few things from this discussion that I would hope you would consider carefully; 1) Unless little Penny is in a locked cage, you NEVER have complete control over that dog, no matter what you think. 2) I'm guessing most people here don't much care if the dog turns on you. I mean we would probably feel bad, but you are an adult and you are free to make you own decisions and I respect that. However, your arguments about cars, guns, etc. causing more deaths might be OK for your personal risk management/risk exposure decisions, but you seem to disregard the exposure you're projecting to family, kids, visitors at your house, etc. I believe that is where most folks here have an issue. So what I get out of your argument is that you are OK exposing other humans to an unnecessary high risk situation. Just because you are "responsible enough to pay the piper" if something goes wrong, doesn't change the fact that some child may lose their life. But, I guess your OK with that as long as you have enough home owner's insurance. I'm sure you love your dog...we all do. Personally, if I found myself in your situation, that dog would be crated anytime someone else was in the house. I would spend a lot of time one-on-one with her (sounds like you do) in a controlled area, make sure is spayed, and never get another one. If she lives long enough for her eyes to start failing, then you have more risk to deal with. Good luck.[/quote]

I absolutely see where you are coming from. And yes, she has a kennel that she is trained and willingly enters when given the command. I’ll catch hell for this, but Penny is a staple amongst our family gatherings and the kiddos love her. Having said that, I keep a close eye not only on her, but kids. I would never leave a small child unattended with any dog, for both the child’s and the dog’s safety.

Now to your assessment on the guns/cars/whatever... When you strap your child into a car seat are you guaranteeing their safety? Can you guarantee that other drivers aren’t going to smash into your vehicle? Of course you can’t. My difference of opinion from the other side of this argument is that the breed in and of itself does not determine the outcome. I have been bitten by dogs three times in my life, one a springer spaniel, a beagle (my fault-I was a child and acting like an a-hole) and a tiny little long haired mutt that probably weighed 10 pounds. Go figure.

I’m not dismissing the fact that owning any dog involves risk. What I am saying is that my dog is great and well worth the risk, that I feel is low, because of my habdling of her and the situations we find ourselves in.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

Nice, touchy feely...

Another mark of a smart person. Show me a video instead of constructing your own thoughts on the matter. I’m sure your google skills are top notch and your mother is very proud. I think between the two or three of you posting picture stories you likely have a staggering IQ ranging anywhere from 70-80 points.

IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

What made you want to own a pit bull, Travis?

I never wanted to own one.

My sister "rescued" one unbeknownst to me. When we gathered at her house for Christmas and I found her family (includes my two nieces) to be woefully unprepared for this type of dog. Over the course of the week visit I somewhat wore them down about the subject.

After spending Christmas break there the dog came home with me as I felt I could control this particular pit even around my children.

I was wrong.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
The picture story abilities are strong with this one! ^

Typing is hard...

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

What made you want to own a pit bull, Travis?

I never wanted to own one.

My sister "rescued" one unbeknownst to me. When we gathered at her house for Christmas and I found her family (includes my two nieces) to be woefully unprepared for this type of dog. Over the course of the week visit I somewhat wore them down about the subject.

After spending Christmas break there the dog came home with me as I felt I could control this particular pit even around my children.

I was wrong.

I see. So you’re saying your personal experience is anectdotal and limited to 1 animal.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

I see. So you’re saying your personal experience is anectdotal and limited to 1 animal.

No.

My brother had the rescue bug around the same time.

GLOCK!

A friend I grew up with... same bug.

GLOCK!

Another friend I grew up with never had kids until he hit 40. After that happened...

Well, you know.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Hey Jeffrey,

How come insurance companies refuse to insure people with pit bulls? They will insure people who own guns and cars, won't they?

Dumb.....

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Since the word anecdotal was introduced...

Kennels won't accept pit bulls either.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

No.

My brother had the rescue bug around the same time.

GLOCK!

A friend I grew up with... same bug.

GLOCK!

Another friend I grew up with never had kids until he hit 40. After that happened...

Well, you know.

Haha. Fair enough. No pitties for DeFlave and Co! Haha. What dogs breeds do you like?

In all seriousness, I’m happy to see you still around. I’ve been gone for a bit.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Indy,
You are absolutely correct that insurance companies often won’t cover homeowners with pits. But, I would wager a bet that many, if not most people that own pits, don’t carry insurance on their homes or vehicles. What I mean to say is, a lot of crappy people have pits. As I mentioned earlier in this conversational odyssey, if I left my dog in the back yard all day, chained to a tree, she might end up being a bad as$ bitc4. It’s no secret that being on the front end of an angry pit bull is a crappy place to be and I know that a lot of people have been there. Even with that, the percentage of all people that have, or are around pits that actually get attacked by them is still low. They may be higher than those compared to something like a golden retriever, but still low.
It’s a numbers game and insurance companies are great at those. Life and what you make of it is strongly shaped by the company you keep. Same goes for dogs.

Get me? Or, do you still think I’m dumb?

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Since the word anecdotal was introduced...

Kennels won't accept pit bulls either.

I wouldn’t know. If the wifey and I have to leave town, we have no trouble finding family or friends that are happy to watch her.

Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (12344mag, 06hunter59, 1badf350, 16gage, 1moredeer, 10gaugemag, 56 invisible), 3,141 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,964
Posts18,519,505
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.