Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 62 1 2 3 4 5 61 62
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I think that many of you don’t quite understand lease hunting. There are a few as described, but for many it’s hunting ....just like public land. Not high fenced, the only fencing “may” be a four strand barbed wire. Often the lessors are obligated to help maintain the property.... an old farm house, fencing, etc. For many, it’s anything but a “ canned hunt”! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SandBilly
[quote=Oldman3]Hanco, sorry to hear you lost your lease. BTDT.

You know its comical reading the post about some of the fellows that hunt only on public land. They're the ones that can out hunt, out shoot, out fish, out drink, out fug everyone else. Some of them kinda remind me of AOC..... haven't got a fuggin clue. Lots of folks that hunt on public land are good land stewards, good hunters, etc., but not all and that gives everyone a black eye. if your fuggin up on leased land, your gone, ASAP. Land owners wont put up with it. But hell, us fellows that lease dont know what were doing. The very reason I wont hunt public land is because of the idiots that show up there.

The reason you don’t hunt public land, like most of you, is because you can’t get it done. Not

He took the bait..... you're too damn easy!

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by memtb
I think that many of you don’t quite understand lease hunting. There are a few as described, but for many it’s hunting ....just like public land. Not high fenced, the only fencing “may” be a four strand barbed wire. Often the lessors are obligated to help maintain the property.... an old farm house, fencing, etc. For many, it’s anything but a “ canned hunt”! memtb

Just like public land? How so?

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by hanco
I’ve hunted public land in Texas, it’s scary as hell.

Same in Louisiana, should have a good life insurance policy. The few times I hunted public land in Louisiana, there was quite a bit shooting well before daylight. You just “hunker down”, and hope you don’t slow down a round! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sorry to hear about your lease there Hanco, see it ain't just you, its gotta be happening to lots of folks.

Hate to see land made unavailable to hunting.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Same in Louisiana, should have a good life insurance policy. The few times I hunted public land in Louisiana, there was quite a bit shooting well before daylight. You just “hunker down”, and hope you don’t slow down a round! memtb

SOB, just have to “hunker down” bullets flying? You guys are FOS.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Bullshyt. There ain't no feeders, food plots, elevated blinds or "managed' trophy bucks on public land and atv's are not allowed. If you lease guys want us to think you really hunt, you aught to at least keep the feeders and blinds out of sight when you take your hero shots with youir grain fed "trophies".

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
What a puzzy. I've hunted public for 45 years and have never been scared.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Ive lost more places to hunt than you could ever imagine. I mean huge multi ten thousand to 200 thousand acre places to hunt tgat you probably couldnt pay to get permission to hunt on.

Rancher dies and kids sell. Unreal. Ranches where i took care of the rancheers eyes or saved a grandsons eye after injury or just told an old rancher to sue the sucker who blinded his eye and had him liiving for years with me trying to keep him from losing it or treating a ranchers wife for glaucoma or getting a cactus thorn out of a sons eye who had recently had corneal graft sx when 2 other drs couldnt find the cause of the severe pain. Ha, PTL i flipped the lid and saw the speck of thorn emdedded and scratching hell...

The 104 thousand acres i got my booner on, the rancher I treated for glaucoma passed 4 mo later. I had another booner scoped out the other hunters knew nothing of. . That was managed to take 14 deer a year.

40,000 acres west of Andrews. Primo blue quail, dove coyotes, a few deer. Old man had my buddy and his SIL and dauggter running it and with dementia he forgot to pay the lease. Oil co didnt want to pay damages for surface on it anyway. Adios after 30 years.

10, 000 acres on Independance Creek with 500 year old live oaks to sit in with a bow and white tails to 160 inches near Pecos Rivver in remote, rough canyon country. Guys dad died and he married a blonde city slicker who wanted him to quit being one of Texass best ER drs and see the world. Spring fed lakes with bassx and rainbows and catfish where you could see spearheads 12c eet deep in the crystal clear water. I had taken care of the multimillionaire multi ranch owner Burt Wheeler who gave the place to his nephew. He sold it to make her happy. Herds of wild turkey and deer. SOB.

I could go on but im starting to feel ill.

Nothing lasts except change and schitt happening.

300,000 acres south Texas. The grandson, my high school bud, died at age 22 when his tractor rolled. SOB.

Last edited by jaguartx; 03/07/19.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Ive lost more places to hunt than you could ever imagine. I mean huge multi ten thousand to 200 thousand acre places to hunt tgat you probably couldnt pay to get permission to hunt on.

Rancher dies and kids sell. Unreal.

The 104 thousand acres i got my booner on, the rancher passed 4 mo later. I had another booner scoped out. That was nanaged to take 14 deer a year. 40,000 acres west of Andrews. Primo blue quail, dove coyotes, a few deer. Old mm an had my buddy anfd his sil running it and with dementia he forgot to pay the lease. Oil co didnt want to pay damages for surface on it anyway. Adios after 30 years. 10, 000 acres on Independance Creek with 500 year old live oaks to sit in with a bow and white tails to 160 inches near Pecos R in remote, rough canyon country. Guys dad died and he married a blonde city slicker who wanted him to quit being one of Texass best ER drs and see the world. Spring fed lakes with bassx and rainbows and catfish where you could see spearheads 12c eet deep in the crystal clear water.
I could go on but im starting to feel ill.

I don’t feel sorry for you.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SandBilly

SOB, just have to “hunker down” bullets flying? You guys are FOS.

As I said before.... you haven't got a clue. What they said about hunting public land in Louisiana is correct. I wish it wasn't, but it is.

This happened many years ago. Was hunting public land for deer where you had to check in each morning and out when you left. Couldn't stay the night. Was in line the next morning, waiting to check in and two fellows in front of me were talking. One asked the other if he saw anything the day before and the fellow answered, " I didn't see anything, but I did get a couple of sound shots. I know it was deer in the brush, but when I checked, I hadn't hit anything." The fellow behind me heard the conversation too. We both left. That was the last time I hunted on public land, in Louisiana.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Nope. Never had one and never will. I can’t see spending thousands on a lease and the required equipment for a chance at sitting in a stand and shooting a deer or feral pig. I just don’t like deer or feral pigs enough to spend that kind of money. Everyone is different and their motivations are different. I like the wilderness and the solitude of the high mountains, I like knowing that I could <theoretically> take off on foot and walk, hike and climb for weeks without crossing a fence or ever seeing private property. In this state and with the proper tags I can hunt 3 species of deer, elk, moose, 2 types of sheep, goats, and a myriad of small game and birds including pheasant 3 types of grouse, Hungarian partridge, quail, ducks, geese, etc. I’ve almost completed my North American deer slam with only a Coues deer left to complete it.....that’ll take some travel since there ain’t no Coues deer here. 😁 All of that is no more than a 4 hour drive from my front door and there’s more public land than I could cover in 10 lifetimes.

For some people hunting is about the camaraderie, for others it’s about success, for me it’s about the solitude of being in the mountains and the experiences that few will get the privilege of having.

To each his own and we all have the limitations of time, money, family, health, etc.

To the OP....I hope you can secure another good lease and continue to hunt and enjoy the companionship of great company. 👍

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Nope. Never had one and never will. I can’t see spending thousands on a lease and the required equipment for a chance at sitting in a stand and shooting a deer or feral pig. I just don’t like deer or feral pigs enough to spend that kind of money. Everyone is different and their motivations are different. I like the wilderness and the solitude of the high mountains, I like knowing that I could <theoretically> take off on foot and walk, hike and climb for weeks without crossing a fence or ever seeing private property. In this state and with the proper tags I can hunt 3 species of deer, elk, moose, 2 types of sheep, goats, and a myriad of small game and birds including pheasant 3 types of grouse, Hungarian partridge, quail, ducks, geese, etc. I’ve almost completed my North American deer slam with only a Coues deer left to complete it.....that’ll take some travel since there ain’t no Coues deer here. 😁 All of that is no more than a 4 hour drive from my front door and there’s more public land than I could cover in 10 lifetimes.

For some people hunting is about the camaraderie, for others it’s about success, for me it’s about the solitude of being in the mountains and the experiences that few will get the privilege of having.

To each his own and we all have the limitations of time, money, family, health, etc.

To the OP....I hope you can secure another good lease and continue to hunt and enjoy the companionship of great company. 👍

That’s what I said.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I didn’t read all the replies but apparently we’re on the same page. 😉

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
This thread is gonna be fugging epic!!!!!

Woooo eeeeee!!!!

Getting it done on your own
No shoot house bait stuff.

Ya baby.............

Last edited by renegade50; 03/07/19.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah well, it’s bedtime.

Later...

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Bullshyt. There ain't no feeders, food plots, elevated blinds or "managed' trophy bucks on public land and atv's are not allowed. If you lease guys want us to think you really hunt, you aught to at least keep the feeders and blinds out of sight when you take your hero shots with youir grain fed "trophies".

As I stated.....not all leases are operated that way. As far as the 4 wheelers....most of the west has plenty of two-tracks that are used by hunters. I’ve lived in both places, so...I’m fairly well versed in both. However, I will reiterate, to those that suffer from comprehension deficiencies, “not” all leases are operated as you seem to believe! memtb

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I've never had to hunt private land but that's how I always pictured lease hunting. I'd say I'm surprised to see that it's caused such a brew-ha-ha but this is the 'fire'.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AcesNeights

That kind of hunting really sounds great, but where I live, its just not gonna happen. Not enough public land is the main reason. I cant speak for others, but the most I ever spent was $500/yr for a lease and it was on the old Patmos Plantation. I know that probably doesn't mean anything to you, but back in the day, it was recognized in several hunting magazines as one of the best places in the US for deer hunting. Most of the time, I've paid $250-$350/ yr to hunt. The most I ever had to drive was 30 miles or so and most of the time it was 10 miles or less from my house to the lease. We never camped out to hunt or had a hunting camp.... we spent the night at home.

I have got a question for you. What are you gonna do when you get older, or God forbid hurt, and not able to navigate the mountains or the walking necessary to bird hunt? Give up hunting? Enjoy it while you can.

Just the way it is.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just like public land.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 3 of 62 1 2 3 4 5 61 62

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

490 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 42 invisible), 2,312 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,333
Posts18,526,724
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.