~MolɔĢ€Ėn LabĆ© SkĆ½la~
GB1

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by SandBilly
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Ive lost more places to hunt than you could ever imagine. I mean huge multi ten thousand to 200 thousand acre places to hunt tgat you probably couldnt pay to get permission to hunt on.

Rancher dies and kids sell. Unreal.

The 104 thousand acres i got my booner on, the rancher passed 4 mo later. I had another booner scoped out. That was nanaged to take 14 deer a year. 40,000 acres west of Andrews. Primo blue quail, dove coyotes, a few deer. Old mm an had my buddy anfd his sil running it and with dementia he forgot to pay the lease. Oil co didnt want to pay damages for surface on it anyway. Adios after 30 years. 10, 000 acres on Independance Creek with 500 year old live oaks to sit in with a bow and white tails to 160 inches near Pecos R in remote, rough canyon country. Guys dad died and he married a blonde city slicker who wanted him to quit being one of Texass best ER drs and see the world. Spring fed lakes with bassx and rainbows and catfish where you could see spearheads 12c eet deep in the crystal clear water.
I could go on but im starting to feel ill.

I donā€™t feel sorry for you.

As you well know, ive been blessed. Got you to trail one for me didnt He? grin

And, you know i know Hes blessed you too.

Last edited by jaguartx; 03/07/19.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ive lost more places to hunt than you could ever imagine. I mean huge multi ten thousand to 200 thousand acre places to hunt tgat you probably couldnt pay to get permission to hunt on.

Rancher dies and kids sell. Unreal.

The 104 thousand acres i got my booner on, the rancher passed 4 mo later. I had another booner scoped out. That was nanaged to take 14 deer a year. 40,000 acres west of Andrews. Primo blue quail, dove coyotes, a few deer. Old mm an had my buddy anfd his sil running it and with dementia he forgot to pay the lease. Oil co didnt want to pay damages for surface on it anyway. Adios after 30 years. 10, 000 acres on Independance Creek with 500 year old live oaks to sit in with a bow and white tails to 160 inches near Pecos R in remote, rough canyon country. Guys dad died and he married a blonde city slicker who wanted him to quit being one of Texass best ER drs and see the world. Spring fed lakes with bassx and rainbows and catfish where you could see spearheads 12c eet deep in the crystal clear water.
I could go on but im starting to feel ill.

I donā€™t feel sorry for you.

As you well know, ive been blessed. Got you to trail one for me didnt He? grin

And, you know i know Hes blessed you too.

whistle grin

~MolɔĢ€Ėn LabĆ© SkĆ½la~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Reloder28
All of that hassle is why I quit leases years ago. Itā€™s much easier to pay for a guided hunt. I get fed, waited on & donā€™t have to get my hands messy.

Never did that, but I have found a place about an hour away that has trophy deer only hunts with very limited hunter numbers. Not cheap, but nothing like Texas or one of the big-buck states. Will likely try it in the next few years. Ain't getting any younger, and dragging a deer for a mile or so and throwing it in the trunk gets tougher every year.

In the meantime, we have lots of public land here. Took two deer with a crossbow last season about 20 minutes fom home, and passed on a few meat deer during the rifle season. It's very unlikely that I'll ever see a big buck there, let alone shoot one, but except for weekends and the rifle opener, not that many people hunt there, so it's practically all mine a lot of the time.

What fresh Hell is this?
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Good job. As dad always told me, "You cant eat the horns".

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Nope. Never had one and never will. I canā€™t see spending thousands on a lease and the required equipment for a chance at sitting in a stand and shooting a deer or feral pig. I just donā€™t like deer or feral pigs enough to spend that kind of money. Everyone is different and their motivations are different. I like the wilderness and the solitude of the high mountains, I like knowing that I could <theoretically> take off on foot and walk, hike and climb for weeks without crossing a fence or ever seeing private property. In this state and with the proper tags I can hunt 3 species of deer, elk, moose, 2 types of sheep, goats, and a myriad of small game and birds including pheasant 3 types of grouse, Hungarian partridge, quail, ducks, geese, etc. Iā€™ve almost completed my North American deer slam with only a Coues deer left to complete it.....thatā€™ll take some travel since there ainā€™t no Coues deer here. šŸ˜ All of that is no more than a 4 hour drive from my front door and thereā€™s more public land than I could cover in 10 lifetimes.

For some people hunting is about the camaraderie, for others itā€™s about success, for me itā€™s about the solitude of being in the mountains and the experiences that few will get the privilege of having.

To each his own and we all have the limitations of time, money, family, health, etc.

To the OP....I hope you can secure another good lease and continue to hunt and enjoy the companionship of great company. šŸ‘

Not everyone is blessed at birth with those opportunities, and many canā€™t or choose not to leave their place of birth. Within 4 hours of our place, we can cover most of your hunting opportunities plus....Bison, antelope, wolves, and grizzlies ( though stopped by liberal judges), and lions. I was fortunate to get a job 1800 miles from my birthplace, and with some sacrifices....provided myself with the same opportunities that some are born with!

We all try to make the best of what opportunities we are presented with. Different doesnā€™t make it wrong.....just different! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 03/07/19.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

ā€œIā€™d like to be a good riflemanā€¦..but, I prefer to be a good hunterā€! memtb 2024
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Yeah well, itā€™s bedtime.

Later...

SandBilly, Iā€™m guessing, when you wake in the morning......youā€™ll still be clueless! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

ā€œIā€™d like to be a good riflemanā€¦..but, I prefer to be a good hunterā€! memtb 2024
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Oldman3....Your question is a fair question and certainly one Iā€™ve considered. As I stated in my post, limitations as far as health, etc are a good reason for one to adapt to a different style of hunting. Disabled hunters here are allowed special concessions as far as access and modes of transportation allowed so even guys that are severely disabled are still able to hunt, albeit not in the manner I described earlier. Iā€™ve got a place up north and could boat into areas virtually untouched and hunt from the beaches (not the boat) during the right times. Thereā€™s a lot of options and I couldnā€™t address them all here but if I was forced to lease and hunt from a stand over a feeder Iā€™d probably just fish full time and let my boys do the heavy lifting. šŸ˜. That day will come eventually and Iā€™ll have to cross that bridge when the time comes. Everyone has to decide for themselves when itā€™s time to hang up the backpack and boots. I certainly support the adaptations that allow disabled hunters to continue to pursue their passion and have the utmost respect for those that refuse to quit.

I am not passing judgment on anyone that has to lease ground for any number of reasons. I suppose if I wasnā€™t spoiled by the wilderness Iā€™d be happy to hunt in any way that was needed to.

ļæ½Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.ļæ½ ļæ½General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~MolɔĢ€Ėn LabĆ© SkĆ½la~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by memtb
Yeah well, itā€™s bedtime.

Later...

SandBilly, Iā€™m guessing, when you wake in the morning......youā€™ll still be clueless! memtb

Keep telling yourself whatever you need to, to make yourself feel like a real hunter.

Go buy a bag of corn tomorrow, youā€™ll feel better.

~MolɔĢ€Ėn LabĆ© SkĆ½la~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Or maybe you can post a pic of 5 doe you shot in the gut at 50 yards and had dogs track down for you?

~MolɔĢ€Ėn LabĆ© SkĆ½la~
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by memtb

We all try to make the best of what opportunities we are presented with. Different doesnā€™t make it wrong.....just different! memtb

Agreed!

ļæ½Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.ļæ½ ļæ½General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~MolɔĢ€Ėn LabĆ© SkĆ½la~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For you know it alls about hunting private land AND PAYING FOR THE PRIVILIGE , what in hell makes you think we canā€™t, or donā€™t, hunt just like you ? Difference is that I donā€™t have to apply for a particular section and hope I get drawn and keep doing it year after year to get enough points. And I can go and scout anytime it suits me.

And the game is wary since they donā€™t enjoy ten months out of the year with no humans around. And if I let a buck walk, thereā€™s not a guy a half mile away thatā€™s gonna kill him.

Thereā€™s no rule that says you have to put up corn feeders. I killed more deer before they became common than I have since. I donā€™t own a four wheeler and never have.

Yā€™all think youā€™re building yourself up by tearing someone else down.

Youā€™re not. Youā€™re just showing your ass.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Oldman3....Your question is a fair question and certainly one Iā€™ve considered. As I stated in my post, limitations as far as health, etc are a good reason for one to adapt to a different style of hunting. Disabled hunters here are allowed special concessions as far as access and modes of transportation allowed so even guys that are severely disabled are still able to hunt, albeit not in the manner I described earlier. Iā€™ve got a place up north and could boat into areas virtually untouched and hunt from the beaches (not the boat) during the right times. Thereā€™s a lot of options and I couldnā€™t address them all here but if I was forced to lease and hunt from a stand over a feeder Iā€™d probably just fish full time and let my boys do the heavy lifting. šŸ˜. That day will come eventually and Iā€™ll have to cross that bridge when the time comes. Everyone has to decide for themselves when itā€™s time to hang up the backpack and boots. I certainly support the adaptations that allow disabled hunters to continue to pursue their passion and have the utmost respect for those that refuse to quit.

I am not passing judgment on anyone that has to lease ground for any number of reasons. I suppose if I wasnā€™t spoiled by the wilderness Iā€™d be happy to hunt in any way that was needed to.

Several people have given the impression that every lease hunter sets in a box stand over a feeder. That's not entirely correct. I'm sure lots of people do, but lots of people dont. I have a feeder on my own property and I feed the deer and yes, there is a stand 175 yds from the feeder that I take pics from. I also will let young kids take their first deer from this stand, mostly nieces and nephews. One deer only and then you have to hunt like the rest of us. That is the only stationary stand that I own. I have 1 ladder stand, 1 loc-on stand, and 6 climbing stands. I also use a pirogue to get into the bottoms where its too far for the road hunters to walk. Spending the day in the bottom is about as good as it gets.

Just because you hunt a lease doesn't mean you dont have to hunt. I'm not sure I'd be very good at setting on a mountain side, looking thru a spotting scope, trying to spot deer or whatever over a big area.... never tried it. But put me in the woods, where you cant see 100 yds in any direction, pick out the best place(s) to hunt in 5000 acres, and then your in my kind of hunting. A few yds one way or the other can be the difference in being successful or not. There isn't any 500 or 400 or 300 yd shots, very few 200 yd shots, and most shots are 100 yd or less. You have to get up close, learn to stalk, be quiet, use the wind, etc. Not saying its any harder than the kind of hunting you do, just different.

Getting old or hurt really hampers the hunting. I'm both, but getting in the pirogue and paddling a couple miles will get me away from everyone. Then climbing a stand and setting there while waiting for a deer or hog is the way I do it, but be sure you're in a good place or you're wasting your time.

I wish I had had the opportunity to try your kind of hunting when I was younger. I know it's very different from what I do and I'm guessing its a lot of fun.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fella, you make it a point to show your ass here everyday. The same as Leroy and Paddler. Figured you turned in your guns, like a good lil commie.

~MolɔĢ€Ėn LabĆ© SkĆ½la~
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Dang, no, never had a lease too lose, but, why did those guys cut the pines, get the wind right and sneak in after em, that's the fun part.

Trump Won!
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Curdog is no commie. More like a hardheaded Westmoreland or Patton.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Or John McCain.

~MolɔĢ€Ėn LabĆ© SkĆ½la~
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Lost a great duck and goose lease when the owner died and his SIL booted everybody off. Never found one as good as the place we lost but if you don't own it then sooner or later it will be gone.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Nope. No deep state traitor who would sell us out for billions.

He just cant see a pussy grabber in the WH.

Imho, he has his requirements and accepts no less.

I accept that God changed Saul to Paul and that God used the heathen King Cyrus and God has changed Trump from a pussy grabbing Clinton pal dimocrap into a nation loving leader and believer. There are scriptures referring to the same metamorphosis but i cant find them now.

I Dindo Nuffin
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Canā€™t remember gut shooting a doe...but I do recall gut shooting a little bull elk, that I jumped in the timber. Wasnā€™t my proudest moment, required a second shot. For quite a few years I hunted elk, like I hunted deer in Louisiana...the thicker the timber the better. No feeders, no stands, no fences, and on foot....a little different than your preconceived concept of lease hunting. Just like hunting in the west, not all hunting is the same! Of course, you already knew that! memtb

Page 4 of 62 1 2 3 4 5 6 61 62

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 219 Wasp, 117LBS, 21, 12344mag, 66 invisible), 2,628 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,386
Posts18,527,635
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.