Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 62 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 61 62
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SandBilly
Fella, you make it a point to show your ass here everyday. The same as Leroy and Paddler. Figured you turned in your guns, like a good lil commie.

Fellow let me tell you something. I know Gene (Curdog to you) and he is a good man. He'll give you the shirt off his back, if you needed it and he has the right to his beliefs, just as you do.

Gene is a hell of a lot smarter and more interesting than you think you are. I proved that earlier tonight..... remember?

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Up here I hunt crown land, lots of area to hunt.

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Partsman, I read about guided hunts in Canada. Do the guides have to hunt public land or do they lease up the land and sell the hunts? Are guides allowed to lease public land? Is crown land and public land the same thing? Are you allowed to hunt on private land without permission?

Just curious.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just curious?????

How much do decent leases run? How many others share it?

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Just curious?????

How much do decent leases run? How many others share it?

I cant answer for others. I know of a place where doctors and lawyers out of Baton Rouge paid $40/acre and that was 20 yrs ago. The most I ever paid was $500/yr for approx 1500 acres and there were 10 of us in the lease. Most leases I have belong to were in the $250 to $350 range and they varied from 3000-5000 acres. There were 20-25 hunters in those leases. The rule of thumb around here is no more than 1 hunter per 100 acres of lease. More acres per hunter is better, but the price per hunter goes up. We lease timber company land and pay an amount equal to the taxes. We know them and they know we wont litter or damage the trees. Been leasing from them for 30 yrs.

Actually my Dad belongs to the lease and I use to. Now that I've moved back to this part of the state, I plan to get back into the club. Last year it was $350, about 20 hunters, and about 4000 acres. The lease is 10 minutes from the house.

Lots of places they pay a lot more, or so I've heard.

Added: Different leases have different rules. Some are good and some aren't. The rules and hunters can make the lease/club a good or bad one. I stayed 1 year in one club.... no rules and some of the fellows wanted to drink and hunt at the same time. Not for me. Some clubs only shoot certain size deer, or you must take a doe, or just one buck, the rules are endless, but being a member, you usually have a say. I wouldn't pay my money if I couldn't have a say. My idea may get voted down, but I had my say.

Last edited by Oldman3; 03/07/19.

IC B2

hanco Offline OP
Campfire Savant
OP Offline
Campfire Savant
We can shoot one good buck and one cull buck, also one doe on the lease I’m still on. The lease is 2000.00 each year. Come to think of it, half is due soon.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Quit bitchin’

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Whether or not you have a lease, feeder and stand or hunt open ground I wish you all the best success in your pursuits.

Oldman3, Thanks for your reply and you’re right in that not every lease is hunted the same way. I think between the posts here and a lot of hunting type TV shows that’s the impression that’s reinforced. Good luck to you any way you choose to hunt! 👍

PS.....I take disabled hunters out as their “designated helper” to do the heavy lifting if needed. Usually their attitude is like mine, it’s just a blessing to be out there. I’d rather people get to enjoy what makes them happy rather than sit home in protest.

Last edited by AcesNeights; 03/08/19.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Oldman3, I'm bettin' you have a Ron Chapman pirogue. Am I correct?

hanco, sorry you lost your lease. BTDT. It sucks. Glad to hear that at least you have another.

Some folks that are lucky enough to live where they can hunt public land sure seem to think that opportunity somehow makes them a superior person. And they sure are judgemental too. And they sure seem to think they know how other people do things, not to mention how well these people they have never laid eyes on can or cannot shoot.

Others with the same fortunate circumstances seem to appreciate what they have and leave it at that.

Last edited by GunDoc7; 03/08/19.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by GunDoc7
Some folks that are lucky enough to live where they can hunt public land sure seem to think that opportunity somehow makes them a superior person. And they sure are judgemental too. And they sure seem to think they know how other people do things, not to mention how well these people they have never laid eyes on can or cannot shoot.

Others with the same fortunate circumstances seem to appreciate what they have and leave it at that.

99% broke dic public land hunter on 24hrfire’ (Have severe class envy) vs. lease hunter on fire’ (financially successful in life)

It’s amazing how making something out of your life allows you to enjoy life…until you have to listen to people who pissed their lives away, and aren’t financially able to enjoy life.

"He is far from Stupid"

”person, who happens to have an above-average level of intelligence

– DocRocket (In reference to ElkSlayer91)

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
LMFAO. 😂

You really know you’re successful and have made it to the top in life when you can afford to have a 500 acre deer lease in Texas. 😂😂

Public land hunting ain’t necessarily cheap 😉. Horses, flight services, good equipment doesn’t come cheap. I think you have a false image of hunting our own land.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
LMFAO. 😂

You really know you’re successful and have made it to the top in life when you can afford to have a 500 acre deer lease in Texas. 😂😂
Last deer lease I hunted in Texas was 16 sections. You couldn't walk hunt it all...even in one season. It was in the mountains of *WEST* Texas.

Public land hunting ain’t necessarily cheap 😉. Horses, flight services, good equipment doesn’t come cheap. I think you have a false image of hunting our own land.
99% of these broke dic public land hunters here on the fire wouldn't know the first thing about handling a horse...let alone own a saddle blanket.

As far as equipment....does it take some kind of "special" equipment to hunt public land?

Do I need a special type of rifle, binoculars, backpack, clothing, cooking gear, sleeping bag...toilet paper...to hunt "public land"...or do I need to just get on a public forum on the internet, and create some freaking separate type of narcissistic alien who is "qualified" to hunt "public land"?

Tell me...what's the difference in walking 16 sections of leased land in 13* F in the West Texas mountains during the rut in December vs. a person walking "public Land"?

Tell me...what's the difference in me walking thousands of acres in Colorado at 8500+ elev. elk hunting (guiding or self-guided) on a "lease" vs. walking "public land" in Colorado elk hunting?

I'll tell you the "difference".......it's the difference between mentally sick people getting on the freaking internet in a public forum making a complete bubbling azz out of them selves and degrading someone attempting to enjoy the outdoors versus a normal mentally stable person getting on the internet in a public forum conversing with other mentally stable people and "enjoying" other's stories about "enjoying" the outdoors.

Obviously you missed the "99%" remark.

I thought you were in the 1% who wouldn't make an azz out of their self, based on your previous postings on here.

Last edited by ElkSlayer91; 03/08/19.

"He is far from Stupid"

”person, who happens to have an above-average level of intelligence

– DocRocket (In reference to ElkSlayer91)

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Yeah, three leases in the last 15 years because of clear cutting.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Nope. Never had one and never will. I can’t see spending thousands on a lease and the required equipment for a chance at sitting in a stand and shooting a deer or feral pig. I just don’t like deer or feral pigs enough to spend that kind of money. Everyone is different and their motivations are different. I like the wilderness and the solitude of the high mountains, I like knowing that I could <theoretically> take off on foot and walk, hike and climb for weeks without crossing a fence or ever seeing private property. In this state and with the proper tags I can hunt 3 species of deer, elk, moose, 2 types of sheep, goats, and a myriad of small game and birds including pheasant 3 types of grouse, Hungarian partridge, quail, ducks, geese, etc. I’ve almost completed my North American deer slam with only a Coues deer left to complete it.....that’ll take some travel since there ain’t no Coues deer here. 😁 All of that is no more than a 4 hour drive from my front door and there’s more public land than I could cover in 10 lifetimes.

For some people hunting is about the camaraderie, for others it’s about success, for me it’s about the solitude of being in the mountains and the experiences that few will get the privilege of having.

To each his own and we all have the limitations of time, money, family, health, etc.

To the OP....I hope you can secure another good lease and continue to hunt and enjoy the companionship of great company. 👍

Good post....

We're all hunters here.... hence I find the arguing of where one has available to hunt a little ridiculous.
let the anti hunters argue.... not us...

I've never hunted leased land...

I've hunted on military reservations in my youth.
Family farms when I got a little older.

Northern Wisconsin and Northern MN, forestland, that was either belonging to Paper companies or the State Forests.

Public land in Montana, Washington and here in Oregon...kinda why I moved to Oregon in 1995, and endure the liberal insanity out of Potlandia....

I get permission to shoot sage rats on private ranches, but that has cost me nothing. Treat folks property with respect, and its never been a problem.

I've learned if you want to avoid, dumbasses on public land, just skip the first few opening days of the season.. most of them tire if they don't see anything the first two days or so...they usually are the types that
a shot on the paper at 50 yds and they think they are zeroed... and a box of ammo lasts them 8 to 10 yrs....
and if they do shoot anything, they swear it was taken at 500 yds...not the 50 yds it really was...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Oldman3
Fella, you make it a point to show your ass here everyday. The same as Leroy and Paddler. Figured you turned in your guns, like a good lil commie.

Fellow let me tell you something. I know Gene (Curdog to you) and he is a good man. He'll give you the shirt off his back, if you needed it and he has the right to his beliefs, just as you do.

Gene is a hell of a lot smarter and more interesting than you think you are. I proved that earlier tonight..... remember?

I have no reason to dislike Sand Billy and he reflects his experiences of where he hunts...

but I hate to see good folks argue between each other...

all I can add to this, is that anyone who has had the pleasure of meeting and getting to know either Gene or Randy ( much less both of them) the world is full of great guys like either one of them.. but I can also personally say, knowing them both... you'll never find anyone better than either gentlemen...

actually I hold both in high enough esteem, I'm proud that they even give someone like me the time of day.
which they gladly do... and as said, Gene will give you the shirt off his back if you need it... and so will Randy....

and neither one is the type to cast the first stone in a disagreement.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

hanco Offline OP
Campfire Savant
OP Offline
Campfire Savant
Public land here is mostly in the piney woods of east Texas. During deer season a hunter will be behind every tree. It isn’t safe to be in the woods. I’m sure it’s better in other states. The country is more open, less people to run into.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by memtb
Originally Posted by hanco
I’ve hunted public land in Texas, it’s scary as hell.

Same in Louisiana, should have a good life insurance policy. The few times I hunted public land in Louisiana, there was quite a bit shooting well before daylight. You just “hunker down”, and hope you don’t slow down a round! memtb

The only time I've ever been actually shot at while hunting, was on public lands. That's why I use a climber on public lands.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
hanco,

That sucks, man.

I don't particularly care for the way this whole pay-to-play thing has evolved in the past few decades but depending on locale, many folks aren't afforded a lot of options.
If one looks at it through a truly objective lens, it's not a hell of a lot different than the person renting a home/apartment/commercial building because they either can't/won't justify the expense of ownership.

Interesting takes above from various folks here. Some of the same folks that vehemently oppose leasing land will echo "no free lunch" in other topics/discussions. smile

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Never understood the satisfaction in lease hunting? You really feal like you’ve accomplished something?

I'm sure it's different for some folks, but leasing is essentially a trespass fee. It's what you pay for access to hunt an area.

hanco Offline OP
Campfire Savant
OP Offline
Campfire Savant
I don’t get any satisfaction out of lease hunting, but if you want to hunt here, that’s about all there is. Texas is mostly privately owned.

Page 5 of 62 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 61 62

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (17CalFan, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 16Racing, 1234, 66 invisible), 2,502 guests, and 1,355 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,351
Posts18,527,018
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.