-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 62 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 61 62
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
After consulting my support group, via PM, we’ve concluded a little criticism is good for you all.

Currently accepting complaints in the complaint department...

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by SandBilly
After consulting my support group, via PM, we’ve concluded a little criticism is good for you all.

Currently accepting complaints in the complaint department...

PM sent 😄

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ElkSlayer91
[quote=AcesNeights]LMFAO. 😂

Tell me...what's the difference in walking 16 sections of leased land in 13* F in the West Texas mountains during the rut in December vs. a person walking "public Land"?

I don't have to pay thousands a year to do it, and I'm not confined to where I have to hunt...and I'm far from a broke dick and unsuccessful. Your arrogance is glaring and imbecilic. Is that a Texas thing? I don't think so. Some of my best friends here are Texans and have Class.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm surprised TX & LA DNRs don't buy some land. Iowa just opened up a new purchase, Oxford Junction. I think they are constantly on the lookout/in the process of acquiring new land.

Politics is War by Other Means
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
It was good reading this thread and to know I am not alone. Dad sold our 526 acres in Woodville MS this past August, for 1/2 price too, he got old quick, started making poor decisions and its gone! Can't tell that man anything. Had that land since 1991. The deer hunting the last 5 years was just the best ever, we were killing big bucks.

I still have my 40 acres in the swamp and I will still kill 1-4 deer a year, But there are no big rack bucks like MS had. I think about losing MS everyday. 30 years of memories that are kinda painful now.

I am looking for a lease but in Louisiana, it's hard to find a decent spot period - not even talking about the money yet, just find a good spot if you can....

Public land in Louisiana IS A JOKE and yes bullets whizing by your head... BTDT... in the Atchafalaya Basin and on LA WMA's - horrible like described above

J Simoneaud

Supper's ready!! you have 2 choices, Eat or Don't eat.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Oldman3
Fella, you make it a point to show your ass here everyday. The same as Leroy and Paddler. Figured you turned in your guns, like a good lil commie.

Fellow let me tell you something. I know Gene (Curdog to you) and he is a good man. He'll give you the shirt off his back, if you needed it and he has the right to his beliefs, just as you do.

Gene is a hell of a lot smarter and more interesting than you think you are. I proved that earlier tonight..... remember?

I’m obliged for the comments, Randy, but a loudmouth like Sandbilly is not worth a response.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sorry to hear about that Hanco.

My parents sold all of the old dairy, most to my sister and brother in-law but the woods across the road where I hunted was sold outside the family. So I know the feeling
My son and I leased some land from a different BIL for 1000$. I'm not sure how many acres about a 150 I think.

I only own a large yard a long deep 27.4 acres at my house. I've shot 1 buck in 10 years and I should have let him walk.

Last edited by 1911a1; 03/08/19.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
Sorry to hear it Hanco.
I feel your pain.
3 leases in the last 5 years in Missouri for me.

Your mind is your primary weapon. Never let it get rusty.

Endowment Member NRA
hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
I had good luck today. The guy that is taking over half of that lease bought my bunk house, feeders, stands, and pig pen today. I sold it for less than what it was worth, (2000.00) but would have spent 600.00 moving all that stuff. In a way I’m up 4800 bucks, 2000 today for cabin etc, 1100 due for lease, 1200.00 corn through December, 500 to plant oats. More if you count fuel. I’ll miss that lease and a few of the guys, but would have to give up one of my leases if I retire if I retire anyway.

Last edited by hanco; 03/08/19.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Yep, I joined that club this year too. We hunted on this great place in llano County and got along great with the rancher. Well, he got sick and almost died, and had to hand the running of the ranch over to his son. We never had the same kind of interaction with the son but he left us alone to do our thing for two years. Well this year he's decided he thinks he can make more money selling day hunts for aoudad or something. I don't think that will turn out the way he wants, but that's neither her nor there. I'm left looking for a new place for my family to hunt. It hurts to loose that place. It was beautiful and had lots of deer and pigs.

IC B3

hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by shortfinger
Yep, I joined that club this year too. We hunted on this great place in llano County and got along great with the rancher. Well, he got sick and almost died, and had to hand the running of the ranch over to his son. We never had the same kind of interaction with the son but he left us alone to do our thing for two years. Well this year he's decided he thinks he can make more money selling day hunts for aoudad or something. I don't think that will turn out the way he wants, but that's neither her nor there. I'm left looking for a new place for my family to hunt. It hurts to loose that place. It was beautiful and had lots of deer and pigs.

Soon there won’t be an animal left if he day hunts.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Buckmasters bought a big ranch I used to hunt, now people pay big bucks to hunt there.

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by curdog4570
Originally Posted by Oldman3
Fella, you make it a point to show your ass here everyday. The same as Leroy and Paddler. Figured you turned in your guns, like a good lil commie.

Fellow let me tell you something. I know Gene (Curdog to you) and he is a good man. He'll give you the shirt off his back, if you needed it and he has the right to his beliefs, just as you do.

Gene is a hell of a lot smarter and more interesting than you think you are. I proved that earlier tonight..... remember?

I’m obliged for the comments, Randy, but a loudmouth like Sandbilly is not worth a response.

Lol. I’ve never given you [bleep] for being a commie. You stick with that, I’ll stick with the loudmouth stuff.

I don’t remember your nut rubber proving anything about being smart.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Originally Posted by ElkSlayer91
[quote=AcesNeights]LMFAO. 😂

Tell me...what's the difference in walking 16 sections of leased land in 13* F in the West Texas mountains during the rut in December vs. a person walking "public Land"?

I don't have to pay thousands a year to do it, and I'm not confined to where I have to hunt...and I'm far from a broke dick and unsuccessful. Your arrogance is glaring and imbecilic. Is that a Texas thing? I don't think so. Some of my best friends here are Texans and have Class.

luv 2safari makes a valid point here, the difference is money, not everyone has enough disposable income to pay lease fees as some have described here.

For example:

Hard working young man, wife, 2 kids, stay at home mom, kids in public school, lives in good sized city in TX/LA/other low % public land state. Grew up hunting, wants to continue. Has decent paying job. (Well, I think $20 an hour is decent, for a young person in many places )

$40000 ($20/hr job x 50 weeks a year paid x 40hrs/week)
-10000 (taxes)
$30000
-12000 (rent, you TX fellows correct me if $1k a month is a reasonable rate in a good size city in TX )
$18000
-7800 (food/supplies @ $150/wk, dude has two kids, remember)
$10200
-5400 (Health insurance at about same rate my wife pays for us)
$4800
-1560 (gas for commuting at $30/wk)
$3240
-500 (car insurance, 1 vehicle/yr)
$2740
-500 (ave car repairs/tires/oil changes/etc)
$2240
-720 ( $ 60 month electricity, they live frugally, no A/C)
$1520 remaining if lucky (and I didn't even add in clothes/shoes for him and family)

Hard to imagine this young man who desires to hunt will be able to do much, given his circumstances. And according to many reports, the hunting population is aging and there is a need to recruit younger folks.

If he lived in an area with ample public land and was frugal and saved his pennies, he might be able to afford a license/tag and be able to get out in the woods for a bit. It's either that or put the wife to work, get another job & spend less time with his kids, and continue to live in a mostly lease your hunting area State.

You guys back "East" are blessed with liberal bag limits on whitetail, long seasons for various weapons, hogs, somewhat milder weather in cases, but are saddled with having to find a way to afford a place to hunt. And cursed with crowds, such as they are, on what public land is available. When I hunted the Allegheny NF in PA I was amazed at the gunfire on opening day. I had been warned if I hunted to get my back up against a BIG tree, not move, and hope I didn't catch a round from the front. Friends there didn't hunt on opening day.

We folks out here in States with lots of public land have to put up with low tag numbers, deer that can be in one spot today and 10 miles away tomorrow if the migration has started, having to cover miles of land to spot an animal, either by glassing or moving and looking, in some cases wondering if something will come along and eat us or our kill, or both. But we have the benefit, at times, of not seeing another hunter if we're willing to get away from a road. And we don't have to pay what seems to us exorbitant fees to lease someone else's land.

I'm not sure what I'd do if I was stuck having to live in one of those States with little parcels of public land. I grew up out here and have always enjoyed the freedom to take a hike for miles and miles and miles should I choose. The only fences at times are grazing allotment fences, the only roads an old logging road or even a wagon road.

Good luck to you folks who have lost your leases recently. I guess be grateful you have the financial resources to look for another situation. I'd hate to be in your shoes, no matter how much game you get to harvest. I'm not lucky that way, in harvesting lots of animals, but if I can walk around the wilds of the west for a day and not see much in the way of human influence, I'm a very happy hunter.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Lots of misconceptions here about leases and lease hunting. Some have politely tried to explain parts of the ins and outs involved.

Some understand and get it, some don’t and probably never will.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R

I'm gonna steal dis mofo,s idea!!!!

crazy crazy

hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
A wise man told me that nothing is ever perfect. That statement applies to free hunting and paying for a lease too. If you own a place you have taxes, so it’s not really free either. We all do what we can to go hunting and have fun.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
Lots of misconceptions here about leases and lease hunting. Some have politely tried to explain parts of the ins and outs involved.

Some understand and get it, some don’t and probably never will.

Some understand it just fine.

I don’t have a problem with leases, i understand it if that’s all you have.

I still don’t see the the satisfaction in sitting under bait, and pretending you didn’t something special.

I also know that’s not what all lease hunters do. But it sure is comical watching then get defensive.

Bait hunters generally take the bait..

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And

Private land hunting, no matter what, will NEVER be the same as public. Tell yourself whatever you want..

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ihookem
I never been on a lease, not even as a guest. I hunt huge chunks of public land . I am too poor to pay for land , so public it is. It is very tough hunting but is all I have. As for the lease you lost, how much was it? and you still have a place to hunt.

I lost access to a great patch of state land when the owner leased his camp to others, so I get how the OP feels.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
Page 7 of 62 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 61 62

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (160user, 257Bob, 300jimmy, 257 roberts, 10gaugemag, 222ND, 55 invisible), 2,593 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,372
Posts18,527,420
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.