J
Originally Posted by RickyD
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Jeffrey,

In all seriousness, do you have kids?

Are there kids around your pit?

Not yet, but one on the way. Wife is a pediatrician and gets to see first hand the child maladies and injuries all day, 5-6 days a week. Penny is around people including very young and very old on a very regular basis. Since meeting my beautiful wife there haven’t been many dull social moments and Penny goes pretty much everywhere with us. We built a new house this summer and have had a couple parties since. Usually 20-30 people or so. Lots of interaction with Penny. She’s often the star of the show, especially with the kiddos.

Jeffrey, no disrespect meant but you might want to take off those rose colored glasses you’re looking through as it regards pits.

You’ve been warned by real life experiences here by those who care enough to advise you.

Truth! Jeffrey you stand to lose more in your apparently young and successful life than you can ever imagine and monetarily is the smallest part,even though the sums could be very large.

Pits can be charming and lovable until they snap into demonic mode, and many do. You likely won't see it coming as most don't, but when it comes you will not be ready unless you are armed 100% 24/7 and the dog is never out of your sight.

Even then, it can be tragic for the humans mauled and all the more for the very young or old. Think long and hard about pits in a family environment or entertaining friends with their (shudder) children present. That is a recipe for disaster and a totally ruined life for many.

Ricky and Old Toot,
I respect both of your opinions and I appreciate your polite advice and guidance. I am aware of what dogs CAN do, but at the end of the day I disagree with the general sentiment here that all pit bulls are waiting to snap. I’m not a parent l, yet, and I would t be the least bit surprised if my outlook changes. We shall see. For now, I thinwe’ll be in good shape.

GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

"Pride is the only disease that makes everyone sick except the one that has it"
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Jeffrey,

Not yet, but one on the way. Wife is a pediatrician and gets to see first hand the child maladies and injuries all day, 5-6 days a week. Penny is around people including very young and very old on a very regular basis. Since meeting my beautiful wife there haven’t been many dull social moments and Penny goes pretty much everywhere with us. We built a new house this summer and have had a couple parties since. Usually 20-30 people or so. Lots of interaction with Penny. She’s often the star of the show, especially with the kiddos.

Jeffrey, no disrespect meant but you might want to take off those rose colored glasses you’re looking through as it regards pits.

You’ve been warned by real life experiences here by those who care enough to advise you.

Truth! Jeffrey you stand to lose more in your apparently young and successful life than you can ever imagine and monetarily is the smallest part,even though the sums could be very large.

Pits can be charming and lovable until they snap into demonic mode, and many do. You likely won't see it coming as most don't, but when it comes you will not be ready unless you are armed 100% 24/7 and the dog is never out of your sight.

Even then, it can be tragic for the humans mauled and all the more for the very young or old. Think long and hard about pits in a family environment or entertaining friends with their (shudder) children present. That is a recipe for disaster and a totally ruined life for many.

Ricky and Old Toot,
I respect both of your opinions and I appreciate your polite advice and guidance. I am aware of what dogs CAN do, but at the end of the day I disagree with the general sentiment here that all pit bulls are waiting to snap. I’m not a parent l, yet, and I would t be the least bit surprised if my outlook changes. We shall see. For now, I thinwe’ll be in good shape.

Good luck to y’all, Pard.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I

Get me? Or, do you still think I’m dumb?

You got that part right.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
The thing is, most people today have never seen any dog switch into a killing frenzy. All breeds are capable of doing so. But some have a greater inclination to go nuts with little or no prvocation. And some breeds are more capable than others of killing or maiming a human when they do go nuts.

Jack Russels are an absolute terror when they go berserk, which they will do at the slightest provocation of a little furry critter running away from them. I mentioned Yorkies earlier. Vermin killing Sobs. We had one 4 lb Yorky injure a full grown sheep so badly, the sheep had to be put down. Our JRT would wrestle and play with the grandkids until he fell over from exhaustion. But a cat or raccoon better not run out in front of him, or the fight was on.

Well trained disciplined dogs, every one. A Griffin in the chicken pen. A lab on loose rabbits. A healer on cats or another dog, after the poodle bit my brother. The poodle never had a chance. The healer never stopped until the poodle was dead. And there was not a person in the world who could have stopped him.

It is pretty amazing when the switch flips. You could not believe your little sweetie capable of such destruction.

Years and years of statistics show, pits not only have a heightened trigger to go nuts, but they have the capability to do inflict tremendous damage or death when they do.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The numbers and statistics cited by various posters probably list a small number of the actual dog fatalities and attacks nationwide. I agree that pits are by far the worst and most unpredictable but chows, rotweilers, huskies, akita, and a host of others and mongrel half breeds can be very dangerous to little kids. There was a lady killed a while back by a pack of 7 dachshunds inside a house. It is crazy to leave a helpless child in the company of a catch dog. And dogs and wolves (for that matter, cats) will maul and kill for the fun of it. I owned a pit cross that I picked up as a lost puppy. She was docile, loving, and friendly to visitors. She amazed me how vicious she turned one day when I shot a fox squirrel out of a backyard tree. Then grandkids came on the scene and she showed an alert interest in them, but not friendliness. We had to lock her in the backyard when kids visited. Luckily someone stole her and solved that issue.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
[/b]
Jeffrey,

Ricky and Old Toot,
I respect both of your opinions and I appreciate your polite advice and guidance. I am aware of what dogs CAN do, but at the end of the day I disagree with the general sentiment here that [b]all pit bulls are waiting to snap. I’m not a parent l, yet, and I would t be the least bit surprised if my outlook changes. We shall see. For now, I thinwe’ll be in good shape.

Jeffrey,

I know my post did not contain the word "all" and I don't believe OT's did either. We know not all do, but for those whose pits do snap, it is very often a immeasurable tragedy many never recover from. And the fix is as simple as getting a breed without such a resume for disaster.

Put your family first in all things, particularly this.

Best to you!

Rick

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I have the cutest granddaughter in the world and she lives with two yellow labs The younger male adores her. The older female wants nothing to do with her.

It scares me every day that, that older female is going to snap on her.

Have you talked to her parents about this? I would. Parents don't always see what they should. Even good ones.

Yes. See my edit to that post. Sounds like the female has finally accepted the granddaughter and likes to play with her now.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Fond memories of a dog and duty.
An elderly friend gave me a jack russel terrier pup and I raised him. Totally fearless no matter the size of whatever. He didn’t like ANY visitors except one, my Godmother. He took to her like a magnet. My uncle passed and she asked about Humbug. I brought him to her house and he had a long, hard look all around her place (in the country). When all was said and done he came back inside and laid on the floor between us close to her and facing me. She got up to get us another cup of coffee and he went with her to the kitchen and back then resumed his spot between us.

He’s got a new home now and he still prefers NO visitors except me and I think he only tolerates my presence. She and I walked outside during my last visit and Humbug stayed between us the whole time we walked around her pecan orchard. When we got back in the golf cart he forced his way between us. I think she’s in good hands.

If he had weighed 50 lbs, I would have had to put him down long ago. I’ve yet to see any canine so small and so totally fearless. Loyal, too.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Looks like a couple more of these loving dogs are being misunderstood.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/dall...rtion-of-womans-finger-911-call-released

Last edited by ammoman16; 03/08/19.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Almost if not daily attack

Dog Attack Leaves Olympic Trials Qualifier With Gaping Wounds and 21 Stitches

https://www.runnersworld.com/news/a26736114/dog-attacks-olympic-trials-qualifier-caitlin-keen/

[Linked Image]

Last edited by 700LH; 03/09/19.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 700LH

https://www.runnersworld.com/news/a26736114/dog-attacks-olympic-trials-qualifier-caitlin-keen/

[Linked Image]

From the link:
“I almost thought this dog was going to kill me, and for it to be described as happy and friendly is hard for me,” Keen said. “I don’t think this is a safe animal, and if this woman doesn’t live in a home with safe surroundings...why would you continue to put people in danger?”

Nanosecond= only slightly shorter than that pit bull's reasonable life expectancy!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I am aware of what dogs CAN do, but at the end of the day I disagree with the general sentiment here that all pit bulls are waiting to snap.

OK, you go ahead and determine which of the pitbull/pitbull mix dogs will be the ones to snap, and injure or kill people, then go ahead and kill them for the public good.

Oh, you're not sure? Here, one of the chambers in this S&W cylinder is empty.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

[Linked Image]

Classic pit bull; loving and friendly before, loving and friendly after.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

[Linked Image]

Classic pit bull; loving and friendly before, loving and friendly shot through the brain pan after.

Fixt

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by sse
I am aware of what dogs CAN do, but at the end of the day I disagree with the general sentiment here that all pit bulls are waiting to snap.

OK, you go ahead and determine which of the pitbull/pitbull mix dogs will be the ones to snap, and injure or kill people, then go ahead and kill them for the public good.

Oh, you're not sure? Here, one of the chambers in this S&W cylinder is empty.

I have a buddy who raised them for years with his uncle. The family one snapped at age 7, tore his aunt up pretty good. The dog was trained to put both paws in the air when the backdoor opened to get a treat...that is what he was doing when his uncle slid the door open and killed him with his deer rifle. My buddy loves pits but now that he has a family, he says there is no way in the world he would have one around his loved ones.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Man. This sounds like a gun control debate.

I've had 11 dogs in my life. 2 labs, a mastiff, a boxer, a mutt, a german shepard, a min pin (ex-wife), and last 4 being pit bitches. They have been the best 4 dogs I've ever had. Like many of you, I've been around a lot of dogs: Many of them hunting dogs. The only dogs that ever bit me were (2) different cocker spaniels and someone else's german shepard. All unprovoked. The bites weren't reported and I didn't sue. It makes me wonder how that feeds into statistics. I'm guessing a lot.

While I accept that pits are statistically the most deadly breed in the US, I also believe there's something being missed in this conversation. ANY dog's temperament is based on 50% breeding and 50% feeding. Essentially, all of the descendant Mastiffs breeds were used to kill. The pit, however, has been the most exploited. For the past 100 years, Mastiffs and their descendant breeds have been bred to remove aggression and make them marketable to families. This includes pits and staffies.

Unfortunately, SOME (not ALL) lines of pits are still bred to fight and its a shame because between them and the maniacs that raise them, the entire breed is given a bad name. These lines of the breed are used for fighting and guarding drugs or otherwise illegal activities. I do acknowledge that some snap. I do believe that owning a pit bares a greater responsibility to keep a watchful eye on each dog's behavior. I also believe (and this is highly opinionated) that, because mine have all been females, it may be based on a male's natural tendency to alpha up. Again, that is pure opinion based on my experience with my dogs. Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to euthanize one of mine that started show signs of aggression and I do test. Hand in the food bowl, food taken away, wrestling, etc, but thats the way my dad did it with his dogs when I was young, too, and none of them were pits.

I'm not trying to convince anyone to get a pit. I can't be convinced, however, that mine have been anything but the best family dogs I've ever had. People that can't comprehend the fact that thugs make this breed a bad thing should really consider how they feel about high capacity magazines. The same can be asked of them both: Are they NEEDED? No. Are their original designs based on creating incredible carnage? Yes. Are they misused by bad people? Absolutely. Are they hyped by the media? Yes. Have they been involved in unforeseen family tragedies? Yes. Do they bring some of us a heightened level of enjoyment in life. You bet.

Just 2 cents from a guy that's owned pits for years. Flame on.

“When debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.”
- Socrates
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by RayF
Man. This sounds like a gun control debate.

I've had 11 dogs in my life. 2 labs, a mastiff, a boxer, a mutt, a german shepard, a min pin (ex-wife), and last 4 being pit bitches. They have been the best 4 dogs I've ever had. Like many of you, I've been around a lot of dogs: Many of them hunting dogs. The only dogs that ever bit me were (2) different cocker spaniels and someone else's german shepard. All unprovoked. The bites weren't reported and I didn't sue. It makes me wonder how that feeds into statistics. I'm guessing a lot.

While I accept that pits are statistically the most deadly breed in the US, I also believe there's something being missed in this conversation. ANY dog's temperament is based on 50% breeding and 50% feeding. Essentially, all of the descendant Mastiffs breeds were used to kill. The pit, however, has been the most exploited. For the past 100 years, Mastiffs and their descendant breeds have been bred to remove aggression and make them marketable to families. This includes pits and staffies.

Unfortunately, SOME (not ALL) lines of pits are still bred to fight and its a shame because between them and the maniacs that raise them, the entire breed is given a bad name. These lines of the breed are used for fighting and guarding drugs or otherwise illegal activities. I do acknowledge that some snap. I do believe that owning a pit bares a greater responsibility to keep a watchful eye on each dog's behavior. I also believe (and this is highly opinionated) that, because mine have all been females, it may be based on a male's natural tendency to alpha up. Again, that is pure opinion based on my experience with my dogs. Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to euthanize one of mine that started show signs of aggression and I do test. Hand in the food bowl, food taken away, wrestling, etc, but thats the way my dad did it with his dogs when I was young, too, and none of them were pits.

I'm not trying to convince anyone to get a pit. I can't be convinced, however, that mine have been anything but the best family dogs I've ever had. People that can't comprehend the fact that thugs make this breed a bad thing should really consider how they feel about high capacity magazines. The same can be asked of them both: Are they NEEDED? No. Are their original designs based on creating incredible carnage? Yes. Are they misused by bad people? Absolutely. Are they hyped by the media? Yes. Have they been involved in unforeseen family tragedies? Yes. Do they bring some of us a heightened level of enjoyment in life. You bet.

Just 2 cents from a guy that's owned pits for years. Flame on.

You're just another moron that thinks he knows anything about dogs.

You don't.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
LOL. Internet name-calling.

A most excellent response, sir.

“When debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.”
- Socrates
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
All a Pitbull does better than any other breed is the fight to the death. To bore in and to kill to take punishment and keep killing. That is all they do better than any other breed. Now if one of you guys that thinks pits are just great animals can prove me wrong on that I might change my opinion on the breed.

Location Western NC,
after alot of other places
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

624 members (16gage, 1badf350, 1moredeer, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 60 invisible), 3,065 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,959
Posts18,519,446
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.