Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 62 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 61 62
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hanco
I’ve never heard a deer stand called a shooting house before. We hunt over feeders and oat patches cause it’s legal to do so. Some stares don’t allow hunting over bait. I see more deer in the lanes I scatter corn than the under the feeder.

That's because statistically bait is not a real advantage, when hunting bucks, as they typically eat at night. You are more likely to see does, but the margin of success is small.
Being where deer must travel between what they want and need, is more successful and reliable.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bobmar
No baiting of any kind allowed in Virginia. You have to real careful hunting around a picked corn or bean field. Whatever is left on the ground has to be the result of "normal agricultural practices. If you're hunting around that field you better know what's out there. Game Wardens get very picky about that stuff here.

Yes, our poacher in residence here, (sharp things) got nailed because he moved existing spilled corn to a spot near his custom built shooting house. He did it to give his aging father an advantage. (His father would not have approved, and did not know). Problem was, he was seen doing it, and the Warden paid him a visit. He admitted it, recieved a ticket, and paid the fine.
Personally, I see no difference between apples or acorns dropped in the yard by the wind, and placing them by hand. It's food a deer would look for, and seek out, so it's bait. I have no issues with bait, since I use it for fish, predators, birds, why not deer? Every scent we use to attract game, every noise we make to attract game is bait, and everytime we position ourselves to intercept game based on learned behaviors is bait, simply because we know why they are headed that direction. We are anticipating thier needs. That is also a form of bait.
If nature litters my yard with apples and acorns, and I rake them over to a fence line, or into a pile, many states then call that bait, even though I have done nothing more than move what nature herself provided. And do not get me started on food plots, as being any different than any other bait. Folks spend lots of time and money to feed deer and draw them into the area, that's bait in it's simplest form. And that is hypocritical. Food in the ground vs food on the ground. No difference, yet one may be legal, and the other may not be.
Without bait of some type, you might as well hunt a parking lot, because game has no reason to go there, other than some random chance. Every orchard, nut tree grove, and honeysuckle patch is bait, because it alters how game responds.
Ohio allows baiting, and I do transport acorns gathered here in-city, to gravity feeders on my property. I do it more to help them get through the winter healthy, and provide another food source. But I rarely shoot a deer at the feeders, because it's rarely at the feeders that I find them.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rockymtnhigh
Originally Posted by SandBilly
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
Lots of misconceptions here about leases and lease hunting. Some have politely tried to explain parts of the ins and outs involved.

Some understand and get it, some don’t and probably never will.

Some understand it just fine.

I don’t have a problem with leases, i understand it if that’s all you have.

I still don’t see the the satisfaction in sitting under bait, and pretending you didn’t something special.

I also know that’s not what all lease hunters do. But it sure is comical watching then get defensive.

Bait hunters generally take the bait..

Lmbo! I would like to see you hunt the area I grew up around in Texas without bait....Briar fortresses and thick oak and mesquite tree stands for miles...Try walking through it without making noise or getting tangled up in the briars...It's dang near impossible...There is a reason in some areas that people hunt in stands over bait...You'd never get close to a whitetail or turkey in some of the places I've hunted in Texas trying to walk and stalk...It is nothing like sitting up high out west and scoping the side of a mountain or drainage below...

Lol. I wonder what those other guys do in thick areas where baiting is illegal? Move out west?

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
The idea that you need bait is pretty silly. It certainly helps though and when your state is handing out seven tags over the counter, you probably have a deer problem anyway.

Not to mention Texans are retarded and need all the help they can get.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by deflave
Not to mention Texans are retarded and need all the help they can get.

…says the man drinking organic sperm in his avatar.

"He is far from Stupid"

”person, who happens to have an above-average level of intelligence

– DocRocket (In reference to ElkSlayer91)

IC B2

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Originally Posted by ElkSlayer91
Tell me...what's the difference in walking 16 sections of leased land in 13* F in the West Texas mountains during the rut in December vs. a person walking "public Land"?

I don't have to pay thousands a year to do it, and I'm not confined to where I have to hunt...

When you go on a safari, Mr. “luvs2safari”, you pay many thousands you hypocrite. And I’m not “confined” on 16 sections of land you clueless dolt.

and I'm far from a broke dick and unsuccessful.

Sure looks like you’re crying about no money here:
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I believe we are better off without the big bucks.

LOL...I'm finding out in a hurry and will report back to you. wink

Your arrogance is glaring and imbecilic. Is that a Texas thing? I don't think so. Some of my best friends here are Texans and have Class.

It’s not arrogance when you are simply posting truth that gets girliemen’s panties in a knot.

Last edited by ElkSlayer91; 03/09/19.

"He is far from Stupid"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rockymtnhigh

Lmbo! I would like to see you hunt the area I grew up around in Texas without bait....Briar fortresses and thick oak and mesquite tree stands for miles...Try walking through it without making noise or getting tangled up in the briars...It's dang near impossible...There is a reason in some areas that people hunt in stands over bait...You'd never get close to a whitetail or turkey in some of the places I've hunted in Texas trying to walk and stalk...It is nothing like sitting up high out west and scoping the side of a mountain or drainage below...

Guess you've never hunted elk or blacktails in the north coast range of Oregon and Washington. Temperate rain forest with steep muddy hillsides covered with vine maple, black berries, devils club and slash. While you're hung up in a bunch of brush thankful that it's the only thing keeping you from sliding off, that's either when you see something or realize that you can't see a thing.

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

I see health class in Texas is the same as everything else in Texas.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I'd really like to see a list of what type of hunting is completely acceptable here.

Anyone?

Jesus.

Some of you condescending pricks meed to pull your heads out of your asses pretty quick.

While I don't shoot deer out of a blind over corn, and haven't since I was a kid, I DO shoot lots of hogs that way.

I'm Goddam sure not going to condemn other hunters for how they hunt, what they hunt with, what they spend to hunt, or where they hunt.

Y'all sound like a buncha fuggin' snowflakes that want nothing more than to make their personal views the "law of the land" beciase they know SO much more than everyone else.

Better smarten the fug up, people.... Other hunters are not the enemy. Oh. Wait...

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
I'd really like to see a list of what type of hunting is completely acceptable here.

Anyone?

Jesus.

Some of you condescending pricks meed to pull your heads out of your asses pretty quick.

While I don't shoot deer out of a blind over corn, and haven't since I was a kid, I DO shoot lots of hogs that way.

I'm Goddam sure not going to condemn other hunters for how they hunt, what they hunt with, what they spend to hunt, or where they hunt.

Y'all sound like a buncha fuggin' snowflakes that want nothing more than to make their personal views the "law of the land" beciase they know SO much more than everyone else.

Better smarten the fug up, people.... Other hunters are not the enemy. Oh. Wait...

Go cook you up some Cowboy Coffee on your stove top....old man... smile .

"He is far from Stupid"

IC B3

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by deflave

I see health class in Texas is the same as everything else in Texas.

Rather than drinking out of a carton....you could cut out the middleman...and just get down on your knees at the local phag bar.

"He is far from Stupid"

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
$1K/acre is cheap unless you are in Hudspeth County Texas.

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Tell me...what's the difference in me walking thousands of acres in Colorado at 8500+ elev. elk hunting (guiding or self-guided) on a "lease" vs. walking "public land" in Colorado elk hunting?

Seriously, you need this explained to you?

I love hunting private land, especially when friends invite me to. And the reason is as obvious as the biggest difference in hunting private vs. public pand----on private land I don't have to compete with every Tom, DIck, and Harry who wants to hunt the same land.

Hunting without that competition is a huge adavantage, especially for a species like elk that draws hunters from all over the country. Why else would people pay thousands of dollars to do it? The animals aren't pressured, you don't have to walk as far to get away from other hunters, and you can normally drive near your kill to pack it out. Which makes a huge difference with animals like elk.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Borchardt

Paid $200 an acre for 3 1/2 sections adjoining our ranch there. Thought that was outrageous. Should have been about $50 an acre, and wasn't too long ago that it was...

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Paid $200 an acre for 3 1/2 sections adjoining our ranch there. Thought that was outrageous. Should have been about $50 an acre, and wasn't too long ago that it was...
How much rain do y'all get a year.? How many acres to support a cow?

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.
Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Hebrew Roots Judaizer
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Hastings

We used to joke that it took a section of land there to run one animal unit... The sad part is, it's not far off from reality.

Just under 10 inches a year for annual rainfall...

But that's not the bad part. The bad part is you can't just run out a poke a hole in the ground, and get a water well. frown

The water wells are deep and expensive, and where you can actually strike water is even harder to find.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I tried to lease a place to deer hunt only, in Ms. a few years ago. Fellow wanted $50/acre when the surrounding land was going for $5-$7/ acre. I dont think he really wanted to lease the place and this was how he kept people out. Anyway, I told him I wanted to lease the place, not buy it. Kinda pizzed him off.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Controlling hogs is one thing. Pretending to hunt, shooting deer and the like unde bait is another. Idgaf what anyone says, it sure the [bleep] ain’t hunting..

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by Hastings

We used to joke that it took a section of land there to run one animal unit... The sad part is, it's not far off from reality.

Just under 10 inches a year for annual rainfall...

But that's not the bad part. The bad part is you can't just run out a poke a hole in the ground, and get a water well. frown

The water wells are deep and expensive, and where you can actually strike water is even harder to find.

What is it 20 acres....that's the last I heard.

"He is far from Stupid"

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
rockinbbar, 10” annual precipitation......I wish were the case here. Last year, we had our wettest year of the 21 years we’ve lived here....we went just over 10” last year. Hell, a few more centuries of that, and we’ll have Palmetto replacing the Greasewood! grin memtb

Last edited by memtb; 03/09/19.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Page 10 of 62 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 61 62

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

285 members (257 mag, 1badf350, 160user, 260Remguy, 06hunter59, 257 roberts, 27 invisible), 2,038 guests, and 1,093 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,327
Posts18,526,535
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.