Hop To
Page 16 of 62 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 61 62
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by SandBilly
Originally Posted by smokepole
The thing is, no matter how or where you hunt, your method is always easier than what someone else does. I did a 12 day walk-in hunt for Dall Sheep, with backpacks. It wasn't easy. And then I read about guys who do the same kind of hunt but with archery gear.

If you bagged that Dall, with a rifle, whatever. Hiked your ass off, glassed and hunted your ass off. Compared to sitting under a feeder and shooting it.

Which one would you feel like you’ve EARNED?

Good question. I'll start by saying the older I get and the more I think about it, the more I realize that what's important to me personally doesn't mean a whole lot to most others, nor should it.

As far as earning it or feeling a sense of accomplishment, yes the sheep hunt was physically tough and the most demanding hunt I've been on as far as pure physical effort. So for this lower 48 hunter it was the ultimate backpack hunt. But as a non-resident I was required to use a guide and truth be told, if you have a good guide who's done his homework, you're physically fit and able to keep up, and you can shoot straight when the time comes success rates are pretty high and mostly depend on your guide and the area you're hunting, not your individual skill. Hell, I would've been clueless up there looking for sheep on my own. There are guys who post here regularly who do the same kind of hunt DIY every year, and guys who guide those hunts. What was one of the most difficult hunts for me is just another hunt in sheep country for them but none of them chose to denigrate my hunt.

I like to hunt different animals using different methods. The fact that one kind of hunt is more challenging or takes more skill doesn't diminish the others. My most rewarding hunt wasn't the sheep hunt, it was one of the DIY hunts down here when I was fortunate enough to take a bull with a muzzleloader or bow and pack it out on my back, on my own. Either that or tagging along with my youngest son when he killed his first elk on an RFW hunt. That hunt was guided on private land with virtually 100% of the hunters getting an opportunity for a shot on day one. But it still ranks up there as one of my favorite hunts.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by milespatton
Well, since hunting is seasonal here, I have to disagree. Also I do like some vegetables along with my meat. miles
If you are growing vegetables you are farming. Which is absolutely fine but you don't need to grow vegetables to hunt nor do you need the tools of a farmer to hunt.

If one of my neighbors with an apple orchard offered to let me hunt deer on his land, I'd take him up on it. I think most would. But if I was lucky enough to bag a big buck that was eating his apples, I'd try not to brag about how great a hunter I was for doing it, that's the rub.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd try not to brag about how great a hunter I was for doing it, that's the rub.

I would not do that no matter how I killed the deer. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Depends on what you mean by "brag." If I scouted a big buck pre-season and then hunted him for a month all over creation and back before I got a chance to put a stalk on him, get within 10 yards, and kill him in his bed, my hunting friends would sure enough hear the tale.

For an apple-fed buck out of the neighbor's orchard not so much.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Ok, just admit it’s a lot easier than doing your homework and setting a tree stand on a deer trail, or spot and stalk, or just HUNTING for game.

Instead of baiting the game to come to you....

Do you agree? Yes or no will work.

If you film(and locate) deer that are on a binge diet and won’t be eating anything while you’re hunting them, that would be challenging right there. I mean , that’s a true hunter: the hunter that is hunting a deer that won’t be eating. This way none of the deers movements has anything to do with food.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sandbilly, got a few questions for you.... just want your opinion. You've stated that sitting over corn is not hunting, and that's ok with me. What exactly is your definition of 'hunting?

If you're watching a field that has been harvested such as corn or peanuts, is that deer hunting? What about sitting in the woods and watching White Oak or Over Cup acorn trees, is that deer hunting? What if you're sitting and watching a trail in the woods where deer walk, is that hunting? What about running deer with dogs and waiting (being a stander) at a place where you hope the deer will come by you, is that hunting? What if you are running deer with dogs and instead of using standers, you ride horses in the woods in an attempt to get a deer, is that hunting? What about men making a drive and using standers, is that deer hunting? What about climbing a tree to wait for deer, is that hunting? What if you use a mechanical device to climb the tree and make it more comfortable to sit there, is that deer hunting? Is using a modern rifle with a scope and practicing where you can make kills at 200+ yds, instead of using a weapon, such as a bow and arrow, where you have to get within 20-30 yds, is that deer hunting? Is taking advantage of modern equipment and practices deer hunting? Is using scents and calls of any kind, deer hunting?

I'd just like your opinion, if you dont mind.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Randy, hunting is the way He does it. Nothing else will compare. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just want to hunt.

California doesn't allow bait and I've only hunted out of a blind once, it's almost always spot and stalk, but I'd use a blind if it was the most effective for the situation at hand.

I hunt public and private most every year.
I have friends with good property within 5 minutes of the house.
I can easily kill my 2 bucks there every year if I want, but often pass, choosing to let them mature.
My hunts on public are a much bigger adventure, with huge mountains and much better feed and genetics offering a real shot at a record class buck...but it's usually a grueling affair.

I'm not such a snob that I'd turn down an opportunity to hunt a lease or over bait where legal...to each his own.
When in Rome, I'd do as the Romans or Texas or Africa or Alaska.

I just want to hunt.

Proud NRA Life Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, I guess you're right. He hasn't seen the post or wont answer. Oh well, as the kids use to say, it is what it is!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
8k views on this thread. The same 25 guys posting. I guarantee you I know what most folks think, including what you two know deep down.

Most just don’t have the stones to admit it.

No, you don't. You're just embarrassing yourself. I'm sitting here trying to give you the benefit of the doubt, and failing miserably. You're an obnoxious azz, who choses to denigrate anyone who disagrees with you. My bucket list includes nearly every type of hunting. You, on the other hand, are small minded, and seriously biased. Truly disgusting.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
8k views on this thread. The same 25 guys posting. I guarantee you I know what most folks think, including what you two know deep down.

SandBilly, according to your theory, all Turkey, Goose and Duck hunters don’t “earn” their game when they call them to them, because that is the same as a deer coming to corn. You’re “baiting” them with a call.

According to you, we would only be safe Dove, Quail, Pheasant, etc hunting.

Using your theory in fishing, everyone can no longer use rod and reel. You must stalk with a spear. No “bait” allowed, live, dead or lures. That’s baiting.

Using your theory….you should stop purchasing any food at the grocery store, being you didn’t grow it or stalk it.

"He is far from Stupid"

”person, who happens to have an above-average level of intelligence

– DocRocket (In reference to ElkSlayer91)

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
too many people theses days think you have to do it there way and only there way or you are a stupid a$$ hole

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Smokepole, Remember you’re arguing with a “guy” that thinks milk is cow sperm so bear that in mind as you attempt to argue facts with him.

Yeah, not only that, but a person who claims to be smarter than everyone else here combined, yet doesn't know that you can access the internet from a smart phone. Kind of makes you wonder what's up with this person.

LOL….look at these two love birds ganging up on me now, when just a few months ago AcesNeights was handing polesmoker his azz to him.

Go to the link, and halfway down the page, you’ll see the below post, and read farther as Aces puts ole polesmoker in his place…..good laughs.

Good laughs here too, now that they seem to be the “Brokenback Mountain” couple here now teaming up.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...hunter-mauled-guide-missing#Post13139485

IThat client sounds like a coward of the first order. Having been tested more than a few times I know that.....

You don't know squat. Unless you've been dragged off a horse by your ankle.

Is that how you were "tested more than a few times?"

I’ll trust what I know over your guessing.

You can use partial quotes and take statements out of context all you want (typical liberal reaction) but it makes you look stupid. You have become more and more argumentative for no good reason, not just this thread but many of the ones you insert yourself in. I don’t know if loneliness and old age is your excuse but either way you just come across as a washed up old crank that gets off on picking internet arguments because you lack excitement in your elderly life. Keep on keeping on champ....you’re always good for a laugh at your own expense.

And I’ll also point out here, as Aces did in his post above about polesmoker inserting himself into a conversation that does not involve him, so he can start arguing.

That is exactly what polesmoker did again here in this thread when he addressed my question to someone else in his response to me at the first post of page 9.

That is the definition of a troll people, and his actions right here in this very thread proves it.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...re-lost-my-east-texas-lease#Post13639344

Last edited by ElkSlayer91; 03/10/19.

"He is far from Stupid"

”person, who happens to have an above-average level of intelligence

– DocRocket (In reference to ElkSlayer91)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bunch of lazy know nothing hacks. You should be proud.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
So "elkslayer," it's safe to say you still have zero response to the points I made in my first post and you can't back up any of the bullsh** you laid out in your personal attacks on me.

I will admit it was wrong of me to call you a pathetic little twat. That was unfair to pathetic little twats everywhere.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The thing is, no matter how or where you hunt, your method is always easier than what someone else does. I did a 12 day walk-in hunt for Dall Sheep, with backpacks. It wasn't easy. And then I read about guys who do the same kind of hunt but with archery gear.

If you bagged that Dall, with a rifle, whatever. Hiked your ass off, glassed and hunted your ass off. Compared to sitting under a feeder and shooting it.

Which one would you feel like you’ve EARNED?

Good question. I'll start by saying the older I get and the more I think about it, the more I realize that what's important to me personally doesn't mean a whole lot to most others, nor should it.

As far as earning it or feeling a sense of accomplishment, yes the sheep hunt was physically tough and the most demanding hunt I've been on as far as pure physical effort. So for this lower 48 hunter it was the ultimate backpack hunt. But as a non-resident I was required to use a guide and truth be told, if you have a good guide who's done his homework, you're physically fit and able to keep up, and you can shoot straight when the time comes success rates are pretty high and mostly depend on your guide and the area you're hunting, not your individual skill. Hell, I would've been clueless up there looking for sheep on my own. There are guys who post here regularly who do the same kind of hunt DIY every year, and guys who guide those hunts. What was one of the most difficult hunts for me is just another hunt in sheep country for them but none of them chose to denigrate my hunt.

I like to hunt different animals using different methods. The fact that one kind of hunt is more challenging or takes more skill doesn't diminish the others. My most rewarding hunt wasn't the sheep hunt, it was one of the DIY hunts down here when I was fortunate enough to take a bull with a muzzleloader or bow and pack it out on my back, on my own. Either that or tagging along with my youngest son when he killed his first elk on an RFW hunt. That hunt was guided on private land with virtually 100% of the hunters getting an opportunity for a shot on day one. But it still ranks up there as one of my favorite hunts.

Probably the best response on this train wreck thread! Well said.

Do or do not, there is no try.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by ElkSlayer91

SandBilly, according to your theory, all Turkey, Goose and Duck hunters don’t “earn” their game when they call them to them, because that is the same as a deer coming to corn. You’re “baiting” them with a call.

According to you, we would only be safe Dove, Quail, Pheasant, etc hunting.

Using your theory in fishing, everyone can no longer use rod and reel. You must stalk with a spear. No “bait” allowed, live, dead or lures. That’s baiting.

Using your theory….you should stop purchasing any food at the grocery store, being you didn’t grow it or stalk it.

ElkSlayer91, I was getting ready to say something similar. So....let’s carry it a little farther. Is it unsportsmanlik to drive to the desired hunt. Should we all walk, (horses are also not allowed) to make hunting completely “ethical”! Just how far do we want to pursue “sandycrotch’s” narrow-minded definition of hunting. Until he can prove to me that he walks to all of his hunting locations.....I’ll call him hypocrite! Of course, this brings up the question....is it ethical to wear shoes when walking? Where does it all stop? memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Elkslayer, In the spirit of brevity I wanted to let you know that I’ve been worked up and pissed off on here in the past so I understand as well as anyone how this internet thing can elicit unintended emotions. I don’t care how another man “hunts” and if it makes him happy and fulfills the hunting urges that are unique to some of us then who cares?.....I know I sure don’t. I also know that age and physical limitations can prevent a backpacking, spot and stalk hunt and therefore requires a different approach or the decision to quit doing something you love, I know what I’d choose. If lease hunting over feeders is legal and a viable option then go have fun and scratch the itch. 👍

I was driving back from the east side of the mountains yesterday on a bright but cold bluebird day. The snow in the mountains reflecting that bright sun back and the thin winter trickle of mighty rivers snaking through the ice is powerful medicine for cabin fever. Listening to the cross country and snowshoeing trail reports brought a smile to my face (some trail names are funny) and I thought about this thread. I had to wait at the little intersection in Leavenworth, a Bavarian village in our “Western Alps”, for a group of 6 mule deer to cross the street and thanked God for the privilege of growing up in such a beautiful place with endless opportunity for outdoor fun. 45 minutes prior I watched a smaller group of Bighorn sheep feed on a steep wind blown hillside that was mostly snow free. Watching sheep and goats is a special and unique privilege that I have enjoyed for as long as I can remember, there’s something so wild and daring about them that captures my imagination and reaffirms to me that I’m pretty close to where I belong. I was thinking about this thread and literally was LOL’ing over the milk confusion. I needed a real laugh and this thread delivered, I hope you understand that I’m not laughing AT anyone, I’m laughing at the comments and the retorts they receive.

I wish you all the best success in your hunting adventures! I’m much more apt to be friends with a high stand, high fence, bait loving private land leasing hunter than I am a non hunter....you just can’t trust’em. 😁

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bunch of lazy know nothing hacks. You should be proud.

Talk about being lazy.... Why don't you answer my questions?

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
PS....I don’t claim responsibility for anything I’ve previously posted on any other thread. 😁. Each thread is independently unique.....like a snowflake. 😉. I’ve been on here long enough that I’ve pissed off everyone at some point so pulling up a previous thread isn’t a good indication of my actual feelings towards any particular poster here. I’ve exchanged responses with smokepole that weren’t always the nicest because it’s the innanet but I’ll admit that I’ve found myself in agreement with him more times than I’ve disagreed with him. There’s very few people here that I detest and I don’t think a one of them has posted on this thread.....but I do understand the emotions that sometimes surface and would advise anyone here to not take them too seriously. 👍

I’m gonna have a big glass of fresh cows milk from our local dairy and finish reading the 1983 Johnson study on Sheep and Goats in Washington. Thanks to EVERYONE that made this thread so funny, whether intentional or unintentional I LMFAO. 👍

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 16 of 62 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 61 62

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 1234, 10gaugeman, 56 invisible), 2,632 guests, and 1,293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,402
Posts18,527,940
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.