Campfire Ranger
A
Walmart has corn on sale, boys.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Thanks for the reply. I guess I've been fortunate to have been able to utilize all those methods to take deer over the years. They've all been enjoyable and rewarding. Having said that, if I lived in an area where those methods were not available or practical, no doubt you'd find me shooting deer whatever way I could. I like venison, being outdoors and shooting deer too much to stay home just because I couldn't hunt the way I'd prefer.

Understood.

I'd dearly love to do the two-week pack trip in Alberta or hunt Browns in the Alaskan interior, or whatever, but I'm a man of limited means and I take what I can get and when I can get it. That said, I can be satisfied just roaming the wide-open deserts of west Texas with a rimfire rifle looking for jackrabbits, sneaking through the North Texas mesquite thickets with a lever gun, or sitting in a box blind with a bolt-action trying to stay awake. I enjoy those times, and if that's as good as it gets for me, then I'm okay with it.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This kind of talk simply divides us all as hunters. We get enough grief and backlash from the anti's. No need to divide ourselves and aid in their efforts.

Nobody says you must hunt inside a fence, from a stand or blind, use a feeder, scents, camo, grunt calls, rattle antlers, use a scoped rifle, muzzle loader, bow, spear or rock. Choose whatever legal method floats your boat.

Stalk naked through the mesquite and prickly pear and use your bare hands, or an oatmeal raisin cookie in one hand and a ball-peen hammer in the other, if that's how you want to hunt. I won't belittle anyone for their chosen legal methods. We should all give each other the same courtesy.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by FOsteology

Stalk naked through the mesquite and prickly pear and use your bare hands, or an oatmeal raisin cookie in one hand and a ball-peen hammer in the other, if that's how you want to hunt.

Does this work, and would you recommend this method? The lease I lost last fall had prickly pear and mesquite in great abundance...I'm afraid I may have not taken full advantage of my opportunities while I had it.

grin

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by RiverRider

Stalk naked through the mesquite and prickly pear and use your bare hands, or an oatmeal raisin cookie in one hand and a ball-peen hammer in the other, if that's how you want to hunt.

Does this work, and would you recommend this method? The lease I lost last fall had prickly pear and mesquite in great abundance...I'm afraid I may have not taken full advantage of my opportunities while I had it.

grin
They sure like saltine crackers. I've had them take those and ritz crackers right out of my hand and chow them down with gusto. The thought did cross my mind that I could easily kill one with a hammer while feeding them crackers.

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A

grin
They sure like saltine crackers. I've had them take those and ritz crackers right out of my hand and chow them down with gusto. The thought did cross my mind that I could easily kill one with a hammer while feeding them crackers.

That’s not hunting....

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors

grin

That’s not hunting....

Grocery shopping...

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

grin

I’d bet that if you did “hunt” one down like that you could get SCI to score it and record it in the “book”. 😉😂

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rockymtnhigh

Lmbo! I would like to see you hunt the area I grew up around in Texas without bait....Briar fortresses and thick oak and mesquite tree stands for miles...Try walking through it without making noise or getting tangled up in the briars...It's dang near impossible...There is a reason in some areas that people hunt in stands over bait...You'd never get close to a whitetail or turkey in some of the places I've hunted in Texas trying to walk and stalk...It is nothing like sitting up high out west and scoping the side of a mountain or drainage below...

'splain me how that would be more difficult than hunting a norther cedar swamp without bait.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by SandBilly
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
I killed this javelina using an electronic call. Before I did so,I called the G&F Dept in Las Cruces to ask if it was legal to do so and they said "yes,it was legal." Tell you what,that was exciting hearing the javelina grunting coming in to the call.
[Linked Image]

Did you read this thread?

Not all of it.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors

grin

That’s not hunting....

It may or it may not be, depending on your own personal concept. The bottom line, though, is that it is universally accepted that hunting success is qualified by possession of an animal's body, which you have intentionally and with design,killed. Why would a hammer not be an acceptable hunting weapon if you happened to be skilled enough to make it work? That's even more impressive, skill-wise, than the guys who use dogs to catch a hog with dogs and stick it in the ribs with a knife.

Yeah...sticking a 400-pound hog in the ribs with a knife...now THAT is hunting. All else is just killing, and anyone who hasn't killed a hog this way is no hunter at all. Bunch of pikers, that's all. Same goes for bear hunting.

Don't be the darkness.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Youper

Lmbo! I would like to see you hunt the area I grew up around in Texas without bait....Briar fortresses and thick oak and mesquite tree stands for miles...Try walking through it without making noise or getting tangled up in the briars...It's dang near impossible...There is a reason in some areas that people hunt in stands over bait...You'd never get close to a whitetail or turkey in some of the places I've hunted in Texas trying to walk and stalk...It is nothing like sitting up high out west and scoping the side of a mountain or drainage below...

'splain me how that would be more difficult than hunting a norther cedar swamp without bait.

There's places in the lowland woods in the south where you just ain't gonna walk through, period. It's not at all like some of the wooded areas up north and other parts of the country, or western mountainous regions where you can walk where you will provided you can deal with topography.

Don't be the darkness.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Youper

There's places in the lowland woods in the south where you just ain't gonna walk through, period. It's not at all like some of the wooded areas up north and other parts of the country, or western mountainous regions where you can walk where you will provided you can deal with topography.
We do have some big clearcuts up here that grow up into a nearly impenetrable maze of blackberry brambles and multifora rose after a few years that are very hard to get through. We usually hunt them by donning briar proof pants/jacket and putting on an organized drive. It is also possible to still hunt through them but it is very laborious and does require the carrying and occasional use of an anvil type pruner to cut yourself loose from the brambles. I've been so tangled up in multiflora thorns that I literally couldn't move and had to cut myself free.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by smokepole

If one of my neighbors with an apple orchard offered to let me hunt deer on his land, I'd take him up on it. I think most would. But if I was lucky enough to bag a big buck that was eating his apples, I'd try not to brag about how great a hunter I was for doing it, that's the rub.

Now I think you're getting just a little too fussy.

Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's one reason I decided synthetic stocks were probably useful. When you can use your rifle to beat your way through brush it helps, but there are still places you just can't go. There's woods like that only 100 yards behind my house...I can walk down to the creek if I want to, but I have to take certain paths. The other routes through the trees are clogged with what I call "mutherfugger vine." I don't know or care what it really is, I just know I ain't walkin through it.

Some of the woods in Tennessee and other parts of the south are clogged with kudzu. I'd not want to confront the MFer who can walk through that shiit.

Don't be the darkness.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Oldman3
Sandbilly, got a few questions for you.... just want your opinion. You've stated that sitting over corn is not hunting, and that's ok with me. What exactly is your definition of 'hunting?

If you're watching a field that has been harvested such as corn or peanuts, is that deer hunting? What about sitting in the woods and watching White Oak or Over Cup acorn trees, is that deer hunting? What if you're sitting and watching a trail in the woods where deer walk, is that hunting? What about running deer with dogs and waiting (being a stander) at a place where you hope the deer will come by you, is that hunting? What if you are running deer with dogs and instead of using standers, you ride horses in the woods in an attempt to get a deer, is that hunting? What about men making a drive and using standers, is that deer hunting? What about climbing a tree to wait for deer, is that hunting? What if you use a mechanical device to climb the tree and make it more comfortable to sit there, is that deer hunting? Is using a modern rifle with a scope and practicing where you can make kills at 200+ yds, instead of using a weapon, such as a bow and arrow, where you have to get within 20-30 yds, is that deer hunting? Is taking advantage of modern equipment and practices deer hunting? Is using scents and calls of any kind, deer hunting?

I'd just like your opinion, if you dont mind.

The silence is deafening.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Attempting to walk through the thick sheit that is nothing but thorns and briars is a minor issue compared to kicking up the damn rattlers. More concerning in South Texas is running into the illegals (coyotes, drug runners, etc.) out in the brush country.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
I thought this thread was about losing a good deer lease??

Doh!

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
We're blessed in Michigan to have an abundance of public land to hunt. I rarely hunt private land and i don't bait. I'd rather others didn't bait in the area I hunt because it makes the big boys go nocturnal. You can watch it happen on game cameras. But if it's legal, then so be it. I'll hunt the way I want and others can do whatever it is they do.

Interestingly, baiting is banned starting in 2019 in the Lower. The U.P. can still bait, even though they had a positive case of CWD there. That was supposed to be the trigger to stop baiting immediately. 90% of the U.P. hunters bait. It's big business - the two week deer season is a make or break deal financially for many businesses up there. The DNR backed off it's own decree knowing the impact it would have on the U.P. economy. So all those semis loaded with sugar beets from the LP can keep rolling in the fall.

To the OP, I'm sorry, that sucks to lose your place to hunt - whether you pay for it or not. I imagine if I lived in Texas I'd have to have a lease. There's no way I'd not hunt. I really don't have an opinion on leasing as I've never done it. Now, if someone wanted to invite me down to hunt their lease so's I could render an expert opinion... wink

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by ElkSlayer91
SandBilly, according to your theory, all Turkey, Goose and Duck hunters don’t “earn” their game when they call them to them, because that is the same as a deer coming to corn. You’re “baiting” them with a call.

WTF does this even mean? You make no sense at all.

Calling is calling. Period. Duck call, goose call, grunt call, doe bleat.

Baiting is baiting. Corn is food to deer. Corn is food to ducks. Baiting migratory waterfowl (ducks) is a USF&WS Federal offense because it's so effective and is not fair chase.

If you're going to make an argument with these kinds of analogies, know what the phuq you're talking about.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
Page 20 of 62 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 61 62

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

623 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 66 invisible), 2,739 guests, and 1,382 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,410
Posts18,528,153
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.