Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Jevyod Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Not sure where to put the question but what books would you recommend? I just recently discovered he wrote a number of books. What would you recommend as the top 3? Obviously my interests will dictate somewhat what I should read. I like plain old hunting stories, so was thinking of getting one of those. I really like stories that give a bit of detail to caliber used, how it performed, etc.
I am not interested in wing-shooting, but love ballistics studies, terminal performance, and am a bullet construction nut. Love reading about bullet performance, reading about premium bullets vs standard cup and core, etc. Yes, I do overthink this stuff, but it is a hobby for me. Also, I believe he has done a lot of work on load development for many calibers, is there a place where that is compiled in one place? I have bought several back issues of handloader magazines, but that gets expensive pretty fast.( I do get them now). Or how what is the best method of getting his articles on particular calibers?
Or maybe john,you can point me in the right direction here. I would be interested in any articles you did on the 243, 260 rem, 308 win, 358 win, (ok i am seeing a pattern here) 225 winchester, 35 remington, 338 federal, 35 whelen, and any AI chamberings. If need to buy several more back issues of handloader, or any other magazine, I can do that. I wish there was a particular website or book that I could purchase with all the load date you have gathered! Maybe a retirement project! whistle

Last edited by Jevyod; 03/13/19.

......the occasional hunter wielding a hopelessly inaccurate rifle, living by the fantastical rule that this cartridge can deliver the goods, regardless of shot placement or rifle accuracy. The correct term for this is minute of ego.
GB1

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Jevyod
Also, I believe he has done a lot of work on load development for many calibers, is there a place where that is compiled in one place? ... I would be interested in any articles you did on the 243, 260 rem, 308 win, 358 win, (ok i am seeing a pattern here) 225 winchester, 35 remington, 338 federal, 35 whelen, and any AI chamberings. If need to buy several more back issues of handloader, or any other magazine, I can do that. I wish there was a particular website or book that I could purchase with all the load date you have gathered! Maybe a retirement project! whistle

Big Book of Gun Gack I and II would cover a good chunk of those. Excellent tomes, those.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
^^^^^
What he said.
I have read only four of John's books, but I plan to read more! He writes well, has a ton of knowledge, is still learning new things and writing about them. His opinions are fact based and well thought out. I particularly enjoy learning the history of the various cartridges, even if a cartridge I don't care to own. One minor complaint . . . more pictures! I always want more pictures!

ETA: I also subscribe to Rifle and Handloader, where John writes a good bit.

Last edited by GunDoc7; 03/13/19.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
J
Jevyod Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Does Gun Gack or Gack II have anything on the 225 winchester and the 358 Winchester?

......the occasional hunter wielding a hopelessly inaccurate rifle, living by the fantastical rule that this cartridge can deliver the goods, regardless of shot placement or rifle accuracy. The correct term for this is minute of ego.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Gun Gack includes the .358. No .225 data.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I should have also noted that the table of contents for each book is listed on the website. Click on whatever book you're interested in, then scroll down a little and there's a toolbar with description/table of contents/reviews.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have the Big Book of Gunk Gack & love it. Just checked the table of contents of Gun Gack 11 and note that you haven't written
up anything on the 45-70. Whats up with this ?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
The subtitle of the first Gun Gack is "The Hunter's Guide to Handloading Smokeless Rifle Cartridges," and I explain the in the introduction why I didn't include the .45-70: There are so many rifle variations, including old black-powder "trapdoors" and modern single-shots, that publishing data suitable for all becomes pretty complicated. Especially because of the present trend toward poor reading comprehension, and suing people who publish loading data when a smokeless load damages a blackpowder gun--or the shooter.

But I did include some black powder (and suitable smokeless) data for the .38-55 in Gun Gack II, and may include more in GG III, including the .45-70--and the .50-70, since I just bought an original Allin conversion trapdoor made in 1866. Still haven't made up my mind.

John Steinbeck
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
MD,when are you going to update the B-29 load data?

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
As soon as it's standardized by SAAMI!

John Steinbeck
IC B3

J
Jevyod Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Thanks for the recommendations! Looked at the table of contents, and looks like both gun gack books will be right down my ally! Thanks.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
But I did include some black powder (and suitable smokeless) data for the .38-55 in Gun Gack II, and may include more in GG III, including the .45-70--and the .50-70, since I just bought an original Allin conversion trapdoor made in 1866. Still haven't made up my mind.

Ok thanks, all the more reason I need to order a GG11.

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
As soon as it's standardized by SAAMI!

Gotcha. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
So there is going to be a GG III? If so, I look forward to it. Mule Deer, are you just starting, in the middle, or almost done? Meaning do you have an estimated publication date?

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Have started it, probably about 1/3 of the way into the first draft. Will probably be 2 years before it's published: GUN GACK appeared in 2015, GGII in 2018--but between them we published THE BIG BOOK OF BIG GAME HUNTING.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Have started it, probably about 1/3 of the way into the first draft. Will probably be 2 years before it's published: GUN GACK appeared in 2015, GGII in 2018--but between them we published THE BIG BOOK OF BIG GAME HUNTING.

Anything in it for me, or should I just keep on calling you?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Kirk,

About a quarter of the book will be a section titled, "Handloading Questions Shrapnel Asked Me On The Phone." At your age, you might want to get a copy in case you forget the answers!

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I thought Shrapnel knew everything already. grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Will there be a "Rifle Loony News: The Second Five Years" ?

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
MD, Might I request some 6.8 SPC II info in GG III? As I recall you've done some hog killing with the round on Bill Wilson's place. Years ago I bought my then seven year old a Ruger Hawkeye in 6.8. After speaking with Mr. Wilson about his AR barrels he agreed to ream out the Ruger chamber to SPC II. It's been a great little rifle but data specific to that chamber has been hard to find.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (160user, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 16penny, 1936M71, 56 invisible), 2,098 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,024
Posts18,481,722
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.