Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 38 of 62 1 2 36 37 38 39 40 61 62
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Happy and hating that we don't have hogs here...yet.

FJB & FJT
GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Kellory,

I bet you’d see more deer at the feeders if you put food in all of them rather than only two of the feeders. This is why you’re seeing more deer away from the feeders because all but two of your feeders are empty. Deer gotta eat too. Or did you make a typo ? Why have an empty feeder?

Edit: Ohio isn’t far if you need someone to show you.

Last edited by alwaysoutdoors; 03/14/19.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by hanco
Trapping hogs is too much fun. How come you weren’t out in the brush stalking that buck like a real hunter???😎😎😎😎

Hanco, if you're adressing me, I know that you know why" I don't go stalking in the brush like a real hunter"

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

other than walking the senderos that have been cut in that scrum, or walking a game/cow trail it is virtually impenetrable.

plus it's not uncommon over a weekend, year round, to have at least a half dozen encounters with Mr. No-Shoulders

[Linked Image]

or one of his bigger brothers or sisters

[Linked Image]

I don't go out into that scrum unless I absolutely have to.

One of the reasons I use rifles of calibers 6.5mm and generally larger. I want the critter I shoot to be DRT, and if not, to have a blood trail a blind man can wade in.

ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 03/14/19.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
Them Yankee boys would wade right out in that brush, they ain’t scared of rattlers, hogs, thorns 2” long that make an infected spot if they stick you, wetbacks hiding in the brush, or big cats. They would lasso deer. They wouldn’t waste ammo like we do!!!

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Them Yankee boys would wade right out in that brush, they ain’t scared of rattlers, hogs, thorns 2” long that make an infected spot if they stick you, wetbacks hiding in the brush, or big cats. They would lasso deer. They wouldn’t waste ammo like we do!!!

Being that I'm a golf-cart and gate, petting zoo type of Tejas-guy, I tend to use critter-activated lassos.

[Linked Image]

I find it to be a much more efficient use of my time and energy! Leaves much more time for elbow bending!

ya!

GWB

IC B2

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
In the woods of east Texas deer, particularly bucks past 2 years old, usually circle around downwind in the thickets at 80-200 yards and they dont come in to the feeder if a human is around.

I thought i would be smart and climbed up on a ranchers hopper filled with range cubes for his cattle with my bow. At times some would spill when used and the deer would come clean up the spillage.

Wind was from the south and about 5pm a doe and her fawns came into the pasture 250 yards to the north, walked 50 yds out into the trap pasture until getting straight down wind, snortec and hauled ass from whence they came, taking any bucks with her that waited back in the brush across the fence that was 50 yards to the east of me.

In most places that are hunted significantly you cant put up a portable blind, put out feed and get a deer to come in for a shot with a bow as the deer circle downwind first.

On big ranches or in Mexico with very restricted hunting one may put up a blind and feed by it for many months and the deer arent so smart and will walk straight in.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by jaguartx
In the woods of east Texas deer, particularly bucks past 2 years old, usually circle around downwind in the thickets at 80-200 yards and they dont come in to the feeder if a human is around.

I thought i would be smart and climbed up on a ranchers hopper filled with range cubes for his cattle with my bow. At times some would spill when used and the deer would come clean up the spillage.

Wind was from the south and about 5pm a doe and her fawns came into the pasture 250 yards to the north, walked 50 yds out into the trap pasture until getting straight down wind, snortec and hauled ass from whence they came, taking any bucks with her that waited back in the brush across the fence that was 50 yards to the east of me.

In most places that are hunted significantly you cant put up a portable blind, put out feed and get a deer to come in for a shot with a bow as the deer circle downwind first.

On big ranches or in Mexico with very restricted hunting one may put up a blind and feed by it for many months and the deer arent so smart and will walk straight in.

A couple of thoughts in this regard.

When I get busted, its usually an older doe. As you said she will snort, blow and stamp her front legs, and then that's all she wrote.

Try bow hunting in a tripod where you are 12' eyeheight in October and you are wearing a bug suit or leafy wear and its 95 to 105 degrees at 6pm in the afternoon and sweat is running into your eyes and dripping down onto the tripod, and you are 17 yds. from the feeder. You get busted most every time before a deer gets within bowshot range, which for me is 33 yds. max for deer and 45 yds for hogs.

At 67 I've turned into a wuss. Give me an elevated blind 100 to 300 yds. away. The odds are much more in my favor!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

ya!

GWB

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Kellory,

I bet you’d see more deer at the feeders if you put food in all of them rather than only two of the feeders. This is why you’re seeing more deer away from the feeders because all but two of your feeders are empty. Deer gotta eat too. Or did you make a typo ? Why have an empty feeder?

Edit: Ohio isn’t far if you need someone to show you.

No thanks, since I would have to charge the deer rent if I filled the other 3 feeders. They are empty and in storage. If the deer could get to them, I'd have scat throughout the cabin, and who needs that?
As for the lessons, I'd prefer to learn from someone who actually knew what he was talking about. Since you clearly do not, I'll stick with what works just fine.
About the only thing that will bring a mature buck out of the darkness, is sex, not food. Bucks feed at night.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
I have a friend who swears by soaking corn with strawberry soda. Scatter it out, deer can smell it for a long way.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by geedubya
When I get busted, its usually an older doe. As you said she will snort, blow and stamp her front legs, and then that's all she wrote.

I have shot a couple of does for doing just that!

I call them "Boone and Crockett does"... wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B3

hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Me too, especially when bow hunting.

hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by jaguartx

A couple of thoughts in this regard.

Try bow hunting in a tripod where you are 12' eyeheight in October and you are wearing a bug suit or leafy wear and its 95 to 105 degrees at 6pm in the afternoon and sweat is running into your eyes and dripping down onto the tripod, and you are 17 yds. from the feeder. You get busted most every time before a deer gets within bowshot range, which for me is 33 yds. max for deer and 45 yds for hogs.

At 67 I've turned into a wuss. Give me an elevated blind 100 to 300 yds. away. The odds are much more in my favor!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

ya!

GWB

Where do you hunt? Looks a lot like my lease in Burnet

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I call 'em "freezer fillers"

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D

People talk about wary bucks, IME, the most wary creature in the woods is an old, mature doe.

Those old huzzies will look up in your blind at a hundred yards, snort, blow and start pawing as they prepare to exit the scene.

Anything within hearing distance is alerted and probably making tracks as well. Can sorta ruin a hunt.

If I'm culling or in the market for a doe, a quick shot is the way to go. But, you can't be caught napping... grin

DF

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I really don't understand why you Texas boys don't give up your illusions that you are sporting and really hunt "fair chase" and just use thermal imaging technology and hunt at night. If that's not appealing just a spotlight will work. You could combine it with one of those new fangled integrated shooting systems that matches a rifle to a computerized, heads up display screen like in a fighter jet. The computer calculates distance, wind speed and trajectory for you. All you have to do is point the thing at a deer, lock it on target and the computer guidance system fires the rifle at precisely the right instant to virtually guarantee a hit. Supposedly makes 1000 yard hits a virtual, fool proof certainty and completely eliminates any need for skill. Should be right up your alley. Combine that with some tame, fenced in, hand raised deer and a feeder and there you go. The Texas hunters version of nirvana.

hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
More fun to shoot them ten yards away out of my shooting house.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
If all you care about is killing shyt close up to get your thrills, there are these things called slaughter houses. Should be right up your alley.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
somebody[here] gave me hell for stating that taking out the old nanny's was a good thing.
Not only are they smart, they're also eating machines!

FJB & FJT
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I really don't understand why you Texas boys don't give up your illusions that you are sporting and really hunt "fair chase" and just use thermal imaging technology and hunt at night. If that's not appealing just a spotlight will work. You could combine it with one of those new fangled integrated shooting systems that matches a rifle to a computerized, heads up display screen like in a fighter jet. The computer calculates distance, wind speed and trajectory for you. All you have to do is point the thing at a deer, lock it on target and the computer guidance system fires the rifle at precisely the right instant to virtually guarantee a hit. Supposedly makes 1000 yard hits a virtual, fool proof certainty and completely eliminates any need for skill. Should be right up your alley. Combine that with some tame, fenced in, hand raised deer and a feeder and there you go. The Texas hunters version of nirvana.

Blackheart, would you consider being the new Hunting Czar for 24HCF?

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/13649490/1

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Blackheart

Its a simple case of mind over matter.

I don't mind,

you don't matter,

BTW,

as to the Kill light, night vision, thermal thingy"

I can do that, 24/7/365, as I live in the great state of Texas

Adds a new dimension to being "afield, which I do anywhere from sixty to ninety days( and now nights) a year for the last 20 years or so.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Best,

GWB

Page 38 of 62 1 2 36 37 38 39 40 61 62

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (160user, 10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 52 invisible), 2,531 guests, and 1,329 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,475
Posts18,471,521
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.