-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Will a friend walk into your yard when the pits are playing with you?

GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by RayF
LOL. Internet name-calling.

A most excellent response, sir.

Are you claiming to know a lot about dog training?

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

I'm not trying to convince anyone to get a pit. I can't be convinced, however, that mine have been anything but the best family dogs I've ever had.

I am not a dog trainer or a people trainer. Nor am I a statistician or scientist. Hell I am not even a gambler. I would bet though, that very close to 100% of Pit owners would have said the same thing right up until the minute their sweet, harmless, best family dog evar ate MeMaw's face off.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by PPosey
All a Pitbull does better than any other breed is the fight to the death. To bore in and to kill to take punishment and keep killing. That is all they do better than any other breed. Now if one of you guys that thinks pits are just great animals can prove me wrong on that I might change my opinion on the breed.

As far as a breed goes, I submit that you are correct in saying that fighting to the death is the only breed-specific skill they may have. You use a broad stroke, but you're not wrong. I can, however, say that ones I have had have always been......wait for it......sweet and harmless until the day THEY died. They were all rescues and I have always been concerned up front. One of the benefits of adopting from a rescue like places such as BARC is that the dog is always fostered with others and I've found them always to be truthful about the dog's demeanor. My pits have always become ideal family dogs. Smart, calm, submissive (to even strangers) and eager to please. I've seen pits that don't fit that description. I would never own one.

Originally Posted by mtnsnake

I'll do you one better: I have 3 friends in my neighborhood that enter my fenced-in backyard, while the dog is out, to see if I'm in the workshop.

Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
I would bet though, that very close to 100% of Pit owners would have said the same thing right up until the minute their sweet, harmless, best family dog evar ate MeMaw's face off.

I have no idea, Paul. Much like most people on this thread, I only have limited experience and intuition. Based on mine, I'm having problems believing the vast majority of pit owners that maul people didn't have even a bit of warning. I could be wrong. I've known others that had pits. They never had problems. One guy at work has had nothing but pits his entire adult life. No issues. My wife is constantly interacting with BARC. Same thing. Maybe its luck.

“When debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.”
- Socrates
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

One of the benefits of adopting from a rescue like places such as BARC is that the dog is always fostered with others and I've found them always to be truthful about the dog's demeanor. My pits have always become ideal family dogs. Smart, calm, submissive (to even strangers) and eager to please. I've seen pits that don't fit that description. I would never own one.

I would bet though, that very close to 100% of Pit owners would have said the same thing right up until the minute their sweet, harmless, best family dog evar ate MeMaw's face off.

I have no idea, Paul. Much like most people on this thread, I only have limited experience and intuition. Based on mine, I'm having problems believing the vast majority of pit owners that maul people didn't have even a bit of warning. I could be wrong. I've known others that had pits. They never had problems. One guy at work has had nothing but pits his entire adult life. No issues. My wife is constantly interacting with BARC. Same thing. Maybe its luck.

It's not really uncommon at all for good ones to go rogue. This pit bull advocate and shelter worker met her maker in the jaws of one.

https://dogtime.com/dog-health/general/9248-tragedy-in-pacifica

https://www.mercurynews.com/2011/08...egnant-pacifica-woman-remains-a-mystery/

IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
You're a fugkin' retard.

I hope that POS dog of yours eats your face.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by PPosey
All a Pitbull does better than any other breed is the fight to the death. To bore in and to kill to take punishment and keep killing. That is all they do better than any other breed. Now if one of you guys that thinks pits are just great animals can prove me wrong on that I might change my opinion on the breed.

As far as a breed goes, I submit that you are correct in saying that fighting to the death is the only breed-specific skill they may have. You use a broad stroke, but you're not wrong. I can, however, say that ones I have had have always been......wait for it......sweet and harmless until the day THEY died. They were all rescues and I have always been concerned up front. One of the benefits of adopting from a rescue like places such as BARC is that the dog is always fostered with others and I've found them always to be truthful about the dog's demeanor. My pits have always become ideal family dogs. Smart, calm, submissive (to even strangers) and eager to please. I've seen pits that don't fit that description. I would never own one.

I'll do you one better: I have 3 friends in my neighborhood that enter my fenced-in backyard, while the dog is out, to see if I'm in the workshop.

if you can't figure out which ones are safe and which ones will kill you, is that not a problem?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by deflave
Man. This sounds like a gun control debate.

I've had 11 dogs in my life. 2 labs, a mastiff, a boxer, a mutt, a german shepard, a min pin (ex-wife), and last 4 being pit bitches. They have been the best 4 dogs I've ever had. Like many of you, I've been around a lot of dogs: Many of them hunting dogs. The only dogs that ever bit me were (2) different cocker spaniels and someone else's german shepard. All unprovoked. The bites weren't reported and I didn't sue. It makes me wonder how that feeds into statistics. I'm guessing a lot.

While I accept that pits are statistically the most deadly breed in the US, I also believe there's something being missed in this conversation. ANY dog's temperament is based on 50% breeding and 50% feeding. Essentially, all of the descendant Mastiffs breeds were used to kill. The pit, however, has been the most exploited. For the past 100 years, Mastiffs and their descendant breeds have been bred to remove aggression and make them marketable to families. This includes pits and staffies.

Unfortunately, SOME (not ALL) lines of pits are still bred to fight and its a shame because between them and the maniacs that raise them, the entire breed is given a bad name. These lines of the breed are used for fighting and guarding drugs or otherwise illegal activities. I do acknowledge that some snap. I do believe that owning a pit bares a greater responsibility to keep a watchful eye on each dog's behavior. I also believe (and this is highly opinionated) that, because mine have all been females, it may be based on a male's natural tendency to alpha up. Again, that is pure opinion based on my experience with my dogs. Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to euthanize one of mine that started show signs of aggression and I do test. Hand in the food bowl, food taken away, wrestling, etc, but thats the way my dad did it with his dogs when I was young, too, and none of them were pits.

I'm not trying to convince anyone to get a pit. I can't be convinced, however, that mine have been anything but the best family dogs I've ever had. People that can't comprehend the fact that thugs make this breed a bad thing should really consider how they feel about high capacity magazines. The same can be asked of them both: Are they NEEDED? No. Are their original designs based on creating incredible carnage? Yes. Are they misused by bad people? Absolutely. Are they hyped by the media? Yes. Have they been involved in unforeseen family tragedies? Yes. Do they bring some of us a heightened level of enjoyment in life. You bet.

Just 2 cents from a guy that's owned pits for years. Flame on.

You're just another moron that thinks he knows anything about dogs.

You don't.

Wow, Travis. That was deep. You’re so smart.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
You're a fugkin' retard.

Therein lies the truth of the matter. A sad little man who doesn’t know enough about dogs to properly train and raise one. “My dog growled at my kid so I had to Glock it.” Drool runs down mouth...

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

My neighbors do routinely. As a matter of fact, my dog follow me in the front yard and watches deer les than 20 yards away and doesn’t bolt after them. Can your poodle do that?

IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
You're a fugkin' retard.

Therein lies the truth of the matter. A sad little man who doesn’t know enough about dogs to properly train and raise one. “My dog growled at my kid so I had to Glock it.” Drool runs down mouth...

I typed that in jest.

Apologies if it came across as being serious. I may have to start using the smiley faces on here.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's not really uncommon at all for good ones to go rogue. This pit bull advocate and shelter worker met her maker in the jaws of one.

Thanks for the article, Paul. Good read. A lot of good stuff for both sides of the discussion. As far as "not really uncommon" goes, I'd be more likely to use "not really unheard of". Tragic as it was, it happened 8 years ago. Unfortunately, it didn't go into the dog's background. Did it ever show aggression? Could some have been overlooked as a breed enthusiast?

Originally Posted by sse
if you can't figure out which ones are safe and which ones will kill you, is that not a problem?

Agreed, sse. What if you can figure out which ones are safe, however, and choose to ignore it?

Having to pick only one: Is the issue that they're more prone to aggressive behavior or more apt to seriously injure or kill? Personally, I say its the latter. Based on everything I've read and experienced as an owner, they are no more likely to attack than any other breed. When they do, however, it can life-threatening and personally, I consider that a reason for responsible owners that are tuned into the dog's demeanor without dismissal of even the smallest acts of aggression. In other words, if my dog starts to act like a guard dog, it has to be euthanized. Its my personally belief that people overlook these things when they adopt or raise them and because of the potential lethality, owners have the moral obligation to hold the breed to a higher standard . Again, strictly opinion.

Then there's the internet, where most people learn what they know about the APBT...... http://stubbydog.org/2012/05/pit-bulls-by-the-numbers/

- Socrates
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
none of that solves the problem

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Then there's the internet, where most people learn what they know about the APBT...... http://stubbydog.org/2012/05/pit-bulls-by-the-numbers/

Oh no..........Da ain't gonna like dat..........

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by sse
none of that solves the problem

I agree with you, sir. Much like the high capacity gun debate, as long as a large enough group of people choose to pick what facts they want to observe, the problem will always remain.......for them.

Some people read or watch the news about a mass shooting and take the position that 30-rd mags didn't exist, the incident wouldn't have occurred. They ask why does someone need a 30-rd mag anyway? They will point out that high-cap mags have been used in nearly all mass shootings. They may even suggest that high-cap mags is a ticking time bombs for a civil war. When disputed, they'll be so emotionally embedded in the fact that high-cap mags are evil, that they'll dismiss anything, regardless of how compelling it is, as irrelevant. A former pro-gun advocate will change their postilion and publicly claim that guns are evil when tragedy falls upon his family. People of low morale standard will insult gun owners and openly wish harm on them.

Does any of this sound familiar? It should because the same debate pattern is taking place in this thread. There is one big difference, however: As it's been pointed out, a pit is a living, breathing animal. They bite on their own accord. Guns don't. But pits are also cherished family members to countless families. Millions of them exist. Whether people choose to ignore it or not, the vast majority of them will never harm a person. Ted Kennedy's car has harmed more people than my guns and my pits combined.

Again, I'm not trying to convince anyone to get a pit. As an owner of pits for almost 20 years, however, I'm hoping to remove a little of the false narrative (based on cherry-picked "facts") that should be familiar to gun owners.

- Socrates
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Ray, I had an old buddy [he died last year] that dealt in some sort of Georgia Blue, Pit, American crossbred bulldogs, they had their bloodlines isolated? back in the 1920's, I want to say throughout Georgia, Alabama, Louisiana, anyway, his pups sold for 10 grand, and that's if he knew you, a really tight dog circle, those were the most fierce, spooky looking, intensely watchful, well behaved animals I've ever seen, he said they have absolutely no interest in anything with two legs, four legs, completely different.

I knew that guy for better than 30 years, I ask him if he'd ever been bit by one of his dogs, he said No, I never saw any scars on him to believe any different, so that brings a greenhorn like me back too, it's ALL in the breeding AND training.

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gunner500
Ray, I had an old buddy [he died last year] that dealt in some sort of Georgia Blue, Pit, American crossbred bulldogs, they had their bloodlines isolated? back in the 1920's, I want to say throughout Georgia, Alabama, Louisiana, anyway, his pups sold for 10 grand, and that's if he knew you, a really tight dog circle, those were the most fierce, spooky looking, intensely watchful, well behaved animals I've ever seen, he said they have absolutely no interest on anything with two legs, four legs, completely different.

I knew that guy for better than 30 years, I ask him if he'd ever been bit by one of his dogs, he said No, I never saw any scars on him to believe any different, so that brings a greenhorn like me back too, it's ALL in the breeding AND training.

I agree with that Gunner, just like any other breed one can go bad every now and then the only problem with pits is that they are so capable when they do go bad. Hell almost no one has ever heard of a Golden Retriever biting someone, I have a cousin who had one it even bit me but we learned that if he was put to bed @ 7:00 at night he was a perfectly behaved dog. He ended up dying from a brain tomah, he probably should have bee put to sleep long ago but most cannot do that with a dog as they humanize them and their emotions won't let them do it.

Anyone with a large breed dog that shows aggression towards people should be put down but folks always make excuses for their "Babies" and then it's to late, "it" happens.

As for comparing Guns and Pits, it's a bad comparison but the Pit haters argue it in the same manner with their emotions taking over.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
You bet Mag, kind of like men and bulldogs, when we fu-k up we get put in a cage or put down, no one cares if a chi wa wa bites. grin my old dead Buddies dogs were a thing to behold, he had a 105lb male named Ace that was an "on command" killing machine of hogs.

Trump Won!
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Owning the lowest rated vehicle available is likely going to result in a broke down vehicle. Eating at one star restaurants are likely going to result in you not enjoying your dining experience. And owning a breed of dog that has a genetic propensity for violence is likely going to result in violence.

Kennel owners can't accept pits in their facility because their insurance companies don't allow it. Some veterinarians will not allow pits into their facility because their insurance company will not allow it. Miami-Dade is one of the largest metropolitan areas in the country. You are forbidden to own pits here. If you are found to have one, the city gives you five days to make it gone. If you don't, they make it gone for you. The data is there. The data is undeniable.

The problem with pit bulls is the same as the anti-vaccination crowd. You think you should have the freedom but the reality is that your poor decision affects everyone surrounding you. When you see someone that is adamant about owning a pitbull and forcing that decision onto their community, what you're seeing is plain old fashioned selfishness.

Me, me, me. I'm all that matters. A common trend in 2019.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
.....he said they have absolutely no interest in anything with two legs, four legs, completely different.

This has been my experience, as well, Gunner.

....it's ALL in the breeding AND training.

Agreed.

Originally Posted by 12344mag
Anyone with a large breed dog that shows aggression towards people should be put down but folks always make excuses for their "Babies" and then it's to late, "it" happens.

Mag, I couldn't agree with you more.

- Socrates
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

631 members (163bc, 12344mag, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 16gage, 10gaugemag, 58 invisible), 3,137 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,965
Posts18,519,524
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.