Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 25 of 74 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 73 74
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Y'all are making me jealous. I used to live in central Georgia and found all kinds of points and pottery down there, along the Oconee River.
All you had to do was walk the fields in the spring, after they were plowed and after a rain. I got some really nice points.

Now I live in the NC mountains. I walk the fields along the creek and the river here, I never have found a single point, or even a flint flake.
There were Indians in the NC mountains, I guess they didn't like my neighborhood.

By the way, some of my buddies were looking in the Oconee River in Milledgeville Ga. right where the highway bridge crosses. They found a clay pipe, Indian pipe, made in the shape of a duck. I mean this piece would have been accepted by a museum.
It was about 4 inches long they said.
The boys had it for about a month, and one night they were smoking pot from it, dropped it on the kitchen floor and it shattered into a hundred pieces. Wie Schade.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by 673
Just wondering, you said you were going out.

We have had a really really wet winter.
Hopefully within the next 2 weeks they will start plowing.
I'm starting new
Sold my points , bought a gun with the funds.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
We been out once bout 3 weeks ago walking between rows of scrub winter wheat. I also have found a few out squirrel hunting.
[Linked Image]

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
Y'all are making me jealous. I used to live in central Georgia and found all kinds of points and pottery down there, along the Oconee River.
All you had to do was walk the fields in the spring, after they were plowed and after a rain. I got some really nice points.

Now I live in the NC mountains. I walk the fields along the creek and the river here, I never have found a single point, or even a flint flake.
There were Indians in the NC mountains, I guess they didn't like my neighborhood.

By the way, some of my buddies were looking in the Oconee River in Milledgeville Ga. right where the highway bridge crosses. They found a clay pipe, Indian pipe, made in the shape of a duck. I mean this piece would have been accepted by a museum.
It was about 4 inches long they said.
The boys had it for about a month, and one night they were smoking pot from it, dropped it on the kitchen floor and it shattered into a hundred pieces. Wie Schade.

Hahaha!!!
Was it good herb at least???

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by renegade50
Me and slumlord went to check some fields
Ain't been plowed yet.
Ground is like a full sponge .

That, and tornado on the ground 2 counties west of our spot.
Didnt want to get 1/2 mile out into the field and have a storm pop in.

πŸƒπŸΏπŸƒπŸΏπŸŒ©πŸŒͺπŸ”πŸ’©

Dude the next time you use little pic thingys of dudes hauling ass from the weather

Make sure they are caucasian!!!!!

I'm fugging offended.....

Hahahaha!!!!

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Still need hit up that strip of ground where I seen the "Bicycle Retard" walking.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
[Linked Image]

Anyway, here is an axe head that I found along the Oconee River in Georgia.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by slumlord
Still need hit up that strip of ground where I seen the "Bicycle Retard" walking.

Whatcha got going tommorow?

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Big rain here for the last 3 days, should have washed some goodies out of the creek banks and washes. We’ll find out on Saturday morning.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
[Linked Image]

I wish we could run across stuff that
Pipes, effigy,s bowls ect ect ect.

Slumlord likes tools.
I give him that stuff.
For some reason I like thumb scrapers, heel scrapers.
He dont get those.

Hahaha!!!

IC B3

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

You said you found it along the river, do the rivers there change course continually? is the axe head fairly recent do you think? it doesn't look that worn really...up here the river near me has moved 100 yds in less than 100 years. Making it hard to find stuff because I dont know where it was 200 years ago.

Last edited by 673; 03/14/19.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by TheKid
Big rain here for the last 3 days, should have washed some goodies out of the creek banks and washes. We’ll find out on Saturday morning.

We have had plenty of rain around here.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I wish they would plow the ground down behind my house along the cumberland.
They bust up that ground , plant tobacco every 3 or 4 years .
I have found paleo to Mississippian down their on 3 hot spots of pretty decent size from 2 acres to 30 acres.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
found a crude spearpoint and an old-timey cinch ring by the playa...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

kind of a cowboy/indian type day....

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by 673
[Linked Image]

You said you found it along the river, do the rivers there change course continually? is the axe head fairly recent do you think? it doesn't look that worn really...up here the river near me has moved 100 yds in less than 100 years. Making it hard to find stuff because I dont know where it was 200 years ago.

This was found along the Oconee River in Baldwin County Georgia. No the river hasn't changed course or I would have seen the other channels.

Whitey came in about 1804 to start the town of Milledgeville nearby, of course there would have been isolated log cabins etc for several decades prior to that. I mean, by 1780 old Big Buffalo could have gotten a steel axe head in trade so I would think this thing was made prior to 1750 or so.

I mean, other than that, how do you tell if it is 300 years old, or 3,000 years old? Can you imagine how much work it would be to make a stone axehead with stone tools.

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 673
[Linked Image]

This was found along the Oconee River in Baldwin County Georgia. No the river hasn't changed course or I would have seen the other channels.

Whitey came in about 1804 to start the town of Milledgeville nearby, of course there would have been isolated log cabins etc for several decades prior to that. I mean, by 1780 old Big Buffalo could have gotten a steel axe head in trade so I would think this thing was made prior to 1750 or so.

I mean, other than that, how do you tell if it is 300 years old, or 3,000 years old? Can you imagine how much work it would be to make a stone axehead with stone tools.

Interesting, heck of a nice find.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image]

I don't think that was an axe as in terms of cutting down trees...

That's a very good find, BTW. smile

Mostly those "axe" heads were attached to a handle and were used to crack bones so the Indians could get at the marrow. We all know they didn't waste anything of the kill. But Indians loved bone marrow. They thought of marrow as we think of butter today...

Molɔ̀ːn LabΓ© SkΓ½la!
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Yeah, I never thought it would be too good for chopping down a tree. Take two days to make the axe head and it breaks after 30 minutes of chopping a tree.
I am on the road now but that thing is pretty big for a bone cracker. It is about five inches long and four inches high. Let's see, a carpenter's hammer might have a 16 ounce head, this Indian tool weighs about 3 pounds.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
well if the urth is only 6,000 years old, they couldve cracked brontosaurus femurs with it.

πŸ˜„

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
[Linked Image]

I don't think that was an axe as in terms of cutting down trees...

That's a very good find, BTW. smile

Mostly those "axe" heads were attached to a handle and were used to crack bones so the Indians could get at the marrow. We all know they didn't waste anything of the kill. But Indians loved bone marrow. They thought of marrow as we think of butter today...

Or skulls....grin...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Page 25 of 74 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 73 74

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (22250rem, 06hunter59, 1minute, 2500HD, 222Sako, 1lessdog, 59 invisible), 2,643 guests, and 1,184 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,915
Posts18,498,329
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.