Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
gerry,

I always love statements about "the real world" during these discussions.

In the real world, where 99% of deer are killed at 200 yards or less, a .30-30 with 150-grain factory loads will do just as well as a super-accurate 6.5.

In the real world, 99% of the big game hunters could do anything they desire with a .30-06.

In the real world, I bet you haven't been using a .260 (with whatever bullet) all your hunting life.

In the real world, the 6.5 Creedmoor now has every advantage over the .260 for the average hunter, because it's chambered in so many affordable, super-accurate rifles, and affordable, super-accurate ammunition is available in so many stores. The .260 isn't dead, by any means, but in the real world it lags behind.

In the real world, I haven't yet gotten the 140 Ballistic Tip to shoot quite as well as the 129 ABLR in my rifles chambered in the .260, 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5x55, 6.5 PRC and 26 Nosler. But then, I generally spend more time experimenting than the average handloader, because that's part of my job.

In the real world, the major advancements involving hunting rifles have been the invention of rifling itself around 500 years ago, the development of practical smokeless rifle powders in the 1880's (smokeless handgun and shotgun powders already existed), the jacketed spitzer bullets that appeared soon after smokeless powder, a vast improvement in sights, and the laser rangefinder. The other advancements have been much smaller, but that doesn't mean they're not real, at least for some hunters and hunting.

And no, I am not one of those hunters who only shoots the latest advancements. The last two rifles I've acquired have been a custom 6.5 PRC and a "trapdoor" 1866 Springfield .50-70, and I plan to hunt with both this coming fall.

Glad you are here to set everyone straight and thanks for your assumptions on my hunting experience. You mentioned the 6.5 Creedmoor, I didn't and it doesn't factor into anything I have mentioned. I just mentioned my experience with those 3 bullets in several 6.5 cartridges. In the "real world" you are acting like a jackass because someone doesn't agree with you or has a different experience.Who cares if someone has a different experience than you? I won't be commenting on this again and you don't have to either if you don't wish to. Have a great day.

Gerry.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cool we have bunched panties now

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
shoots4fun,

No, I didn't think you were badgering me! Thanks for your feedback, and glad you like our writing.

As for 6.5 Creedmoor veloicities, I'm getting 2750 with 143 Hornady ELD-X's in a 22" RAR Predator, and 2800 in a 24" Franchi Momentum, using IMR4451 with published data.

I suspect a LOT of handloader go after all the muzzle velocity they can, even though higher-BC will make more difference at longer ranges, because that's what handloaders have done since the development of smokeless powder. One of my good friends is typical: He spends a lot of time squeezing every last fps out of all his rifles, even though a lot of the bullets he uses have pretty low BC's. Yet he "knows" the 6.5 Creedmoor can't work as an open-country hunting rifle because the muzzle velocities are "too slow."

That's what friends are for John. To add entertainment to this bleak world we live in. Mine are better at helping me move furniture, or working on cars. Most of them shoot factory ammo and have no idea what bc means... grin Most of us here are rifle loonies, like yourself. We all have different experiences here and also bring a lot to the table. I'm new to the creed, but have an appreciation for the little 6.5 caliber. My experience with the creedmoor, as of yet, has been punching paper and ringing steel at various ranges. I've only had one for about 6 months now and have right at 1000 rounds on my savage and about a hundy on my new Tikka superlite now. The furthest out I shoot steel is 440 yards, at the moment. One thing I can say is the 140gr. Hornady ELD cuts through the winds we have here in the Columbia River Gorge like nothing else I've seen. My boss shoots a 300wm and we regularly shoot steel at 440 and the creed walks all over his 178gr Berger VLD load. I got bored one day and punched a 3" hole in the center of the steel plate with the creed, then went to the 4" targets. No misses that day, wind or not. So how much BC does one really need? I guess that all depends on how far you intend to shoot.... As soon as the snow melts and I can get to my favorite spot to shoot out to 1000 yards, I'll keep using the 140 ELD, as it's been doing great so far.... The 147 may do a touch better at 1000, but I don't intend to shoot an animal at that range anyhow... 650-800? Maybe... wink .. That all depends on where I'm hunting this year.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
Cool we have bunched panties now

And sandy manginas.... eek

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’m running 130 gr AB’s over Re17 in my Creed see no reason to change very accurate and all critters died proficiently

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
That'll sure work--and not just on deer. In 2017 one of my partners on a hunt here in Montana killed a big bull elk with a 130 AB from the 6.5 Creedmoor. Put the bullet behind the should and the bull was down within 50 yards.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Heck, for my needs a 140gr 6.5mm Partition is a good hunting bullet in any of my 6.5 Swedes, but I'm not a good enough shot to feel comfortable shooting at big game much beyond 400 yards.

Last edited by 340boy; 03/24/19. Reason: Spelling

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
One of the interesting side-effects of the "long range" phenomenon: Several years ago I killed pretty nice whitetail buck with a 6.5x55 and a 140-grain Partition.

Posted it somewhere on the Internet (maybe here) and somebody asked: "What was the range?"

I posted: "About 35 yards."

He posted: "Only 35 yards? Not much of a hunter, are you?"

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One of the interesting side-effects of the "long range" phenomenon: Several years ago I killed pretty nice whitetail buck with a 6.5x55 and a 140-grain Partition.

Posted it somewhere on the Internet (maybe here) and somebody asked: "What was the range?"

😃 Yep, that does sound like something you would read here at the Fire!

You know, it wasn't that long ago that the BC of the 140gr 6.5 Partition was considered to be pretty respectable? My how times have changed.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

OK John, confess!
That comment came from Joseph von Benedickt didn't it?
wink

Last edited by shoots4fun; 03/25/19.

I'm shoot4fun on Accurate Shooter Forum and you can see my feedback there.
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Ha! But no.

I didn't recognize the commenter's name.

John Steinbeck
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I am thinking it is harder to find a bad 6.5mm bullet than if you randomly selected just about anything over 120 grains and it should work fine. My short list of questionable bullets is 160 Hornaday RN this based on reports by others, 120 gr. Hertenberger this bullet was designed for Roe Bok and Capercaille so good for Turkey and Coyotes, SST verdict is still out but good for practice as a match to the AB & ABLR. Have not used anything less than 120 grains yet so no telling which are game bullets and which are varmint ones.

130 AB vs 129 ABLR depends on price and availability mostly to me. The 129 is a soft bullet but still holds together well enough for shorter ranges. But for all around use for larger game I would pick the AB as it has not let me down and may destroy less meat. It also retains more weight up to 60% as opposed to the ABLR down to 30% but difficult to say as both usually punch through so nothing to compare is left.

JB: That comment on your hunting ability was like when I told a friend that I had landed my first rainbow over 10lbs from the lower 48 and he said "did you get him on a dry fly?" Fact is It was on a #28 nymph so I broke into the 20-20 club too, a trout over 20" on a fly smaller than #20 but it was unsporting since it wansn't a floating fly.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Tejano,

Ah yes, the old dry versus wet snobbery!

That's a heck of rainbow for the lower 48. Where?

John Steinbeck
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
San Juan River. I did my usual blind pig truffle hunting number and just started casting in the first riffle I walked up to. It happened to be where everyone crossed over to another run. Every time someone went by I would land another trout as they were inadvertently doing the "San Juan Shuffle" for me (dislodging nymphs). The smallest of five was around 3 lbs. I was so pumped I was babbling incoherently when anyone came by, which was fine as it scared off the other anglers.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Aha! Yeah, there are some real trout in that river.

While I have never done the 20/20 thing, Eileen came pretty close to it on the Bighorn one year. She saw spotted a trout sipping along the edge-line of a shallow riffle. She cast a #20 dry fly (I can't remember exactly what it was) above the sips and the rainbow took off down stream, showing its side while it turned, obviously bigger than the typical 16-18 inch Bighorn fish. She had never hooked a trout nearly that big on a fly rod before, though had caught much larger "silvers" in Alaska on a spinning rod, and actually tried to hand the rod to me, afraid she'd lose the fish, but I refused, saying she'd get it done. It took a while, and some following of the fish downstream (we were out of the boat and wading), but she did land it.

John Steinbeck
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Aha! Yeah, there are some real trout in that river.

While I have never done the 20/20 thing, Eileen came pretty close to it on the Bighorn one year. She saw spotted a trout sipping along the edge-line of a shallow riffle. She cast a #20 dry fly (I can't remember exactly what it was) above the sips and the rainbow took off down stream, showing its side while it turned, obviously bigger than the typical 16-18 inch Bighorn fish. She had never hooked a trout nearly that big on a fly rod before, though had caught much larger "silvers" in Alaska on a spinning rod, and actually tried to hand the rod to me, afraid she'd lose the fish, but I refused, saying she'd get it done. It took a while, and some following of the fish downstream (we were out of the boat and wading), but she did land it.

Mule Deer, As you most likely know we have a little place right here in Montana where 15- 20lb rainbows are not uncommon. For the sake of keeping one of Montana's best kept secrets I'm not going to mention where it is on the internet

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, I know, and in fact there have been a few places where both really big browns and rainbows could be caught over the years. But I have never done "where-to" articles, and learned a LONG time ago not to broadcast stuff like that.

The Bighorn is an exception, because it's already famous. There used to be far bigger trout in it years ago, before it became famous.

John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Tejano
I am thinking it is harder to find a bad 6.5mm bullet than if you randomly selected just about anything over 120 grains and it should work fine. My short list of questionable bullets is 160 Hornaday RN this based on reports by others, 120 gr. Hertenberger this bullet was designed for Roe Bok and Capercaille so good for Turkey and Coyotes, SST verdict is still out but good for practice as a match to the AB & ABLR. Have not used anything less than 120 grains yet so no telling which are game bullets and which are varmint ones.

130 AB vs 129 ABLR depends on price and availability mostly to me. The 129 is a soft bullet but still holds together well enough for shorter ranges. But for all around use for larger game I would pick the AB as it has not let me down and may destroy less meat. It also retains more weight up to 60% as opposed to the ABLR down to 30% but difficult to say as both usually punch through so nothing to compare is left.

JB: That comment on your hunting ability was like when I told a friend that I had landed my first rainbow over 10lbs from the lower 48 and he said "did you get him on a dry fly?" Fact is It was on a #28 nymph so I broke into the 20-20 club too, a trout over 20" on a fly smaller than #20 but it was unsporting since it wansn't a floating fly.

In northern New England the Hornberg has been one of the best go to fly for years. Some fish it dry, some fish it wet, and some even troll with the streamer version. Traditional dry fly aficionados look down on it because it is too versatile and damned effective too!

I had a bunch of Hornbergs tied with an iridescent body that I use a lot when I have the opportunity to cast a fly.

That said, the biggest stream trout that I've caught was a brown on a black marabou jig in the pool below the dam on the Ammonoosuc River at Bath, NH. I released it so that others might have the opportunity to catch and release it.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I used to really enjoy fishing the Ammonoosuc when I lived in NE. Occasional atlantics in there as well.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by 340boy
Heck, for my needs a 140gr 6.5mm Partition is a good hunting bullet in any of my 6.5 Swedes, but I'm not a good enough shot to feel comfortable shooting at big game much beyond 400 yards.

Yesterday I tried a variety of loads in my T3x in 6.5 Creed. One load was 140 Partitions using RL16 that shot in ~.6” for three shots at an average of 2780fps. I can get other bullets such as 139 Scenars or 147 ELDs to shoot equally well, but there is something appealing about having a Partition when elk hunting.

I also did more bullet tests into damp media last weekend and the Partition really shined there too. Confidence inspiring.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (10gaugeman, 222Sako, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 257robertsimp, 1beaver_shooter, 55 invisible), 1,725 guests, and 1,212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,144
Posts18,523,316
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.