-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They are doing their BEST...which is both sad and fhuqking true................(grin)

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
GB1

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by Dreamin
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Originally Posted by Slowdrifter
Can't really form an opinion about old growth harvest in SE, but, I'm smack dab in the middle of the closest thing, Washington's Olympic peninsula. Similar climate, similar timber type, and up until the spotted owl farce, similar timber harvest. All I can say, after having this same conversation about a million times, is that I have to agree with Big Stick. A study done by the feds will produce no clear answers. Period. Where I'm at, that has been proven time and time again. The only result is terrible mismanagement of a resource. If the feds, and state would listen to people like stick, they're be better off. No one is a better steward if he land than a logger or timber cutter. We made a choice to surround ourselves with it, for work and play.

I am all for cutting lots of trees. It has been a major part of my life in different ways for a very long time. I am opposed to clearcutting Tongass old growth. The evidence has been there for decades that selective cutting of the best wood with the least intrusion into the area will allow sustainable natural regrowth.

Washington State is worlds away from the Tongass in terms of natural reprod, but the Olympic Peninsula is a case where the they also overcut the natural regrowth rates because they used numbers from south of there to project regrowth. And you are admitting they have done a terrible job. They did that cutting less than folks like you wanted cut. Your argument is seriously flawed based on that simple fact you admit openly to.

I have yet to meet anyone that is a worse steward of the land than a logger. If you question that go take a look at Afognak Island. And I know Stick was there cutting it. The strips on cliff tops, along streams, and everywhere else they were forced to leave trees were far too narrow for any reasonable person to accept. And after the first few clearcuts had been hit by major storms it was obvious to all but the willfully blind. They keep cutting right to the numbers and those strips are gone.

Afognak is essentially piss flat,where Harvests occur. It isn't laced with heavy/copious topsoil or prone to landslides,to inundate waterways with unwanted impacts. Hint.

It'll come as a "surprise" to none,who actually stomp around Outdoors,that it takes MUCH more than a limb in the water,to make a Salmon sad. Fact is,The Forest Circus tosses obscene dollars,at arranging that very thing. Hint.

Pardon my being afforded the luxuries,of not being forced to guess. Pinnipeds are wayyyyyyyyyy harder on Salmonids,than the Greenie War Cry of Loggers "hurting" those runs. Now you know too.

Hint.................

Yep! It’s called “LWD” (large woody debris). Literally bolts root wads to a river bed. Meanwhile the river meanders wherever it is pushed over time. Dumbest thing I’ve ever seen.

So you think LWD is not important in a riverbed to correct or slow or preempt scouring post clearcutting?

Thinking it unimportant is another example of great stewardship.

Stick beat me to the punch.

Mother Nature’s win-loss record is impeccable.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Seen it.................(grin)

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The HORROR!..................(grin)

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Hahahaha!!!! I still laugh at the "engineered log jams" that they put in a local river. Next high water the river changed channels. The jams have been sitting high and dry for 6 or 8 years right next to hwy 101. Laugh every time I drive by. Idiots....

Right!? I especially love the engineered wetlands. Let’s put a rain forest in a tiny little itty bitty space IN THE MIDDLE OF THE DESERT, it’ll take root and survive on it’s own! And it won’t look out of place at all! But hey, it meets mitigation requirements!

But hey, the reality is that this [bleep] will only get worse before it gets better. Coming to a state near you soon!

IC B2

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Hahahaha!!!! I still laugh at the "engineered log jams" that they put in a local river. Next high water the river changed channels. The jams have been sitting high and dry for 6 or 8 years right next to hwy 101. Laugh every time I drive by. Idiots....

And this will come as no surprise to you, but someone made a crap ton of money off of building that log jam!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nooooooooooooo?!?....................(grin)

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
They high graded spruce for the ones I'm talking about. Hired an excavator, pushed the tree over, trimmed the root ball to fit on a low boy truck and left 30' of log on it. Paid $2000-2500 per tree. Old gal that sold them the timber thought it was the most rediculous thing she'd very heard, and said she felt guilty cashing the checks. So, yeah, crap ton of money changing hands is right.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Rediculous mis-management, Washington state style.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've seen 'em fly [bleep] in,then fly it back out...then fly the schit back in again.

Get one GOOD Gully Washer and the schit be gone.

Fairly fhuqking "impressive"...............(grin)

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Have you been to the west side of the peninsula??? Love to see your regrowth stats. Because, you sure aren't making any sense to me at all. And I've read the numbers, helped do the studies, and had boots actually on the ground a court times....what your saying loosely equates to me telling you how to cut your grass from 1000 miles away. Not once did I say I had a right to an opinion on the Tongass. I made a loose comparison to the area I know. Fully aware they are night and day different.

I have seen a lot of clearcuts from northern CA to Afognak. Spent some time in more than a few of them and even got a process patent based on an idea I came up with while standing in a clearcut. And you have likely heard of the process if you are at all involved in the timber industry.

But do carry on.

Carry on about your patent.

All the guys want to be me, and all the bitches want to do me.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Yes please. We'd all like to hear about your patent.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Yes please. We'd all like to hear about your patent.

Seems these two know it all dickwads have clammed up.

W
WDH Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Sitka deer can’t reply, it’s late in the day and he’s too busy starring at himself in the mirror while he pats himself on the back muttering “I am the best, I know it all”

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna

My last post on this thread...

I cannot begin to express my disappointment in your total lack of intellectual honesty on display on this topic. You cannot be stupid enough to believe what you have stated and you cannot possibly be so pathetically stupid as to so totally fail to understand the concept of argumentation and debate. Throwing schit out just to be an ass wastes everybody's time and thinking you are winning anything is too pathetic to be funny.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by WDH
Sitka deer can’t reply, it’s late in the day and he’s too busy starring at himself in the mirror while he pats himself on the back muttering “I am the best, I know it all”

He’s frustrated because he is the only one good enough to pleasure himself.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

My last post on this thread...

I cannot begin to express my disappointment in your total lack of intellectual honesty on display on this topic. You cannot be stupid enough to believe what you have stated and you cannot possibly be so pathetically stupid as to so totally fail to understand the concept of argumentation and debate. Throwing schit out just to be an ass wastes everybody's time and thinking you are winning anything is too pathetic to be funny.

You know whats pathetic. Besides your posts.

Your total lack of substance in general, but mostly you say nothing about this patent of yours.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Guess we scared him away...

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Guess we scared him away...

Don’t get your hopes up. It can’t last.

W
WDH Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Little known fact is Sitka deer invented the internet but being a humble man that he is let his buddy al gore take credit.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

248 members (257_X_50, 10ring1, 1_deuce, 12savage, 29aholic, 264mag, 31 invisible), 2,295 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,502
Posts18,490,492
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.