Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Only animal I ever headshot was a coyote, lying in a depression, that's all I could get glass on, on deer/elk etc, yes, I'm going to kill them for food and the sport of hunting, just not going to ass rape them first, I respect and thank them for their lives, it sustains myself, and families lives through good nutrition. smile

Trump Won!
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by OrangeDiablo
For those of you that want DRT results, why hasn't anyone mentioned head shots? Yes it's a smaller target, but if you hit em in the head, I will bet nearly everything I have they will DRT. Opening day of doe season, we have a contest to see who can hit closest to the eye. Makes a mess, but, DRT and no meat loss.

Szchit nevers go wrong – until it does.
I've had to burn a buck tag twice in my life (on deer I wouldn't normally shoot) because some yahoo-never-misses sniper shot the jaw off a deer.

Given Murphy's propensity, and the fact that I'm not at war with the animals, head shots are a hard pass for me.

+1 Scott...I busted the back on a bull many years ago down deep into a canyon. I watched the bull to make sure it was done before I started assembling my hauler gear to head down to take it out...The bull suddenly puts it head up looking around. Dang bull went from lying dead to head up. Not wanting to send another round into good meat, I took a head shot and the elk head and neck flopped over...Done!

It took me over an hour to get down and onto the bull...The poor bull was still alive trying to get up missing it’s lower jaw. I had my pistol and took care of it immediately. This bull made my future decisions to never take another head shot.. I will lose some meat before I would have my animal suffer. 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Another friend/coworker/neighbor shot at a buck with a 30/06 aiming at it's head and knocked it down but when he got up to were it was laying apparently lifeless he saw that his bullet had only blew it's bottom jaw off. He said he poked it in it's eye with his rifle barrel a few times with no reaction whatsoever so he figured it was dead but as he was field dressing it and grabbed a hold of it's heart to cut it free it was still beating.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Do you understand the physics of splitting the atom and the resulting damage caused in a nuclear explosion?

Probably not, but that doesn't stop it from happening. Both shoulders were destroyed, bone and structure. I have seen many deer killed with all types of bullets and calibers. This isn't just a "hey what's going on here" happening...

Thanks shrap.

Even tho I’ve shot/killed deer w/7 mags, 300 mags, & 8 mmRM, I never shot a deer
“straight on” with any of them—-so I haven’t seen that result.

Thnx for UR response.

BTW, I had to point out “front” shoulders. grin

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
DRT ... I think the value varies with the terrain you hunt. It might not matter to a flat-land whitetail hunter unless they're hunting close to the boundary of property they don't have permission to enter. For a sheep or goat hunter, even one good lunge might be off a 1000 foot drop leading to an unrecoverable animal.

Take the shot you need to make under the conditions, and if you don't have the skills to make that shot, don't shoot.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Jerry if a buck is quartering towards you, couldn’t the shoulder nearer to you be referred to as the front shoulder?? grin

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
On-side front shoulder - They are both still shoulders.

Although, I assume Jerry was actually meaning that deer do not have rear shoulders !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by southtexas
Jerry if a buck is quartering towards you, couldn’t the shoulder nearer to you be referred to as the front shoulder?? grin

I 'suppose'............ to a TWISTED Texas mind ! whistle

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
On-side front shoulder - They are both still shoulders.

Although, I assume Jerry was actually meaning that deer do not have rear shoulders !

DING ! DING ! DING !

We have a Winner. grin

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep

“TWISTED Texas mind”.....some folks would consider that redundant

IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Mo Greening um works every time

[Linked Image]

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Never moved except to lay out flat.

[Linked Image]

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
One of my favs. 330yards 300 OTM at 2890.

[Linked Image]

It did role slightly down hill.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

This one was DRT when he came back down to earth...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I shout them in the front shoulders, they don’t go far!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I always thought that my archery shot deer tasted better than my rifle shot deer because the broadhead killed by bleeding the animal more thoroughly. Archery shot deer always ran and while I've had some DRT rifle kills, those always involved the cns or at least one shoulder. Thinking back on my packing house days, those animals were killed by cutting the major neck arteries and bleeding them after they were stunned with a pneumatic knocker and hanging upside down from a rail. Using that as a guide to better tasting meat, I don't mind if my deer run a little ways, but I want a big leaky exit wound to help find them.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Exactly !

+1

& I always figured, blood trailing was one of the most exciting & important skills of hunting !

smile

YMMV

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by MILES58
Re: blood trails.

Whether you shoot them with an arrow or a rifle, there are no guarantees whatsoever that you will get a blood trail, whether it will last as long as the deer does or not. Out of the last 8 deer, one left zero blood trail until it tipped over. Not so much as a single drop. It made it maybe 50 yards and then at tip over it looked like a slaughter house. Everything within 10 feet was red. One did an excellent job of putting blood on the ground for 300 yards, at which time he ran out of blood and managed another 100 yards. One bled good for 250 yards and then quit for 200. She then bled enough to follow to where she tipped over 300 yards further. One bled very heavily for 300 yards to the point it was stopping every six feet and putting 1/2 cup of blood on each side. But he made it another 100 without further bleeding. All of those were hit with large 4 blade mech heads and double lunged but for one.

I shot one fawn through the bottom inch of both scapulae which turned both lungs into red soup but for a fist size chunk and shredded the top 2/3 of the heart. That damn deer bled for 3 jumps and then not another drop. That deer should by all rights have been DRT, but it departed like i never touched it.

I have had 3 DRT deer with an arrow. I will be damned if I could say why they didn't run, but the they went nowhere. Kind of like the deer just figured I been shot and now I am going to be dinner, and then laid down dead

I guess having seen so many die with such widely varied results after the shot is why I don't have even the slightest bias toward any caliber, mech or fixed heads, bow or rifle.

I will say though that I am just about certain that all of the deer I have killed with an arrow I would have clipped the brain stem had I been using a rifle. Roughly 1/3 of the deer I have killed with a rifle were either head shots or brain stem shots. All but one of them were very close, archery range or closer.

I'd switch broadheads.

I am listening. Like i said above, I do not have the slightest allegiance to caliber, mech or fixed heads,bow or rifle.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by hanco
I shout them in the front shoulders, they don’t go far!

You must have one hell of a voice!

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by tzone
Re: blood trails.

Whether you shoot them with an arrow or a rifle, there are no guarantees whatsoever that you will get a blood trail, whether it will last as long as the deer does or not. Out of the last 8 deer, one left zero blood trail until it tipped over. Not so much as a single drop. It made it maybe 50 yards and then at tip over it looked like a slaughter house. Everything within 10 feet was red. One did an excellent job of putting blood on the ground for 300 yards, at which time he ran out of blood and managed another 100 yards. One bled good for 250 yards and then quit for 200. She then bled enough to follow to where she tipped over 300 yards further. One bled very heavily for 300 yards to the point it was stopping every six feet and putting 1/2 cup of blood on each side. But he made it another 100 without further bleeding. All of those were hit with large 4 blade mech heads and double lunged but for one.

I shot one fawn through the bottom inch of both scapulae which turned both lungs into red soup but for a fist size chunk and shredded the top 2/3 of the heart. That damn deer bled for 3 jumps and then not another drop. That deer should by all rights have been DRT, but it departed like i never touched it.

I have had 3 DRT deer with an arrow. I will be damned if I could say why they didn't run, but the they went nowhere. Kind of like the deer just figured I been shot and now I am going to be dinner, and then laid down dead

I guess having seen so many die with such widely varied results after the shot is why I don't have even the slightest bias toward any caliber, mech or fixed heads, bow or rifle.

I will say though that I am just about certain that all of the deer I have killed with an arrow I would have clipped the brain stem had I been using a rifle. Roughly 1/3 of the deer I have killed with a rifle were either head shots or brain stem shots. All but one of them were very close, archery range or closer.

I'd switch broadheads.

I am listening. Like i said above, I do not have the slightest allegiance to caliber, mech or fixed heads,bow or rifle.

I used to have issues with blood trails from a wide array of broadheads, they left blood trails some better than others and some downright miserable.
That is until my friends started using rage broadheads.
They were using the standard ones and me being me wanted to be slightly different went with the Rage Hypodermics.
All I can say is wow! The commercials are right..it’s a red carpet of blood.
I’m sold on em.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (1minute, 007FJ, 1936M71, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 54 invisible), 2,548 guests, and 1,364 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,558
Posts18,473,095
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.