Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Originally Posted by efw
Pretty good. I'd give it 4 out of 5. If you're looking for non-stop action, this ain't your thing. The shootout is anti-climatic. It's more of a character study/history type thing without being anything like a documentary. It's not Hatfields and McCoys. The thing that jumped out at me was how subdued and gentlemanly Hamer and his sidekick were. Probably pretty realistic.

Yep we watched it as a family last night same thing stood out to me.

His trip to the gun store was like a dream to me literally.

That BAR...
I think it was on DeFlave's thread about this show coming out...I argued that there wouldn't be many gunstores with those type guns around. I get your dream, but as far as the movie was concerned, I think it was highly unrealistic and may have been an anti-gun thing. They did talk about how Bonnie and Clyde got their own military guns from an arsenal. I expect that Hamer got his the same way.

Who knows what a gun store in Texas in that time period had in inventory.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Were feral hogs a problem in TX at that time? Some of those guns might have been useful.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Feral hogs have been prominent in Texas for many many years but the numbers used to be managed by folks hunting and trapping them to feed their families. While many still eat them it's more of a depredation thing these days and as such there numbers have exploded.

A true friend is someone who reaches for your
hand but touches your heart !!!
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by efw
Pretty good. I'd give it 4 out of 5. If you're looking for non-stop action, this ain't your thing. The shootout is anti-climatic. It's more of a character study/history type thing without being anything like a documentary. It's not Hatfields and McCoys. The thing that jumped out at me was how subdued and gentlemanly Hamer and his sidekick were. Probably pretty realistic.

Yep we watched it as a family last night same thing stood out to me.

His trip to the gun store was like a dream to me literally.

That BAR...
I think it was on DeFlave's thread about this show coming out...I argued that there wouldn't be many gunstores with those type guns around. I get your dream, but as far as the movie was concerned, I think it was highly unrealistic and may have been an anti-gun thing. They did talk about how Bonnie and Clyde got their own military guns from an arsenal. I expect that Hamer got his the same way.

Who knows what a gun store in Texas in that time period had in inventory.
Kaywoodie

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RiverRider

Completely, TOTALLY off topic...but I gotta ask about your avatar. I'm thinking that's a famous golfer and that I should be able to remember the name, but damned if I can and it's driving me nuts. Help me out!
It's a pic of myself. I don't know if I'm famous for golfing.

I guess my mind is just screwing with me. Way too much data on the old hard drive...and I think I may have a bad sector or some missing .dll files. Maybe a defrag with some Jose Cuervo will fix me up.
crazy

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I enjoyed the movie. It wasn't an action movie like you'd think. It was two old retired guys getting together for one final ride. I expect it was about as accurate a portrayal of an actual event as one would ever see.

I particularly liked the radio news casts. Nothing but facts. I wash we could still get that today.

The great depression was a rough time for many.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna

Completely, TOTALLY off topic...but I gotta ask about your avatar. I'm thinking that's a famous golfer and that I should be able to remember the name, but damned if I can and it's driving me nuts. Help me out!
It's a pic of myself. I don't know if I'm famous for golfing.

I guess my mind is just screwing with me. Way too much data on the old hard drive...and I think I may have a bad sector or some missing .dll files. Maybe a defrag with some Jose Cuervo will fix me up.
crazy
No problem. I used to get mistaken for famous actors all the time. It's a first to get mistaken for a golfer, so that's pretty good.

I'm more likely to get mistaken for the guy playing Hamer's boss now...

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Ethan:

About the Hamer family the local paper here had a couple stories on it and how the writer and director had met several times with Frank Hamer jr and got his blessing in the script.

As to a small town gunstore having all that, if I remember right Hamer mail ordered some and borrowed some more from a national guard armory. There’s an article somewhere in the net (Jim Wilson’s) site maybe about him actually ran penetration tests before starting out and carried a .38 super rather than his saa old lucky and going to a larger caliber rifle as they did a better job of penetrating a ford door

Last edited by Kellywk; 03/30/19.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Kellywk
Ethan:

About the Hamer family the local paper here had a couple stories on it and how the writer and director had met several times with Frank Hamer jr and got his blessing in the script.

As to a small town gunstore having all that, if I remember right Hamer mail ordered some and borrowed some more from a national guard armory. There’s an article somewhere in the net (Jim Wilson’s) site maybe about him actually ran penetration tests before starting out and carried a .38 super rather than his saa old lucky and going to a larger caliber rifle as they did a better job of penetrating a ford door

That's pretty cool. If I'm ever in San Antonio again, I'm gonna look up where Col. Askins' "compound" was. Off-topic, but still...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wonder in real life if anyone disrespected Capt'n Hamer like was portrayed in this movie. A celebrated Texas Ranger of his reputation doesn't seem like someone that would get disrespected or tolerate it either.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What I liked about the movie is that it showed Bonnie and Clyde for who they were, cold blooded killers. I was thinking what would be the reaction today if law enforcement took someone out the way they did it? But with the number of law enforcement officers that were killed by Bonnie and Clyde that was the best way to take them out.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Y’all talking about the original or a new version?
Original? This is a new Netflix movie with Keven Costner and Woody Harrelson. It's about Frank Hamer's pursuit of Bonnie and Clyde. It all focuses on Law Enforcement and nothing on Bonnie and Clyde. They're just faceless killers that need to be put down like mad dogs according to the government. It does show how they are heroes to the people. I wonder if Hamer's family was okay with his portrayal. In the movie, Hamer is not portrayed as a cold blooded killer, but lots of people seem to view him that way in it.

I started a thread about that:
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...1887/re-more-the-highwaymen#Post13641887

The article I referenced is about a year old, but it was new to me. It was a bit long, but I thought a worthwhile read.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Scotty
What I liked about the movie is that it showed Bonnie and Clyde for who they were, cold blooded killers. I was thinking what would be the reaction today if law enforcement took someone out the way they did it? But with the number of law enforcement officers that were killed by Bonnie and Clyde that was the best way to take them out.

Still amazing how many people of the day turned out for the little rat mugs funerals.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Ethan:

That's pretty cool. If I'm ever in San Antonio again, I'm gonna look up where Col. Askins' "compound" was. Off-topic, but still...

Askins compound was about a mile up the road from my Inlaws house. Drove by it a couple times to check it out. They subdivided the land so it’s a big White House surrounded by a subdivision. Believe some geanealogical society owns it now. It’s off blanco road about 1 mile outside the 410 loop near the airport

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Ethan:

Askins compound was about a mile up the road from my Inlaws house. Drove by it a couple times to check it out. They subdivided the land so it’s a big White House surrounded by a subdivision. Believe some geanealogical society owns it now. It’s off blanco road about 1 mile outside the 410 loop near the airport
Thanks for the info!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Watched it last night. Thought it was quite good.

Costner and Harrelson played, well, Costner and Harrelson. Good casting.
Was a neat look back at America in many ways.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Good flick. Just watched it. Ed k

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Original? This is a new Netflix movie with Keven Costner and Woody Harrelson. It's about Frank Hamer's pursuit of Bonnie and Clyde. It all focuses on Law Enforcement and nothing on Bonnie and Clyde. They're just faceless killers that need to be put down like mad dogs according to the government. It does show how they are heroes to the people. I wonder if Hamer's family was okay with his portrayal. In the movie, Hamer is not portrayed as a cold blooded killer, but lots of people seem to view him that way in it.

Thanks EE. I’ll have to check it out!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by gregintenn
I enjoyed the movie. It wasn't an action movie like you'd think. It was two old retired guys getting together for one final ride. I expect it was about as accurate a portrayal of an actual event as one would ever see.

I particularly liked the radio news casts. Nothing but facts. I wash we could still get that today.

The great depression was a rough time for many.

I really enjoyed it... less Hollywood that many 'action' movies of today...

as far as the Depression being a rough time...

I recall my Granddad saying that in his county in Southern West Virginia, the only reason they even heard there was a depression going on, was from a few news papers that filtered into the local area... and what they heard on the few people that owned a radio, and lived high enough on a mountain top to get any reception....

He'd tell us when we were kids, during the depression in the local economy ( If they really even had one).... that pretty much every body had NO MORE or No Less than they did, before the "depression" or after the Depression...

communication wise, World War 2, probably did more to bring Monroe County WVa into , or at least closer to the real world....

people had a roof over their heads and most folks, grew their own food, and it fed the family, but little else...

My grandmother's family was a little better off than most, but she wore shoes to school only two times from the first to the last day.... first time was the first day of first grade, and she was ridiculed by all the other kids, because their family couldn't afford shoes for their kids... the second time was when she graduated high school, because it was requested by her dad....

we might call it poverty today... but no one had any more or less than about everybody else... and those in need, were usually helped out by others at their local mountain church....or friends, neighbors and relatives...
as my grand parents said.. "We didn't know we were poor.... because so was everybody else"

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

https://deadline.com/2018/02/john-f...paul-newman-john-lee-hancock-1202286500/

Last edited by AB2506; 03/31/19.
Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

64 members (338reddog, 10gaugemag, anothergun, 9 invisible), 871 guests, and 888 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,091
Posts18,522,118
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.