Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
My grandparents had land and a farm. They had just sold their crops and put the money in the bank($300). Day or so later the banks closed , they lost the money and couldn't pay the morgage, lost their land. For the next fifteen years they were sharecroppers. They hated banks for the rest of their lives.

GB1

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Book, Texas Ranger. All about Frank. Been quite a while since I read it and don't remember a lot. Movie was probably based on the book?

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Saw an M-1 carbine in the mix at the end. I don't think they were produced in 1934.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by EIB0879
Saw an M-1 carbine in the mix at the end. I don't think they were produced in 1934.

Go Back and look ok again. Bet is was a 1907 Win. Self loading rifle.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
It was pretty good. They overplayed the “old man” thing. Hamer was just a month or two past 50 when they got Bonnie and Clyde. He wasn’t really retired either. He and bunch of others had quit the Rangers fairly recently in protest of Ma Ferguson.

Go to the dead cops in Grapevine scene. Look at those metal fence posts and how tight that fence was. I’m pretty sure those posts would have been locust or bois d’arc in 1933 and that fence wouldn’t been that tight. And of course, there was the standard movie trope where Bonnie racked the action on a Remington Model 11.

Last edited by JoeBob; 03/31/19.
IC B2

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by JoeBob
It was pretty good. They overplayed the “old man” thing. Hamer was just a month or two past 50 when they got Bonnie and Clyde. He wasn’t really retired either. He and bunch of others had quit the Rangers fairly recently in protest of Ma Ferguson.

Go to the dead cops in Grapevine scene. Look at those metal fence posts and how tight that fence was. I’m pretty sure those posts would have been locust or bois d’arc in 1933 and that fence wouldn’t been that tight. And of course, there was the standard movie trope where Bonnie racked the action on a Remington Model 11.

If you were in your 50's in the 1930's you were an old man.

A true friend is someone who reaches for your
hand but touches your heart !!!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Any place you can see it besides Netflix???

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Originally Posted by Kellywk
Ethan:

About the Hamer family the local paper here had a couple stories on it and how the writer and director had met several times with Frank Hamer jr and got his blessing in the script.

As to a small town gunstore having all that, if I remember right Hamer mail ordered some and borrowed some more from a national guard armory. There’s an article somewhere in the net (Jim Wilson’s) site maybe about him actually ran penetration tests before starting out and carried a .38 super rather than his saa old lucky and going to a larger caliber rifle as they did a better job of penetrating a ford door

That's pretty cool. If I'm ever in San Antonio again, I'm gonna look up where Col. Askins' "compound" was. Off-topic, but still...

Col Askins house is now HQ for the San Antonio Geneological and Historical Society. Before they got it, it was briefly used as a church.

The Colonel's son, Bill, lives in San Antonio, sells real estate and airplanes. He has an impressive estate in the North SA area and didn't need his Dad's house. It was too much house for his sister, so they sold it.

The Col. bought it, didn't build it. Back then is was in a relatively rural area, they rode ther horses around the neighborhood. It's no longer rural...

https://txsaghs.org/about.php

DF

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 03/31/19.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Elkhunter49

If you were in your 50's in the 1930's you were an old man.

Except that he was in his 40s for most of the time covered in the movie.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Any place you can see it besides Netflix???

there is one place in Arizona showing it in a theater. "limited release"

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The story Gault told about killing 54 Mexican Bandits in one night near Candelaria seems entirely made up. I’m surprised that Hamer’s Son didn’t object to it being in the script. The “ Manos Arribas “ ( hands up ) command being given AFTER shooting the bad guys is part of Ranger lore and has been attributed to different events.

It is still a well done movie in my opinion.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

I'll take your word for it.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by curdog4570
The story Gault told about killing 54 Mexican Bandits in one night near Candelaria seems entirely made up. I’m surprised that Hamer’s Son didn’t object to it being in the script. The “ Manos Arribas “ ( hands up ) command being given AFTER shooting the bad guys is part of Ranger lore and has been attributed to different events.

Nope it’s true. It was part of “The Plan of San Diego” which was sort of a Mexican rebel/bandito insurgency to take back the Southwest during WW I. The town and the fight were actually in Mexico.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

Yep and Frank had a Remington Model 8

This shows a lot of the guns.

IMFDB Movie Gun Data Base

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I enjoyed the movie and take it for what it is, entertainment. I have read quite a bit about Texas and the struggles it went through to become a state. There was no end to the riff raff, bandits, thieves, murders, racial injustice, lynching's, raiding and killing Comanche hostiles and corrupt politicians. Often, the only way one survived it all was by shooting their way to safety.

I don't doubt for a second that some Texas Rangers in those days, bent, broke and ignored the law and that some were corrupt. For sure, by todays standards many would of went to jail for their actions. I also believe that for several reasons Texas was unique in many ways, as it was often fighting against Mexican bandits, Comanche Indians, who were terrifying to go up against in battle and feared by other Indians and the endless stream of desperados coming in from the states thinking they could hide out in Texas and continue their evil ways.

There is a book about Frank Hammer written by John Bossenecker that gives a much bigger picture of who the man was and what he did in his career as a Texas Ranger. He started off with the Rangers when they wore cowboy hats and rode horses and served through the transition years from horse back to automobiles and suits and ties and had very little support when confronted with dangerous situations. Unfortunately, we may never see a movie portraying what he went through in real life. He was involved in so much more then Bonnie and Clyde and I personally don't blame him one bit for not always exposing him self and others to further risk by saying, "hands up", or what ever when the response was going to be incoming fire.

One thing is for sure, he was not the least bit shy about confronting rough men with a slap along side of the head or pressing a trigger. His sweet little wife was also not afraid to drop the trigger on her little pistol and shot her first husband and shot at bad guys trying to shoot Frank. They were a good match for each other. I believe he was in over 50 gunfights and wounded many times. Was he a man killer, absolutely and good at it. Did all of them need killing, I doubt any of us will ever know as we were not there and the truth fades with time and the blood long ago disappeared into the Texas dirt.

Of this I am sure, had I been a Texas Ranger at the same time he was I would of wanted him as my partner. He was one to "Ride the River" with!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Nope it’s true. It was part of “The Plan of San Diego” which was sort of a Mexican rebel/bandito insurgency to take back the Southwest during WW I. The town and the fight were actually in Mexico.

I thought that was a USA Cavalry engagement. Was Hamer involved ?

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
In the Boessenecker book, I think the number killed in the described incident was six, not fifty-four. This is from memory as I haven't read the book in several years.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Godogs57

I’ve seen the actual car they were killed in and was able to look inside it. It was said both of them were hit over 50 times each. I believe it.

Saw the car when I was a kid. They had it at the County Fair and you payed $.50 cents to look at it. I’d just seen the movie with Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway, and I was impressed!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C

I can't say that Hamer never shot up 54 sleeping Banditos near Candelaria but the story in the movie did ring a bell - especially the "manos arriba" part.

I read this biography of Hamer a couple years ago: https://www.tbr.txstate.edu/archives/fall-2016/texas-ranger.html

Go to the web site and you'll see a description of an entirely different story with Hamer saying "manos arriba". The Mexicans were bootleggers and they were fully awake. And it was 6 dead - not 54.

All things are always on the move simultaneously. - W.S. Churchill
Page 4 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

56 members (6mmbrfan, 338reddog, 10gaugemag, 9 invisible), 894 guests, and 846 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,091
Posts18,522,119
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.