Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by JoeBob
Most of the historians don’t think that Bonnie was as actively involved in the actual killing as she was portrayed in the movie. For instance Methvin said that he was the one who opened up first on the cops in Grapevine and that it was because he misunderstood Clyde’s intentions when Clyde told him to take them hostage. He said that Bonnie only went out to them to see if she could help them, not to finish them off. And the eyewitness changed his story about what he saw about 27 times, so most historians don’t believe the account shown in the movie.

I don't think Frank Hamer would much give a flying fugk.

The movie is based on his assessments based on decades of manhunts.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by Elkhunter49
It was pretty good. They overplayed the “old man” thing. Hamer was just a month or two past 50 when they got Bonnie and Clyde. He wasn’t really retired either. He and bunch of others had quit the Rangers fairly recently in protest of Ma Ferguson.

Go to the dead cops in Grapevine scene. Look at those metal fence posts and how tight that fence was. I’m pretty sure those posts would have been locust or bois d’arc in 1933 and that fence wouldn’t been that tight. And of course, there was the standard movie trope where Bonnie racked the action on a Remington Model 11.

If you were in your 50's in the 1930's you were an old man.

Puzzled by this quote. Life expectancy was shorter back then but that was accidents and disease plus unsophisticated medical care, folks didn’t actually age any faster than we do now. This was even true in Colonial days when the life expectancy was only 35.

I did not see any "old man" angle played up in the film.

It simply noted that Hamer was past his prime for that sort of work but used his wit and experience to overcome any age issue.

In the context of what he took on, 50 is old. Especially in 1934. And consider the miles on a person's body then versus today. There were no crossfit gyms or paleo diets.

These were men.

Meh...it’s a good movie, but Maney Gault was only 48 and was not a down and out drunk. He was actively employed with the Highway Patrol in 1934.

In some ways 50 back the was even younger than it is now. People weren’t counting down the days until they could draw Social Security. They worked. And they worked until they died because they didn’t have a choice. And yeah, a lot of them did die in their late 50s and 60s when one of these heart ailments or infections that people still get but mostly recover from today would kill them, but they worked.

Hamer like it so much that he pissed off J. Edgar Hoover by offering to catch John Dillinger.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Going to have to see it tonight when I get home.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Mom was raised in the Texas Cotton patch of the 30’s. Her dad was a sharecropper. They had no love for these two white trash thieves (B&C). As far as they were concerned they were just murderin’ little punks. . The bank
never came and took anything from them as they had nothing to take.

I do remember my granddad talking about having to participate in shooting cattle to get the price of beef up. One of FDR’s brilliant schemes. They weren’t his cows. He just got conscripted to participate. He didn't even own a gun! Too damn poor to buy one. Someone loaned him one. Said it was the most terrible thing he ever had to do.
My Mom was raised in east Texas. Born in 1923. They burned out and moved to Dallas about the time the war broke out. Dad was born and raised right here in south Kansas about thirty miles from Missouri, but it was dusty enough around here to have to put quilts, rags and such around the doors and windows to keep the dust out.

Grandpa was tough enough to stay here and not migrate to California. I guess that was good...They ate jackrabbits.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Another historical fact!!!!

Hamer was the only ever Oxford educated ranger!!!!

Truth! Look it up!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My wife and I watched the movie last night, and we enjoyed it. While I was on a road trip down south a couple of years ago, I visited the ambush site. Here are some pictures.

First, I made a stop at the Bonnie and Clyde Ambush Museum in Gibsland, Louisiana. It was a mixture of historical artifacts and hoke. It claims to be located on the site of Rosa's Cafe, where the duo dined for the last time. It had a couple of supposedly authentic shootout guns and then some others "just like the ones really used." They had shot up a different car as a simulated death car. They had some VHS tapes of History Channel type historical footage, some movie posters and some period artifacts. It was a hoot.
[Linked Image]

Here is the original marker at the ambush site:
[Linked Image]

Here is the newer model:
[Linked Image]

The ambush site:
[Linked Image]

Looking south on Highway 154 (toward Sailes):
[Linked Image]

Looking north on Highway 154 (toward Gibsland):
[Linked Image]

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna

Most of the historians don’t think that Bonnie was as actively involved in the actual killing as she was portrayed in the movie. For instance Methvin said that he was the one who opened up first on the cops in Grapevine and that it was because he misunderstood Clyde’s intentions when Clyde told him to take them hostage. He said that Bonnie only went out to them to see if she could help them, not to finish them off. And the eyewitness changed his story about what he saw about 27 times, so most historians don’t believe the account shown in the movie.

If Bonnie wasn't a participant in the killings then she was the poster child for being in the wrong place at the wrong time. lol Unlike all the stand up shootouts where they give the bad guy all the opportunity to kill them in all those old west movies, the real guys were just going to ambush them and kill them and then go home to their wives' chicken dinner while B&C were barking in hell. Same with the unlucky Frito Banditos, whether they were 6 or sixty in number.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
My wife and I watched the movie last night, and we enjoyed it. While I was on a road trip down south a couple of years ago, I visited the ambush site. Here are some pictures.

First, I made a stop at the Bonnie and Clyde Ambush Museum in Gibsland, Louisiana. It was a mixture of historical artifacts and hoke. It claims to be located on the site of Rosa's Cafe, where the duo dined for the last time. It had a couple of supposedly authentic shootout guns and then some others "just like the ones really used." They had shot up a different car as a simulated death car. They had some VHS tapes of History Channel type historical footage, some movie posters and some period artifiacts. It was a hoot.
[Linked Image]

Here is the original marker at the ambush site:
[Linked Image]

Here is the newer model:
[Linked Image]

The ambush site:
[Linked Image]

Looking south on Highway 154 (toward Sailes):
[Linked Image]

Looking north on Highway 154 (toward Gibsland):
[Linked Image]

Looks about like any other spot in the road in northwest Louisiana or east Texas.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The Barrow gang weren’t thrill killers. Plenty of instances where they let people, even cops, go. They just didn’t hesitate to kill someone, anyone, if they felt they had to.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I loaned my Son the book a long time ago. He called Saturday to say be watched the movie. I forgot about it. He did say he enjoyed the movie.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

Looks about like any other spot in the road in northwest Louisiana or east Texas.

Truth! The weird thing about my tour in 2017 is that things still look just as bad in the rural areas as depicted during the depression, but without the shanty towns. There were abandoned houses everywhere. I went and visited where I learned to deer hunt in Huey Long's old stomping grounds in Winn Parish, and I couldn't believe it. I guess the decline in the logging industry hit that area hard. It was like being in a time warp!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

thank you for sharing your thoughts, brother.

Please remember the feelings of the other brothers.

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Truth! Look it up!

Oxford, Miss?

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Sycamore

Truth! Look it up!

Oxford, Miss?

Texas

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

Truth! The weird thing about my tour in 2017 is that things still look just as bad in the rural areas as depicted during the depression, but without the shanty towns. There were abandoned houses everywhere. I went and visited where I learned to deer hunt in Huey Long's old stomping grounds in Winn Parish, and I couldn't believe it. I guess the decline in the logging industry hit that area hard. It was like being in a time warp!

Ain’t no decline in the logging industry down here. Just in the grand scheme of things, it doesn’t support that many people. For the most part, the logging industry didn’t get going good until most of the people cleared out. Damned near every one of those thousands of acres of pine woods were at one time covered in corn and cotton. But the boll weevil and soil depletion got the cotton and the Depression finished off those small farms.

In the county where I grew up in, it was the 2010 census before there were as many people as there were in the 1890 census. And even then, most of those were concentrated in one town instead of being spread out all over the county like they were in 1890.

I hear people talk about habitat depletion and urban enroachment all the time. That ain’t true in most of the rural south. Lots of those counties have more “wild” areas than at any time since white settlement began.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by Elkhunter49
It was pretty good. They overplayed the “old man” thing. Hamer was just a month or two past 50 when they got Bonnie and Clyde. He wasn’t really retired either. He and bunch of others had quit the Rangers fairly recently in protest of Ma Ferguson.

Go to the dead cops in Grapevine scene. Look at those metal fence posts and how tight that fence was. I’m pretty sure those posts would have been locust or bois d’arc in 1933 and that fence wouldn’t been that tight. And of course, there was the standard movie trope where Bonnie racked the action on a Remington Model 11.

If you were in your 50's in the 1930's you were an old man.

Puzzled by this quote. Life expectancy was shorter back then but that was accidents and disease plus unsophisticated medical care, folks didn’t actually age any faster than we do now. This was even true in Colonial days when the life expectancy was only 35.

I did not see any "old man" angle played up in the film.

It simply noted that Hamer was past his prime for that sort of work but used his wit and experience to overcome any age issue.

In the context of what he took on, 50 is old. Especially in 1934. And consider the miles on a person's body then versus today. There were no crossfit gyms or paleo diets.

These were men.

Deflave made my point. Men worked very hard back then and most guys were pretty rough looking for their age. Not an abundance of metro sexuals back then.

A true friend is someone who reaches for your
hand but touches your heart !!!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Fat wasn't an issue during the depression. You either worked it off or starved it off...or both.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The movie also committed one of those Hollywood sins that damned near everything in Hollywood set in Louisiana does. The sheriff had a cajun accent. He was 200 miles north of any real Cajuns.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Fat wasn't an issue during the depression. You either worked it off or starved it off...or both.

Even if you're skinny, 106 days in a 1934 Ford chasing bad guys when you're 50 years old is gonna be less than a blast.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Ain’t no decline in the logging industry down here.

OK, thanks. I was just going by something my friend in Choudrant, LA told me.

Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

80 members (35, 6mmCreedmoor, 21, 808outdoors, 1Longbow, 8 invisible), 14,442 guests, and 1,062 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,108
Posts18,541,926
Members74,057
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.