Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 14 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 13 14
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Yeah, I know that now!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have several rifles I am comfortable carrying in Grizzly country. We have a LOT of grizzlies around the places I hunt commonly.

The first thing I address is the question "am I hunting" or am I in "grizzly-land" for another purpose, such as hiking, fishing, trapping, or coming with another hunter as a camp-friend and helper.

If I am hunting I will often choose a rifle with a scope. Not always, but most times, because my eyes are as old as the rest of me, and I can't see very well in dim light so iron sights are not as good for me as they once were.

The scoped guns that I feel fine with are my 30-06 scout, my 300 H&H, my 8X57, three of my four 9.3MMs (9.3X57, 9.3X62 and 9.3X74R) my 375H&H, (which is the one I have used the most over the last 42 years) or my 404 Jeffery. When I am hunting in the areas where there are a lot of grizzlies, the 375 has been my "standard" for a long time and that's pretty much how I still see it, but the 9.3X62 is just as good for the purpose.

Rifles I often carry if I am not hunting are my M-1 Garand loaded with 220 grain bullets, (the M1 is usually my 1st choice) my M95 Lever action in 30-06 loaded with the same ammo, my 9.3X57 Husqvarna loaded with 286 grain Partitions, or my Ruger SR762 with the scope removed, and loaded with 180 grain Partitions. I might start carrying my 9.3X62 more, but for that purpose I'll use the detachable scope mount and simply use the iron sights.

The un-scoped rifles carry easier and are handier. I can't shoot them as well as I can the scoped rifles, but a bear is not dangerous until it's close to you, and at close range I still shoot them fast and very well. Contrary to what many believe, a low power scope is FASTER to make a shot with at any range, but the reason I use bear rifles with no scope is because of the handiness of the gun when it is not scoped. Just as when I was a Marine and later a Sheriff's deputy, the real issue is not having a weapon you can get into action 1 second faster, but it's about situational awareness, and the rifle should be "ready" because your mind is ready. As I said before, a bear is not dangerous at all until it's close. If you assume you are being hunted and you are wrong you loose nothing. If you assume you are safe and you are wrong...........well we know how that works out don't we? This year we has several example of that.

So bear rifles are used in 2 cases. #1 Those where the bear is a fellow hunter and #2 those that the bear is the only hunter.

For the purpose of this thread I assume we are speaking of only the 1st "mission statement. Living close to them as I do, I find that about 3/4 of the time I am not hunting when I am out in the field with them. So my choices are somewhat different at those times then what I might recommend to hunters who do not "live with them."

A hunters "bear rifle" is no different then any other hunting rifle but for the fact it must be powerful and shoot a bullet that will not break up on heavy muscle and bone. Bolt actions are the most common, but good lever actions and autos are also very good for the purpose. A Remington pump in 30-06, or better yet a 35 Whelen would be fine too. (keep the bolt face and extractor clean with these rifles.)

A defensive arm for big bears shares many of the same qualities as a hunting rifle but need not be a long range tool. If you shoot at 75 yards and farther you are not in a defensive role. A 12 gauge loaded with good slugs is ok for the purpose of defense..

I lean towards the M1 because it's a very proven fighting weapon. With the right ammo, shooting at the front of a bear (as you would be, if you NEEDED to shoot one) the 30-06 is just fine. 8 of them is even better, and the M1 kicks little enough that rapid accurate fire at close range is easy.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
i have a few bear rifles but if i went after bears in Alaska the only 3 cartridges i would consider to use is 30-06 ,338 win.mag or a 375 H&H my reason ease of finding more ammo ,my favorite would be a 338 Win. mag., the only bolt actions i would consider is either a Winchester or a Ruger with a claw , the only scope i now would consider is a smaller Nightforce or a 6x leupold with Picatinny mounts or Ruger rings and the 22 inch barrel of the rifle would have good sights on it too just in case. i would want all S.S. metal and either plastic or wood laminated stock. i already own a 338 Win. mag Ruger S.S. laminated i got cheap as a FFL dealer so a would just take this rifle to Alaska .

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I had Hill Country Rifles make this for me as a bear and moose rifle. It's a 700 Classic with 21" stainless Benchmark barrel, chambered in 35 Whelen. McMillan Remington Sporter stock, PTG stainless steel bottom metal, and a S&B Zenith 1.1-4x24 with FD9 reticle.

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I 'd want mine to be built on a commercial 98 Mauser action (FN or Interarms), 21" or 22" barrel and chambered in 35 Whelen or 9.3X62. I'd scope it with something between 2.5-4X on a 1 piece mount. I'd want a set of iron sights with a gold bead front sight. Wood or synthetic stock. It wouldn't matter to me.

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by cwh2

The Whelen would be more than adequate and I like monos for bears. I use the the 210 TTSX in 338 and the 370 in the 375AI.

I shoot 270 x's in my 375.

It feels so gay to type 270 I subconsciously corrected it...

But thank you for coming out!

I quit using 270’s in my . 375.....I didn’t want to be “stereotyped”! grin memtb

Last edited by memtb; 04/04/19.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by memtb
Originally Posted by cwh2

The Whelen would be more than adequate and I like monos for bears. I use the the 210 TTSX in 338 and the 370 in the 375AI.

I shoot 270 x's in my 375.

It feels so gay to type 270 I subconsciously corrected it...

But thank you for coming out!

I quit using 270’s in my . 375.....I didn’t want to be “stereotyped”! grin memtb

Yup, the profiling scares me, but I cannot turn them down!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by whitebread
I had Hill Country Rifles make this for me as a bear and moose rifle. It's a 700 Classic with 21" stainless Benchmark barrel, chambered in 35 Whelen. McMillan Remington Sporter stock, PTG stainless steel bottom metal, and a S&B Zenith 1.1-4x24 with FD9 reticle.

[Linked Image]

Had a fellow insist on using his bipod on a bear hunt up here... Things did not go at all well. They are absolutely the last piece of equipment I would put on a bear gun. Actually I would never use one. Not to mention stuff that will get hung up in tight cover.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
I don't know that I'll ever get the chance to hunt anything other than black bear. Regardless........I believe I would still carry my 7600 Whelen.

I would probably replace the wood stock first. smile

Last edited by NH K9; 04/04/19. Reason: Fat fingers

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

[Linked Image]

Had a fellow insist on using his bipod on a bear hunt up here... Things did not go at all well. They are absolutely the last piece of equipment I would put on a bear gun. Actually I would never use one. Not to mention stuff that will get hung up in tight cover.

I couldn’t agree more! Kudos! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
.416 Ruger

[Linked Image]

All the best things in life, live on the other side off fear.

The true eye sees not the despair of its victims, only the elegance of equilibrium. It's a demonstration of superior judgment.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Dean, glad you’re still with us....Not a situation I ever want to find myself in...😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

[Linked Image]

The bipod was just to hold it for the picture. I don’t hunt with it.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
ya

This.

[Linked Image]

Stiller, Manners, Brux, Nightforce, 300 grain Berger’s and a bear to shoot.

💋beavers is fun.

Last edited by fredIII; 04/04/19.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
That’s a big beaver...😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

[Linked Image]

The bipod was just to hold it for the picture. I don’t hunt with it.

Well.... there is the other stuff...
wink

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by fredIII
ya

This.

[Linked Image]

💋beavers is fun.

There is just so much wrong with that image it is impossible to know where to sokak

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by jwall
Dean

Glad it was her NOT you.

Jerry

Thanks Jerry

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Dean, glad you’re still with us....Not a situation I ever want to find myself in...😎

Thanks Beaver10

When I think about this and remember the events, I'm still just amazed how fast it all happened. I can still hear her popping her teeth and see her ears laid flat on her head! This is why I thought a Browning BAR Lightweight Stalker in 338 Win Mag would be a great choice.

NRA life member

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by fredIII
ya

This.

[Linked Image]

💋beavers is fun.

There is just so much wrong with that image it is impossible to know where to sokak

The biggest thing wrong is that YOU are not in the pic....... huh ?

You ASSUME the rifles to be loaded.......huh ?

You ASSUME the rifles are pointed AT the subjects (people)......huh ?
2 D pix don't reveal 'depth'.

I DOUBT that any of those things are true.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Page 9 of 14 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

657 members (01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 160user, 65 invisible), 2,246 guests, and 1,344 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,190
Posts18,523,946
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.