Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Been shooting more with the kids lately. Posted pics a couple days ago from the gopher fields.

Kids have been doing quite well with their Henry 22 lever guns. Boy has a youth model lever and daughter uses a standard.

I am quite happy with their marksmanship....for the most part. They get excited and will close their eyes or jerk the trigger once in a while.

However, I cant help but think that I should buy a 4 power or a 3x9 scope and mount it to one of the rifles.

I do want them to be handy with iron sights, but I reckon a low power scope would bring them a bunch more enjoyment.

What say you folks? Keep them going with the irons or treat them to a scope??

Thanks

I am MAGA.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Never had a scoped 22 as a kid, didn't seem to need it.
Then again old Remington 22's had good fine bead sights, not these square things that belong on a pistol sold nowadays

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
It's best to teach them both ways in my opinion.

If they are doing well with the open sights I wouldn't hesitate to introduce a scoped option.

Just make sure they continue to learn both ways.

-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
i always had open sights as a kid and cheap 22 rifles and never enough 22 ammo, i wanted my son to have a couple of decent 22LR`s and his favorite was a Marlin 39A and it still is for him and me yet today,we own 3 of them. my son wanted a scope on his Marlin 39A , i wanted him to learn open sights better so i purchased Williams peep sight set and yes that peep sight set was not cheap either. son was not happy that night when i put the peep sight set on that rifle, so i told him try it for a week ,the next day in the summer when i got home from work son said dad come watch me shoot this peep sight at 75 yards at a black bird in the tree . one shot at 75 yards and that bird was dead and that little boy was so happy with that peep sight he never ever mention a scope again ,i never had any problems with rodents with son guarding our garden and lawn with his Marlin 39A i did have trouble keeping 22 ammo on hand for him and i mis that little guy asking for more 22 ammo too. lucky for me my 6 year old grandson is next to get a Marlin 39A and these days i have plenty 22 LR ammo too.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Some things get better with age, but eyes aren't one of them. Just appreciate those young eyes for a while before you scope things for them. My pellet gun went from open sights to a peep to a scope and back to the peep again because it more closely matched the limited range of the pellet gun. It also nearly doubled the sighting radius from the barrel mounted open sight. A scope is going to add some weight as well and youngsters won't appreciate shooting at long range anyway. I still remember an unlucky red squirrel way up in the top of a big white pine that I gunned as a kid with my iron sighted Winchester M62A. Scopes later on made shooting almost too easy, but the rifles were heavier and harder to carry.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
IC B2

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
If they are gonna deer hunt later, etc. Have them working with a scope some. Have my seven year old shooting nice groups at 300 with my AR with a 4x. He's heck on a deer. I'm a fan of iron sights, especially when plinking but getting them started with a scope some now will lessen the learning curve down the road. Just put a fixed 4 on a 10/22, they are having a blast with it and shooting up all my ammo.

Last edited by killerv; 04/04/19.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by 700LH
Never had a scoped 22 as a kid, didn't seem to need it.
Then again old Remington 22's had good fine bead sights, not these square things that belong on a pistol sold nowadays

I think the old timers died young - before the eyes really got bad. It isn't a matter of not being able to see a fine bead very well. I can't see them at all! I shoot a square post and a peep, pretty good.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Let them get very proficient with the iron sights while they are young and can see well!
Scopes are very easy to learn how to use.
I remember the day I thought that 4X was capable of shooting way out there....

"The more I am around people the better I like my dog." Mark Twain
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've got an assortment of 22's, including a Henry lever. Some are scoped, some ain't and the grandkids get to learn iron sights first, including a Savage Rascal with that neat aperture rear sight. Then they can get familiar with the scoped stuff. Lots of kids today start out with scopes and never really learn irons. Being proficient with irons is something of an art form to some kids. To them it's like they've mastered some type of lost art from ancient times. Like what we dinosaurs used eons ago. This dinosaur gets a kick out of them marveling over it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
JC. I agree on the question of starting with irons. Later in life when a scope goes to Hell on a big outing, they may still be in business if packing irons. If ones gophers are the same as our ground squirrels, I'd suggest a scope in the 9 to 10X range. Squirrels can completely disappear behind a 4x crosshair at 70 to 80yds.Especially the youngsters. Parallax adjustment is a big help too More power makes it easier to try for head shots as opposed to just targeting an entire body.

Last edited by 1minute; 04/04/19.

1Minute
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Whatever happened to teaching kids to actually hunt? Ease through the woods, stalk close enough to use iron sights? We've become a nation of sniper wannabe's and it would seem we're teaching the kids the same attitude. Can't get close enough to whack that animal with iron sights? Wave bye bye to it with a smile- it teaches kids humility and the important lesson that it's not just about killing stuff.

Walk before you can run, learn to use hand tools before graduating to power tools, and learn to drive Dad's pickup truck before hopping behind the wheel of a tractor trailer- same difference as learning to shoot with iron sights first. Lay the groundwork first.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Whatever happened to teaching kids to actually hunt? Ease through the woods, stalk close enough to use iron sights? We've become a nation of sniper wannabe's and it would seem we're teaching the kids the same attitude. Can't get close enough to whack that animal with iron sights? Wave bye bye to it with a smile- it teaches kids humility and the important lesson that it's not just about killing stuff.

Walk before you can run, learn to use hand tools before graduating to power tools, and learn to drive Dad's pickup truck before hopping behind the wheel of a tractor trailer- same difference as learning to shoot with iron sights first. Lay the groundwork first.

I would say the days of foodplots and hunting over fields possibly. Legalizing baiting, etc. I get your point but don't talk like scopes are the devil....they are a tool just like anything else we take into the field. A good shot whether it be with irons or a scope is still success and meat in the freezer is still meat in the freezer. Who in the world thinks that using a scope means you are only about killing stuff? Crazy talk.

When my boys and I want to get close and personal with something, we turkey hunt. That will humble you quick on a lot of days.

Last edited by killerv; 04/05/19.
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by killerv

I would say the days of foodplots and hunting over fields possibly. Legalizing baiting, etc. I get your point but don't talk like scopes are the devil....they are a tool just like anything else we take into the field. A good shot whether it be with irons or a scope is still success and meat in the freezer is still meat in the freezer. Who in the world thinks that using a scope means you are only about killing stuff? Crazy talk.

When my boys and I want to get close and personal with something, we turkey hunt. That will humble you quick on a lot of days.

I never said using a scope means you are only about killing stuff. Re-read what I wrote. I was referring to passing up shots under circumstances do-able with a scope sighted gun but that couldn't be managed with open sights.

Most of my rifles are scoped. Most of those same guns have iron sights on them too (usually aperture sights). Which approach (sighting arrangement) I take on a given day is determined by how sporting I'm feeling, but the irons get chosen more often than not.

I get that more and more hunters in large sections of the country are resorting to food plots (baiting, let's be honest), and hunting from a single spot (stand) all day. Blame changes in land use and the land owners. I and my fellow sportsmen who hunt Pennsylvania (and even my Maryland) enjoy astonishingly large tracts of public land where the old traditional hunting methods can be employed. I'm not forced to hover over a tiny plot of ground wherein I gotta take the shot whether it's ideal or not. For that I thank the Pennsylvania Game Commission and the Maryland DNR for actually using all those Pittman-Robertson funds the way they were intended to be used- it saved a lot of land for in the public domain. Lots of elbow room, so to speak. If I had to sit and watch the same four acres of ground all day every day, with a rifle whose scope rivaled the Hubble telescope because I was afraid of missing my one and only chance all season, I would go absolutely batshit crazy.

Still in all, either way it doesn't mean one should skip an important stage in a newbie's marksmanship training.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

What say you folks? Keep them going with the irons or treat them to a scope??

Growing up I had an air rifle with open sights, a .22 with open sights, and a .22 with a fixed 4x Weaver. Looking back, my favorite was the air rifle (a Sheridan .20 cal). I never favored a scope more than iron sights, because I shot millions of pellets each summer with open sights. But, scopes have their place in the world.

I vote to put a scope on one of the rifles if they can share and use both types of sights. Otherwise, throw caution to the wind and scope them both! Enjoy!

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I really like iron sights. It's more enjoyable to shoot offhand with irons at "things" than it is to shoot paper with a scope off a bench.
My eyes just ain't that great though. I definitely shoot better with magnified optics.

Still remember beigh 5 or 6 and dad putting chalk on the chalk board showing me how to line up irons and put the "pumpkin on the post". Lol.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I started my kids on a scope first. 4x fixed on bolt guns not long after they wanted bigger scopes .I think now irons should have first

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Kids need to learn. Open leaf sights are a start and peeps or aperture sights a good follow up. If they become proficient with those things while their eyes are still young scopes will be a walk on the beach. Doesn't work all that well the other way around.

Longest shot I ever made with a .22 was over 100 yards and done with open leaf sights....when I was about 13. The black bird lost his head...

Last edited by DigitalDan; 04/06/19.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Something that we haven't mentioned is the length of pull on a lot of the .22's out there. A young kid can see irons or a peep sight from a long way back if they are mounting the rifle correctly, but not so with a scope. To get the full fov through a scope, you sure don't want a kid getting into the habit of holding the rifle butt under their arm pit. Dad didn't buy me a kid size .22 because I was only getting one at age 10 and it was a Winchester M62A with irons.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
Maybe throw in some quick detach rings so it'll be easy to switch between the 2 whenever you want.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Good thread, started my 9 year old on a savage bolt 22 this year. I asked my myself the same question regarding scoping and went with irons, am glad I did. As someone mentioned, the LOP becomes less critical and being an old fashioned rifleman, I believe shooting with irons is a good fundamental to be had.

I listen to the Hal Blood podcasts occasionally, those Mainers still use irons and manage to get their venison.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

640 members (1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 70 invisible), 2,052 guests, and 1,327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,900
Posts18,479,331
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.