Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by renegade50
Originally Posted by Kenneth
willing to bet you find so many heads in one area is because the success ratio to failure per head was terribly low, sitting there for hours chipping away, something goes wrong and you toss it.

I have found points with flaws and fugged up faults in the materials
In pristine perfect shape.
Almost like dude was proving to others he could do it to prove em wrong.
They were human
I imagine dudes showed schitt off too.
Good looking stuff. Difficult stuff.
Stuff appealing to the eye and envy stuff.
Sitting around a campfire busting on friends and family stuff.

Just like being proud showing off a gun to your friends nowadays.

The only point I have is one with a red tip the maker left on his point, its really cool.

GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Yeah notill farming sucks for the arrowhead hunter. My great uncle had maps of dozens of sites him and his buddy and my grandad had found back in the 50’s and 60’s. My dad and uncle got copies of them and went for a drive a couple years ago on a nice day. %95 of them were either notill or had been put in Bermuda grass for pasture. We are down to just a handful of spots that we can look and have good success. Even the creek we walk is being bought up and homes built up on the bluffs, probably get run off of there pretty soon.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by slumlord
First up

8 mins in

[Linked Image]

Great thread Slum Your 2nd pic shows a white arrowhead in frt of your foot 2-3" but in frt of it maybe 8" from your toe there looks like another bifacial edge sticking up in the dirt It is gray MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Originally Posted by slumlord
First up

8 mins in

[Linked Image]

Great thread Slum Your 2nd pic shows a white arrowhead in frt of your foot 2-3" but in frt of it maybe 8" from your toe there looks like another bifacial edge sticking up in the dirt It is gray MB

Don't tell him that! He'll never find that spot again! laugh

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Originally Posted by JamesJr
No tilling has pretty much messed up the arrowhead finding around here, as few fields are actually tilled anymore.....plowing and discing before being planted. I know a few places that are still worked up, but they are either off limits, or else are a waste of time. I don't know about other areas of the country, but around here there has to be a water source nearby in order to find anything. That would be a river, creek, or spring in my area. We have a lot of sinkholes here, with underground streams, and I assume that at some point in time, many moons ago, some of these must have had water year round, because there have been some good points found in those areas.

I can only recall finding one arrowhead in a place where there was no sign of any other flint or point making material, or no water. This was a every small arrowhead, and I figure the ole Injun must have shot that arrow at a critter.

Pretty much the same around here in my part of KY, too, with no-till cropland being at least 1/2 to 2/3 nowadays.

Some cousins of mine grew up on a small farm that had a little frontage on the Green River and they all had shoe boxes of complete and incomplete arrow heads mostly and a few broken parts and pieces.

Brother-in-law also grew up on a farm and had arrowheads he found in the fields there on and around his parents farm. Their place was on low, mostly all flat ground though and a good 8 or so miles from the nearest natural water source of any consequence. There was just a narrow creek (really more of a erosion ditch) that ran along the back border of their property but was barely a trickle if that most of the time except for runoff during heavier rains and melting snow. The thing about where their farm was located though regarding his arrowhead finds is looking on a topo map it appears like was it situated along a natural travel-way where wild game would likely pass through regularly.

Got to wonder too if some early Caucasian settlers/hunters/trappers/explorers may have also took up hunting with native American bows and arrowheads and also maybe even became reasonably proficient at making their own bows, stone arrowheads and such. Seems plausible, especially on small game, -- quiet, still works well in wet weather, conserves powder and lead.

IC B2

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by joken2

No tilling has pretty much messed up the arrowhead finding around here, as few fields are actually tilled anymore.....plowing and discing before being planted. I know a few places that are still worked up, but they are either off limits, or else are a waste of time. I don't know about other areas of the country, but around here there has to be a water source nearby in order to find anything. That would be a river, creek, or spring in my area. We have a lot of sinkholes here, with underground streams, and I assume that at some point in time, many moons ago, some of these must have had water year round, because there have been some good points found in those areas.

I can only recall finding one arrowhead in a place where there was no sign of any other flint or point making material, or no water. This was a every small arrowhead, and I figure the ole Injun must have shot that arrow at a critter.

Pretty much the same around here in my part of KY, too, with no-till cropland being at least 1/2 to 2/3 nowadays.

Some cousins of mine grew up on a small farm that had a little frontage on the Green River and they all had shoe boxes of complete and incomplete arrow heads mostly and a few broken parts and pieces.

Brother-in-law also grew up on a farm and had arrowheads he found in the fields there on and around his parents farm. Their place was on low, mostly all flat ground though and a good 8 or so miles from the nearest natural water source of any consequence. There was just a narrow creek (really more of a erosion ditch) that ran along the back border of their property but was barely a trickle if that most of the time except for runoff during heavier rains and melting snow. The thing about where their farm was located though regarding his arrowhead finds is looking on a topo map it appears like was it situated along a natural travel-way where wild game would likely pass through regularly.

Got to wonder too if some early Caucasian settlers/hunters/trappers/explorers may have also took up hunting with native American bows and arrowheads and also maybe even became reasonably proficient at making their own bows, stone arrowheads and such. Seems plausible, especially on small game, -- quiet, still works well in wet weather, conserves powder and lead.

I have thought some plantation owners might have been collectors back in the day also.
Tell their slaves bring em points they find busting ground
Owner give em extra food or other incentives

Jmo.

Last edited by renegade50; 03/18/19.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
There's a museum up near Copper Harbor Michigan which has a display of some flaked points and tools. One piece that caught my eye was a near perfect Maltese cross flaked out of a piece of red stone. It was fairly small. a nickel would have covered it. I can only assume that it was some sort of ornament that the man wore to show off his knapping skill.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Here's the only one I ever found, it was in a field near the James river here in Virginia. I guess it's quartz. Can anyone tell me anything about it? See pic:

[Linked Image]

Here is a petrified log that I found not too far from the same spot with a Howa Mini Grendel for scale, weighs around 100 lbs:

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

I read this book, "The Traveler", several years ago. I found it interesting especially in regards to stone arrowheads, knives and other such primitive tools made from material not natural to the area nor anywhere within hundreds of miles of where found and how they likely got there. Although the characters and story-line are fiction, the details are based on known and/or probable history.

https://www.fantasticfiction.com/c/don-coldsmith/traveler.htm

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by renegade50
Originally Posted by joken2

I have thought some plantation owners might have been collectors back in the day also.
Tell their slaves bring em points they find busting ground
Owner give em extra food or other incentives

Jmo.

There is a family near here that owns the most land in the area, and one of their farms is along a creek that is known for it's arrowheads. I have never seen this collection, only heard of it, but rumor has it that most of the stuff they have was found by people working for them.

Now, they don't back to slave days, I'm like you, in that I suspect a lot of this kind of thing took place.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Went a quick run up to the salt mines today to check the soil conditions.

How long???...not long!!

Actually disced and drilled this morning.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Only able to look for edges and shapes.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Renegade50 found a couple of brokes,

Busted up Lost Lake.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Supposed to get some strong T-storms Sunday.

Monday might be very good hunting.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Washed up rocks.
Both within 100 yds of each other.
Left one
Lost lake 6500 -7500 BC

Right one
falls alot into Hardin description per projectile point .net
5500 - 8000BC

And less so into Kirk corner notch
6500- 7500 BC

[Linked Image]

Last edited by renegade50; 04/05/19.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Damn, that is so cool. Nine thousand years old. I would love to get in the time machine and go spend a week hanging out with these Indians.
Of course, with my Swede Mauser slung over my shoulder, and the Smith and Wesson in my backpack.

Let's see, well after the Ice Age, all the mammoths and sabertooth tigers are gone. Would have been buffalo, deer, elk, wolves.
Love to spend a week with these guys and see what was going on.

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Slumlord, the lay of the land there looks flat to gently rolling so I'm wondering do you think those spearheads/arrowheads are from people hunting or warring?
Why are there so many laying around?

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Hunting.

I'm not into the whole notion of Indians acting out a john wayne movie.

Not saying it couldn't have happened on this site. This site has artifacts and point styles nthat span over a period of several thousands years. Different types of ancient humans came into, habitated and moved on, evolved, died out and other cultures moved in and did the same. This site was under occupation for about 4000 years based on point styles.

The main attraction is a cluster of a 9-10 surface springs. Large ones. They look like 6ft diameter bomb craters.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Got some rain over night,

Tried a different spot today, 30 or so miles from where we usually go.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Interesting, ya that makes sense.

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (1234, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 22kHornet, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 257 roberts, 63 invisible), 3,146 guests, and 1,033 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,590
Posts18,532,411
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.