Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I was reading an article and ran across these figures. The numbers in the middle column on the .22LR and 380 surprised me. I don't know who this guy is or anything about him.

Let’s take a look at some more numbers from Greg Ellifritz’s Stopping Power study based on statistics from 1800 shootings. He found that about 60% of the time someone was shot with a .22, they were incapacitated after a single hit to the head or torso. That’s on par with the numbers from some much bigger and more powerful calibers. But about one third of the time, someone hit with a 22 was not immediately incapacitated no matter how many times they were shot. That’s roughly twice as many failures as calibers of .380 and up.
[Linked Image]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Doesn't surprise me.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
People are either incapacitated with one shot or not, the percentage totals of columns 2+3 should equal 100.

Works that way most days unless one is promoting some 8-ball agenda.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
Doesn't surprise me.

Me either, most of the people that carry 22’s are midgets in carnivals and the people they shot were other midgets. Comparatively the 22 in a midget is the same as a 44 in a normal sized person...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I'm thinking that people's ability to shoot accurately with a low powered gun has more to do with this than the stopping power of the round, especially with the 22.

― George Orwell

IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
These are the three best books ever written on Handguns and Stoppjng Power. The first book is a book that you would want to own.

https://www.amazon.com/Handgun-Stopping-Power-Definitive-Study/dp/0873646533

In training to be an obedient master to my two labs

Shooting, fishing and hunting
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
You catch fish with what you are using for bait...

You carry or have a .22lr at hand, that's what you'll shoot someone with.

You carry a 45ACP, that's what you'll shoot someone with.

That chart could be read that the .22lr is a far more common firearm. wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Guy got popped in the head last week.
Think bullet angle had it slide along bone, not go in.
Not incapacitated. He hopped up and was b*tching.

Shooter added a few to kill him. Cops caught the bad guy.

Just giving location of hit doesn't say a lot about the hit IMHO.

K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
People are either incapacitated with one shot or not, the percentage totals of columns 2+3 should equal 100.

Yep

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I'm thinking that people's ability to shoot accurately with a low powered gun has more to do with this than the stopping power of the round, especially with the 22.

Hense the .38 special.....fully agree....

IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by deflave
Doesn't surprise me.

Me either, most of the people that carry 22’s are midgets in carnivals and the people they shot were other midgets. Comparatively the 22 in a midget is the same as a 44 in a normal sized person...

I think the appropriate term is munchkin or elf.

Not midget.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

The chart specifies "head or torso" shot for the middle column, but does not specify shot location in the third column. Third column figures are not as informative as middle column figures.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Lennie
These are the three best books ever written on Handguns and Stoppjng Power. The first book is a book that you would want to own.

https://www.amazon.com/Handgun-Stopping-Power-Definitive-Study/dp/0873646533

Agree. Evan Marshall's work is the zenith in handgun one-shot stopping statistics.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I'm thinking that because a 22 is accurate and easy to shoot, that makes the % of shootees that are incapacitated quite high. However, if you can't shoot, no amount of lead in the extremities will stop a bad guy.

― George Orwell

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I’m thinking the circumstances of the shootings ain’t mentioned. Lots and lots of .22s out there, how many of these shootings were accidental in a non-adversarial circumstance?

Also, how many involved rifles, the ballistics of a .22LR out of a 2” barrel are pretty dismal.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
I’m thinking the circumstances of the shootings ain’t mentioned. Lots and lots of .22s out there, how many of these shootings were accidental in a non-adversarial circumstance?

Also, how many involved rifles, the ballistics of a .22LR out of a 2” barrel are pretty dismal.

Buy Marshall's book and your questions will be answered.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

The article I was reading was about concealed guns. That said, if a bad guy is on the wrong end of my bolt action Marlin 22 rifle, most likely he's not going very far.

― George Orwell

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
"Handguns are convenient to carry but not particularly effective."

Clint Smith.

Big gun, big bullets, big holes.

Whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

You didn't read the source material. This table is a very short summary of a rather short article. It is covered adequately in the article. Zero 8ball agenda.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

You didnt read the source material either. In fact, his data indicates that people shot more accurately with a 44 magnum than with any other firearm, including long guns.

While I (to) find this incredible to believe, it is the data from 1800 shootings using the methodology he describes.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

219 members (257 mag, 2UP, 37L1, 7887mm08, 35, 22 invisible), 1,668 guests, and 899 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,505
Posts18,490,620
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.