-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Gotta wonder why all the pigs I've shot with CB shorts fall over dead with one shot. Oh wait, it's a rifle....sorry wrong thread. 🙄

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My wife's cousin's husband is a surgeon.
He says if someone get shot and comes into the emergency room, and the bullet penetrated the diaphragm, the patient will live if he is on duty and die if he is not.

I was not going to argue with him.
The guy does not own a gun, and sees a VZ24 bayonet lug and front sight on my workbench and asks me if that is a Mauser.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Gotta love the arrogance of a surgeon.

I want that kind of attitude on my side.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Who makes the most reliable, most concealable .22 semiauto?
better question would be who makes the most reliable 22 ammo now a days

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

Might have to get myself one of those for a "gym gun".

FYI, every fraction of an inch of extra barrel increases the velocity. That includes the extra 1/8" of the "standard" model with the half moon front sight. But, the ball detent that holds the cylinder pin in place on the standard model is not as robust as the system that holds it in place on the Pug and similar models. It makes a difference if you shoot it a lot.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
IC B2

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Retiredmech
Shrapnel, that midget comment was funny. I don't care who you are.
I thought the term was "little people".

That's the A&E term, for the rest of us it's "little fkr's"

Dave

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

Might have to get myself one of those for a "gym gun".

FYI, every fraction of an inch of extra barrel increases the velocity. That includes the extra 1/8" of the "standard" model with the half moon front sight. But, the ball detent that holds the cylinder pin in place on the standard model is not as robust as the system that holds it in place on the Pug and similar models. It makes a difference if you shoot it a lot.

Thanks Cheyenne,

I'll keep that in mind.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
If I were at sneezing distance, shooting most things behind the ear doesn't require much integrity or force.

Ass to fronting four legged stuff or taking out running gear requires a little more than a 22 lr; a needle in the brain isn't the same as a needle to a ham hock, so this whole "stopping power" argument requires a bit of common sense, if that exists anymore.

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
After reading the entire thread, I am certain I don't want to be shot, ever, even with a 22LR.

I read or heard recently, that many wounded by gunshots are not "stopped" by the shots, but the the thought of dying and simply quit what they are doing to get shot in the first place.

Dave

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Something to consider on the topic if I may. The OP presented data in context of head/torso incapacitation or not and I'm fairly convinced it is a simplistic view. Conventional wisdom says the head/torso are primary points of vulnerability, and I won't argue that for the most part. I suggest however the objective is to stop the altercation first and foremost, and I pose a question. What does it take to stop the party? Well, death will do it, but so will a lot of other things. One is absolute agony which may or may not lead to death of the perp. One example is a lower region gut shot, or perhaps a bit lower and to the side, and poking a hole in the femoral artery. How about a kneecap shot? Ball joint in the shoulder or the elbow joint? Any of those will turn the cards in your favor and it really doesn't matter what one is shooting. What matters is what you can do when that moment arrives. If you're face down in a gutter after getting jumped by some gang bangers and your field of vision is mostly filled with tennis shoes and ankles, what you gonna do Willis?

One of the things that many folks overlook in such discussions is what the actual scenario is and perhaps have a vision of an OK Corral contest. It can happen like that, but odds are probably not. Might be more likely you will be going to your car at night; opening the door to a stranger; be present during a holdup.....you never know until you're there and facing the devil.

Another suggestion? Carry a gun you're familiar with and more importantly, one you are competent with. What it is doesn't matter nearly so much as how it's used. Case in point was illustrated by a flight school buddy who go shot down in Nam, woke up face down in the dirt with his right hand holding the butt of his S&W issue .38 and three dinks laffin' and poking him in the ass with a bayonet. He rolled and killed them with three shots and they never got off the first round in response.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Try facing someone armed with a 9mm Glock and see how you do with your 22lr. They will take you down with 1 shot and you will only get one shot at them.

[Linked Image from ]
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
For those who want to use the .22, try to get your hands on Finn Aagards .22 tests a few years back...American Rifleman and Finn Aagard selected works. Cut to the chase...PMC Zappers doubled the penetration of anything else in wet phone books at 15 ft. As a further curiosity he used a .380 with 90 gr Black Hills in the same medium...penetration? 5.5 inches compared to 10 inches for the PMC's. Test gun was a MkII Ruger, bbl length unknown.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Regarding Reagan, IIRC the bullet was a ricochet that struck him under the arm. Pretty nasty.
P

You're right. I'd forgotten that. Also, I was wrong about the solid bullets. This is from wikipedia:

It had been loaded with six "Devastator" brand cartridges, which contained small aluminum and lead azide explosive charges designed to explode on contact; the bullet that hit Brady was the only one that exploded. On April 2, after learning that the others could explode at any time, volunteer doctors wearing bulletproof vests removed the bullet from Delahanty's neck.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bristoe
These days, I think one would have to break it down into bullet type. The popularity of small pocket .380's has resulted in a lot of attention towards producing high performance bullets that produce optimum results in that chambering.

It's hard to put much credibility in numbers that show that a 9mm performs lower than a .380 since a 9mm is the same diameter bullet, only heavier (typically) and traveling significantly faster.

I'm a big fan of the LCP and it's what goes with me when I carry. But if I was at home and needed to grab up a pistol, it would be my 9mm.

Actually, it would be my AR,...but that's for a different discussion.

The author discusses that point in the article. His view is that the sample included many 9mm shootings that resulted in more than one hit driving down the "one hit stop" percentage.

Here is a link to the article.
http://www.activeresponsetraining.net/an-alternate-look-at-handgun-stopping-power

Last edited by Youper; 04/09/19.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
How many shootings are double taps that don't give the person enough time to fall before the 2d one hits?

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Now, now, don't be throwing variables into the pot.

I am..........disturbed.

V
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
V
"Try facing someone armed with a 9mm Glock and see how you do with your 22lr. They will take you down with 1 shot and you will only get one shot at them."

Depends on who's the best shot and who shoots first. A little .22 bullet between the eyes will turn the biggest baddest man walking the earth into a pile of dead meat.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
go out and shoot a big ol jackrabbit with a .22lr and see what it does.
then shoot another jackrabbit with a .45acp and see what it does.

Back when I lived in Nevada, my hunting buddy and I made life a living hell on the jackrabbit population. Shot the with everything from .22LR to .458 Win. mag. most of the time though we used handguns, mainly in .22 LR. We got to where one shot kills were fairly common. One day we were out and about and the gun I had with me was an old 1917 S&W army issue I'd gotten for a fair price. The only ammo I had was hardball so when Mr. Rabbit presented a decent shot I took it. The rabbit flinched and my buddy's brother told me I'd missed. I said I didn't and shot that rabbit again. Once more it flinched at the shot, then walked off. We followed it for about 30 or so feet when it just laid down on its side and kicked a few times. On inspection there were two holes right behind the shoulder just where I'd said I aimed. Kind of made me wonder about the effectiveness of the .45ACP and hardball at least on jackrabbits. Handloads with a 200 gr. semiwadcutter were a lot more effective on those bunnies.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
LOL, I've shot a couple rabbits with the 230gr FMJ flat points from my 45 ACP out in Wifes bean patches in the garden, they thought as long as they sat still I couldn't see them, point being, the bullets kicked up a nice pile of dirt behind the rabbits, they hopped or ran a short distance and died, not much indication of a hit, 22LR HP's will definitely show a hit better, they also kill them much faster.

Trump Won!
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by drover
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
I will tell y'all another thing about the little .22lr. Surgeons hate it because it won't exit. Where you shoot somebody with an honest .44 mag, that bullet travels in a straight path and exits. Shoot someone with a .22, the damn bullet enters the chest, but it doesn't exit, it bounces off a rib, goes through the chest and damages the lung some more, then bounces off another rib.

In some ways the little .22 is more lethal because it is less powerful. It is a nasty lethal round.

I read a study that pointed out this very thing. The study said that the biggest issue with being shot with a 22 is that it may ricochet around inside or your body damaging multiple organs, also since they are small and do not leave a lot "wound trail" the projectile itself can be difficult to find.
That was the issue that almost killed Presiden Reagan, he was bleeding out and they could not find the projectile - Yep, he was shot with a 22.

drover

Boys, as a trauma doc, I assure you that “finding the bullet” is a low priority in GSW surgery. The bullet is inert. Hell, I’ve had a 22 bullet sitting in my chest for nearly 40 years and I still ain’t dead. You can leave it in most of the time. The real problem is stopping the bleeding, and it was persistent bleeding from small vessels that nearly killed Reagan.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (1minute, 1badf350, 1234, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 56 invisible), 2,466 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,557
Posts18,491,741
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.