Hop To
Page 11 of 14 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Judman
Originally Posted by beretzs
The 400 has been on my brain a few times. Seems like a neat old cartridge. Might be pretty easy for JES to turn one up without too much drama. As long as brass is there I can’t see it being too bad.

I’ve pondered it as well, or the 375 whelen/skovill...

Any of those would be pretty cool in my book. I’ve got a good Whelen and a 375 Improved so I don’t need nothing but I’ve dug the 400. Ol Elmer clipped a bunch of game with his. I happen to have a 280 Hawkeye I really don’t need and it’s too heavy to be a 280 in my book. Might make a good 9.3 or 400 depending on what Jess says.

Semper Fi
GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The 400 has been on my brain a few times. Seems like a neat old cartridge. Might be pretty easy for JES to turn one up without too much drama. As long as brass is there I can’t see it being too bad.

Jesse and I did just that with my wildcat. He stamped it: 41 OM. It stands for 41 Occumpaugh & Manzo. No fire-forming is necessary. Some of the whippy barrels might not have sufficient thickness for the rebore.

Rather than the fire-forming required for the 400 whelen using cylindrical brass, cream of wheat, and all the other stuff: the 41 O&M is simple. It only requires you to take a dirt cheap PRVI 9.3x62 brass case, and size up the neck to accept a .410 bullet, rather than the .411 bullet of the Whelen. It's as simple as resizing 308 win brass to 358 win brass.

I used to think that I needed to fireform them, to "define" the shoulder a bit more, but there's no need.

.410-411 are the real deal, and with the 400 whelen-type cartridges, the recovery from recoil is insanely fast because the recoil is negligible. Being a 4-5 down gun, a bit more forgiving if you miss or wound on the running shot. I can't say the same for a .416 Rem Mag. It's a very long bolt pull, and the recoil feels twice that of my 41 O&M:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...ng-1895-scout-rifle-project#Post13233780

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 04/07/19.
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
yukon254, guide had a rifle, just the way the bear came at us put the guide behind me. But I honestly don't know if he had a shot or not, I was focused on something else! It literally happened faster than I can type this. I shot it, I just automatically tagged it. I've hunted up there more times after this happened, and hope to get up there again. Lots of moose, bear and wolves up there, and the fires in Alberta, from a couple years ago, have even pushed some deer into the area.

Im glad it worked out the way it did, and real good job on your part. Guides love having guys like you that actually know how to handle themselves and their rifles in tough situations. My thoughts on these situations mirror the sentiments Tim Sundles shares on his website. Like Tim, I put human safety above anything else. If a bear acts curious, aggressive, or even just seems off a bit, kill it as soon as you possibly can. All this nonsense about trying to figure out if a bear is bluffing is pure hogwash in my world. When they cross that line they die, cubs or not.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Yukon, my mother was a bear hunting guide, and like you, plenty of stories of predatory behavior from the big ones. I have an old book with traditional stories from my great, great grandfather, Chief Peter Tenass of Eel Ground, New Brunswick, and his brother Chief John Tenass from Red Bank, New Brunswick. The stories were recorded in 1911.

When a bear killed a mother and her children, those Micmac Indians went to the woods, and killed every bear in the area. Over a hundred bear. They left only one. Not even Indians believe in that "save the bear" bullsht.

For those idiots who claim that being mindful and cautious are more important than carrying a gun, just recently in about the past 5 years:

1. An old coworker was killed near Eagle River while hiking.

2. Just a few miles from my cabin, two remarkable young women were hurt badly by a black bear, one died.

3. An old classmate, kenny, was badly mauled outside of Juneau.

4. At a tribal gathering in Lilooet, BC a few years ago, some tribal members told me about their grandmother recently being eaten alive behind her home by a black bear.

In all four instances, they were unarmed, and did nothing wrong.

When I was in a village on Illiamna Lake, no bear walked through the village with children playing about and lived another day. Those bears were dealt with. Human lives are more important than warning shots. Make that shot count.......

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 04/07/19.
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Wow Mainer I would love to read that book. Those Elders that lived on the land were / are great people. I've been lucky enough to spend most of my life among the Cree, and they are the finest people I have ever known. I learned to hunt from them.
When I was about 9 my dad hired an old Cree fellow to help us on the ranch. His name was Maxi Desjarlas and he never owned a car or had a drivers license in his life. He lived off the land, trapping in winter for cash money. The Moberly country where we lived was bush country. Real thick stuff. You had to be able to hunt if you were going to put food on the table. Many times I remember Maxi killing bull moose in their bed.

Those Elders also didnt take chances with bears.Especially grizzly bears. In their culture they considered the grizzly bear a bad man. They would describe a big bodied bear as a 'big man.' Took me years to understand that. They were referring to a grizzlies intelligence. Anyone who has much experience around them will realize just how smart they are. I've actually watched them use what can only be described as reasoning skills to get themselves out of bad situations.

A friend of mine was killed a few years ago by a grizzly. He was on a solo sheep hunt in Alberta and walked right into a big sow with cubs feeding on a deer they had killed. His rifle was in one of those pack scabbards and he wasn't able to use it. I heard later that the scene was pretty bad....he had gotten to a knife and likely stuck the bear a few times. She or most likely both her and the cubs, turned up the heat and the result was pretty nasty.

In another fatality that happened the same year about 12 miles from my home, a grizzly came through the window of this couples home. They made it outside but the bear followed them and caught the wife in the driveway. The husband did get to a gun and killed the bear. I know one of the paramedics that was involved, and he said he hasn't seen anything like it in 30-years.

They are nothing to fool with. They have the ability to do a lot of damage in a very short period of time. Im thinking your 95 is about as good a bear gun as I've ever seen. Im searching for one in good shape now.

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak

Jesse and I did just that with my wildcat. He stamped it: 41 OM. It stands for 41 Occumpaugh & Manzo. No fire-forming is necessary. Some of the whippy barrels might not have sufficient thickness for the rebore.

Rather than the fire-forming required for the 400 whelen using cylindrical brass, cream of wheat, and all the other stuff: the 41 O&M is simple. It only requires you to take a dirt cheap PRVI 9.3x62 brass case, and size up the neck to accept a .410 bullet, rather than the .411 bullet of the Whelen. It's as simple as resizing 308 win brass to 358 win brass.

I used to think that I needed to fireform them, to "define" the shoulder a bit more, but there's no need.

.410-411 are the real deal, and with the 400 whelen-type cartridges, the recovery from recoil is insanely fast because the recoil is negligible. Being a 4-5 down gun, a bit more forgiving if you miss or wound on the running shot. I can't say the same for a .416 Rem Mag. It's a very long bolt pull, and the recoil feels twice that of my 41 O&M:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...ng-1895-scout-rifle-project#Post13233780

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

You’ve got my attention Mainer!

Semper Fi
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Beretz,

Instead of $2.15 per brass case for the cylindrical brass (currently on back order per midwayusa), you'll be at 52 cents per brass case with the 41 O&M and no fire forming:

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/12661

I'm unsure why Quality Cartridge charges such a price for those things? It's a cylindrical case that hasn't undergone any forming, you'd think that would make them cheaper than even a formed 30-06 case.

For reference, a Norma 9.3x62 brass case is usually about $1.00 per brass case.

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 04/08/19.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Beretz,

Instead of $2.15 per brass case for the cylindrical brass (currently on back order per midwayusa), you'll be at 52 cents per brass case with the 41 O&M and no fire forming:

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/12661

I'm unsure why Quality Cartridge charges such a price for those things? It's a cylindrical case that hasn't undergone any forming, you'd think that would make them cheaper than even a formed 30-06 case.

For reference, a Norma 9.3x62 brass case is usually about $1.00 per brass case.

Thanks Mainer. I’d like to know what you did for dies and such. I have a Ruger 280 Hawkeye sitting here just begging to get made over. Pretty sure there’d be plenty of meat in them chunky Ruger barrels.

Semper Fi
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Love that rifle, Mainer.

I’d maybe stick with the 9.3 but the 41 O&M looks like a great round. A 350 grain AFrame at 2300+ has got to get it done!

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Some terrific rifles here guys, thank you!

[Linked Image]
Interior grizzly with my 30-06 Rem 700 and 200 gr Nosler Partitions. Have to admit that a couple of 225 gr Barnes TSX bullets from the guide's rifle ended up in the bear as well. There was quite a bit of shooting going on, in a hurry, at modest range.

[Linked Image]
I hunt all sorts of critters with the 30-06, so it seemed like a good choice for the grizzly hunt as well. Accurate & reliable. Still a favorite.

The black bears I've taken weren't huge, roughly 6 feet, pretty much normal for an adult boar where I hunt in Washington. Used either my 30-06 or a 375 H&H Ruger Number One on them. Ranges were from really close, like 15' out to over 300 yards.

Washington black bear with the 375 H&H Ruger:
[Linked Image]

Interesting thread.

Guy

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Brad
There’s a local guy here that guided every year for decades in the Yukon. His do-everything rifle was a pre-64 338 WM stoked with 250 Partitions. That rifle accounted for over 50 grizzlies.

That's pretty danged impressive.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I do have this 375 H&H Model 70 with a Douglas Barrel. Shoots great! I just haven't hunted with it yet:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Love the stock, but perhaps it ought to go into a McMillan for serious bear-hunting chores. Not sure I'm ever going back for another "big bear" though. One, somehow seems enough.

Black bears? Oh heck ya, I love hunting the local black bear. smile

Guy

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Almost four years ago, I was supposed to get dies made up, but never did.

I just neck up the brass to accept a 41 caliber bullet. I don't even resize new cases. In fired cases, I neck down with a 41 magnum pistol die and full length resize the bodies with a 9.3x62 die. I set the die so that is doesnt come near the neck. So about 3/4 of the case gets full length sized.

Prop the easiest way, is to just have an existing set of 9.3x62 dies modified. 100 yards up the hill there are a father and son duo that put together $15,000 rifles. From rendering bison bone ash for color case hardening, to carving solid planks of exotic wood into beautiful stocks, to building parts and heat treating them by hand. Those guys are the real-fkn-deal gunsmiths. The father once built a $75,000 rifle. He's a legend. Cracks me up, here in Alaska somebody splurts out some silly duracoat on a few cheap AR-15 parts, puts it together and calls himself a "gunsmith".

Anyhoo, 2 minute walk up the hill, I'd probably have modified a cheap set of dies five minutes later.

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 04/09/19.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

I just neck up the brass to accept a 41 caliber bullet. I don't even resize new cases. In fired cases, I neck down with a 41 magnum pistol die and full length resize the bodies with a 9.3x62 die. I set the die so that is doesnt come near the neck. So about 3/4 of the case gets full length sized.

Prop the easiest way, is to just have an existing set of 9.3x62 dies modified. 100 yards up the hill there are a father and son duo that put together $15,000 rifles. From rendering bison bone ash for color case hardening, to carving solid planks of exotic wood into beautiful stocks, to building parts and heat treating them by hand. Those guys are the real-fkn-deal gunsmiths. The father once built a $75,000 rifle. He's a legend. Cracks me up, here in Alaska somebody splurts out some silly duracoat on a few cheap AR-15 parts, puts it together and calls himself a "gunsmith".

Anyhoo, 2 minute walk up the hill, I'd probably have modified a cheap set of dies five minutes later.

Got it. Thank you. Called Jess but his voicemail box is full. Might just send him the gun with a note.

Semper Fi
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
One thing that Jesse did, that really impresses me, is that he made the shoulder area of the chamber real tight during finish reaming. Right where the little neck turns to the body of the case. If you were to rechamber full-power, once-fired cases, they actually have some slight resistance right on the last 1/8" of the lever stroke. Dmn good job he does.

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 04/09/19.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Got it. Thank you. Called Jess but his voicemail box is full. Might just send him the gun with a note.

You gonna do a 400 whelen up?

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Judman

You gonna do a 400 whelen up?

Not sure Judd, either the 400 Whelen or the cartridge Mainer did sounds pretty darned cool.

I’ll look a bit. It’s almost cheating sending a rifle to Jess cause they come back so quick.

Semper Fi
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Haha for sure!! I got a dandy model 88 308 I was thing 338 federal, but gonna do a 358 I think.... I'll have Jess do er up...

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Cascade
I do have this 375 H&H Model 70 with a Douglas Barrel. Shoots great! I just haven't hunted with it yet:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Love the stock, but perhaps it ought to go into a McMillan for serious bear-hunting chores. Not sure I'm ever going back for another "big bear" though. One, somehow seems enough.

Black bears? Oh heck ya, I love hunting the local black bear. smile

Guy

That's a dandy guy.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks Judman.

It's one heck of a rifle. Kinda torn right now. Had a nice offer on it.

I bought it to hunt grizzly and cape buff. Got the grizzly with my 30-06 (of all things) and not sure I'll ever go for Cape Buff.

But, it's the finest rifle I've ever owned, Built by Michael Scherz. Very nice rifle.

Regards, Guy

Page 11 of 14 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

406 members (204guy, 1_deuce, 1badf350, 1eyedmule, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 49 invisible), 2,607 guests, and 1,329 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,492
Posts18,472,011
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.