Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by fishdog52
From a guy that has hunted NY and PA for many decades, the change from a Sat opener to Saturday is a BIG deal.
NY shifted to a Saturday opener several years ago. The impact was significant, and not positive.
Deer season has never been simply about hunting, there has always been a huge social side.
Historically, "the guys" would start showing up in camp on Friday.
There was time to cook up a big perch fry,
maybe have a couple extra drinks, and have time to recover
stay up a late night, or two, playing cards,
sight in your firearms,
repair whatever need fixing,
visit other camps,
and generally catch up with old friend and relatives.
Much of this disappeared with the Monday opener. Guys work thru Friday and show up late, a fast food dinner, and out hunting at zero dark thirty. It made a real change for the worse at my camp, as well as several others that I visit.
Lastly, one of the states arguments was that the change would sell more licenses, attract more hunters. Just did not happen.
The population of folks that prize the hunt, with the kill being secondary, continues to decline. The breed just gets grayer, and slowly disappears into the sunset.
Pennsylvania's situation is doubly absurd, open on a Sat, but no hunting on Sunday???

You made every point, almost word for word, that I made in a previous thread, except you didn't mention the economic impact on the local communities. And I failed to mention that now Pa hunters can either waste a Sunday in between hunting, or commute home and then get to make the trip again.

Disregarding public opinion polls, commissioners resigning, rumors that the change was ramrodded through so another commissioner's college student son wouldn't have to miss classes...it smells like typical politics in America these days.

It was an abject failure in NY. Good luck Pa.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
GB1

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by battue
Originally Posted by eaglemountainman
He didn’t get run out, he quit. Major difference and now their is one less.

Are you quite sure of that? To me it smells like a big bucket of rotting political fish.

The vote was 5 for and 3 against. Have the other two dissenting voters been forced out. As of now he quit.

Second issue:

Also would be interesting to know the particular college Thanksgiving vacation schedule. May be valid depending on when Thanksgiving vacation ended and they had to start ba

(Had to edit upon giving additional consideration.)

It's politics, after all. You never know what's going on for certain behind the scenes. Maybe the other two tucked in their balls and fell in line. Who knows.

Last edited by eaglemountainman; 04/19/19.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by SKane

He solved the monumental conundrum on how to pick up his venison from the butcher this past year, unraveling this whole thing should be a walk in the park;
beer in one hand, cigarette in the other – "whatever's best for me while I'm still upright" is what I'm banking on. laugh

😀

I forgot about that epic display of organizational aptitude.

Last edited by battue; 04/19/19.

laissez les bons temps rouler
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I'm still against the Saturday opening, but I won't bitch and complain about it. I'll grab my rifle and stand Saturday morning, hike up a tree and enjoy being out there. But, I'm sure the majority of you guys would agree they did this a little backwards without allowing Sunday hunting first. If they are saying the Saturday opener would get more people (kids) in the woods, why wouldn't hunting on Sundays do the same? The whole "bird watching, hikers, blah blah" need Sundays is BS. They aren't buying the licenses to help fund the PA Game lands like us hunters do. BUT, I will give kudos to PA for not having in increase in in license fees for over 20 years. I'm sure we can all agree that's actually an accomplishment.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery - Thomas Jefferson
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
He didn’t get run out, he quit. Major difference and now their is one less.

Are you quite sure of that? To me it smells like a big bucket of rotting political fish.

The vote was 5 for and 3 against. Have the other two dissenting voters been forced out? As of now he quit.

Second issue:

Also would be interesting to know the particular college Thanksgiving vacation schedule. May be valid depending on when Thanksgiving vacation ended and they had to start back.

Edit: To Blackheart, sorry I don't conform to your inane generalization, but I don't happen to be one of your city f^cks

(Had to edit upon giving additional consideration.)

It's politics, after all. You never know what's going on for certain behind the scenes. Maybe the other two tucked in their balls and fell in line. Who knows.

The blackheart addition was not mine.

Last edited by battue; 04/19/19.

IC B2

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Sorry, I put that in the wrong spot. Surprised it let me...I'll fix it.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H

Originally Posted by OrangeDiablo
...... BUT, I will give kudos to PA for not having in increase in in license fees for over 20 years. I'm sure we can all agree that's actually an accomplishment.

While I agree with your comment there relly is no accomplishment to it, they just cut programs and closed farms.
The bird watchers,hikers, etc that "need a day too" is a BS statement by them and the PGC. Who own the State Gamelands? Who bought them? Let them sniff dandelions all they want on State Forests and private property 7 days a week. Just look at their uproar because the PGC closed the hiking trail to Glenenoka Falls (sp) somehow they forget it is GAMELANDS under control of state hunters, supported with funds from hunters what right do they have to ask for the trail to be left open with no vested interest? Kinda like me telling you what church to attend.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Hectortwsp

Originally Posted by OrangeDiablo
...... BUT, I will give kudos to PA for not having in increase in in license fees for over 20 years. I'm sure we can all agree that's actually an accomplishment.

While I agree with your comment there relly is no accomplishment to it, they just cut programs and closed farms.
The bird watchers,hikers, etc that "need a day too" is a BS statement by them and the PGC. Who own the State Gamelands? Who bought them? Let them sniff dandelions all they want on State Forests and private property 7 days a week. Just look at their uproar because the PGC closed the hiking trail to Glenenoka Falls (sp) somehow they forget it is GAMELANDS under control of state hunters, supported with funds from hunters what right do they have to ask for the trail to be left open with no vested interest? Kinda like me telling you what church to attend.

Me, being a nonres of PA, I'll admit I'm quite ignorant to what was cut in order to keep the price of licenses the same. I'm sure you will get a spectrum of answers if you ask if there should have been a raise in prices to keep these programs or be in the scenario we are currently in with these cut programs and farms.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery - Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Overall I'm quite happy with the PGC as an agency. I think they've done a great job for the most part. The difficult part is that in PA every single deer hunter believes they are a wildlife biologist and you can't tell them anything. Me? I'm just delighted to have an extra Saturday tacked on to Rifle season.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by moosemike
Overall I'm quite happy with the PGC as an agency. I think they've done a great job for the most part. The difficult part is that in PA every single deer hunter believes they are a wildlife biologist and you can't tell them anything. Me? I'm just delighted to have an extra Saturday tacked on to Rifle season.

Bingo!!!!

IC B3

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Happy to put more stress on an alreaded depleted herd. Sounds pretty self serving and narrow minded to me...but we live in a me first era next you may want a participation trophy for just being out there in the field.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Happy to put more stress on an alreaded depleted herd. Sounds pretty self serving and narrow minded to me...but we live in a me first era next you may want a participation trophy for just being out there in the field.

If I was faced with having to hunt a depleted herd, I'd simply move to where the deer are. There are plenty of deer in PA. Think I saw 23 on just the last day of Rifle season.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
So... where is the depleted herd; and why is it depleted?

Last edited by Barnstorm; 04/19/19.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Barnstorm
So... were is the depleted herd; and why is it depleatred?

Brainstorm, I think you misspelled your username.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
dubePA Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
know what Brainstorm meant. The entire ANF, NC part of the state parts of the NE are as well. Too many doe tags for too long too many greedy slobs bragging about how they and their kids kill a couple does a piece every year and then feed the meat to the dogs or just chuck it.
Last year my son killed a doe and a couple local kids killed one each on my land, but I manage my properties well.

Last edited by Hectortwsp; 04/19/19.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

It wants me to sign in to read it...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
know what Brainstorm meant. The entire ANF, NC part of the state parts of the NE are as well. Too many doe tags for too long too many greedy slobs bragging about how they and their kids kill a couple does a piece every year and then feed the meat to the dogs or just chuck it.
Last year my son killed a doe and a couple local kids killed one each on my land, but I manage my properties well.

You got all that from this...

Originally Posted by Barnstorm
So... were is the depleted herd; and why is it depleatred?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Hardly anyone hunts the northcentral after the first day of Rifle now until the first Saturday. Then it's a ghost town again for the second week. If conditions were favorable the deer herd would be booming in the big woods. If the deer aren't there it's because the habitat isn't there.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B

Brainstorm, I think you misspelled your username.

Nope that's me; a Joe Walsh fan...

Last edited by Barnstorm; 04/19/19.
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (160user, 270cowboy, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 219 Wasp, 67 invisible), 2,549 guests, and 1,317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,088
Posts18,482,895
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.