Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 15 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 14 15
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jwp475

Any body that believes that the best loads in a 45 is no more effective than the loads in a 9mm are full of BS. I’ve shot way too many head of game with both to buy that crap.

Dude... our thinking on this is so 'yesterday'. We simply must get on board with the Modern 9mm!

http://www.thesixgunjournal.net/the-modern-9mm/

Over the past 45 years I’ve seen countless new pistol loads offered as the ne plus ultra of anti-personnel loads and I’ve seen the FBI christen ‘ideal’ service cartridges three times now- followed by a stampede of lemmings behind them. Frankly I’d rather watch Bullwinkle than suffer through another one. At least Bullwinkle was written by witty people who assumed their audience capable of conscious thought.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
GB1

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
The FBI has been coming up with wonder loads ranging from 9mm-10mm since the agency was formed; since they have come to the conclusion all do the work of a 45 while allowing more rounds, easier hit repeatability, the next logical step is the adoption of a 25 or 32 (30) caliber service round and weapon that will reasonably extend the same logic. Hell, Ive just read here a 22 lr and a 22 Mag needn't expand, since its pointless under 2,300 fps....
Never mind every time the FBI adopts a cartridge it ISN'T a 45 and when the military actually uses a sidearm en masse it goes back to the 45, since those tasked with actually using a handgun and not merely testing them seem to have an imaginary inclination and preference towards it.

Don't take my word for it; 250 quantified shootings and gel tests (that's probably a whole lot more than seen in the Phillippine insurrection, WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam and two sandboxes combined) unarguably have all basis covered.

Don't even bother with what constitutes a hunting handgun; everyone knows they all kill the same, especially those who haven't shot even a rabbit with a 380....

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
If we ever solved the cartridge debates, what would we talk about?

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TWR
If we ever solved the cartridge debates, what would we talk about?

Chili -- beans or not? laugh

John

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Stupidity doesn't get "solved"...though DUMB Fhuqkers greedily align,to "justify" their "findings" and correlate their collective Nothingness.

Hint....................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by bcraig
Originally Posted by jimmyp
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
yes a 22 LR will kill the piss out of you.

Days later.

Within seconds in the chest and instantly in the head

Uh nope
I personally know someone that took a CCI Mini mag Hollow Point from a 6-1/2 barrel Ruger single six at a range of less than 3 inches from a drunk woman who was fugging around with a loaded gun she thought was unloaded.

The bullet struck him 3 inches below his nipple and 2-1/2 left of dead center of his chest.

Guy instantly thought it was a lung shot and walked to his kitchen about 40 feet away and grabbed a couple of plastic sandwich bags and held over the entrance and exit wound to keep the lung from sucking in air and collapsing his lung.

He sat on the couch for about 20 minutes waiting for the ambulance to arrive.

Ended up the bullet did not hit his lung but did hit his kidney,he had one tube going in to pump blood in and a tube sucking blood out of his penis .This after an hour long ambulance ride to the hospital..After a long surgery he was in the hospital for a couple of weeks and pissed blood for about a year.He survived and was not incapacitated by the shot IE could have done anything he wanted to .

Rare occurrence? Maybe

But to state that any shot to the chest is an instant death is not correct.
would identical shot placement with a 9mm or 45 killed him ? who knows as the wider bullet might have caught the heart or Major artery.Maybe not.

as a youth my friends dad worked as an anchorman for a local TV station, we hunted with many of the local sheriffs deputies as he know a lot of them. The de rigueur shooting instrument for the African American drinking establishments back in the day was some type of cheap 22 LR, I recall 3 stories of dead men shot with 22 LR's that did not make it to the door of the bar. More recently in my current location a black woman unloaded a ruger mark 1 into a rapist he did not make it out the door either. Everyone continues to say until you get to 2300FPS pistol bullets are all about the same. Had the man in your story been shot by a .380, 9mm or 45ACP how can you say it would have been different? You just don't know until you have 250 shootings to tabulate smile....

but thinking about this more why is it some hunters feel like they have to have a magnum of some type to kill a 100 pound WT Deer? Some can do just as well with a 223 and the right bullets as another cannot do with a 300WM.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by bcraig
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
yes a 22 LR will kill the piss out of you.

Days later.

Within seconds in the chest and instantly in the head

Uh nope
I personally know someone that took a CCI Mini mag Hollow Point from a 6-1/2 barrel Ruger single six at a range of less than 3 inches from a drunk woman who was fugging around with a loaded gun she thought was unloaded.

The bullet struck him 3 inches below his nipple and 2-1/2 left of dead center of his chest.

Guy instantly thought it was a lung shot and walked to his kitchen about 40 feet away and grabbed a couple of plastic sandwich bags and held over the entrance and exit wound to keep the lung from sucking in air and collapsing his lung.

He sat on the couch for about 20 minutes waiting for the ambulance to arrive.

Ended up the bullet did not hit his lung but did hit his kidney,he had one tube going in to pump blood in and a tube sucking blood out of his penis .This after an hour long ambulance ride to the hospital..After a long surgery he was in the hospital for a couple of weeks and pissed blood for about a year.He survived and was not incapacitated by the shot IE could have done anything he wanted to .

Rare occurrence? Maybe

But to state that any shot to the chest is an instant death is not correct.
would identical shot placement with a 9mm or 45 killed him ? who knows as the wider bullet might have caught the heart or Major artery.Maybe not.

as a youth my friends dad worked as an anchorman for a local TV station, we hunted with many of the local sheriffs deputies as he know a lot of them. The de rigueur shooting instrument for the African American drinking establishments back in the day was some type of cheap 22 LR, I recall 3 stories of dead men shot with 22 LR's that did not make it to the door of the bar. More recently in my current location a black woman unloaded a ruger mark 1 into a rapist he did not make it out the door either. Like I said earlier until you get to 2300FPS pistol bullets are all about the same. Had the man in your story been shot by a .380, 9mm or 45ACP how can you say it would have been different? You just don't know until you have 250 shootings to tabulate smile....

but thinking about this more why is it some hunters feel like they have to have a magnum of some type to kill a 100 pound WT Deer? Some can do just as well with a 223 and the right bullets as another cannot do with a 300WM.

No pistol bullets are not about the same. I have no idea where you came up wth the 2300 FPS

There is a poster here that was shot a5 point blank range in the chest wit a Charte4 arms 6” barrel by a 38 Special and the bullet didn’t penetrate through his breast bone.

You jump to too many conclusion with what appears to be little experience.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Shoot the head and they all work!!!

The foundation for old age is good memories.
V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
I am sure there are stories of failures and successes in every chambering.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Jimmy keeps posting all handgun bullets are the same and that is total BS, there are bullets for the 38 Special that would have went through his breat bone and through his chest. Bullets are not all the same fir handguns and neither are the wound channels.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B3

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
So bullets matter more than headstamps?

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by TWR
So bullets matter more than headstamps?

They are tied together for sure and certain.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It's never been difficult to cypher,who shoots...and who don't.

Hint..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Jimmy keeps posting all handgun bullets are the same and that is total BS, there are bullets for the 38 Special that would have went through his breat bone and through his chest. Bullets are not all the same fir handguns and neither are the wound channels.

I agree 100% but John you are not the first to get banned without posting, I AM.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Stray

The FBI specced out ammunition for their needs. They apparently train to get a lot closer to their bad guys than I do and work with a lot of people in the area. I typically work alone on Indian reservations and am not too worried about overpenetation, but am concerned about being ambushed or prevented from egressing on a muddy or snow-drifted, dirt road. My agency won't allow rifles, which would be my first choice in this scenario. So I prefer the heaviest bullets that are issued at the fastest speeds. Our 165 gr .40 ammo goes at about the same velocity as a 124 gr 9mm, (in general, or at least in the brands my agency usually buys) so to me, it's a no-brainer.

As far as I am concerned, that is more dangerous than working the meanest streets in urban America! No air support, no 50 friends to drop everything and start screaming your way in an instant, and no fully-staffed major trauma center a few minutes away. Oh, and you may be going up against a guy with a scoped elk rifle who knows how to use it and doesn't care about overpenetration. People who do what you do have my utmost respect. Stay safe!

Originally Posted by Stray

As is typical, we qualify from up to 25 yards. How about some ammo tests against Carhartt's and a wool shirt, thermal underwear, etc. at 25-35 yards?

I started going DIY on that kind of stuff! I use water jugs but I am thinking about springing for some ClearBallistics gel.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I am going to buy the Underwood Lehigh 380’s. Your using a G42 to test them? I am going to use a P380. Did you see the Underwood 115 grain extreme penetrator 10mm at 1700 FPS!! Makes you wonder.

A regular poster on Glock Talk who uses +P Underwoods and similar handloads in his Glock 42 was getting frame battering when he tried those in a Kahr P380. You should be able to Google it.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
if you get shot in the chest with a 380 and get shot in exactly the same place with a 45ACP you are IIRC about 20% more likely to stop what your doing with the 45ACP. Someone posted the study not too long ago on these forums, now we have this video from one of the biggest manufacturers of ammunition in the world saying about the same thing. It's been difficult for me as well to come to grips with the concept as well that a 240 grain soft point 44 magnum at 1300 FPS is just not that much more effective than a 90 grain 380 at 1000 FPS if they hit the exact same spot on a human target under identical conditions. A 44 or 475 has the momentum to shoot thru a buffalo but for self defense 20 inches of penetration is more than enough and below 2300 or so FPS they ain't that much different.

If you believe that BS then hunt deer with a 380 and test the 20% theory.

Yeah, me too. Deer and humans are close but pain does not have the same affect on deer and are shot to take both lungs with a second hole to bleed a blood trail. I will not even use the 1911 for deer no matter the bullet. Even when you consider the 230 gr or more bullet compared to a 90 gr .380. Weight equals penetration so bullets are made to expand faster for people shooting and they stop before vitals.
A .22 is mentioned so much and it can kill just like any gun but hunting PA with archery I killed many, many deer that when cutting I found lumps on the chest walls. Looked like cancer so I cut to drop out a .22 bullet that had gone through both lungs. I also killed 4 deer with 6" of arrow inside with broadheads that had healed up. I developed a fear to reach inside deer.
Now the .223, Friends daughter used one, shot a nice doe and it ran with no blood trail. Whitworth was with us and we searched with no luck. An hour later I went to my stand and found her deer, almost 300 yards from where hit. I gutted and found the bullet made 6" only, no bone. I convinced him to get her a 30-30 and she loves it and has taken a lot of bucks with it.
If you can't kill a deer with a gun cleanly I would not shoot a man with it either. You will not get 20" of penetration in a human with a .380, forget it.
.44 mag can be too much with penetration too but watching shooting shows had a guy hang water filled balloons on a rack and he caught the bullet in no. 5 with a factory load, NOT a hunting bullet. I have pictures but every thing I try to post is too large.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by bfrshooter
if you get shot in the chest with a 380 and get shot in exactly the same place with a 45ACP you are IIRC about 20% more likely to stop what your doing with the 45ACP. Someone posted the study not too long ago on these forums, now we have this video from one of the biggest manufacturers of ammunition in the world saying about the same thing. It's been difficult for me as well to come to grips with the concept as well that a 240 grain soft point 44 magnum at 1300 FPS is just not that much more effective than a 90 grain 380 at 1000 FPS if they hit the exact same spot on a human target under identical conditions. A 44 or 475 has the momentum to shoot thru a buffalo but for self defense 20 inches of penetration is more than enough and below 2300 or so FPS they ain't that much different.

If you believe that BS then hunt deer with a 380 and test the 20% theory.

Yeah, me too. Deer and humans are close but pain does not have the same affect on deer and are shot to take both lungs with a second hole to bleed a blood trail. I will not even use the 1911 for deer no matter the bullet. Even when you consider the 230 gr or more bullet compared to a 90 gr .380. Weight equals penetration so bullets are made to expand faster for people shooting and they stop before vitals.
A .22 is mentioned so much and it can kill just like any gun but hunting PA with archery I killed many, many deer that when cutting I found lumps on the chest walls. Looked like cancer so I cut to drop out a .22 bullet that had gone through both lungs. I also killed 4 deer with 6" of arrow inside with broadheads that had healed up. I developed a fear to reach inside deer.
Now the .223, Friends daughter used one, shot a nice doe and it ran with no blood trail. Whitworth was with us and we searched with no luck. An hour later I went to my stand and found her deer, almost 300 yards from where hit. I gutted and found the bullet made 6" only, no bone. I convinced him to get her a 30-30 and she loves it and has taken a lot of bucks with it.
If you can't kill a deer with a gun cleanly I would not shoot a man with it either. You will not get 20" of penetration in a human with a .380, forget it.
.44 mag can be too much with penetration too but watching shooting shows had a guy hang water filled balloons on a rack and he caught the bullet in no. 5 with a factory load, NOT a hunting bullet. I have pictures but every thing I try to post is too large.

I give a lot of weight to the experience of hunters, regarding bullet performance. That's some valuable data.

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
The first deer I ever shot with a 44 mag, I was less than impressed. I was following up a wounded deer, the Ruger was loaded with some remanufactured 240 grain Remington hps. A total lack of penetration.

The next deer I shot, I used hard cast bullets. A total different outcome.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Cheyenne

I started going DIY on that kind of stuff! I use water jugs but I am thinking about springing for some ClearBallistics gel.

Thanks, I just wanted to acknowledge your reply, but don’t want to sound like a drama queen. I mainly only investigate embezzlement and contractor fraud in Indian Country, for which my agency doesn’t believe rifles are necessary, but I think it’s only a matter of time before I stumble onto a meth lab out in the boonies and the rodeo will be on.

Hornady wrote in one of their test reports that they found no statistical difference in shooting from 10 feet or 25 yards. I don’t know, I wasn’t there, but it doesn’t seem logical to me. I guess that, like you said, I need to spend the time and whatever ballistics gel costs to convince myself that a good 9mm load does roughly the same as the .40, especially in winter conditions.

My agency is one of many now considering changing to 9mm, and actually, sort of asked me for my opinion, which I’m sure was thoroughly considered and carefully reviewed.

Page 7 of 15 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (1234, 1936M71, 007FJ, 204guy, 160user, 1lessdog, 56 invisible), 2,421 guests, and 1,163 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,527
Posts18,491,115
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.