Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 14 1 2 10 11 12 13 14
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Campaign enough and the majority may vote for Wednesday next year and a few years later Tuesday. Then what.

I see Old-willies point. Mine is the tradition left the Nothwoods a long time ago. Nor are any saying you can’t go to camp the way you always have. The big unspoken worry is someone may have shot your Deer on Saturday wink

Last edited by battue; 04/21/19.

laissez les bons temps rouler
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by battue
Originally Posted by CBB
Originally Posted by Barnstorm

Or maybe it should have read... "Are you willing to give up a day of small game/turkey after Thanksgiving" ... Deer hunters gained a day, small game hunters lost a day... Was a good day for family and sons and daughters to be together and just simply hunt small game after a day of Thanksgiving; no more... It's all about kill'n deer... have at me...

Never personally hunted turkey or small game Saturday after Thanksgiving.Squirrel phuggin stinks... grouse are pretty thin. Lost late season after Christmas and didnt bitch this much. Try again. Turkey hunting is for spring

Perfect example of the Pa problem: “I want to do it my way.”

“I don’t hunt small game on Saturday after Thanksgiving”. Some do. “Squirrel phuggin stinks.” “I don’t know what that means. But Pa has Squirrels pretty much everywhere and with a .22LR are great shooting practice for Deer. “Grouse are thin.” Well they are in most places. “Turkey hunting is for spring.” Well, some would just as soon hunt them in the fall.

I much prefer Fall Turkey. Never really got used to the bugs, ticks, and hot weather of the Spring season.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
What do your state representatives think? Someone mentioned contacting them in another thread about the mailman temporarily not delivering your mail (nuisance dog?).This situation seems FAR MORE appropriate.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Some of our state Reps are upset enough due to constituent feedback opposed to Saturday, that they're rumored to be thinking about a legislative "fix" to what is a regulatory move by the game commission. Many of us do not favor more legislative interference than already exists, even if we aren't in favor of a Saturday opener.

I see mention of us having a vote. Hope that didn't mean public referendums like CA and some other states have? The mob could just as easily pass a referendum that bans hunting?

There was already an opportunity to voice an opinion on the issue of a Saturday opener and it failed. There was a similar opportunity over a year ago, to voice an opinion on semis for big game. As I recall, most that "voted" in that feedback poll, didn't want semis? Semis would be fine with me. As with more Sunday hunting, such things work well almost everywhere else.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by CBB
Originally Posted by Barnstorm

Or maybe it should have read... "Are you willing to give up a day of small game/turkey after Thanksgiving" ... Deer hunters gained a day, small game hunters lost a day... Was a good day for family and sons and daughters to be together and just simply hunt small game after a day of Thanksgiving; no more... It's all about kill'n deer... have at me...

Never personally hunted turkey or small game Saturday after Thanksgiving.Squirrel phuggin stinks... grouse are pretty thin. Lost late season after Christmas and didnt bitch this much. Try again. Turkey hunting is for spring

Perfect example of the Pa problem: “I want to do it my way.”

“I don’t hunt small game on Saturday after Thanksgiving”. Some do. “Squirrel phuggin stinks.” “I don’t know what that means. But Pa has Squirrels pretty much everywhere and with a .22LR are great shooting practice for Deer. “Grouse are thin.” Well they are in most places. “Turkey hunting is for spring.” Well, some would just as soon hunt them in the fall.

I much prefer Fall Turkey. Never really got used to the bugs, ticks, and hot weather of the Spring season.

Me too. My first turkey was a fall bird.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
IC B2

C
CBB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Campaign enough and the majority may vote for Wednesday next year and a few years later Tuesday. Then what.

I see Old-willies point. Mine is the tradition left the Nothwoods a long time ago. Nor are any saying you can’t go to camp the way you always have. The big unspoken worry is someone may have shot your Deer on Saturday wink

I made that point a few pages ago.

To clarify my other post. Dont play cards and drink all night then post!
We quit hunting squirrel because we dont eat them and they smell like hell when you clean them. I agree fun as gell to shoot but if we arent going to eat them, we arent shooting them.
Personally never got into fall Turkey hunting, my first bird was a hen in the fall I happened across 25 years ago. Si cr then all spring gobblers.
We love grouse hunting, it was our favorite late season hunt. Always went to camp after Christmas with the guys. Now we just go to play cards.

I just didnt agree with the arguement that guys had to lose a day of small game to hunt deer on the new opener.

I will say it again. 3 of my family members could not hunt the Monday opener due to college or work issues. Now my dad, my wife and my daughter can get in the woods on opening day. Maybe I'm being selfish but that's good enough for me.

Hunt...
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
It's hard to believe the camp traditions of past of most died.

I can't imagine what 15-20 year old wouldn't love being around a bunch of 60 year plus old men. Busting the kids nuts, telling them how it use to be, how bad the new generation is, drinking, farting and other fun old man noises.

Bitching about every ache, sitting on a stump for an hour in the morning and telling everyone how bad the PCG has fugged things up.

Sign me up for some of that sheit.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The traditions then surely have passed, because things most certainly were different back then. As kids we couldn’t wait to go to camp and get to hang with those old guys. Looking back they were mostly average men of their time. However, to us kids they were “Giants” and for the most part are bigger today than they were then.

They watched over us when needed and when the time came they cut us loose.

Any who missed out on something similar during their formative years, missed out on some really good sheit.

laissez les bons temps rouler
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
+1 battue.

You can't you tube this stuff. You have to experience it. Of course. The youth of today couldn't put down the devices long enough to enjoy camp. As for the old farts. Agree with them or not. You still respected them,and fetched fire wood or what ever else you were asked to do. A right of passage. Good character building respect. So what if they told the same old stories year after year. Call it consistency.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by Steelhead

I can't imagine what 15-20 year old wouldn't love being around a bunch of 60 year plus old men. Busting the kids nuts, telling them how it use to be, how bad the new generation is, drinking, farting and other fun old man noises.

Bitching about every ache, sitting on a stump for an hour in the morning and telling everyone how bad the PCG has fugged things up.

Having to feign respect for aggressively ignorant, physically inferior old dudes that lack the self awareness to realize kids learn more about hunting, fishing and fixing their truck from devices than people who proudly stopped learning 25+ years ago.

[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
And none of that has a damn thing to do, with the things battue tried to point out.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have watched this thread and there are valid points on both sides of the issue. Have not posted till now.

I am not in favor but am not crying about it. It certainly will change tradition in our camp. Have always enjoyed Friday and Saturday after Thanksgiving doing odd chores and playing catch up on last minute projects. We have alwatys hosted a very nice get together on Sunday, then hunted Monday of course. Monday evening we hosted a spaghetti supper exchanged stories, admired any kills etc. That will all change, it will be missed by all.

For what it is worth, one, 1 of my hunting buds like the new law, everyone else opposes it.

Heaven has a wall, a gate and strict immigration policy.

Hell has open borders.

Let that sink in.....

I Live for Opening Day!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Otter6
+1 battue.

You can't you tube this stuff. You have to experience it. Of course. The youth of today couldn't put down the devices long enough to enjoy camp. As for the old farts. Agree with them or not. You still respected them,and fetched fire wood or what ever else you were asked to do. A right of passage. Good character building respect. So what if they told the same old stories year after year. Call it consistency.

I respected the hell out of those old guys and I hung on their every word.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by tail_hunter

Having to feign respect for aggressively ignorant, physically inferior old dudes that lack the self awareness to realize kids learn more about hunting, fishing and fixing their truck from devices than people who proudly stopped learning 25+ years ago.

[Linked Image]

Well, if you are going to troll,I'll bite.

That is about as ignorant a post as I've seen here in a while. Painting with a mighty wide brush too I might add.

Aggressively ignorant. Well you have that dialed in.

Physically inferior. No shortage of arrogance there either. I spent several years training act 120 cadets in our MMA club. A portion of it in my early 50s. There were some physically superior young fellas that didn't want to get on the mat with me. Be careful what old dude you poke at scooter. You may just get the ever !ovin chit kicked out of you.

What you still just can't seem to grasp,is what battue and I have said. You can't you tube memories. Time shared with loved ones. Or simple respect for those that were here before all the go pro heros. Folks that didn't know how to score a rack. Folks that fed their families when meat wasn't on the table every meal. Folks that dug gardens for ten cents a day during the deptession. Then took the money home and gave it to Dad. Families that shared a rifle. And still managed to kill game . Poor ignorant sonsabitches. No tree stands. No trail cameras. Just woodsmanship.

Disrespect them if you want. I'll listen to their stories. Again. And again. And when they are all gone we will be poorer for it. Sitting in a box blind for a week just doesn't make much of a story. Some even call that hunting. Funny chit.

Last edited by Otter6; 04/22/19.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

[Linked Image]

That is about as ignorant a post as I've seen here in a while. Painting with a mighty wide brush too I might add.

Physically inferior. No shortage of arrogance there either. I spent several years training act 120 cadets in our MMA club. A portion of it in my early 50s. There were some physically superior young fellas that didn't want to get on the mat with me. Be careful what old dude you poke at scooter. You may just get the ever !ovin chit kicked out of you.

What you still just can't seem to grasp,is what battue and I have said. You can't you tube memories. Time shared with loved ones. Or simple respect for those that were here before all the go pro heros. Folks that didn't know how to score a rack. Folks that fed their families when meat wasn't on the table every meal. Folks that dug gardens for ten cents a day during the deptession. Then took the money home and gave it to Dad. Families that shared a rifle. And still managed to kill game . Poor ignorant sonsabitches. No tree stands. No trail cameras. Just woodsmanship.

Disrespect them if you want. I'll listen to their stories. Again. And again. And when they are all gone we will be poorer for it. Sitting in a box blind for a week just doesn't make much of a story. Some even call that hunting. Funny chit.

And that's the ever loving point, shouldn't matter what day it opens for that to occur. Reading some of the posts would lead one to think that being a parent, friend, mentor is entirely based on PCG votes.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O

[Linked Image]

And that's the ever loving point, shouldn't matter what day it opens for that to occur. Reading some of the posts would lead one to think that being a parent, friend, mentor is entirely based on PCG votes.

Agreed. Things shouldn't have to come to a screeching halt. Adapt and overcome.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Until recently, you had to be twelve to get your own tags. They came with a hunting license. At twelve you’d get to go to camp. It was a right of passage. The camps of my youth were filled with men who came from every walk of life, each one with stories of places and things you’d never heard of. Many were old warriors who’d fought in the World Wars, Korea, and Vietnam Nam. At camp you got your first glimpse of the world without women in the audience. It was just men. We looked forward to turning twelve and getting to go to camp. It was a big deal.

The world’s changed, but this is how it was. Thirty years later, I look forward to camp all year long—still, with all the hope of an eleven year old boy. You’re right to recognize the difference between twelve and fifteen year olds. Anymore, for lots of kids, hunting is not cool. It’s a stigma. This may even be the case for the vast majority of kids. At the same time, the very notion of manhood is under attack and association with it is a stigma.

One thing I’ve seen come out of these threads is people posting what’s been important to them — posting about what they cherish. Seeing these sentiments published, even if in this most informal medium, is pretty cool. Interestingly, before internet forums, these values were memorialized in holidays and traditions, by the sheer act of repeating them over and over for generations. All is not lost.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Amen

C
CBB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by kingston

Until recently, you had to be twelve to get your own tags. They came with a hunting license. At twelve you’d get to go to camp. It was a right of passage. The camps of my youth were filled with men who came from every walk of life, each one with stories of places and things you’d never heard of. Many were old warriors who’d fought in the World Wars, Korea, and Vietnam Nam. At camp you got your first glimpse of the world without women in the audience. It was just men. We looked forward to turning twelve and getting to go to camp. It was a big deal.

The world’s changed, but this is how it was. Thirty years later, I look forward to camp all year long—still, with all the hope of an eleven year old boy. You’re right to recognize the difference between twelve and fifteen year olds. Anymore, for lots of kids, hunting is not cool. It’s a stigma. This may even be the case for the vast majority of kids. At the same time, the very notion of manhood is under attack and association with it is a stigma.

One thing I’ve seen come out of these threads is people posting what’s been important to them — posting about what they cherish. Seeing these sentiments published, even if in this most informal medium, is pretty cool. Interestingly, before internet forums, these values were memorialized in holidays and traditions, by the sheer act of repeating them over and over for generations. All is not lost.

Great post

Hunt...
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
The sentence about manhood rings true. Its wrong to be openly proud of being a man these days. Aint that just a little bit sad.

Page 12 of 14 1 2 10 11 12 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

291 members (01Foreman400, 300_savage, 264mag, 204guy, 257heaven, 2five7, 46 invisible), 2,317 guests, and 1,076 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,974
Posts18,499,443
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.