Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 13 of 14 1 2 11 12 13 14
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kingston

Until recently, you had to be twelve to get your own tags. They came with a hunting license. At twelve you’d get to go to camp. It was a right of passage. The camps of my youth were filled with men who came from every walk of life, each one with stories of places and things you’d never heard of. Many were old warriors who’d fought in the World Wars, Korea, and Vietnam Nam. At camp you got your first glimpse of the world without women in the audience. It was just men. We looked forward to turning twelve and getting to go to camp. It was a big deal.

The world’s changed, but this is how it was. Thirty years later, I look forward to camp all year long—still, with all the hope of an eleven year old boy. You’re right to recognize the difference between twelve and fifteen year olds. Anymore, for lots of kids, hunting is not cool. It’s a stigma. This may even be the case for the vast majority of kids. At the same time, the very notion of manhood is under attack and association with it is a stigma.

One thing I’ve seen come out of these threads is people posting what’s been important to them — posting about what they cherish. Seeing these sentiments published, even if in this most informal medium, is pretty cool. Interestingly, before internet forums, these values were memorialized in holidays and traditions, by the sheer act of repeating them over and over for generations. All is not lost.

This is a great post with wonderful insight.

Originally Posted by battue

As kids we couldn’t wait to go to camp and get to hang with those old guys. Looking back they were mostly average men of their time.
However, to us kids they were “Giants” and for the most part are bigger today than they were then.

This is what I grew up with as well.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Steelhead
It's hard to believe the camp traditions of past of most died.

I can't imagine what 15-20 year old wouldn't love being around a bunch of 60 year plus old men. Busting the kids nuts, telling them how it use to be, how bad the new generation is, drinking, farting and other fun old man noises.

Bitching about every ache, sitting on a stump for an hour in the morning and telling everyone how bad the PCG has fugged things up.

Sign me up for some of that sheit.

Until recently, you had to be twelve to get your own tags. They came with a hunting license. At twelve you’d get to go to camp. It was a right of passage. The camps of my youth were filled with men who came from every walk of life, each one with stories of places and things you’d never heard of. Many were old warriors who’d fought in the World Wars, Korea, and Vietnam Nam. At camp you got your first glimpse of the world without women in the audience. It was just men. We looked forward to turning twelve and getting to go to camp. It was a big deal.

The world’s changed, but this is how it was. Thirty years later, I look forward to camp all year long—still, with all the hope of an eleven year old boy. You’re right to recognize the difference between twelve and fifteen year olds. Anymore, for lots of kids, hunting is not cool. It’s a stigma. This may even be the case for the vast majority of kids. At the same time, the very notion of manhood is under attack and association with it is a stigma.

One thing I’ve seen come out of these threads is people posting what’s been important to them — posting about what they cherish. Seeing these sentiments published, even if in this most informal medium, is pretty cool. Interestingly, before internet forums, these values were memorialized in holidays and traditions, by the sheer act of repeating them over and over for generations. All is not lost.

And opening deer season on Saturday changes that how exactly?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanksgiving Day: People travel for the family get together. If you've driven hours for that, then have to go back home, load up for the trip to camp, maybe in the opposite direction, that's a factor?

Friday: Hunters travel, some four or five hours, to get to deer hunting spot/camp.But many linger on Friday, to spend more time with gathered family that came for Thanksgiving, before going to hunting spot/camp..

Saturday or Sunday: Travel days for those that didn't leave Friday to head out for camp,and prepare for the Monday opener we've had here for over 55 years

If you're going to travel hours to deer camp for a Saturday opener, you now have to leave early on Friday, in many cases. A change to Saturday opener primarily benefits those that hunt near home, students home for Thanksgiving, etc. It disrupts the normal state of things for those having to spend half a day getting to where they hunt. At least this change takes advantage of most having Friday off?

When they changed bear season to a Saturday opener, many hunters had to take a vacation day Friday to get to camps, when they'd already taken off the old Monday opener and usually Tuesday?. Bottom line, most hunters were happy with the way things were. Some that couldn't get a Monday off, weren't happy. Some that had to go back to college and couldn't hunt Monday, weren't happy. So now we're catering to those that weren't happy.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It doesn't matter if they adopted this change or not, someone's gonna whine about it. Lots of guys don't work on the Friday after Thanksgiving anyway. 'Guess we all have to make a decision to either travel on Friday to hunt on Saturday, or continue to travel over the weekend, knowing full well that someone may have taken a deer that might have come in front of us on Saturday. No matter what, someone's gonna complain.

Last edited by gophergunner; 04/23/19.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Nobody has made it clear to me why they have to do anything. I can't recall any bitching with the way its been.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
IC B2

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by Otter6
Originally Posted by tail_hunter
Originally Posted by Steelhead
It's hard to believe the camp traditions of past of most died.

I can't imagine what 15-20 year old wouldn't love being around a bunch of 60 year plus old men. Busting the kids nuts, telling them how it use to be, how bad the new generation is, drinking, farting and other fun old man noises.

Bitching about every ache, sitting on a stump for an hour in the morning and telling everyone how bad the PCG has fugged things up.

Sign me up for some of that sheit.

Having to feign respect for aggressively ignorant, physically inferior old dudes that lack the self awareness to realize kids learn more about hunting, fishing and fixing their truck from devices than people who proudly stopped learning 25+ years ago.

[Linked Image]

Well, if you are going to troll,I'll bite.

That is about as ignorant a post as I've seen here in a while. Painting with a mighty wide brush too I might add.

Aggressively ignorant. Well you have that dialed in.

Physically inferior. No shortage of arrogance there either. I spent several years training act 120 cadets in our MMA club. A portion of it in my early 50s. There were some physically superior young fellas that didn't want to get on the mat with me. Be careful what old dude you poke at scooter. You may just get the ever !ovin chit kicked out of you.

What you still just can't seem to grasp,is what battue and I have said. You can't you tube memories. Time shared with loved ones. Or simple respect for those that were here before all the go pro heros. Folks that didn't know how to score a rack. Folks that fed their families when meat wasn't on the table every meal. Folks that dug gardens for ten cents a day during the deptession. Then took the money home and gave it to Dad. Families that shared a rifle. And still managed to kill game . Poor ignorant sonsabitches. No tree stands. No trail cameras. Just woodsmanship.

Disrespect them if you want. I'll listen to their stories. Again. And again. And when they are all gone we will be poorer for it. Sitting in a box blind for a week just doesn't make much of a story. Some even call that hunting. Funny chit.

[Linked Image]

Can't imagine why hunting camp traditions and culture are eroding as participants keep aging and less and less young people want to be part of it. Blame the kids, blame the game commission, blame the technology. Just don't force these old guys to look critically at their attitudes and behavior. Don't make them ask themselves why spending time with them doesn't produce fond memories of 'time shared with loved ones' for the people they need to perpetuate their traditions.

D
D
LOL.That sums it up very well.What young kid wouldn't want to be around a bunch of guys bitching about how great it was to see 50 tiny deer by noon and now the car insurance companies paid the PGC off to kill the deer and ruin hunting.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Geezus, how many deer camps are there in Pa. anyway ? What percentage of Pa. hunters hunt out of a camp ? We have lots of deer camps in NY too but BY FAR most folks just hunt from home. Crypes I live at deer camp all year round. I can walk out my back door and hunt the mountain out back or I can walk out the front door, cross the road and hunt the mountain on the other side. It's mostly non residents and city folks that hunt out of camps around here. Can't say as I give a shyt what they think about our Saturday opener. All the locals I know hereabout love it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by douge
LOL.That sums it up very well.What young kid wouldn't want to be around a bunch of guys bitching about how great it was to see 50 tiny deer by noon and now the car insurance companies paid the PGC off to kill the deer and ruin hunting.

I cherished every moment spent in camp with the old timers. It was drilled into me that I'd better respect my elders every chance I got and I still honor that to this day. I was the only "kid" in camp. I enjoyed the opportunity to watch and learn from the older fellows. I know times have changed, but these guys didn't become good deer hunters and good men overnight. The younger generation can learn a lot from these guys, and I hope kids these days still look forward to hanging with the Old Guard like I did.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
D
D
While that is certainly true,times have changed.Most old hunters that I run into do nothing but bitch and whine about how the PGC ruined huntingI live and hunt in North central Pa and the hunting has never been better on our public lands than it is now.When my son was 9,I dropped him and my one buddy off around noon on the first day of the season at a spot to walk in and I drove around to park and push out a long narrow strip of Laurel that went along a steep ridge.This was a DMAP'd area of public land about 2 miles from my house.It's nothing but large clearcuts and laurel patches with plenty of deer.When I pulled in,there were about 4 trucks parked and about 1/2 dozen guys standing around B.S.ing.I asked them how it was going and they had nothing but doom and gloom.No deer,no shooting and they were calling it a day.Less than 20 minutes later I pushed about 15 deer past my son and buddy and my kid killed a big doe.It wasn't a far drag from where I parked and most of the guys were still there when we loaded the deer in my truck.Not one of them congratulated my son.Most of them stood around but one of them started to run his mouth about me letting my kid shoot a doe.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
While that is certainly true,times have changed.Most old hunters that I run into do nothing but bitch and whine about how the PGC ruined huntingI live and hunt in North central Pa and the hunting has never been better on our public lands than it is now.When my son was 9,I dropped him and my one buddy off around noon on the first day of the season at a spot to walk in and I drove around to park and push out a long narrow strip of Laurel that went along a steep ridge.This was a DMAP'd area of public land about 2 miles from my house.It's nothing but large clearcuts and laurel patches with plenty of deer.When I pulled in,there were about 4 trucks parked and about 1/2 dozen guys standing around B.S.ing.I asked them how it was going and they had nothing but doom and gloom.No deer,no shooting and they were calling it a day.Less than 20 minutes later I pushed about 15 deer past my son and buddy and my kid killed a big doe.It wasn't a far drag from where I parked and most of the guys were still there when we loaded the deer in my truck.Not one of them congratulated my son.Most of them stood around but one of them started to run his mouth about me letting my kid shoot a doe.

Doug, old hunters are the biggest PMS bitchbabies we have. They apparently can't adapt to anything and the Blame Commission is always the root cause of their bitterness. It's sad.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I respected the hell out of the old timers that were at camp when I was a kid but they're dead and gone and I wouldn't want to be under the same roof as these old whiners we have today. I pity todays kids.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Amen, there are a few exceptions, but overall you are spot on. Back in the day the old timers were gruff and tough because they had to be to survive. now a days a lot of them are just aszholes to be aszholes. as one of the youngest in the group I often hunt with I can say I am blessed for the guys I get to share a camp with. I wouldn't call them "old timers" but they are older than me by a generation. I've hunted enough states, and guided in a few to see that a lot of what I would call "old timers" are straight up azhats. perhaps it's the type that gravitate to guided or canned hunts (done both) who knows, but I now the type of which you refer.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
C
CBB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I just thought about another factor. The Saturday opener may help the overall quality of hunting. Lots of guys wait right after Thanksgiving and go "scout" for 3 days before the old Monday opener, hang stands whatever.

This may keep those guys out of the woods and not educate the deer right befor the gun season starts

Hunt...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CBB
I just thought about another factor. The Saturday opener may help the overall quality of hunting. Lots of guys wait right after Thanksgiving and go "scout" for 3 days before the old Monday opener, hang stands whatever.

This may keep those guys out of the woods and not educate the deer right befor the gun season starts

Good point!

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by SKane

As kids we couldn’t wait to go to camp and get to hang with those old guys. Looking back they were mostly average men of their time.
However, to us kids they were “Giants” and for the most part are bigger today than they were then.

Same.

When I was 10 I got to miss school for the first time to go to camp on Friday morning. It was still one of the most fun deer hunting trips I've ever had. My dad shot a buck on our way to his stand on opening morning. Right at first light. I was standing next to him. Later that evening he shot a doe... It was the coolest day I'd ever had in my short 10 years. I'll never forget any of it. I remember almost every detail about that day before opener. I could even tell you what magazine my cousin and I were looking at and the beer my dad and uncle were drinking. Hell, I know what we had for dinner after the 2 deer opening day.

The only thing I love more than hunting is God, my wife and kids...So to sit and read you guys bitching about something as sacred as you make it sound makes me shake my head. I don't care if opening day is Wednesday, Saturday, Sunday, or Christmas Eve, I'm going. Traditions are started every day...start a new one on Saturday instead of Monday.

Camp is what you make it. A house, a rented cabin, a tent, a lean-to of pine boughs. Just make it.

Camp is where you make it.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by tzone

Same.

When I was 10 I got to miss school for the first time to go to camp on Friday morning. It was still one of the most fun deer hunting trips I've ever had. My dad shot a buck on our way to his stand on opening morning. Right at first light. I was standing next to him. Later that evening he shot a doe... It was the coolest day I'd ever had in my short 10 years. I'll never forget any of it. I remember almost every detail about that day before opener. I could even tell you what magazine my cousin and I were looking at and the beer my dad and uncle were drinking. Hell, I know what we had for dinner after the 2 deer opening day.

The only thing I love more than hunting is God, my wife and kids...So to sit and read you guys bitching about something as sacred as you make it sound makes me shake my head. I don't care if opening day is Wednesday, Saturday, Sunday, or Christmas Eve, I'm going. Traditions are started every day...start a new one on Saturday instead of Monday.

Camp is what you make it. A house, a rented cabin, a tent, a lean-to of pine boughs. Just make it.

Great post T.

Can I make a guess as to what "magazine" you and your cousin were looking at? grin

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Rooster7

Great post T.

Can I make a guess as to what "magazine" you and your cousin were looking at? grin

Not that one. But, it was available. grin

We were looking at a North American Whitetail.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
+ 1 Tom.

grin'n with ya Rooster !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tzone

Same.

Very well said Tom.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Page 13 of 14 1 2 11 12 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

284 members (01Foreman400, 300_savage, 264mag, 204guy, 257heaven, 2five7, 47 invisible), 2,301 guests, and 1,082 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,974
Posts18,499,443
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.