Hop To
Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Yup, some suicides might be mistakes.
Others not.

Some are quite logical and when a person says they've had enough I can respect that.

May not like it. May not agree. And may hurt like hell for losing them...........but I can respect it.

Demons? Literal or figuratively............maybe.

The Good Book warns of becoming weary.
I think quite a few today have just had enough.
And leave.

Loss is bad.
Think the feeling of abandonment worse.

Unfortunately a lot of good people self exit.
The truly piece of chit people................they like to stick around and spread their misery.

GB1

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
If a great guy is gone (by suicide or other)..........consider yourself blessed to have known them and have a good beer in remembrance.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
His name was Jeff. He was an avid salmon fisherman and bird hunter and father to two children. His wife had an affair and he knew about it.

Their marriage had been on the rocks for several months and he came over to drink beer and talk in my garage.

We bullshitted for hours. Me telling him the most important thing is the kids and that there are a lot of fish in the ocean to find a good woman and it's time to move on and let his wife go.

The next morning he shot his wife sleeping in bed 6 times with his 357 revolver. Reloaded and put one through his skull.

I'll never figure it out.

This was 25 years ago. I got the call from his boy crying for me to come over and the bedroom was something I hope to never see again.

Jeff would've had 4 grandchildren right now.

Last edited by Morewood; 05/01/19.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Seems to me there’s better ways to off oneself than a bullet. Yech what a mess.

Everyone has a breaking point I suppose.

Some just break easier than others

And I agree that mental illness is not much different than cancer. Ain’t like those folks, well most anyway, asked for it.

My condolences to the folks on here that have lost loved ones, no matter the means of their departure

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Growing up on the rez the preferred method of doing the deed was hanging themselves. They go get good and drunk, find a good juniper tree and string themselves up. Usually when they were found those green juniper branches be bent and they would be touching the ground.. some would do it with a rifle..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by slumlord
There used to be a guy on here always telling people to go suckstart a glock, I have a hunch he ended up sucking one. Irony.

The way that all played out - and knowing him, personally, I seriously doubt that.
I believe heart attack, stroke, aneurism, or similar.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Learned to accept suicide back on March 26th. 1970.....

4 AM in the morning... I cut down my 16yr old brother's body from a rope in the basement...

no one saw it coming... I think it was just a teenage depression thing...

makes one grow up fast, that's for damn sure...

it didn't make me sad, so much as it made me angry at God for a long time...

in retrospect a lot of little things contributed to it..

he had just turned 16, 6 weeks earlier....I still have his dependent I.D. card, the last picture taken of him three days earlier...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jericho
I have known 4 people that committed suicide in my lifetime, nothing prepares you for the shock of being told that they are gone,.

Ive never really been shocked, but I was in certain disbelief when told that one particular person I knew had done it.

He was outgoing, kind, generous, successful business, good wife, grown-up kIds doing well, enjoying his hobbies..

I truly didn't believe it at first.

He was hiding it very well, then he just spiralled way way down.

One can keep building up the dam wall more and more to hold back the problem-maintaining a pretence, then one day
the artificial banks can burst with dramatic catastrophic results.

but all humans eventually die for one reason or another because something in them fails,
be it their mind, their hope or will to live, immune system , organs, etc. ..but there are stigmatisms attached to certain
causes of death, some more so than others.

On the bright side, Rat poison, bullet or jumping off a bridge may be better than yrs of destructive drinking and drugging
ones way to an eventual end, considering all the grief and cost one causes to society in the lingering drawn out process.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Barkoff
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Caucasian males are in the thick of it these days.

In the conversation about suicide, it is important to note that the group of people most at risk are middle aged white men between the ages of 45 and 54. In fact, 70% of suicides happen among white middle aged men.

https://reliasacademy.com/rls/store/suicide-epidemic-and-how-to-prevent-suicide

Doesn't surprise me. You know in baseball when a player get the yips, or "the thing", when they lose the ability to throw a baseball to first base without air-mailing it into the stands?

My bud tells me there is a saying in Major League baseball, "the thing don't speak Spanish" . Not one case of a Black player or Latin player getting a case of the yips, it's a white thing. Something different about the white brain...in my Al Campanas moment.

Pedro Alverez?

Last edited by Dillonbuck; 05/02/19.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Caucasian males are in the thick of it these days.

And it’s gonna get worse. As a schoolteacher in many ways I get to witness the cutting edge of societal trends. I feel for young men today because men and fathers are being written out of the script. It ain’t no surprise that it was Eve that got conned by the snake, women have always been the more suggestible sex.

Now women are being told they don’t need husbands or even men in their lives, and birthrates are plummeting anyway. Most colleges are majority female now, we’re “succeeding” with women, but having a family and motherhood ain’t high on these gitls’ list of priorities.

A lot of guys find themselves cut off from their kids, if they have any at all, and They’re getting it hammered into their head from a early age that everything they naturally are as men is “toxic”,

Ain’t no secret around here that I myself recently got hammered by a divorce. But I was lucky, by the time it happened I had raised a son and have a granddaughter and still get to be a father and grandfather to both.

On top of that, what I do for a living surrounds me with hundreds of people a day, I don’t have time to dwell upon my own problems.

But if I was stuck in a job I didn’t particularly care for at which I could never excel, seeing just the same few people every day. If I was forced to pay child support for a kid living in someone else’s home, said household headed by another man or lesbian and/or a woman who despised me. Or maybe worse, if I had no one at all, Then life would be truly dismal, with no light visible at the end of the tunnel. THAT is the situation a whole bunch of men find themselves in today.

Women suicides are gonna pick up too, when all those women facing old age realize how empty their lives are.

JMHO.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
.. It ain’t no surprise that it was Eve that got conned by the snake, women have always been the more suggestible sex.

It took the extremely capable craft and guile of the serpent to fool Eve, but only a woman to get Adam to eat of the forbidden fruit.

Adam was not condemned for being deceived by the serpent, but for believing his wife instead of what God had told him.

(Genesis 3:17)

To Adam He [God] said;

"Because you listened to your wife and ate from the tree about which I commanded you, 'You must not eat of it,'
"Cursed is the ground because of you;
through painful toil you will eat of it all the days of your life."

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
A very good friend shot himself this time of year, 1987.
We were seniors, he was a smart good looking guy.
Happy, popular, signed up to go into the Air Force that summer.
Couldnt wait to get started on his new career.

Left the house early the first morning of Turkey season, did it 200 yards from the house,
with a deer rifle. (Illegal for turkeys here)

32 years later, it still upsets me. No note, still can't guess why.

Sorry to hear that. Had a friend named David Ellis, school, then played ball against him in high school. Guy was always upbeat, one of my favorites, then one day he turned dark for no apparent reason. After he killed himself, I learned that his father and a brother had done the same. Depression, hereditary, it took a happy upbeat guy, then hit like a dark storm.

When I was in HS a kid hung himself in a tree in his back yard. Come to fine out several years earlier his older brother had also hung himself in that same tree. No one saw it coming. He always seemed like a regular kid with no problems.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Unfortunately when arrive at this decision it is the one option that solves all of their problems.Once they decide on this action there is no stopping them. If the intention known, you can delay it but not stop them. Their view is one dimensional and they do not see the effects of those who are close to them. Those near to the person are deeply hurt and cannot understand it. The blame they carry is huge. I have seen it many times and there are no words I can muster to lesson the pain they feel. It is a selfish thing, only humans are capable of this act.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by BangPop
I've seen a couple of examples recently where two individuals were declared great guys after they took their own lives. One was a early 30's fly fishing guide who left a 12 year old son behind to deal with the stigma of having his father do himself in with a pistol. Another was a mid 70's guy who left behind his wife of nearly 50 years. Everyone goes on and on about what great guys they were. Just splendid individuals. I have a different opinion of someone who would do that to a loved one or family member. Selfish chicken chits that didn't have the guts to deal with whatever was eating at them. They took the easy way out. Sad deal for those left behind.

Your know what, given all you have cited, I think you need to see the power of depression that would make a man kill himself and leave a child behind. You think it doesn't take a little bit of balls to put a gun to your head and pull the trigger?

You anger just shows that you have no understanding of how debilitating depression and PTSD can be. A lot of pretty brave dudes who served overseas, came back in a lot of pain and depression, and no doubt tried a lot before the depression overtook them.

You need to realize a lot more about depression than you do.

Good post Barkoff.

So why are so many of you so hateful about dude's suck dudes cocks? You need to realize a lot more about homosexuality than you do.

You boys have all bought in the ongoing liberal onslaught, basically EVERY [bleep] thing is a disease and nothing anyone does is their fault, except guns, guns are at fault for most things.

Understanding and tolerance are overrated, but they are California chick'ish.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had a geometry teacher who was a really good teacher. Nice guy, always willing to listen and had a passion for teaching.
He had lost his only son to a hang glider accident a few years earlier, but he remained a good guy.
Got the new report that he had chased his wife onto the front lawn, naked, and killed her, then shot himself. No reason was ever found that I am aware of. No affair was mentioned, no scandals, no clue, just seemed to snap.
Junior high school issues seemed pretty lame after the news arrived. Everyone was shocked.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
S
Originally Posted by BangPop
I've seen a couple of examples recently where two individuals were declared great guys after they took their own lives. One was a early 30's fly fishing guide who left a 12 year old son behind to deal with the stigma of having his father do himself in with a pistol. Another was a mid 70's guy who left behind his wife of nearly 50 years. Everyone goes on and on about what great guys they were. Just splendid individuals. I have a different opinion of someone who would do that to a loved one or family member. Selfish chicken chits that didn't have the guts to deal with whatever was eating at them. They took the easy way out. Sad deal for those left behind.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Morally, I am against it but I have come to realize it is better to remove yourself from the gene pool before you harm others. In other words, go shoot yourself and leave innocent people alone, especially the kids.

I am no psychiatrist but I have always thought suicide is a solution for weak minded people. Just like the ones who run off to join a cult. You will notice that our greater minds never shacked up with Charles Manson, David Koresh etc... Seems it was always people who never belonged and couldn't fit in. I have had some major lows in my life and have lost everything 3 times, never had more than a smartassed passing reflection about killing myself. Like, "this would be a good point to blow my brains out because no one would ask why".

-Piss into the wind.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Once I was on a call for suicidal female. I was talking to her trying to calm her down so that we could take her to the hospital for a emergency psychological eval. She was a drug addict and had a young daughter. Father was unknown and she was at her rock bottom. She told one thing that I have never forgotten when asked why she wanted to harm herself. ' I am afraid of living, I am not afraid of dying" That statement has never left my memory. The human condition is so complex! I have often said it is the most interesting and frustrating part of my job.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Why do so many of you have problems with black 'dads' having nothing to do with their children? How do you know what is going on inside their heads?

Good point, different head.

When its time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to get on Noah's Arc... and brother, it is starting to rain!

The chair is against the wall.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Recently had a kid who I raised as a foster kid for four years to suicide. I mourned for a few days but ultimately it was his decision and his alone. He had been threatening to kill himself since age 7 when I first met him. He was in his 20s living back in his place of birth. Most of you saw pics of him with bears deer etc when he was a kid.

Suicide seems to be passed on in certain families and cultures.

Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (1minute, 1badf350, 12344mag, 163bc, 06hunter59, 204guy, 63 invisible), 2,641 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,592
Posts18,473,455
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.