Home
Posted By: BangPop Great Guys and Suicide - 05/01/19
I've seen a couple of examples recently where two individuals were declared great guys after they took their own lives. One was a early 30's fly fishing guide who left a 12 year old son behind to deal with the stigma of having his father do himself in with a pistol. Another was a mid 70's guy who left behind his wife of nearly 50 years. Everyone goes on and on about what great guys they were. Just splendid individuals. I have a different opinion of someone who would do that to a loved one or family member. Selfish chicken chits that didn't have the guts to deal with whatever was eating at them. They took the easy way out. Sad deal for those left behind.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 05/01/19
Boy....the empathy....
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 05/01/19
Well, you know what they say about opinions....
You have no idea what those guys were dealing with, but I'm glad you think you have the shoulders to carry whatever comes along.
Posted By: watch4bear Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 05/01/19
I think suicide even pisses God off.
Posted By: memtb Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 05/01/19
Originally Posted by BangPop
I've seen a couple of examples recently where two individuals were declared great guys after they took their own lives. One was a early 30's fly fishing guide who left a 12 year old son behind to deal with the stigma of having his father do himself in with a pistol. Another was a mid 70's guy who left behind his wife of nearly 50 years. Everyone goes on and on about what great guys they were. Just splendid individuals. I have a different opinion of someone who would do that to a loved one or family member. Selfish chicken chits that didn't have the guts to deal with whatever was eating at them. They took the easy way out. Sad deal for those left behind.

I can only say that you are clueless to the torments in their mind! There are many reasons, many we cannot fathom, for a person to take his/her own life! You may want to reconsider your position on this! memtb
Posted By: AKA_Spook Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 05/01/19
Originally Posted by watch4bear

...and if anyone wonders what God is thinking we should just ask you ?
There are many reasons, many we cannot fathom, for a person to take his/her own life!

Is it the same when a person takes the life of another? Or a life of another, then their own life?
Posted By: ldholton Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 05/01/19

Some people do tend to think that way every individual suicide is different for different reasons I've had a few close friends off their self and if you spoke to me with that attitude in person I will tear your f****** head off.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 05/01/19
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Boy....the empathy....

How do you show empathy to a dead person?
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 05/01/19
There are a pile of bodies in my family compliments of suicide. Even with that I can respect an adult's decision to bring their life to an end. Nobody should have to live a life of pain be it physical or mental.
Posted By: BlueDuck Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 05/01/19
A permanent solution to a temporary problem. Sad.
Even with that I can respect an adult's decision to bring their life to an end. Nobody should have to live a life of pain be it physical or mental.

I'm with ya. Wanna check out, sign here.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 05/01/19
Selfish chicken chits that didn't have the guts to deal with whatever was eating at them. They took the easy way out. Sad deal for those left behind.

I used to be of the same opinion as you......until I knew someone who was a great guy who became severely depressed and couldn't live with the things he had to do for his country, this man wasn't a chicken schit by any stretch of the imagination.

Through past experiences I believe that when most get to this point their mind is so fuqked up that they are incapable of being selfish as their mind is not working correctly at the time.

I can't imagine what has gone so wrong as to want to die, something has got to be really wrong in the mind to get to that point.
I can't imagine what has gone so wrong as to want to die, something has got to be really wrong in the mind to get to that point.

I'm not sure how someone can jump off a building or someplace like Hoover dam. crazy
Posted By: Scotty Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 05/01/19
Although I don't think suicide is the answer, I don't know what the person is going through. Maybe they found out they have something like cancer and want to end it before they are in pain. Maybe they are going through something mentally. I can just say I am glad that I am not going through that. I have family members who have DNR because of other health issues. Who am I to judge what another is going through.
I've seen a couple of examples recently where two individuals were declared great guys but decided to chase strange. One was a early 30's fly fishing guide who left a 12 year old son and wife behind just so he could bang 20 year old strippers. He now has NOTHING to do with his son. Another was a mid 70's guy who left behind his wife of nearly 50 years to screw a 46 year old woman. Everyone goes on and on about what great guys they were. Just splendid individuals. I have a different opinion of someone who would do that to a loved one or family member. Selfish chicken chits that didn't have the guts to deal with whatever was eating at them. They took the easy way out. Sad deal for those left behind.

Same feeling with the 'Fire?
Posted By: deflave Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 05/01/19

Have you ever had anyone close to you kill themselves?
Why do so many of you have problems with black 'dads' having nothing to do with their children? How do you know what is going on inside their heads?
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 05/01/19
Posted By: blanket Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 05/01/19
Originally Posted by deflave

Have you ever had anyone close to you kill themselves?
Yes, found my grandmother after she shot herself in the head with a 22 pistol when I was 11, never have forgiven her
Have you ever fought the Demons?

If you haven't you have no idea what it's like.

So nobody cares what you think of them.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 05/01/19
Its a pisser.

I dont think they are chickenshit.
Posted By: 340boy Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 05/01/19
Its a pisser.

Agreed.
https://www.worldreligionnews.com/religion-news/exorcisms-making-comeback
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 05/01/19
II have known a few that did it as far back as the '60's. One was a high school classmate. We followed each other from OK to Guam, to the east coast of Florida where we graduated. He was a good kid IMO. He got arrested down in Miami about 6 months after graduation and hung himself in his cell. It was a minor charge and I never quite figured out why he did it other than he was profoundly embarrassed and didn't know how to deal with it.

A few others had medical issues that I doubt anyone that had not dealt with such things could wrap their mind around....epic horror stories....they made a choice regarding their life and the burden they placed on loved ones. That's about all there is to say about it.

Anyone thinking that planet earth has to march to their drummer, please send me whatever you're drinking/smoking, I'd like to try it.
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 05/01/19
Originally Posted by memtb

I can only say that you are clueless to the torments in their mind! There are many reasons, many we cannot fathom, for a person to take his/her own life! You may want to reconsider your position on this! memtb

Yessir!.....great post memtb. When I was younger my opinion on suicide was less “mature” and far less informed, I felt the same way as the OP and just the thought of someone ending this great life and causing such sorrow really angered me. As I got older and as a result of my chosen profession. I saw so much death and sadness, some intentional deaths and others unintentional but the common emotion was always sadness. In some ways that experience assuaged the anger and softened my spirit regarding suicide. When going to work means you ARE going to be a central figure in other people’s nightmares I think it changes how you want to represent humanity. We all cope with profound/chronic stress differently and there’s no “right way”. I chose to be softer and more empathetic while some of my best friends chose to harden themselves. I’m happy with my choice and in the end that’s what matters because we all have to cope with stress but some people have
an inordinate amount of stress that they shoulder.

I pray for those that are hurting AND for those that ended their pain while creating it for loved ones. It’s not for me to judge but it is incumbent on me to help my brother.
Posted By: Starman Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 05/01/19
I've seen a couple of examples recently where two individuals were declared great guys after they took their own lives..

Try and find a headstone in any cemetery that says anything bad about the dead.
evidently We don't bury bad people , we only bury good people.

Every azzhole and transgressor walking the globe right now, will also have a nice worded headstone one day. ..go figure.

Originally Posted by 12344mag

The problem could be you , in that you lack their level of imagination.
Posted By: blanket Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 05/01/19
I know Bang Pop personally and by his chosen profession has seen more death by so many means than most should ever be exposed to. I to have strong feelings on suicide
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 05/01/19
Originally Posted by AKA_Spook

...and if anyone wonders what God is thinking we should just ask you ?

Now that is a spooky thought.
Posted By: blanket Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 05/02/19
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I've seen a couple of examples recently where two individuals were declared great guys but decided to chase strange. One was a early 30's fly fishing guide who left a 12 year old son and wife behind just so he could bang 20 year old strippers. He now has NOTHING to do with his son. Another was a mid 70's guy who left behind his wife of nearly 50 years to screw a 46 year old woman. Everyone goes on and on about what great guys they were. Just splendid individuals. I have a different opinion of someone who would do that to a loved one or family member. Selfish chicken chits that didn't have the guts to deal with whatever was eating at them. They took the easy way out. Sad deal for those left behind.

with me yes
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 05/02/19
Originally Posted by blanket

with me yes

Agreed, just saying that folks would be pissed at a guy that abandons his child for another chick or decides to suck cock, but he's a hero if abandons his child with a 38 through the temple.

Funny that 'you don't know what demons' doesn't work for infidelity, catching the gay and a lot of other shiet, but 'we're' ok with it when there's a hose pipe through the window.
Posted By: Fubarski Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 05/02/19
Whackin yourself ain't no different than postin on the fire.

Nobody knows what you were thinkin, some wonder what you were thinkin, and others think they understand, but never really will.

Might work out the way ya want, might not.

1/3 of the people will be behind it.

1/3 will think you're an @sshole.

1/3 will post that you're doin it wrong.
Posted By: Starman Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 05/02/19
Suiciders who were liked, can take comfort in that some on the fire will 'send prayers' .. but prayers dont put Humpty's brains and skull back together again.

Ever wondered if some that pull the trigger on themselves were only able to do so after ask'n God to 'give them strength' to carry it out?
its not necessarily a chicken-schit act like some allege.

For all we know God might give them the green light by say'n;.... "Go ahead , make my day"
Posted By: Batchief909 Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 05/02/19
Why do so many of you have problems with black 'dads' having nothing to do with their children? How do you know what is going on inside their heads?

Dude.....lmao!! wink
Don't agree with it at all, and feel for the loved ones left behind. I've known a few myself and will say that they never even gave a hint. They had their reasons so in a fd up kinda way you gotta respect it. Have an old college friend who contacted me a couple of years ago and is not doing well. I can't understand what happened to him. Guys on disability for being crazy I guess. On top of it a DWI has him grounded at his home which his parents pay for. Pick him up once a month when his food stamps are in to take him shopping where he buys a pack of steaks and hot dogs for the rest of the month. Stays drunk all day long and takes psyche pills crash every evening, then repeat the cycle. Finally just stopped talking to him. Can't stand to hear the whining and crying like a little bich. 45 year old looking for attention. I pray for him and hope he'll either man up, or stfu and take care of business.
Posted By: 7mmMato Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 05/02/19
My Best Friend took his life almost 3 years ago. He was a avid hunter and shooter probably the most gifted shooter I have had the pleasure of knowing whether it was a Rifle , Shotgun, Pistol or Bow he was hard to beat. Excellent hunter as well. We shared many a great hunt and spent a lot of time shooting. If you had ask me 5 years ago if he would ever of killed himself I would of said no way. He had it all he had a paid off farm and equipment. Three beautiful daughters and a beautiful wife. But watching him slide downhill from depression and beer was the hardest thing I have ever seen. He once told me he knew he was depressed and if he could fix it he would. I have had a family member try to kill themselves and failed. The kind of hell they are going thru cant be explained.
Posted By: kellory Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 05/02/19
https://images.app.goo.gl/afWPFQ6URi6wKzseA
Posted By: JMR40 Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 05/02/19
Most of them WERE great guys at one time. But something happens and they change. People want to remember them before the change. Once you reach that point you're no longer thinking rationally..The guy who pulls the trigger, or swallows a bottle of aspirin isn't the same person he was earlier.. They truly believe what they are doing is the best thing for their family. And even the ones who were a POS have mothers, who mourn them. And I've known of a few where I understand. People facing a certain long painful death from cancer of other horrible diseases have been known to take control and choose when and how they would die. Having watched 1st hand how hard that is for family I'm not so sure a quick death isn't better in some cases.

It is a bigger issue than most people realize. I volunteer on a SAR team. Virtually all of our searches involve looking for people who walked out into the woods to die. We get asked to assist all the time. In the last year I've looked for more than a dozen suspected suicides or murder victims in the woods and traveled from south Florida to northern Indiana. Most don't want to be found, and many are never recovered. We are planning a search this summer in North Carolina for a missing person on National Forest property. Suspected suicide. The ranger we spoke to last week told us they averaged one suicide a week on NF property in NC.

Not being able to have closure is harder for the family. We had a 21 year old male disappear here 4 years ago. We searched for him 5 days in November without finding him. We planned another search in early May and his mother wouldn't let us set up our command post on their property. She was convinced he had just left and would show up any day. We had searched everything within two miles of home in November and widened our search in May. His remains were found within 2 hours. I had been standing less than 100 yards from him when we called the search off in November.
Originally Posted by Beansnbacon33
... Can't stand to hear the whining and crying like a little bich. 45 year old looking for attention. I pray for him and hope he'll either man up,
or stfu and take care of business.

I have personally seen those that bitch and moan endlessly saying they want to end it all and never do ..or ever intend to..

then others I knew that said nothing to nobody about their problem and just privately and quietly ended their existence.

[added;] believe it or not , the death of some of them had the effect of positively driving/urging me on in life.
I lost one of my best two friends to suicide. Over a girl who wasn't worth it. Jim was a good guy, and a gifted painter.
The world is less for the loss.
Originally Posted by Starman
Originally Posted by Beansnbacon33
... Can't stand to hear the whining and crying like a little bich. 45 year old looking for attention. I pray for him and hope he'll either man up,
or stfu and take care of business.

I have personally seen those that bitch and moan endlessly saying they want to end it all and never do ..or ever intend to..

then others I knew that said nothing to nobody about their problem and just privately and quietly ended their existence.

Yeap.
Posted By: SKane Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 05/02/19

This is a rather hidebound perspective. And has literally nothing to do with not being a "great guy" or manning-up.

Imagine someone so tormented with hopelessness and despair that it could possibly supplant even love for others.
Imagine those same people suffering such low self-worth they could possibly consider themselves a burden to loved ones.
Yeah, you can't imagine it because you're fortunate enough not to have to deal with such anxieties and mental health issues (unless one considers naïveté a mental health issue).

First, count your blessings, then I might suggest you do some research on mental health and suicide - it may be illuminating for you.

Posted By: ltppowell Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 05/02/19
I've seen hundreds of suicides. Some of them were close friends. The only thing they all had in common was a mess they left behind for other people to clean up.
Posted By: hanco Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 05/02/19
Brother in law did that cshit, damn near killed the wifey.
Originally Posted by ltppowell
I've seen hundreds of suicides. Some of them were close friends. The only thing they all had in common was a mess they left behind for other people to clean up.

Truth right there, if you are going to take that way out, do it so your loved ones do not have to deal with the aftermath
Originally Posted by ldholton

Some people do tend to think that way every individual suicide is different for different reasons I've had a few close friends off their self and if you spoke to me with that attitude in person I will tear your f****** head off.
angry over what they did?
Suiciders who were liked, can take comfort in that some on the fire will 'send prayers' .. but prayers dont put Humpty's brains and skull back together again.

Ever wondered if some that pull the trigger on themselves were only able to do so after ask'n God to 'give them strength' to carry it out?

For all we know God might give them the green light by say'n;.... "Go ahead , make my day"
bad thing with some of them getting the green light is the POS does it in the house with the kids and loved one present, for heavens sake drive to a govn't owned park, get out of your car walk far enough away before you suck on a Glock, and by the way put it into your mouth up against the roof of your mouth before you stroke the trigger
Posted By: hatari Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 05/02/19

Depression is a serious condition.

Brain chemistry and emotions are complex and have a delicate balance. Mental illness comes in many forms. Who kills themself when they feel good about themselves and life in general?
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 05/02/19

bad thing with some of them getting the green light is the POS does it in the house with the kids and loved one present, for heavens sake drive to a govn't owned park, get out of your car walk far enough away before you suck on a Glock, and by the way put it into your mouth up against the roof of your mouth before you stroke the trigger

That sounds reasonable.
Good point....and if the dude is planning leaving the SUV to his son, he'd prefer it don't have brain matter all over the interior
and hole in the roof that needs fixing..
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 05/02/19
How many of those suicides were done under the influence of ETOH?
Good point....and if the dude is planning leaving the SUV to his son, he'd prefer it don't have brain matter all over the interior

...he hadn’t noticed that the light had changed...
Posted By: Barkoff Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 05/02/19

Your know what, given all you have cited, I think you need to see the power of depression that would make a man kill himself and leave a child behind. You think it doesn't take a little bit of balls to put a gun to your head and pull the trigger?

You anger just shows that you have no understanding of how debilitating depression and PTSD can be. A lot of pretty brave dudes who served overseas, came back in a lot of pain and depression, and no doubt tried a lot before the depression overtook them.

You need to realize a lot more about depression than you do.
Originally Posted by Barkoff

Your know what, given all you have cited, I think you need to see the power of depression that would make a man kill himself and leave a child behind. You think it doesn't take a little bit of balls to put a gun to your head and pull the trigger?

You anger just shows that you have no understanding of how debilitating depression and PTSD can be. A lot of pretty brave dudes who served overseas, came back in a lot of pain and depression, and no doubt tried a lot before the depression overtook them.

Good post Barkoff.

Bullshit

Bullshit

Bullschit really?

How many cops and soldiers die every year from depression?
Real puzzies and cowards.
Some guys can handle combat better than the can the breakdown of a marriage.

I have friends who say they have done a lot of things both good and bad in the theatre of war,

but what seems to bug them most are the failed personal relationships they have had.

yeah bullshit, i have no problem with someone offing them self if that is what they want to do. What I do have a problem with is what they do to their families. Depression sucks and when someone turns it all about themselves and does not give a flying [bleep] about the ones they are leaving to deal with it, that pisses me off
SD20’s university chum tried to off herself in the dorm a few weeks ago. Took the contents of 3 bottles of anti-depressants she was on and sliced herself up very well. Serendipity saved her, not anything else. Roommate happened home way sooner than expected (supposed to be gone for the weekend).

The girl has been involuntarily kept in a psych ward because she’s a danger to herself. Tried to escape once, was successful a second time and headed straight to Walmart to buy razor blades. Failed again. They’re even resorting to shock treatments to try to treat her. They’ve done all they can to help her and are ready to simply release her because they can’t keep her locked up forever.

She’s opened up to SD20 about her PTSD and depression. Raped by multiple men as a child and taken from her parents and put in a foster home. You connect the dots. We thought it was odd when her parents drove from an hour away the night she first tried and only stayed 5 min. at the hospital.

The pain of living with what was done to her is greater than the pain of cutting herself and bleeding out. Anyone of you want to call her weak?
Why should anyone care about the loved ones of some anonymous mans who’s action they are extremely angered by when they’re not completely ambivalent towards? I can understand if the motivation was genuine but just to use the “loved ones” as a way to besmirch every casualty of suicide?
If you have no comprehension of suicide then I’d fall to my knees and thank God for your ignorance in the matter.
yeah bullshit, i have no problem with someone offing them self if that is what they want to do. What I do have a problem with is what they do to their families. Depression sucks and when someone turns it all about themselves and does not give a flying [bleep] about the ones they are leaving to deal with it, that pisses me off

Ya, I get that, but doesn't that speak to the power of depression?
You seem seem to think these people just discount their families, not that they become overpowered by the pain.

That is natural. The ones left behind feel cheated. In a way, they are.
The same empty and angry feeling lingers after the death of a loved one or someone close to alcoholism. Alcoholism is often seen as self induced just like suicide. It leaves people with resentment, bitterness and anger that is difficult to let go of or resolve.

A few weeks ago I was given the privilege of giving the eulogy at my very close friends memorial service. He died of complications of alcoholism. His life went from great to out of control and then death within 3 years. Astonishing to witness, and unavoidable despite involvement and intervention. This is what I talked to those gathered about. Alcoholism (you can substitute suicide in such a talk) was the 800 pound gorilla in the room that we all wanted to talk about, but couldn't. We all felt empty, we felt cheated, we felt anger, we were bitter. We were disappointed in our friend/brother/father/husband/son who did not stick to recovery. The lies and the broken promises stung us. He is gone but should still be with us. Suicide leaves the same. Our friend/father/husband/son should still be with us, but is gone. It leaves us angry at him, bitter that we can't resolve it, and have a situation that is difficult to work out.

I told all those gathered that mental illness is real. It is as real and as deadly as cancer or heart disease. As a matter of fact, I challenged all there in that if our friend had died of cancer, or of a heart attack, or some other common natural condition that we all would have a different feeling about our friend. We would be sad, we would mourn, but we wouldn't have the anger or resentment. I challenged them all to let that go, to accept that alcoholism and depression are diseases just the same, and accept them as less understood but equally as fatal. I told them all that should the our friend had succumbed to cancer, we'd all think back and talk in terms of "before he got sick, things we great and we did such and such and he was happy and fun to be around". I challenged them to treat this the same way and remember our friend "before he got sick".

Suicide is no different in my observations. To let go fo the anger and negativity, those close need to remember the person "before they were sick". It doesn't solve everything, but it starts a path to some resolution and peace of mind for those left to deal with the aftermath.

It is a sad situation, no matter how you try to deal with it.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 05/02/19
A very good friend shot himself this time of year, 1987.
We were seniors, he was a smart good looking guy.
Happy, popular, signed up to go into the Air Force that summer.
Couldnt wait to get started on his new career.

Left the house early the first morning of Turkey season, did it 200 yards from the house,
with a deer rifle. (Illegal for turkeys here)

32 years later, it still upsets me. No note, still can't guess why.
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

Left the house early the first morning of Turkey season, did it 200 yards from the house,

Sorry to hear that. Had a friend named David Ellis, school, then played ball against him in high school. Guy was always upbeat, one of my favorites, then one day he turned dark for no apparent reason. After he killed himself, I learned that his father and a brother had done the same. Depression, hereditary, it took a happy upbeat guy, then hit like a dark storm.
Posted By: 1OntarioJim Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 05/02/19
On the subject of depression I had a very close friend who became depressed. His house was paid for, a good long term marriage and children. At some point he talked to me and said he was seeing a psychiatrist for his problem. During our discussion I asked him what prompted him to get help. He said it happened when he found himself contemplating suicide.

Today he is in good shape and enjoying a well deserved retirement. He has told me that on occasion he goes through a few dark hours but he falls back on suggestions his doctor gave him while he was receiving treatment many years ago and brings himself out of it. I used to see him almost daily at the time he was having problems and had absolutely no idea of his problems.

Some people can get out of it, some not. Not for me to judge.

Jim
Originally Posted by hatari

The same empty and angry feeling lingers after the death of a loved one or someone close to alcoholism. Alcoholism is often seen as self induced just like suicide. It leaves people with resentment, bitterness and anger that is difficult to let go of or resolve.

A few weeks ago I was given the privilege of giving the eulogy at my very close friends memorial service. He died of complications of alcoholism. His life went from great to out of control and then death within 3 years. Astonishing to witness, and unavoidable despite involvement and intervention. This is what I talked to those gathered about. Alcoholism (you can substitute suicide in such a talk) was the 800 pound gorilla in the room that we all wanted to talk about, but couldn't. We all felt empty, we felt cheated, we felt anger, we were bitter. We were disappointed in our friend/brother/father/husband/son who did not stick to recovery. The lies and the broken promises stung us. He is gone but should still be with us. Suicide leaves the same. Our friend/father/husband/son should still be with us, but is gone. It leaves us angry at him, bitter that we can't resolve it, and have a situation that is difficult to work out.

I told all those gathered that mental illness is real. It is as real and as deadly as cancer or heart disease. As a matter of fact, I challenged all there in that if our friend had died of cancer, or of a heart attack, or some other common natural condition that we all would have a different feeling about our friend. We would be sad, we would mourn, but we wouldn't have the anger or resentment. I challenged them all to let that go, to accept that alcoholism and depression are diseases just the same, and accept them as less understood but equally as fatal. I told them all that should the our friend had succumbed to cancer, we'd all think back and talk in terms of "before he got sick, things we great and we did such and such and he was happy and fun to be around". I challenged them to treat this the same way and remember our friend "before he got sick".

Suicide is no different in my observations. To let go fo the anger and negativity, those close need to remember the person "before they were sick". It doesn't solve everything, but it starts a path to some resolution and peace of mind for those left to deal with the aftermath.

Very nice, I'm going to copy that down, should the need ever arise. Thank you.
Posted By: LouisB Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 05/02/19
For those facing terminal illness, I say it is their choice.

For all the others I am just sorry the whatever it was, that made suicide seemed to be the solution.

Not much on church kinda stuff, but I seem to remember reading somewhere

"Judge not lest ye be judged"
Posted By: watch4bear Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 05/02/19
For those facing terminal illness, I say it is their choice.

What if its just the depression talking?
Posted By: kamo_gari Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 05/02/19
Its a pisser.

To me, well, it truly depends on the situation. A former 7th grade biology teacher of mine--and literally thousands of other youngsters over the years-- in an International school overseas took his life after dozens of women came forward to detail being raped and molested by him as children in his care over a period of more than 30 years as trusted teacher. The victims were aged between 11 and 15 at the time of their abuse. That animal taking his own life as the authorities began the process of bringing hundreds of charges against him, an admitted sex crimina and serial predator wasn't chickenshyt? To me, anyway, that's exactly what it was. A final cowardly act. YMMV
Posted By: Higginez Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 05/02/19

Great post man.
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
Its a pisser.

To me, well, it truly depends on the situation. A former 7th grade biology teacher of mine--and literally thousands of other youngsters over the years-- in an International school overseas took his life after dozens of women came forward to detail being raped and molested by him as children in his care over a period of more than 30 years as trusted teacher. The victims were aged between 11 and 15 at the time of their abuse. That animal taking his own life as the authorities began the process of bringing hundreds of charges against him, an admitted sex crimina and serial predator wasn't chickenshyt? To me, anyway, that's exactly what it was. A final cowardly act. YMMV

That's not depression, that is shame and cowardice. In other words, had he not been caught, he would still be alive today.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 05/02/19
Caucasian males are in the thick of it these days.

In the conversation about suicide, it is important to note that the group of people most at risk are middle aged white men between the ages of 45 and 54. In fact, 70% of suicides happen among white middle aged men.

https://reliasacademy.com/rls/store/suicide-epidemic-and-how-to-prevent-suicide
Posted By: 19352012 Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 05/02/19
I've only known one person who committed suicide. It was his Mother's fault. She was a terrible human.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 05/02/19
I never knew anyone that did that shït. Most all my friends and family have their heads screwed on straight.

As for the ptsd thing, lots of people have that. I don't know of any firefighters, paramedics or rescue squad personnel that have seen some real depressing stuff milking any govt entity for $4k a month like Bob on the Fob.
Originally Posted by Bristoe

In the conversation about suicide, it is important to note that the group of people most at risk are middle aged white men between the ages of 45 and 54. In fact, 70% of suicides happen among white middle aged men.

Doesn't surprise me. You know in baseball when a player get the yips, or "the thing", when they lose the ability to throw a baseball to first base without air-mailing it into the stands?

My bud tells me there is a saying in Major League baseball, "the thing don't speak Spanish" . Not one case of a Black player or Latin player getting a case of the yips, it's a white thing. Something different about the white brain...in my Al Campanas moment.
There used to be a guy on here always telling people to go suckstart a glock, I have a hunch he ended up sucking one. Irony.
Posted By: 16bore Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 05/02/19
Mental illness is real.
Posted By: 270jrk Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 05/02/19
Hatari, thanks for your thoughts on the matter, very powerful stuff for anyone willing to listen. Mental illness is absolutely an illness!
Posted By: P_Weed Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 05/02/19
The first death that devastated me was my best friend when we in our late teens.
A suicide, and the loss far overshadowed the fatal means employed.
Acceptance of his death was to be a long ways off.

Through the decades that followed, there have been many more suicides and I've
never really understood the whys or the wherefores - but I've never felt any anger, or
anything other than sadness for the loss of a loved one and friend.

I think the word is 'empathy' - I don't understand but I can accept.
Posted By: Jericho Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 05/02/19
I have known 4 people that committed suicide in my lifetime, nothing prepares you for the shock of being told that they are gone, followed by anger, grief, etc. you have no idea what is going through another persons mind and I have decided to remember them for the good times I had with them and not judge them for the decision they made.
Posted By: hookeye Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 05/02/19
Yup, some suicides might be mistakes.
Others not.

Some are quite logical and when a person says they've had enough I can respect that.

May not like it. May not agree. And may hurt like hell for losing them...........but I can respect it.

Demons? Literal or figuratively............maybe.

The Good Book warns of becoming weary.
I think quite a few today have just had enough.
And leave.

Loss is bad.
Think the feeling of abandonment worse.

Unfortunately a lot of good people self exit.
The truly piece of chit people................they like to stick around and spread their misery.
If a great guy is gone (by suicide or other)..........consider yourself blessed to have known them and have a good beer in remembrance.
Posted By: Morewood Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 05/02/19
His name was Jeff. He was an avid salmon fisherman and bird hunter and father to two children. His wife had an affair and he knew about it.

Their marriage had been on the rocks for several months and he came over to drink beer and talk in my garage.

We bullshitted for hours. Me telling him the most important thing is the kids and that there are a lot of fish in the ocean to find a good woman and it's time to move on and let his wife go.

The next morning he shot his wife sleeping in bed 6 times with his 357 revolver. Reloaded and put one through his skull.

I'll never figure it out.

This was 25 years ago. I got the call from his boy crying for me to come over and the bedroom was something I hope to never see again.

Jeff would've had 4 grandchildren right now.

Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 05/02/19
Seems to me there’s better ways to off oneself than a bullet. Yech what a mess.

Everyone has a breaking point I suppose.

Some just break easier than others

And I agree that mental illness is not much different than cancer. Ain’t like those folks, well most anyway, asked for it.

My condolences to the folks on here that have lost loved ones, no matter the means of their departure
Posted By: 79S Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 05/02/19
Growing up on the rez the preferred method of doing the deed was hanging themselves. They go get good and drunk, find a good juniper tree and string themselves up. Usually when they were found those green juniper branches be bent and they would be touching the ground.. some would do it with a rifle..
Originally Posted by slumlord
There used to be a guy on here always telling people to go suckstart a glock, I have a hunch he ended up sucking one. Irony.

The way that all played out - and knowing him, personally, I seriously doubt that.
I believe heart attack, stroke, aneurism, or similar.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 05/02/19
Learned to accept suicide back on March 26th. 1970.....

4 AM in the morning... I cut down my 16yr old brother's body from a rope in the basement...

no one saw it coming... I think it was just a teenage depression thing...

makes one grow up fast, that's for damn sure...

it didn't make me sad, so much as it made me angry at God for a long time...

in retrospect a lot of little things contributed to it..

he had just turned 16, 6 weeks earlier....I still have his dependent I.D. card, the last picture taken of him three days earlier...
Originally Posted by Jericho
I have known 4 people that committed suicide in my lifetime, nothing prepares you for the shock of being told that they are gone,.

Ive never really been shocked, but I was in certain disbelief when told that one particular person I knew had done it.

He was outgoing, kind, generous, successful business, good wife, grown-up kIds doing well, enjoying his hobbies..

I truly didn't believe it at first.

He was hiding it very well, then he just spiralled way way down.

One can keep building up the dam wall more and more to hold back the problem-maintaining a pretence, then one day
the artificial banks can burst with dramatic catastrophic results.

but all humans eventually die for one reason or another because something in them fails,
be it their mind, their hope or will to live, immune system , organs, etc. ..but there are stigmatisms attached to certain
causes of death, some more so than others.

On the bright side, Rat poison, bullet or jumping off a bridge may be better than yrs of destructive drinking and drugging
ones way to an eventual end, considering all the grief and cost one causes to society in the lingering drawn out process.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 05/02/19

Doesn't surprise me. You know in baseball when a player get the yips, or "the thing", when they lose the ability to throw a baseball to first base without air-mailing it into the stands?

My bud tells me there is a saying in Major League baseball, "the thing don't speak Spanish" . Not one case of a Black player or Latin player getting a case of the yips, it's a white thing. Something different about the white brain...in my Al Campanas moment.

Pedro Alverez?
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 05/02/19

And it’s gonna get worse. As a schoolteacher in many ways I get to witness the cutting edge of societal trends. I feel for young men today because men and fathers are being written out of the script. It ain’t no surprise that it was Eve that got conned by the snake, women have always been the more suggestible sex.

Now women are being told they don’t need husbands or even men in their lives, and birthrates are plummeting anyway. Most colleges are majority female now, we’re “succeeding” with women, but having a family and motherhood ain’t high on these gitls’ list of priorities.

A lot of guys find themselves cut off from their kids, if they have any at all, and They’re getting it hammered into their head from a early age that everything they naturally are as men is “toxic”,

Ain’t no secret around here that I myself recently got hammered by a divorce. But I was lucky, by the time it happened I had raised a son and have a granddaughter and still get to be a father and grandfather to both.

On top of that, what I do for a living surrounds me with hundreds of people a day, I don’t have time to dwell upon my own problems.

But if I was stuck in a job I didn’t particularly care for at which I could never excel, seeing just the same few people every day. If I was forced to pay child support for a kid living in someone else’s home, said household headed by another man or lesbian and/or a woman who despised me. Or maybe worse, if I had no one at all, Then life would be truly dismal, with no light visible at the end of the tunnel. THAT is the situation a whole bunch of men find themselves in today.

Women suicides are gonna pick up too, when all those women facing old age realize how empty their lives are.

JMHO.
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
.. It ain’t no surprise that it was Eve that got conned by the snake, women have always been the more suggestible sex.

It took the extremely capable craft and guile of the serpent to fool Eve, but only a woman to get Adam to eat of the forbidden fruit.

Adam was not condemned for being deceived by the serpent, but for believing his wife instead of what God had told him.

(Genesis 3:17)

To Adam He [God] said;

"Because you listened to your wife and ate from the tree about which I commanded you, 'You must not eat of it,'
"Cursed is the ground because of you;
through painful toil you will eat of it all the days of your life."
Posted By: Paul_M Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 05/02/19
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

Sorry to hear that. Had a friend named David Ellis, school, then played ball against him in high school. Guy was always upbeat, one of my favorites, then one day he turned dark for no apparent reason. After he killed himself, I learned that his father and a brother had done the same. Depression, hereditary, it took a happy upbeat guy, then hit like a dark storm.

When I was in HS a kid hung himself in a tree in his back yard. Come to fine out several years earlier his older brother had also hung himself in that same tree. No one saw it coming. He always seemed like a regular kid with no problems.
Posted By: cs2blue Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 05/02/19
Unfortunately when arrive at this decision it is the one option that solves all of their problems.Once they decide on this action there is no stopping them. If the intention known, you can delay it but not stop them. Their view is one dimensional and they do not see the effects of those who are close to them. Those near to the person are deeply hurt and cannot understand it. The blame they carry is huge. I have seen it many times and there are no words I can muster to lesson the pain they feel. It is a selfish thing, only humans are capable of this act.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 05/02/19
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

Good post Barkoff.

So why are so many of you so hateful about dude's suck dudes cocks? You need to realize a lot more about homosexuality than you do.

You boys have all bought in the ongoing liberal onslaught, basically EVERY [bleep] thing is a disease and nothing anyone does is their fault, except guns, guns are at fault for most things.

Understanding and tolerance are overrated, but they are California chick'ish.
I had a geometry teacher who was a really good teacher. Nice guy, always willing to listen and had a passion for teaching.
He had lost his only son to a hang glider accident a few years earlier, but he remained a good guy.
Got the new report that he had chased his wife onto the front lawn, naked, and killed her, then shot himself. No reason was ever found that I am aware of. No affair was mentioned, no scandals, no clue, just seemed to snap.
Junior high school issues seemed pretty lame after the news arrived. Everyone was shocked.
Posted By: sawdust1957 Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 05/02/19
Posted By: KSMITH Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 05/02/19
Morally, I am against it but I have come to realize it is better to remove yourself from the gene pool before you harm others. In other words, go shoot yourself and leave innocent people alone, especially the kids.

I am no psychiatrist but I have always thought suicide is a solution for weak minded people. Just like the ones who run off to join a cult. You will notice that our greater minds never shacked up with Charles Manson, David Koresh etc... Seems it was always people who never belonged and couldn't fit in. I have had some major lows in my life and have lost everything 3 times, never had more than a smartassed passing reflection about killing myself. Like, "this would be a good point to blow my brains out because no one would ask why".
Posted By: cs2blue Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 05/02/19
Once I was on a call for suicidal female. I was talking to her trying to calm her down so that we could take her to the hospital for a emergency psychological eval. She was a drug addict and had a young daughter. Father was unknown and she was at her rock bottom. She told one thing that I have never forgotten when asked why she wanted to harm herself. ' I am afraid of living, I am not afraid of dying" That statement has never left my memory. The human condition is so complex! I have often said it is the most interesting and frustrating part of my job.
Posted By: 338Rem Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 05/02/19

Good point, different head.
Posted By: Calvin Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 05/02/19
Recently had a kid who I raised as a foster kid for four years to suicide. I mourned for a few days but ultimately it was his decision and his alone. He had been threatening to kill himself since age 7 when I first met him. He was in his 20s living back in his place of birth. Most of you saw pics of him with bears deer etc when he was a kid.

Suicide seems to be passed on in certain families and cultures.
Posted By: Calvin Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 05/02/19
To the OP, at funerals everyone is going to a better place and everyone is a good guy. Funerals don't seem to be a place for the truth.
Posted By: comerade Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 05/02/19
It is a very sad situation. It seems to be more evident all the time. Some prescription drugs are depressive as a side effect, booze can be a depressant.
I think inactivity is a trigger and egocentricity.
I honestly believe the best thing a guy can do is pray, read scripture, go to church and get exercise- and get a saddle horse
Everyone has got to find this on there own, however.
Yup, I have had friends and family do this.
God Bless
Originally Posted by Calvin
To the OP, at funerals everyone is going to a better place and everyone is a good guy. Funerals don't seem to be a place for the truth.

That's because funerals are for the living Not the dead
Posted By: killerv Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 05/02/19
I wonder if there is something to it being hereditary. A buddy's grandfather several years back sold him the family farm for a dollar, after that, he went out to find his grandfather hanging from one of the trees a few weeks later. His father killed himself last year. Must be something to live with knowing your grandfather and father committed suicide.

Never had anyone close to me do it, mostly family members you may see once in a blue moon at a reunion or something. Had a good buddy who overdosed a few years back, no note was left so we weren't very sure if it was one or not, he had just gotten a divorce.

Our local BPS seems to be a popular place to do it. Law enforcement told me multiple people have off'd themselves in the parking lot since it opened. I guess they just want to make sure they are found quickly.
There more lies told at funerals than deer camp.
Posted By: BangPop Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 05/02/19

Yes Calvin, you are correct. I have read with great interest the responses in this thread, including the douche that threatened to rip my f.....ing face off. I empathize with those poor souls who are depressed and are in a bad place in their lives. I have spent my entire professional life helping people make it through, what for most of them, is the greatest risk they will ever experience in their life. I take care of cardiac surgery patients while they are on the life support devices in surgery. It's a weekly thing to see families broken apart by the stress of the potential loss of a loved one or a death. I have seen children at odds with step mothers or fathers fighting to want to treat a hopeless end stage situation when the spouse wants to let the patient pass. I know all about all that chit.
Those of you who have said I don't know what is inside a suicide victims head are right, I don't know. What I do know is that by their action they have escaped their demons and quite possibly burdened those who they left behind with demons of their own. If you would have asked the young fishing guide that I referenced earlier if he would take his 12 year old son down by the river and killed him I'm sure he would have bristled and sad no way in hell. But by doing himself in he has set a precedent and provided and example to the young man of how to escape your problems. Ten or twenty years later the son may be having marital problems and go down to that same river and shoot himself leaving a wife and a couple of kids. And the cycle goes on and on.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 05/02/19
Sounds like our prison system.
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 05/02/19
Depression is a scary deadly disease. It makes you think those around you including your own kids would be better off with out you. If you have an unsupportive spouse that makes you feel the same way it can be hard at times to fight though it and hold on. I've had friends and family that have ended it and in doing so transferred their pain to those around them. Crappy deal and hard to understand unless you've faced severe depression yourself. I can tell you that having extreme chronic pain that has kept me awake for weeks at a time has put me in some bad places. I fight for my kids the same way I would if I was defending them personally.

Bb
Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 05/02/19

Lordy there’s some truth ^

Friend killed him self back in our thirties, had pistol whipped his gf, she called cops so he went out in the yard and used said pistol to end his problems

At the funeral I needed to peek into the casket to make sure the preacher was talking about the same guy

They asked friends to speak, but I declined, his parents didn’t need to hear about what a rake and rogue he was. They knew in their hearts. Him and I had some fun times going on Bender’s

Hit me hard cause I’d chewed his azz a few days earlier about a paint job he’d done on a vehicle for us Felt guilty about it.

Had to be left alone for a few days just doing mindless physical labor.

He was an only child, felt bad for his folks
Theys a lot of depressed people at Bingo parlors. If you go bingo before they do, they ready to kill you and themselves.

Good post Barkoff.

So why are so many of you so hateful about dude's suck dudes cocks? You need to realize a lot more about homosexuality than you do.

You boys have all bought in the ongoing liberal onslaught, basically EVERY [bleep] thing is a disease and nothing anyone does is their fault, except guns, guns are at fault for most things.

Only Scott can come along and inject sucking dick and California into a thread on suicide. You see Scott, that is why so many around here love and respect you, you stink to your core.
Posted By: There_Ya_Go Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 05/02/19
Some great posts here on a very difficult subject. Not to over-generalize, but I wonder if the lack of reverence for life in today's society is a contributing factor. People are told that before they are born, they are just a glob of "fetal tissue". Post-partum abortion is being cheered on by certain politicians. It's not difficult to see how this kind of culture could contribute to someone with depression thinking of their life as not having any value. Certainly not the entire explanation, but it can't help.
Originally Posted by There_Ya_Go
Some great posts here on a very difficult subject. Not to over-generalize, but I wonder if the lack of reverence for life in today's society is a contributing factor. People are told that before they are born, they are just a glob of "fetal tissue". Post-partum abortion is being cheered on by certain politicians. It's not difficult to see how this kind of culture could contribute to someone with depression thinking of their life as not having any value. Certainly not the entire explanation, but it can't help.

I think this is why we see so many troubled youth, think about it. When we were growing up we were happy, encouraged that life was ours for the getting, Sky was the limit, compare that to the message the left has instilled into today’s youth.
Posted By: ldholton Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 05/02/19

Yes Calvin, you are correct. I have read with great interest the responses in this thread, including the douche that threatened to rip my f.....ing face off. I empathize with those poor souls who are depressed and are in a bad place in their lives. I have spent my entire professional life helping people make it through, what for most of them, is the greatest risk they will ever experience in their life. I take care of cardiac surgery patients while they are on the life support devices in surgery. It's a weekly thing to see families broken apart by the stress of the potential loss of a loved one or a death. I have seen children at odds with step mothers or fathers fighting to want to treat a hopeless end stage situation when the spouse wants to let the patient pass. I know all about all that chit.
Those of you who have said I don't know what is inside a suicide victims head are right, I don't know. What I do know is that by their action they have escaped their demons and quite possibly burdened those who they left behind with demons of their own. If you would have asked the young fishing guide that I referenced earlier if he would take his 12 year old son down by the river and killed him I'm sure he would have bristled and sad no way in hell. But by doing himself in he has set a precedent and provided and example to the young man of how to escape your problems. Ten or twenty years later the son may be having marital problems and go down to that same river and shoot himself leaving a wife and a couple of kids. And the cycle goes on and on.

Well well can to call me names to my face ?? You want to lump all suicide victims a chickenshit. That's a pretty big lumping without knowing the facts and what was behind the history of that I would trade a little more lightly. You make some very valid points on certain things but the lumping all them victims as chicken s**** is not a very good idea that's a real douchebag idea

Well well can to call me names to my face ?? You want to lump all suicide victims a chickenshit. That's a pretty big lumping without knowing the facts and what was behind the history of that I would trade a little more lightly. You make some very valid points on certain things but the lumping all them victims as chicken s**** is not a very good idea that's a real douchebag idea

You seem like you're a bit mentally unstable. Have you contemplated suicide.
Posted By: Raeford Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 05/02/19
Life is precious.....
Wife lost her only brother to auto accident caused by a DD at 17years of age, only sister to brain cancer at 45 years of age, father to massive heart attack the day after he retired, one grandmother and a 5 day old nephew on the same day, one grandfather to a accidental hunting-falling down incident.

Life is precious....
So many ways to exit
Posted By: oldtrapper Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 05/02/19
When things go bad in a person's head they can lose all discernment. It's terrible, but I am not as judgey as I used to be.
Posted By: Armednfree Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 05/02/19

People generally do what they think is best for them and those they love. That belief may be seriously distorted but that is how it lays.
Posted By: efw Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 05/02/19
Love this clip from a biographical movie on Martin Luther:
As mentioned, 70% of America's suicides are Caucasian males,....with the largest increase occurring in middle age.

It's not hard to understand. Working and middle class Americans have largely had the rug pulled out from under them. Caucasian males in America is the only group which isn't provided with a government funded safety net. A Caucasian male with a wife and 2 kids making $20 an hour is going to have a damn tough time paying $1200 a month for health insurance, $1000 a month for rent and $250 a month for a car that's reliable enough to carry him back and forth to work. That's before you figure in clothes, utilities, food, car insurance, and the typical costs associated with day to day living.

Bottom line,..the ends just don't meet for a lot of middle aged Caucasian men in America today. Some man gets laid off,..his car motor blows up, he's just fugged. There's a *lot* of people in America today living from paycheck to paycheck,..with nothing to fall back on. And the government isn't going to bail you out if you're a Caucasian male.

An illegal has more access to government social programs than a Caucasian male citizen.
Even if programs were available, doubt it'd change the feeling of failure.
Originally Posted by hookeye
Even if programs were available, doubt it'd change the feeling of failure.

That's true also.
Lolol....a pissed off perfusionist? Who da thunk it?

If I was a perfusionist I’d kill myself too....What a chitty way to scrounge out a living.....his anger and ignorance all makes perfect sense in light of the new evidence. 😂
Posted By: 30Gibbs Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 05/02/19

I'm not sure how someone can jump off a building or someplace like Hoover dam. crazy

The few that survived jumping off of the Golden Gate Bridge stated that they regretted doing it as soon as their feet left the steel .....
Posted By: T_O_M Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 05/02/19

In my family those would be lies to somehow whitewash the character of the deceased. My grandmother died a decade or so ago and we had a memorial / celebration of life the following summer. I told my father and aunt that by no means should they force me to speak else what I spoke would be the truth, not the pretty lies. They got the hint. She was a cold, cruel person who found her greatest joy inflicting emotional pain on people who wished to love and respect her. I don't believe she ever took a sober breath after grandpa died in '68. The best times she and I ever had were near the end when dementia took over and she forgot to be cruel. Of course, she started mistaking me for grandpa about then and I heard some things that you don't want to imagine regarding your grandparents ... way way way TMI. smile I could have spoken at my mom's service in '92. I will not paint her as an angel, just as a caring mom who did her best. Not much more you can ask of anyone. And I could have told some pretty funny stories.

My advice .. be the person you want to be remembered as. Live it, don't just talk it, and don't count on others to lie for you.

Tom
Lose a friend, job/career, kid or wife...............any of those alone, or in combination..............the emotional and financial costs can be huge.
Even a sane person making it through all that crap, can see the writing on the wall.

Only have so much time and money.

Some play congress and kick the can down the road.
Others draw a line and when it's hit............check out.

Not everybody thinks the same way. And just because somebody thinks differently, that doesn't mean they're F'd up or depressed.
Interesting about lies at funerals.
Not been to one like that.

Most have been by preacher, deceased went to that church.
Pretty run of the mill stuff.
Focus on the living, what they need to do.

Been to some where folks spoke..........but the dead folks were actually good people, so some good/funny stories told.
Which is not a bad thing.

Funerals are for the living. It's just a family reunion -1.
If the dead person had a good life...........was a believer.............it shouldn't be that freakin' sad.

Dread going to my mom or my dad's funerals.
There will be some stupid stuff said. Hate having to deal w idiots. Emotional upset should not give them a pass.
Just plant em and move on.

My dad in failing health and talks a lot about his arrangements.
Not a religious person.
Seems way out of context.
Like who gives a flip about a coffin or tombstone.
His brother died 10 yrs or more ago, and he hasn't visited the grave once.
Waste of friggin' $.

Maybe if churchy, a pillar of the community, had a big extended family.............

but not for a handful of folks.

Scam, the funeral industry.

The ol lady's grandparents blew big bucks on fancy caskets and stone...........they had the $ too.
Underground..................who gives a flip about what hardware or wood was used.

It's a box.

Sink it and let everybody have a party.

I think this is why we see so many troubled youth, think about it. When we were growing up we were happy, encouraged that life was ours for the getting, Sky was the limit, compare that to the message the left has instilled into today’s youth.

Interesting concept to consider.Boomer grew up with the American Dream as the ideal. The idea that we could go further and achieve more than our parents generation. Hard work and industry were the keys. There were was to get ahead and live a good life and make a better one for your kids. By and large, Boomers bought into it and managed as a whole to achieve.

Millennials are fed bunk that there is no way to get ahead unless the gov't helps you and that America sux and is the root of all evil. Makes me wonder how that plays one their psyche.
Millennials have half arsed it and been told they're wonderful.
When they figure out they've bought into the lie............they crumble.

They were lied to, but also lied to themselves.
Cornerstone of character is telling the truth.

Dishonest people are miserable people.
Originally Posted by AcesNeights

If I was a perfusionist I’d kill myself too....What a chitty way to scrounge out a living.....his anger and ignorance all makes perfect sense in light of the new evidence. 😂

This has been a informative and enlightening thread. When you can add something of value you should stop back by.
Posted By: burner Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 05/02/19
Yeah, trust me, the demons can be the same. Sometimes the demons even contribute to the suicide. Don't judge a life or a marriage.

with me yes

Agreed, just saying that folks would be pissed at a guy that abandons his child for another chick or decides to suck cock, but he's a hero if abandons his child with a 38 through the temple.

Funny that 'you don't know what demons' doesn't work for infidelity, catching the gay and a lot of other shiet, but 'we're' ok with it when there's a hose pipe through the window.
Posted By: sawbuck Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 05/02/19

When you are suicidally depressed, the mind is a terrible thing.
Posted By: hanco Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 05/02/19
Some people don’t realize how good life is. They make bad choices that bring on their unhappiness. They blame life for the bad things,so they end their lives to stop all the sorry situations they have created.

[Linked Image]

You seem like you're a bit mentally unstable. Have you contemplated suicide.
lol your a fool. with all your ranting and writing I bet you're the one that's had a Glock stuck in his mouth why don't you go ahead and finish the job

This has been a informative and enlightening thread. When you can add something of value you should stop back by.

I already have but I’d not expect the dumbest person in the operating room to understand it. Your analogy is hollow and your experience is worthless, just like your unthought-out opinion on suicide.....but don’t let your ignorance slow you down champ, it’s obviously been your faithful companion thus far. 😂

I’m sure you can feign more indignance while you play mental tiddlywinks over a topic you’re obviously clueless about. Work up some more false anger and keep painting with the broad brush of ignorance. 👍
a topic you’re obviously clueless about.

He's just looking for answers. Do you have the answer? If so, let him in on the solution.
Posted By: killerv Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 05/02/19
Heck of a song about the subject

"He lies awake
With saddened eyes
Sleeping babies
Keeping him alive"

Posted By: 19352012 Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 05/02/19
We live in a world filled with hurting people. Look at all the anger and hatred in this thread. These are all hurting people who are lashing out from their pain and need answers.

okay I have backed up and reread this very slow a few times I may have taken his original posting wrong I was under the understanding that he was calling anyone who committed suicide a chickenshit. I know nothing of these cases he is speaking of and have no knowledge of them. I know a few people who have committed suicide and we're in no way or form any kind of a chickenshit. A lot of good people will commit suicide when I try to keep too much emotion built up inside and not have a breakdown explosion or otherwise.
having been through a few cases of this a few times I still do not understand it myself we will never fully understand it if a person is serious about getting their self out of this world there is not one thing you will ever do to stop it. the best thing you can do in the aftermath is step in with lots of love understanding and compassion with who is left and you may be the worst son of a b**** on the face of the Earth for a while to someone as they are hurting and do not really mean that they just don't know who to blame it just takes time and you have to understand none of that was anybody's fault but their own person that did that.
if I misunderstood the Opie's original post I do apologize to him for being a bit harsh

It runs both ways. My millennial children hate what thier generation is reputed to be. They are condemned from your mouth, just because of when they were born. Would you care to be slandered every waking hour of your Existence, because of a date on a calendar?
My kids are both EMTs, one went military, the other into the fire service. Neither is lazy, stupid, weak. But they are maligned each and every day. What kind of stress does that add to thier burdens?
You don't know what kind of troubles these men had, if you did, perhaps you would be more understanding.

Perfusionist?

I’ll be right back.
Maligned? Geeesh. I dont feel sorry for them as a group. Most of them suck. But then ....it wouldnt take much effort to break out and be a superstar. Instead of whining about it....maybe seize the opportunity.
IMHO if one is worried about what society thinks....real or that fake social media chit.....they havent got the focus to be successful....and deserve whatever stress it gets em. Social media has no power unless folks let it. People need to chill and get out and do stuff....knock off that fake living crap. Twitter....Instagram....Facebook......friggin poisons
Posted By: deflave Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 05/02/19
Funny fugkn' schit on this thread.

Perfusionist?

I’ll be right back.

Lolol...😁

They run the bypass machine during heart surgery. Generally great people......I just don’t think they’re breadth of experience is as deep as Banger’s imagination. He’s welcome to his animosity towards people he doesn’t know. I’ll choose a different approach. 😁
Posted By: Barkoff Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 05/03/19

Perfusionist?

I’ll be right back.

Lolol...😁

They run the bypass machine during heart surgery. Generally great people......I just don’t think they’re breadth of experience is as deep as Banger’s imagination. He’s welcome to his animosity towards people he doesn’t know. I’ll choose a different approach. 😁

I looked it up, question is, how do you know what a perfusionist is, was there a time you needed his services?
Posted By: kellory Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 05/03/19

Well there is now that you showed up. Personally, I thought it was the dog.... wink
Posted By: Starman Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 05/03/19

Hmmm...got me wondering, if a man left his long cherished and favorite deer rifle to his son, but used it to scatter his brains
before it got inherited, can one still feel comfortable hunting with it? ..

one bad incident should not ruin all the other good memories and special sentimental place in ones heart
that rifle holds? ..

One would have to take it, even if it just means the [bleep] vulture brother-inlaw not getting it , grin
Posted By: Tom264 Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 05/03/19
Originally Posted by kellory

Well there is now that you showed up. Personally, I thought it was the dog.... wink

Same smell
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 05/03/19
Slumlord tricked me into his food bank con job back a couple months ago.

Few days ago he tried to get me to crash a funeral home service and see if their was anything to eat...

I got to thinking about that.
Buncha people in em
Who knows who is who at one of those.

Some of the schit he comes up with.

Hahaha!!!!
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 05/03/19

Good post Barkoff.

Only Scott can come along and inject sucking dick and California into a thread on suicide. You see Scott, that is why so many around here love and respect you, you stink to your core.

Jus

Good post Barkoff.

Just trying to appease YOU and your Californian and LEFT coast brothers.

Again, if one mental instability makes one a hero and another a deviant, don't you think it's hypocritical? Rhetorical of course, because you're too stupid to make the connection. I'm surprised you aren't from Indiana.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 05/03/19

It runs both ways. My millennial children hate what thier generation is reputed to be. They are condemned from your mouth, just because of when they were born. Would you care to be slandered every waking hour of your Existence, because of a date on a calendar?
My kids are both EMTs, one went military, the other into the fire service. Neither is lazy, stupid, weak. But they are maligned each and every day. What kind of stress does that add to thier burdens?

Makes no more sense than ragging on people for where they live.
Originally Posted by 5sdad

Makes no more sense than ragging on people for where they live.

So you're good with sending $10,000 to the Brady Campaign? That's what living in liberal shietholes is. You don't help, you hurt with every dollar you give to those anti-American's in tax dollars.

Posted By: Judman Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 05/03/19

Good post Barkoff.

At least twice you’ve talked cock talk in this thread alone you sick cuunt... go to the dr. See a mental health professional, help is available....

with me yes

And again...... just fuucking wow....
Originally Posted by Judman

with me yes

And again...... just fuucking wow....

Sorry to pick over old wounds. Just based on the PM your wife sent me. I realize it might hurt, but if it saves one life, it's worth it. Well, maybe.

Good post Barkoff.

At least twice you’ve talked cock talk in this thread alone you sick cuunt... go to the dr. See a mental health professional, help is available....

Amazing how you gravitate towards cock. Say hey to the sausage stuffer, you wrestling/ringworn infested f a g.
Butt hurt cause your brother took the only piece of azz you ever got....
Scooter, you miserable scuzzy cuunt, take ricks advice and put me on ignore...
Scooter, you miserable scuzzy cuunt, take ricks advice and put me on ignore...

Jud, you LIBERAL, anti-American POS, take the country's advice and jump off a bridge. You're enjoy guns being destroyed over an auction, why? Cuzz you are the product of a single, west coast slut.
Butt hurt cause your brother took the only piece of azz you ever got....

You're just pizzed cuzz Freddie got to his daughter before you, but I'm sure he tasted it on his cock.

PS: How many cocks did your slut, single mother suck?
You brother up or sister sucking you up????? Which was it scooter??
Posted By: BobMt Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 05/03/19

do you guys ….sh and jud,.....know each other or just on the internet?...…...just wondering...….bob
Originally Posted by BobMt

do you guys ….sh and jud,.....know each other or just on the internet?...…...just wondering...….bob

I know Judd's mom, but only $20 at a time.
Bob I can only pray I brush elbows with the sick fuuck, watch him shake and squirm the the cowardly cuunt he is, just before I bounce his head off the ground.... fuuck, matter of fact I wouldn’t even punch the fuuck..... slap her around like biitch he is...
All the black brothers know scooters mom, or the back of her throat rather....
Bob I can only pray I brush elbows with the sick fuuck, watch him shake and squirm the the cowardly cuunt he is, just before I bounce his head off the ground.... fuuck, matter of fact I wouldn’t even punch the fuuck..... slap her around like biitch he is...

OK, laffin.

She's been dead for years, unlike your whore of a mother turning tricks in Coos Bay.
Coos bay?? You talkin bout liar Larry’s mom now??? We’ve never lived in Oregon, let alone coos bay... your stealthy stalking is lacking...

Did your brother kill her too??? Wtf??
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 05/03/19
I worked in a psych hospital for 5 plus years. Had a chance to see a few suicides and interacted with a lot of severely depressed people. I was over the forensic building for a while. There was 100 beds of criminal population there.

One thing I always found interesting was the way different patients handled it when a suicide happened. The most interesting were the sociopaths. They always had the attitude that the deceased was just a puss or not man enough to hack it. It was also interesting that most sociopaths were rarely if ever suicidal and never sympathetic or empathetic in anyway.

I've seen enough depressed people to know that it is a physiological condition. Although I know there are things depressed people can do to help work through it and I know that making poor decisions can make it worse.

I relate it to diabetes. There are different types and some is preventable but you have to manage it right and make good decisions. Some people are more genetically prone than others but most people can put themselves at risk to some degree by making bad choices.

Problem is there is such a negative stigma to mental health problems and people often don't realize what they've got and what they need to do. And then you've got the tough guy sociopath types telling them they're just wussys and to man up.

A few things to remember if you get down is that industry is the best remedy. Force yourself to get out and do something productive and if it can be service oriented thinking of others and not just yourself helps too. Mental illness has a way of making people focus intensely on themselves and their own problems. It takes a focused intentional effort to break through that so service is good. Also talk to people and get help. There are always brighter days ahead even though it doesn't seem like it at the time.

Bb
Phychotropics and booze don’t mix.... obviously scooter....
Posted By: fredIII Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 05/03/19
Phychotropics and booze don’t mix.... obviously scooter....

He’s angry today. LOL. Stems from having no family and nothing of value in his entire pathetic world.

She's been dead for years, unlike your whore of a mother turning tricks in Coos Bay.

You’ve mistaken jud for your hero. Oh wait!!

JUD! scooter wasn’t able to have a family. 😔.
May have helped if he was interested in females of the human kind. But no such luck. Hint.
Careful Fredrick, she’s putting lipstick on like dude in billy Madison right now!!! 🤣🤣
Careful Fredrick, she’s putting lipstick on like dude in billy Madison right now!!! 🤣🤣

Word is Clinton passed don’t ask don’t tell just for Scott’s boat and crew.
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 05/04/19
Well this thread went all to Hell.

I’ll bet everyone who posted about someone they knew regrets it now.
Posted By: JBabcock Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 07/06/20

There’s some wisdom right here. Thanks.
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 07/06/20
Interesting that you dug up that old thread.
hatari put it as well as I've ever heard it.
It is terrible how the majority of people with mental illness are neglected in this country.
Posted By: cuznguido Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 07/06/20
Mental illness is not the only reason for suicides. I think the power of not wanting to live with whatever the problem is, just outweighs the not wanting to die. Nobody wants to die regardless of what we think. Many people have decided to not live anymore. There is a difference.
Posted By: hookeye Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 07/06/20
Some people just get tired.
Posted By: antlers Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 07/06/20
Originally Posted by cuznguido
I think the power of not wanting to live with whatever the problem is, just outweighs the not wanting to die.
Temporarily so. That’s one of the reasons it’s so tragic...it’s a permanent act to a temporary failure of the coping mechanism.
How do you know the problem is temporary?

My bud had a debilitating illness raging and would be dead within a year so shut it down while he was able to make the call.

Kids raised, finances in order, and within his belief system (we had differing views on that).

Shot himself mid July. Years ago. Was thinking about it.

Had to look up his obit for exact date just a minute ago. Time has lessened the upset and made such details fade.

And yeah, he was a great guy.

Posted By: slumlord Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 07/06/20
When Jesus gets a helicopter, I’ll pop smoke

Verb:
pop smoke (third-person singular simple present pops smoke, present participle popping smoke, simple past and past participle popped smoke)

(military slang) To call for air extract with a smoke grenade.
How do you know the problem is temporary?
Originally Posted by antlers
That’s one of the reasons it’s so tragic...it’s a permanent act to a temporary failure of the coping mechanism.
Maybe it had crossed to where no coping mech could deal with it.
Sorry ‘bout your friend. Sad incident, sad circumstances.
Posted By: Barkoff Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 07/06/20
Well I’ll tell you this straight up, I’ll soldier on through cancer and go out in a morphine stupor, but noway in hell am I going the distance with dementia and having my daughters have to change Dad’s diaper.
Posted By: Armednfree Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 07/06/20

The question I have for you is can you see the rational for someone with a painful debilitating disease ending his own life? Then, can you see how a persistent mental disease can be just as painful and debilitating as a physical disease? I'm sure you can see how a physical disease with no end, and little relief, could destroy someone's will to live. That and the fact that the person see's what his disease is doing to his loved ones.

The fact is that people make the choice they believe is best for them, and their loved ones. That choice is often influenced by the pain they are going through. Pointing out that with physical disease often they often receive understanding, support and love. That being from family, community and church. Yet with mental disease they receive rejection, belittlement, marginalization and despise from these same sources.
Well I’ll tell you this straight up, I’ll soldier on through cancer and go out in a morphine stupor, but noway in hell am I going the distance with dementia and having my daughters have to change Dad’s diaper.

I agree completely.
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 07/06/20
I could see someone that is terminal.

Some are people getting caught doing fugged up schit.
Respected members of the community type of stuff.
Just get a chuckle from those once the Paul Harvey rest of the story is known.

Then ya got the little hometown usa johnny types.
Come to the big army base, get their 1st shot of poontang from some local crew served gal.
Most special thing in the world to him.
No matter what his buds clue him in on....
Obsessed......

He falls instantly in love, marry her maybe...
Usually inside of a couple of months or way less
To make her his, and only his forever....
Then blow their brains out when they realize she is spreading her pizz flaps all over town.

BOOM!!!!
SGLI sweepstakes winner and she moves on....

Happens all the time.

Virginitis...
Deadly ......
Posted By: Mr_Harry Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 07/06/20
Tough topic. Way I see it it’s not for us, but we can have our opinions. It’s between them and their maker. They arranged the meeting.
Originally Posted by killerv
I wonder if there is something to it being hereditary. A buddy's grandfather several years back sold him the family farm for a dollar, after that, he went out to find his grandfather hanging from one of the trees a few weeks later. His father killed himself last year. Must be something to live with knowing your grandfather and father committed suicide.

Never had anyone close to me do it, mostly family members you may see once in a blue moon at a reunion or something. Had a good buddy who overdosed a few years back, no note was left so we weren't very sure if it was one or not, he had just gotten a divorce.

Our local BPS seems to be a popular place to do it. Law enforcement told me multiple people have off'd themselves in the parking lot since it opened. I guess they just want to make sure they are found quickly.

A friend of mine killed himself last Feb. His grandfather and father both killed themselves. Another guy I grew up with shot himself and his mom did the same. I do believe whatever causes it can be inherited.
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 07/06/20
Young people killing themselves might be saddest of all, over three decades I've had a couple of students that killed themselves, and a family member that did too. In every case no one saw it coming. I think if they could see the pain it leaves behind they never woulda done it.
Posted By: dale06 Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 07/07/20
I had a very good friend kill himself in 2002. I saw him often and had no clue there was issues. Turned out that he was in big financial trouble.
He left a wife and two sub teen daughters
I still think about him often.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 07/07/20
If you live in your 60 yr old mother’s basement and she catches you fugging a blow up doll....

You have two choices

Kill yourself
Or
Move to Alaska
Posted By: duck911 Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 07/07/20
yeah bullshit, Depression sucks and when someone turns it all about themselves and does not give a flying [bleep] about the ones they are leaving to deal with it, that pisses me off

You are a MASSIVE fuggin idiot.
Posted By: MIKEWERNER Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 07/07/20
California has open inflatable arms for those.....

If live in your 60 yr old mother’s basement and she catches you fugging a blow up doll....

You have two choices

Kill yourself
Or
Move to Alaska
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 07/07/20
I saw this thread had popped back up.

Learned today a fella I have worked with for several years shot and killed his wife and her friend early yesterday morning.
He then of course shot himself.

“He was a good guy”. He was also an epic piece of murdering schit.
Posted By: hookeye Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 07/07/20
Originally Posted by antlers
Sorry ‘bout your friend. Sad incident, sad circumstances.

Thanks.
I m OK with it now, took a while though.
Better to have known him than not.
So just be thankful I was his friend for 20 yrs.
Shot on Wed. At work about 6 of us got letters from him, on Friday.
Boss handed it to me, corporate mail.
Read it and walked out.

Really messed up a lot of people at work.
Some still upset over it.

July 16th it was.
I should get fuggin hammered that night at the club he played.
People who have never been around (or dealt with) acute depression are talking out of their azz.

It is crippling, and debilitating. There is no "pulling yourself up by the boot straps" or "sucking it up".

It is a deep despair and hopelessness and helplessness that cannot be explained.

Anyone who has not had it, that passes judgement on someone who has experienced depression is the lowest scum.
Posted By: RDW Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 07/07/20
I used to think it was the most selfish act in the world, I said that aloud and even after my own girlfriend in college shot herself in the chest with a 12ga and I went several years thinking if I had only known the pain she had inside I might have been able to help.

She was beautiful, so sweet, soft spoken and a devastating loss to me.

Over time I came to realize the pain is real and they simply cannot stop themselves.

Originally Posted by RDW
I used to think it was the most selfish act in the world, I said that aloud and even after my own girlfriend in college shot herself in the chest with a 12ga and I went several years thinking if I had only known the pain she had inside I might have been able to help.

Over time I came to realize the pain is real and they simply cannot stop themselves.

Sorry to hear that. It is hard to wrap one's head around, in so many ways. Damn.
Posted By: Judman Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 07/07/20
Originally Posted by MadMooner
I saw this thread had popped back up.

Learned today a fella I have worked with for several years shot and killed his wife and her friend early yesterday morning.
He then of course shot himself.

“He was a good guy”. He was also an epic piece of murdering schit.

Locally mooner?
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 07/07/20
Yep. Tacoma.

Wasn’t close with him but talked with him whenever I was in that store and he was working. He’d always go out of his way to come up and say hi and shoot the schit for a minute or two about beer and whatever. I remember he had just gotten married maybe 6-8 months ago. He seemed stoked about it.
Posted By: Judman Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 07/07/20
Fishin par d is a paramedic, guess suicide has really spiked since this covid.
Posted By: xxclaro Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 07/07/20
Originally Posted by RDW

Its definitely a strange thing. I always thought I understood depression. I had days where I felt [bleep] and down, but it never lasted and I always told myself that tomorrow was a new day and things would look better. They usually did, too. A couple years back though, I learned that I'd had no idea what it really was, but I was gonna find out! Not going to bother with a long, detailed description of what it's like, suffice to say I understand perfectly why people do it. It can seem like the most rational and reasonable course of action. You know it will hurt some people but are positive that they will get over it pretty soon and then realize they are far better off without you around. Its quite easy to convince yourself that it's not only a reasonable course of action, but that it's the only reasonable course of action. There is no "screw all of them, I don't care" feeling that many seem to believe in. At least, not for me.

Maybe its hereditary for some people, it definitely does seem that way. I believe mine was caused mostly by diet. I was on a low carb diet and doing intermittent fasting for a couple years when it really got bad. I felt good physically, but mentally I was getting in real rough shape. One day I just admitted to myself that it was going to happen. I didn't exactly want it to, but I knew that if nothing changed, it was coming. I changed my diet a fair bit, started eating more carbs and even a bit of sugar sometimes, as well as taking more B12 and a few other vitamins. Maybe it was coincidence, but within a month or two I was pretty much back to normal, and all those darkness just kinda faded away. I wonder how many other people could really change their mental state just by changing their lifestyle and eating habits.
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 07/07/20
Worst thing that ever happened to me personally so far was the collapse of my marriage, didn’t discuss it at work but I would go out back between classes and weep. That year I thought I had a big red flashing “Train Wreck” sign over my head everywhere I went.

I was stunned the following year that, because I never discussed it, nobody realized anything different. My whole world falling apart and nobody could tell.

Made me realize we know Jack about what’s going on in the heads of those around us we see every day. So I resolved to talk less and listen more.
Posted By: StGeorger Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 07/07/20

...he hadn’t noticed that the light had changed...

And though the news was rather sad,
Well I just had to look . .
Posted By: GRIZZ Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 07/07/20
Originally Posted by Fubarski
Whackin yourself ain't no different than postin on the fire.

Nobody knows what you were thinkin, some wonder what you were thinkin, and others think they understand, but never really will.

Might work out the way ya want, might not.

1/3 of the people will be behind it.

1/3 will think you're an @sshole.

1/3 will post that you're doin it wrong.

If it's Mike Weiner it's @sshole every time...That little fuqking weenie...
Posted By: Mr_Harry Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 07/07/20
Originally Posted by blindshooter

A friend of mine killed himself last Feb. His grandfather and father both killed themselves. Another guy I grew up with shot himself and his mom did the same. I do believe whatever causes it can be inherited.

Never heard anyone else talk about it “running in the family” before these posts. Have an old widow neighbor, she just lost her second kid to it. Lost her husband to it. And her late husband lost either a parent or a sibling or both to it too. I was shocked to hear such a story and consider its source in genetics, but then, clinical depression and brain chemistry would certainly have a base in genetics.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 07/07/20
Could be an insurance policy would fix the family up for life. I can see one doing his self in, but taking the family and even the dog along is too much.

Not talked about much, but we do have assisted suicide available in Oregon. One has to be pretty near the end of his rope. Several steps involved and not frequently discussed.
Posted By: HitnRun Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 07/07/20
Originally Posted by memtb

Maybe so, but the mountain climbers and extreme sports enthusiasts that kill themselves in search of adventure don’t leave much of a legacy, but people worship their dumbness with lots of positive anthologies.
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 07/07/20
Originally Posted by HitnRun
Maybe so, but the mountain climbers and extreme sports enthusiasts that kill themselves in search of adventure don’t leave much of a legacy, but people worship their dumbness with lots of positive anthologies.

To a larger degree than almost any other vertebrate, human societies have sacrificial males; males that give up their lives for the benefit of the group. In fact human societies idolize this sort of behavior. Sounds contradictory but obviously has survival value for the group as a whole.

Indeed, as Richard Leaky pointed out, injuries to our fragile knees and ankles have always been so common that if we didn’t rally around and put ourselves in peril to defend our own, humans woulda gone extinct a long time ago.

Maybe the flying-squirrel suit guys are on the far end of that particular genetic bell curve.
Posted By: killerv Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 07/07/20
Ever notice how suicide seems to run in the family? A father to off himself, just for his son to off his self years down the road? I know of a couple instances like this personally. I don't know if its too much for the sons to handle and they see it as an option like their fathers before them did? Something to think about before you pull the trigger.
Maybe you could gather some relatives and go piss on their graves
Personally I feel for anyone who finds life more difficult than ending it. Horrible for the survivors but how hopeless does one need to feel to put a gun to the head and pull the trigger. Not many got the chops for that
Several years ago we lost a very good member from right on this site. Before you ask, I won't say who, but suffice it to say, he was good people. I talked to him extensively, met him on one occasion, and never thought he'd be one to do this. Suicide is a horrible ending for all envolved, and it most certainly does leave some heavy, heavy scars. I guess we sometimes never know what others are going through that leads them to make this final decision.My heart goes out to all those impacted by the choice the victims felt compelled to make.
Posted By: hanco Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 07/07/20
You just don’t know what goes on in people’s heads!! It the cowards way out in my opinion.
Posted By: MM879 Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 07/07/20
Drugs play a big part in this problem.
Posted By: OldHat Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 07/07/20
Happiness is achieved not by trying to find it or achieve it. True happiness is found indirectly by living a particular life style and world view.

Here is a playlist on achieving joy in life.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NI5619Jmrwo&list=PL0f6_epwixV6sFMA9S6BEPMSrSnZL-lNg

The starter is here.

Posted By: TrueGrit Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 07/07/20
I've lost a few friends to suicide and every time I wonder why I didn't try to do more to help them. I sure wish euthanasia was legal, it would save lives and end a lot of suffering.

You hear that all the time but depression can be totally debilitating and alter a person’s thought process. I used to think just like you until I went into a deep depression tailspin. Obviously, I’m still hear but it was touch and go at one point.

Originally Posted by hanco
You just don’t know what goes on in people’s heads!! It the cowards way out in my opinion.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 07/07/20
This has been referenced, but how does the understanding that we can't know what a person is dealing with when they kill themselves translate to when a person kills someone else?
Posted By: SKane Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 07/07/20

Cowardice has nothing to do with it. And that stigma is rather short-sighted.
Suicide is a health issue. And it can result if a mental illness (like major depression, bipolar disorder, genetics & chemical imbalance) goes untreated, in the same way that a patient can die from pneumonia if they don't get treatment. Many of the folks taking this way out are not thinking rationally.

If only I could think of an analogy around cornflingers and shootin' houses to help connect those dots for you...........
Posted By: comerade Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 07/07/20
Suicide is awful and I I have experienced it around me.
We are all on this journey through our time, it takes a person to some pretty dark places, the enemy thrives in the dark side. I really believe there is a choice to make, a person must know this. I have empathy for those that never fully accepted Jesus, never leaned on him like a friend and see the awesomeness of him.
The enemy thrives on confusion. Suicide is confusion.
God Bless.
Posted By: Paul_M Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 07/07/20
Originally Posted by Mr_Harry
Originally Posted by blindshooter

Never heard anyone else talk about it “running in the family” before these posts. Have an old widow neighbor, she just lost her second kid to it. Lost her husband to it. And her late husband lost either a parent or a sibling or both to it too. I was shocked to hear such a story and consider its source in genetics, but then, clinical depression and brain chemistry would certainly have a base in genetics.

Back in HS a kid I knew hung himself. None of us saw it coming as he seemed like a normal happy kid.
What really freaked us all out was finding out he had hung himself in the same spot his older brother had hung himself a few years earlier.
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 07/07/20

Personally I think one has to separate depression from how people perceive a lack of connectedness with others.

if you don’t feel a connection with anything in this world, and the bulk of the people around you are for lack of a better nomenclature, [bleep] bags... and you aren’t connected to nature at all, then people could easily think, why the hell am I wasting my time here.

Hope would be the only thing they have left to keep them going - but in the end the lack of connectiveness explains why no one knew they were in that spot, or why they quit valuing life.
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 07/07/20
Originally Posted by comerade
We are all on this journey through our time, it takes a person to some pretty dark places, the enemy thrives in the dark side. I really believe there is a choice to make, a person must know this. I have empathy for those that never fully accepted Jesus, never leaned on him like a friend and see the awesomeness of him.
God Bless.

My best friend that committed suicide was on Prozac and something else for depression. I could tell that things were getting worse and made a trip to see his parents in NC. They were both Holly rollers and said we need to pray for Frank. His mother was totally against seeking any outside or having him committed and his dad was to pussy whipped to go against her wishes. Praying didn't work for Frank and just caused me more doubt.
Originally Posted by duck911
People who have never been around (or dealt with) acute depression are talking out of their azz.

It is crippling, and debilitating. There is no "pulling yourself up by the boot straps" or "sucking it up".

It is a deep despair and hopelessness and helplessness that cannot be explained.

Anyone who has not had it, that passes judgement on someone who has experienced depression is the lowest scum.

You nailed. And those that say you just need prayer deserved to be consigned to H*** for all eternity. I guess I should have used all upper case for that statement. The sad truth, it's a simple chemical imbalance.
Posted By: comerade Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 07/07/20
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
Originally Posted by comerade
God Bless.

My best friend that committed suicide was on Prozac and something else for depression. I could tell that things were getting worse and made a trip to see his parents in NC. They were both Holly rollers and said we need to pray for Frank. His mother was totally against seeking any outside or having him committed and his dad was to pussy whipped to go against her wishes. Praying didn't work for Frank and just caused me more doubt.

Sorry to hear that, clinical deppression needs all the help it can have, medical and spiritual. As a Catholic I really admire what they can do medically these days.
There is a 3rd vital step, imo....cardiovascular exercise.
Exercise is mind altering, and helps to reorganize the brain. I am speaking from some experience. Sadly, there is no full proof method and a person has to find their own through this. Awful to witness and heartbreaking sometimes.
Posted By: OldHat Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 07/08/20
Originally Posted by downwindtracker2
Originally Posted by duck911

You nailed. And those that say you just need prayer deserved to be consigned to H*** for all eternity. I guess I should have used all upper case for that statement. The sad truth, it's a simple chemical imbalance.

How do they know whether the imbalance is a cause or an effect. Which came first the thoughts or the chemistry. The behavior or the thoughts. It's not as simple as that.
Posted By: IndyCA35 Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 07/08/20

I would like to agree but I won't. I can't imagine myself committing suicide, but then something might change. I won't criticize that someone else has gone through.
Posted By: Muffin Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 07/08/20

SonILs grandfather, Cuban born and raised, came to this country after Castro took over, aged now, caring for his wife that has Alzheimers, he was getting too old to care for her, and barely able to care for himself, laid the note, the keys, the will, and all pertinent papers on the dresser, cleaned up, took a pistol and shot her and then himself....................

Misguided - maybe
Thoughtless - hardly
Necessary - in his mind ,yes
Coward - I don't think so.............

JMHO
Posted By: Jim_Knight Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 07/08/20
Forgive them, for they know not what they do...a person can get sick in their brain just like they can get sick in their liver...its just sad. Sure, there are some "plausible" scenarios where a person decides to end it. I feel those are very rare. Love people, be kind, help them all that you can, while not much, its all we can do.
Posted By: shaman Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 07/08/20
I've known about a half-dozen folks that have committed suicide and about another half-dozen or so that tried. Some of these were close friends. I've also got a few friends that were going to off themselves and somehow I got them turned around.

Looking back, I can tell you that all of them were somehow mentally ill and needed help that they were not getting. None of them were in any physical pain. They just had their heads messed up.

I dated a chick that volunteered at a suicide prevention hotline. In those days, I was doing a graveyard shift at a local radio station, and she would call me up and talk to me between suicide calls. She wasn't so hot at giving out advice, so she'd put the people on hold and pick up our line and ask what to do.

What I can tell you from all this is that suicide, at least how I've encountered it, is mostly about folks being blind to their options. They get their head so far up their own asses that they can't see alternatives. If someone can show them a way out, they'll take it, but most of them are past all that, and it's the folks making the suggestions that are often times the cause.

Of the folks that were able to walk away from it, they all had to walk away from toxic mindset and see alternatives. They all had to put down the shovel and stop digging and start to climb out.

I will always be wholly unforgiving of suicide. Not because it is cowardice or un-Godly, but because it is just not to be condoned. There has to be that moral conviction that "You just can't do that!" if there is someone out there looking for a reason to go ahead and do it. There HAS to be an alternative because there always IS an alternative.

I had a buddy years ago that showed up at my house for a dinner appointment and admitted that he'd tried to off himself with pills two nights previously. He'd woken up the next morning a little hungover, but still alive. He asked me what I thought about it.

"Damn you, John!" I barked, "You were going to miss our appointment and not call to cancel. I find that exceedingly rude!"

John agreed and promised not to do it again. He'd had multiple attempts over the years. This was his last. He survived another decade before dying of natural causes.
Posted By: saddlering Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 07/08/20
My Grandmother had Alzheimers, and now my Mother has it! if I get it Ill go out on my terms, not go insane in a dam Nursing Home!
Oldhat, I speak on depression, it is a chemical imbalance in the brain, if drugs can suppress the depression, it's clearly chemical. There is so much we don't understand about the brain .
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Great Guys and Suicide - 07/08/20
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
...I sure wish euthanasia was legal, it would save lives and end a lot of suffering.

What?
© 24hourcampfire