-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Interesting that you dug up that old thread.
hatari put it as well as I've ever heard it.
It is terrible how the majority of people with mental illness are neglected in this country.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Mental illness is not the only reason for suicides. I think the power of not wanting to live with whatever the problem is, just outweighs the not wanting to die. Nobody wants to die regardless of what we think. Many people have decided to not live anymore. There is a difference.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Some people just get tired.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cuznguido
I think the power of not wanting to live with whatever the problem is, just outweighs the not wanting to die.
Temporarily so. That’s one of the reasons it’s so tragic...it’s a permanent act to a temporary failure of the coping mechanism.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
How do you know the problem is temporary?

My bud had a debilitating illness raging and would be dead within a year so shut it down while he was able to make the call.

Kids raised, finances in order, and within his belief system (we had differing views on that).

Shot himself mid July. Years ago. Was thinking about it.

Had to look up his obit for exact date just a minute ago. Time has lessened the upset and made such details fade.

And yeah, he was a great guy.

Last edited by hookeye; 07/05/20.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
When Jesus gets a helicopter, I’ll pop smoke

Verb:
pop smoke (third-person singular simple present pops smoke, present participle popping smoke, simple past and past participle popped smoke)

(military slang) To call for air extract with a smoke grenade.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hookeye
How do you know the problem is temporary?
Originally Posted by antlers
That’s one of the reasons it’s so tragic...it’s a permanent act to a temporary failure of the coping mechanism.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Maybe it had crossed to where no coping mech could deal with it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hookeye
Maybe it had crossed to where no coping mech could deal with it.
Sorry ‘bout your friend. Sad incident, sad circumstances.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well I’ll tell you this straight up, I’ll soldier on through cancer and go out in a morphine stupor, but noway in hell am I going the distance with dementia and having my daughters have to change Dad’s diaper.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BangPop
I've seen a couple of examples recently where two individuals were declared great guys after they took their own lives. One was a early 30's fly fishing guide who left a 12 year old son behind to deal with the stigma of having his father do himself in with a pistol. Another was a mid 70's guy who left behind his wife of nearly 50 years. Everyone goes on and on about what great guys they were. Just splendid individuals. I have a different opinion of someone who would do that to a loved one or family member. Selfish chicken chits that didn't have the guts to deal with whatever was eating at them. They took the easy way out. Sad deal for those left behind.

The question I have for you is can you see the rational for someone with a painful debilitating disease ending his own life? Then, can you see how a persistent mental disease can be just as painful and debilitating as a physical disease? I'm sure you can see how a physical disease with no end, and little relief, could destroy someone's will to live. That and the fact that the person see's what his disease is doing to his loved ones.

The fact is that people make the choice they believe is best for them, and their loved ones. That choice is often influenced by the pain they are going through. Pointing out that with physical disease often they often receive understanding, support and love. That being from family, community and church. Yet with mental disease they receive rejection, belittlement, marginalization and despise from these same sources.

Last edited by Armednfree; 07/06/20.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Barkoff
Well I’ll tell you this straight up, I’ll soldier on through cancer and go out in a morphine stupor, but noway in hell am I going the distance with dementia and having my daughters have to change Dad’s diaper.

I agree completely.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I could see someone that is terminal.

Some are people getting caught doing fugged up schit.
Respected members of the community type of stuff.
Just get a chuckle from those once the Paul Harvey rest of the story is known.

Then ya got the little hometown usa johnny types.
Come to the big army base, get their 1st shot of poontang from some local crew served gal.
Most special thing in the world to him.
No matter what his buds clue him in on....
Obsessed......

He falls instantly in love, marry her maybe...
Usually inside of a couple of months or way less
To make her his, and only his forever....
Then blow their brains out when they realize she is spreading her pizz flaps all over town.

BOOM!!!!
SGLI sweepstakes winner and she moves on....

Happens all the time.

Virginitis...
Deadly ......

Last edited by renegade50; 07/06/20.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Tough topic. Way I see it it’s not for us, but we can have our opinions. It’s between them and their maker. They arranged the meeting.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by killerv
I wonder if there is something to it being hereditary. A buddy's grandfather several years back sold him the family farm for a dollar, after that, he went out to find his grandfather hanging from one of the trees a few weeks later. His father killed himself last year. Must be something to live with knowing your grandfather and father committed suicide.

Never had anyone close to me do it, mostly family members you may see once in a blue moon at a reunion or something. Had a good buddy who overdosed a few years back, no note was left so we weren't very sure if it was one or not, he had just gotten a divorce.

Our local BPS seems to be a popular place to do it. Law enforcement told me multiple people have off'd themselves in the parking lot since it opened. I guess they just want to make sure they are found quickly.

A friend of mine killed himself last Feb. His grandfather and father both killed themselves. Another guy I grew up with shot himself and his mom did the same. I do believe whatever causes it can be inherited.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Young people killing themselves might be saddest of all, over three decades I've had a couple of students that killed themselves, and a family member that did too. In every case no one saw it coming. I think if they could see the pain it leaves behind they never woulda done it.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I had a very good friend kill himself in 2002. I saw him often and had no clue there was issues. Turned out that he was in big financial trouble.
He left a wife and two sub teen daughters
I still think about him often.

NRA Patron
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If you live in your 60 yr old mother’s basement and she catches you fugging a blow up doll....

You have two choices

Kill yourself
Or
Move to Alaska

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by blanket
yeah bullshit, Depression sucks and when someone turns it all about themselves and does not give a flying [bleep] about the ones they are leaving to deal with it, that pisses me off

You are a MASSIVE fuggin idiot.

The DIPCHIT ADD, after a morning of drinking:

You despair, repeatedly, constantly! daily basis?
A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
California has open inflatable arms for those.....

Originally Posted by slumlord
If live in your 60 yr old mother’s basement and she catches you fugging a blow up doll....

You have two choices

Kill yourself
Or
Move to Alaska

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

71 members (14idaho, 907brass, 44automag, 10gaugemag, 308xray, 11 invisible), 1,484 guests, and 825 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,723
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.