Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by RickyD
Originally Posted by dla
If you're packing a handgun for bear protection, is a revolver less reliable than a semi-auto?

No,not unless you're carrying handloads that weren't crimped adequately. Otherwise, a revolver is considered more reliable than a semi-auto with all it's moving parts.

Heavy loads with heavy recoil can and do at times jump crimp and tie up revolvers with the very best of crimps. The 454 is famous for it.

65,000 psi out of a semi-auto and a jumped crimp will be the least of your problems - more like a jumped slide. The combination of gun weight and recoil that leads to a jumped crimp has nothing to due with the mechanical reliability of a revolver, yet it is beyond the mechanical capabilities of a semi-auto.

Show me a 12-oz. semi-auto that can handle something along the lines of a .357 Mag.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
GB1

D
dla Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Bullshiza! Why don't you post your bs elsewhere. Anybody with a working brain knows how to avoid crimp jump.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JOG
Originally Posted by RickyD
Originally Posted by dla
If you're packing a handgun for bear protection, is a revolver less reliable than a semi-auto?

No,not unless you're carrying handloads that weren't crimped adequately. Otherwise, a revolver is considered more reliable than a semi-auto with all it's moving parts.

Heavy loads with heavy recoil can and do at times jump crimp and tie up revolvers with the very best of crimps. The 454 is famous for it.

65,000 psi out of a semi-auto and a jumped crimp will be the least of your problems - more like a jumped slide. The combination of gun weight and recoil that leads to a jumped crimp has nothing to due with the mechanical reliability of a revolver, yet it is beyond the mechanical capabilities of a semi-auto.

Show me a 12-oz. semi-auto that can handle something along the lines of a .357 Mag.

Glock 32 or 31 Model in 357 Sig caliber handles .357 mag ballistics just fine. It may not be 12 ounces, but it easily carries 16 rounds.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by JOG

Glock 32 or 31 Model in 357 Sig caliber handles .357 mag ballistics just fine. It may not be 12 ounces, but it easily carries 16 rounds.

The gun weight is the whole fricken' point.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by 700LH
I have had numerous semiauto pistols jam and have never had a revolver with factory ammo jam or fail to function that I remember.

You likely don't shoot a lot of revolvers.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Not wanting to practice with a titanium 44 magnum, a 35 ounce 357 magnum with the 180 grain BB load makes more sense to me than the glock 20 for penetration, hit-ability, lethality while not wanting to agree with DLA putting the muzzle against anything that breaths God's air and pulling the trigger will totally ruin anythings day despite its size a lot of gas goes behind the bullet. Wish dumbass colt had put adjustable sights on their 2019 king cobra, that thing is only 28 ounces.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If the revolver is not American, semi allday, everyday.
Most foreign revolvers are either junk, or underpowered.

I have seen quite a few Ruger single actions tied up by the
Plunger dingus in the hammer.
All were newer guns that the owner shouldnt have needed to
clean internally yet. Some cleaning and lube, they were fine.

For some of us, that probably wouldn't have happened.
But, it did.

These arguments are fun, and informative.
In a, "never thought of that" way.

Honestly, anyone who thinks they have the definitive answer,
shows a lack of understanding, and/or the ability to learn.

You have to pick your needs and concerns, then use the best one for those criteria.

If I want to carry a gun when I'm running a saw, Glock x3.
A revolver would be a terrible choice, even in a flap holster.
Most plastic semis can be field stripped, and blown out in seconds.

Just one case of matching a tool to a job.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Honestly, anyone who thinks they have the definitive answer,
shows a lack of understanding, and/or the ability to learn.

Best line in this thread....

ETA: Except maybe I would switch "ability" with "desire"

Last edited by RufusG; 05/03/19. Reason: another thought
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
As somebody already pointed out, probably nobody who's posted to so far have ever shot a charging bear with a handgun (or maybe even a rifle).

Even a .500 S&W isn't a "stopping" cartridge on big bears.

The one guy I know who killed a close-range, charging 9-foot brown bear with a handgun used 7-shot 9mm S&W auto. He said he'd had preferred his S&W Mountain Gun .44 Magnum, but the 9mm was what he had on him during a fishing trip. (Google Phil Shoemaker., 9mm, brown bear....)

Phils killed a number of charging brown bear with rifles, and would much rather have one of his .30-06's than ANY handgun.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
As somebody already pointed out, probably nobody who's posted to so far have ever shot a charging bear with a handgun (or maybe even a rifle).

Even a .500 S&W isn't a "stopping" cartridge on big bears.

The one guy I know who killed a close-range, charging 9-foot brown bear with a handgun used 7-shot 9mm S&W auto. He said he'd had preferred his S&W Mountain Gun .44 Magnum, but the 9mm was what he had on him during a fishing trip. (Google Phil Shoemaker., 9mm, brown bear....)

Phils killed a number of charging brown bear with rifles, and would much rather have one of his .30-06's than ANY handgun.

Not a 9 foot, rather a 7 footer in 1988 with a 475 Linebaugh outside of Kotzbu Alaska. One shot.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B3

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Where did you hit him?

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by TWR
Where did you hit him?

Rib cage toward the off shoulder

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
A friend of mine just last summer had a grumpy bear experience while salmon fishing in Alaska with his brother and another friend of ours.

Maybe I can get him to join and post his experience.

Let's just say he's not a fan of at least one particular auto (which fortunately, eventually DID fire)....

No he didn't get mauled, nor did the bear require being harmed. I do know he wished he had his OWN handgun.

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by TWR
Where did you hit him?

Rib cage toward the off shoulder

Was he charging you? Did he go down or change course and then go down?

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by jimmyp
Not wanting to practice with a titanium 44 magnum, a 35 ounce 357 magnum with the 180 grain BB load makes more sense to me than the glock 20 for penetration, hit-ability, lethality while not wanting to agree with DLA putting the muzzle against anything that breaths God's air and pulling the trigger will totally ruin anythings day despite its size a lot of gas goes behind the bullet. Wish dumbass colt had put adjustable sights on their 2019 king cobra, that thing is only 28 ounces.

Well if you put the muzzle of a Glock against anything it probably wont go off if the gun is held at any kind of an angle hard enough to take the gun out of battery.

My G26 will go out off battery IF the muzzle is at a particular angle with the trigger doing nothing.MAKE SURE THE PISTOL IS UNLOADED IF YOU DECIDE TO TRY THIS FOR YOURSELF !!
However unless it is held just at the particular angle it will stay in battery and would have fired MOST of the time.

On the other hand my Glock 21 with an extended 6 inch 10mm barrel installed will come out of battery rather easily when the muzzle of the barrel comes in contact with something.
MAKE SURE THE PISTOL IS UNLOADED IF YOU DECIDE TO TRY THIS FOR YOURSELF !!!!!!!!!!!!

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
My earlier comment, regarding contact shots against predators, was not made with any concern about a semiauto failing to fire because it was out-of-battery. It was related to blood, fat and hair blowing back and preventing the slide from returning to battery and/or the close quarters interfering with ejection.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am acquainted with a deputy sheriff that got into a dust up with three drunk rednecks on a rural forest service road. The three bad guys were aware they had the advantage over the deputy both in numbers and location. The three drunks decided to beat hell out of the deputy and had him on his back in the gravel ditch running along side the forest service road with all three kicking the crap out of the deputy. At some point one of the bad guys was sitting on the deputies chest and smashing him in the face repeatedly. Somehow the deputy got his Glock 22 out and around front and shot the bad guy at a long angle upward through the chest. That was a fight stopper. However the gun was close to the deputies chest and when the slide went rearward it impacted the deputies chest and failed to clear the fired case - jam. Evidently the killing of their friend sobered the other two [bleep] up immediately. They helped pull the deputy out from under the now dead drunk on top of him and helped set the deputy up against his car where he could breath and communicate on his radio. The remaining drunks went over and sat down by their vehicle and the deputy covered them until help finally arrived about 30 minutes later. Only later after other officers arrived did they realize the deputies G22 was still jammed. In the thrty something minutes waiting for back up the deputy held the bad guys at gunpoint with a jammed gun and didn't realize it.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by dla

No.

I'm with IB on that. I've carried a revolver for over 40 years for bears, and don't plan on changing.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by dla

No.

I'm with IB on that. I've carried a revolver for over 40 years for bears, and don't plan on changing.
Originally Posted by Whitworth1
Originally Posted by SargeMO
Originally Posted by Whitworth1
Originally Posted by JOG
Originally Posted by dla

No.

Anyone feel the need to run 200-500 rounds through a revolver with their carry ammo to verify function?

Damn good point.

And if I'm carrying Apex Predator Insurance, I want the policy to include function with the barrel jammed hard up against the animal.

Amen to that sentiment.

Amen +2

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by bcraig
Originally Posted by jimmyp

Well if you put the muzzle of a Glock against anything it probably wont go off if the gun is held at any kind of an angle hard enough to take the gun out of battery.

My G26 will go out off battery IF the muzzle is at a particular angle with the trigger doing nothing.MAKE SURE THE PISTOL IS UNLOADED IF YOU DECIDE TO TRY THIS FOR YOURSELF !!
However unless it is held just at the particular angle it will stay in battery and would have fired MOST of the time.

On the other hand my Glock 21 with an extended 6 inch 10mm barrel installed will come out of battery rather easily when the muzzle of the barrel comes in contact with something.
MAKE SURE THE PISTOL IS UNLOADED IF YOU DECIDE TO TRY THIS FOR YOURSELF !!!!!!!!!!!!

If you read my post, I advocate for the 357 wheel gun. I am well aware that being out of battery prevents firing in an auto, why it even works with the 1911, until it doesn’t. Having known a man whose father shot his hand demonstrating it would not go off.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (160user, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 56 invisible), 2,488 guests, and 1,332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,472
Posts18,471,452
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.