W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
[quote=16bore]Johnson Century![/quote

My choice as well!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I didn’t say that, I just implied they’d beat the likes of you. I’m sure they’re out there though, look it up yourself. I’m not your mother.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
i like fishing creeks with lightweight lures. 1/8-3/16 ounce. Too light and too short of cast for a baitcast.

To catch bream and bass. I love red bellies.

Grew up with zebco one classics. The made in USA ones.

What’s the modern day equivalent? Smooth reeling. Prolly put it on a pistol grip ugly stick.

Define "spin cast". If throwing light weights is what you want, a spinning reel really cannot be beat. Could you mean spinning reel when oyu say "spin cast"?

Spin cast to me, means the closed face reels, which I for one do not understand why are even still made. They are usually a child's reel..no disrespect intended. Spinning reels cast further and usually have better and smoother drags.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Spincast = zedco 33, omega, one, one classic. , 202. 303. Etc...

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by SandBilly
I didn’t say that, I just implied they’d beat the likes of you. I’m sure they’re out there though, look it up yourself. I’m not your mother.

I'm probably not a "serious shotgunner" as you define yourself, so the "likes of me" is pretty easy to beat.

But not with a side-by-side.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use Garcia Abumatic 170’s. About $50.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ltppowell

I'm probably not a "serious shotgunner" as you define yourself, so the "likes of me" is pretty easy to beat.

That’s not what I said, but typical for you.

Wanna bet?

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Get a spinning reel. Spincaster’s are for kids.

Shimano Stradic is good as are the Penn Saltwater spinning reels (anodized aluminum spool). When I use spinning gear I usually use my Penns for saltwater and my Shimanos for fresh water but that’s not a hard and fast rule of mine. You likely need something no bigger than a 1000 series sized reel and I doubt good drags are required.

Some of the Okuma stuff is likely to serve you well and not cost much. I’m not a fan of their bigger fish stuff but the kids use the hell out of one I gave them to fish the local ponds. They catch trout, bass, perch and damn near everything on an Okuma 1000 sized spinning reel and they’re not gentle with their equipment. 😉

Good luck. 👍

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by efw

Pfleuger Presidential UL loaded w/ 2 lb fluorocarbon is a favorite w/ 1/64th oz trout magnet on 5.5 ft UL rod.

Those are hard to beat for the money. I’ve got several of them for crappie fishing. Absolutely love em.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I fat fingered a bass pro Brand spincast today @ BPS. Seemed nice gears. Thumb button was iffy. Fraid to break it shuffling in John boat. Maybe a deal for $29.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I like my brand new KastKing spinning reel mounted on my old faithful Ugly Stick rod. Bought the reel through Amazon for about 50 bucks and so far I love the performance. I have it rigged up with 30 lb test braid line fishing for striped bass on the Sacramento River.

My setup should be able to handle a legal sturgeon as well.

X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
I tried to convert my dad to spinning reels, but after a lifetime of spincast it just didn't take. He only fishes for perch off the pier anyway, so no bid deal, but he paired
it with one of the original Ugly Stiks that had the sensitivity of a wet noodle, and completed the combo with some nice old school 12lb line....still managed to catch fish. For his birthday this year I got my him a Pflueger President and a halfway decent Fenwick, its nothing special but should be much better suited than what he's been using. He was real happy with it apparently, but something tells me if I go down there this summer, sneak down to the pier and see what's in his hands, its probably the ol Shakespeare with some 30 year old spincast on top, spooling out loopy coils of thick flourescent mono...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Wanna bet?

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Wanna bet?

You’re so sneaky. Is that a yes?

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Wanna bet?

My bent barrelled 870 against your side-by-side?

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by 16bore
Johnson Century!

Ive had more than my share of fun with those too, as a kid and until several years ago used one for fishing minnows for crappie.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Wanna bet?

Lmfao, Sure. Your 870 against my SXS on skeet or sporting clays, the ones you mentioned.

Last edited by SandBilly; 05/04/19.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Wanna bet?

Lmfao, Sure. Your 870 against my SXS on skeet or sporting clays, the ones you mentioned.

Okay. That sounds like something we can make happen. I'll put a new coat of paint on it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

[/quote]

Wanna bet?
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Okay. That sounds like something we can make happen. I'll put a new coat of paint on it.[/quote]

What’s the bet? Let’s make it worth while. I’ll let you pick the range between us.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Bigdave, With spinning reels don’t use the handle to flip the bail, flip it manually with your fingers otherwise you’ll have a tangled mess. Use light line when using light weight....like a good 2# mono. Make sure you spool the reel with the line going onto your spool in the same direction as it comes off the bulk spool....otherwise you’ll have a tangled mess. 😁

Spinning gear is simple and foolproof...you don’t have to worry about backlash and it’s easy to use your hands when flipping lightweight and with a little practice and depending upon rod length you can get some distance with ultralight gear without ever flipping the bail.

Again....my friend.....Good Luck. 👍

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 64 invisible), 2,130 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,771
Posts18,495,708
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.