Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
And once they have learned to anticipate the recoil of that light 12 ga, or 300 Wea mag, or 454 Casull. It is such an easy thing to train the flinch out of them.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Ha Ha Ha. You are a HOOT. A real HOOT.

Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
And once they have learned to anticipate the recoil of that light 12 ga, or 300 Wea mag, or 454 Casull. It is such an easy thing to train the flinch out of them.

I AM THE GOOD FRIEND OF RENEGADE50.
HE MENTORS ME.
HE PUNISHES ME WHEN I AM WRONG.
HE CALLS ME OUT WHEN I AM LYING.
HE CARES GREATLY ABOUT ME.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by glockdoofus
In theory I agree. I would not go above a 44 Mag or heavy loaded 45 Colt though with a new shooter. It is nothing but a mental thing when it comes to recoil.

It might be entirely mental for some, but it is quite physical for others. Some of those others may overcome it mentally, to a degree, but some may not.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
For real????

Originally Posted by FreeMe
In theory I agree. I would not go above a 44 Mag or heavy loaded 45 Colt though with a new shooter. It is nothing but a mental thing when it comes to recoil.

It might be entirely mental for some, but it is quite physical for others. Some of those others may overcome it mentally, to a degree, but some may not.

HE MENTORS ME.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by bfrshooter
I work new guys backwards. I start with the .475 or .500 JRH in my BFR's until they are comfortable with them. The are fairly heavy too. Then a .44 mag is nothing at all and going down to a .22 is a pleasure.
I found the mental problem as you go up is hard to get over. Going from a .22 to a .38 still had anticipation for recoil but after a .500, they showed no flinch.
My daughter is skinny and shot a 20 ga for clays. She always missed the first clay but would run the next hundred. We ran out of shells so I gave her my 12 ga and she missed the first again but never missed another. She loves my 1911's and she bought an 8mm Mauser. She joined the Marines and shot the highest score ever shot, man or woman.

LMFAO.

Yeah, sounds funny but it works. Friend was here with his son and I was shooting my .500 JRH and he was scared to death of it. I showed it could be shot with one hand and he finally took it. A few shots and he fell in love, then took his dads .454 and broke water bottles at 100 off hand. Once fear is gone about recoil and noise, things come together.
Only trigger control with a small gun helps to start. Most have a fear as you go up so I start big first. John has a .500 S&W but my heavy loads in my .45 Vaquero has more recoil. Nobody but me has shot more then six shots before giving up. Big guns need a healthy frame of steel. Spandex and plastics will make a gun nasty. A .41 Ruger BH with the aluminum frame is far worse then a SBH .44. Even some .357's will be unpleasant. It comes down to the guns weight and some that we shoot from a revolver when chambered in a rifle will turn your shoulder black. Slippery, shiny and pretty grips are not fun either. The revolver should never "roll'. Recoil from small pistols is just the slide weight coming back. Even the ACP is a tiny cartridge but the slide is heavy.
Had fun last week with my neighbor that does not like handguns but he has a .380 on all day. I made him shoot the .500 and he actually hit the target. John and I made one ragged hole with 5 shots. Joe says a handgun is not made for hunting but it is all I use for deer. I can not convince him. My friend Whitworth should show him.
I recently bought a huge collection when a friend died and have a new appreciation of the .380. The old Colt pocket pistol is amazing. But I also got two 1911's, a Dan Wesson and a Colt series 80. Then an AMT in 9mm WW magnum. I can not post a picture as it is too large.

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
The stupid runs deep in this thread. Well at least I learned how to create flinch.. f^cking brilliant.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I work new guys backwards. I start with the .475 or .500 JRH in my BFR's until they are comfortable with them. The are fairly heavy too. Then a .44 mag is nothing at all and going down to a .22 is a pleasure.
I found the mental problem as you go up is hard to get over. Going from a .22 to a .38 still had anticipation for recoil but after a .500, they showed no flinch.
My daughter is skinny and shot a 20 ga for clays. She always missed the first clay but would run the next hundred. We ran out of shells so I gave her my 12 ga and she missed the first again but never missed another. She loves my 1911's and she bought an 8mm Mauser. She joined the Marines and shot the highest score ever shot, man or woman.

Who in the he'll takes 101 shotgun shells to go shooting?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bwana_1
A 40 S&W is "hard kicking" ?

Absolutely.

For a new shooter, I see the point...but to classify it as "hard kicking" just isn't accurate in my opinion.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
22 lr, then 38’s or 9mm. Recoil causes flinching and bad muscle memory.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Absolutely.

For a new shooter, I see the point...but to classify it as "hard kicking" just isn't accurate in my opinion.

Everything is relative.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Cascade
At today's Basic Handgun class, I had two terrific people show up with handguns that were entirely unsuitable for their needs. They're beginning handgunners. Good people, but unused to shooting a handgun.

#1 had a 40 S&W Kahr, a relatively light, compact, self-defense firearm.

#2 had a classic, 30 year old 380 AMT pocket pistol/belly gun

Neither student could shoot either of those things worth a hoot! No surprise. The 40 in that lightweight gun kicks like a mule. The AMT 380 kept trying to take bites out of the web between thumb and forefinger of the other student.

I stopped the madness quickly, and substituted my old faithful Ruger 22/45 with 40 grain CCI ammo.
[Linked Image]

Wow... Within a few shots, each of them was shooting nice, TIGHT, groups... Really nice, TIGHT groups.

Shoot a gun that doesn't kick the snot out of you, particularly if you're a beginner. Results will be better. If you've got someone who wants teaching... Consider handing them your 22, not your hot-loaded 44... Learn gun safety. Learn the fundamentals of marksmanship. Then, when all that is solid, consider bumping up to a more powerful handgun. But not until then. Please.

Thanks, Guy

Well done, sir.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For real????

Originally Posted by FreeMe

Yes, for real. Believe it or not, some people have physical limitations. We are not all built the same, and we are not all even physically the same as we once were. That is a revelation to you?

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Like the highest score ever for qualifying with a service rifle?

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Cascade,

You didn't ask for anyone else's opinion but nonetheless I recommend that NEW handgun shooters be taught with a "plain vanilla" K-frame revolvers (for example the Model 10 S&W) & loaded with 148 grain wadcutters, IF they are going to buy (rather than rent or borrow a handgun).

When I was a "range rat" on the staff of a Texas Police Academy 3+ decades ago, we had "school revolvers" that ALL of the beginners were taught to shoot with & by day 3 of "range week" at least 90% of the "rank beginners" qualified. - By Friday noon, ALL of the beginning shooters/"rookie" officers always qualified.
(In every class we had "rookies" who arrived at the academy & who had never even HELD a gun, much less had ever fired a handgun.)

Note: As soon as the rookies (who didn't own or were to be issued a handgun by their department) qualified, there was a line of "new LEOs" who went to the local police supply vendor to buy their own revolver. = Most of those new LEOs chose a 4-inch K-frame S&W in .38SPL as their first duty weapon, in those long-ago days.

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

William Barrett Travis, Lt.Col., comdt.
Fortress of The Alamo, Bejar
F'by 24, 1836
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Very true. I am 81 and a half now so things have gone to dirt. But I still love my big revolvers and to shoot 5 into one hole at 50 yards from the bench is still joy. Joe shot my .500 and the ripple going down his arm was a thing for Youtube. He downloads every rifle to a piss ant and I ask why he has a .444 with less power then my revolver. He is skinny as a rail but smokes 10 cigarettes when shooting. Even his 30-06 is like a .380. He does nothing but brag about his guns and says "YOU KNOW" a million times.
Carol calls him the "PEST." He calls every morning to tell what he did at his house but he is a shoemaker with no leather or string. His porch is rotting way so he slabs it with wood so I get into it myself, I say "you know " you can't fix rot, you need to replace it all. he put down a few tongue and groove boards and it rained. so I asked him how he would fit more when the wood swelled? He said it would dry. Good stinking luck. I know how crazy he is when he washes his hunting clothes and keeps them in a plastic bag or out on a line and then the first thing he does when out of his stand he lights up. I hate to go with him anywhere because his truck seat is dog hair and he smokes. I can't move the seat back because of the crap behind it so I struggle to get in. The floor under my feet is so full of crap I lose feeling in my feet. He tells me to stop complaining old man but riding in a dumpster is not fun. He paid more for his truck to get wind up windows because he does not like electric windows. Stupid ass that I have to wind the window down when he smokes. Then there is no stop to the gas peddle and he is on the center line all the time.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
It is funny how there are the yahoos that recommends dry firing to help a flinch or dropping down to a 22RF to overcome a flinch. It is pure bull hockey. Unless you experience recoil and learn to put up with it you will never learn to endure it.
No recoil, no problem. But that still doesn't resolve the problem. You don't learn tolerance unless you MAKE UP YOUR MIND TO.

HE MENTORS ME.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Absolutely.

OK.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
HIGHEST SCORE EVER SHOT!!!!

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
It is funny how there are the yahoos that recommends dry firing to help a flinch or dropping down to a 22RF to overcome a flinch. It is pure bull hockey. Unless you experience recoil and learn to put up with it you will never learn to endure it.
No recoil, no problem. But that still doesn't resolve the problem. You don't learn tolerance unless you MAKE UP YOUR MIND TO.

Tell you what, why don't you try something? Ask for a volunteer, I am sure folks will stand in line for this chance.

Ask for a volunteer to whack you right up beside the head with a baseball bat every time you pull the trigger on your favorite firearm. Pull the trigger 100 times and get whacked in the head 100 times with a baseball bat.

Then get back to us with your tales of no induced flinch.

A flinch is a physiological response to pain associated with a "trigger", pardon the pun. If you experience pain with each pull of the trigger, you will learn to flinch. It is part of being human.

And it takes a long while to reprogram the brain that a trigger pull is not necessarily associated with pain.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Very true. I am 81 and a half now so things have gone to dirt. But I still love my big revolvers and to shoot 5 into one hole at 50 yards from the bench is still joy. Joe shot my .500 and the ripple going down his arm was a thing for Youtube. He downloads every rifle to a piss ant and I ask why he has a .444 with less power then my revolver. He is skinny as a rail but smokes 10 cigarettes when shooting. Even his 30-06 is like a .380. He does nothing but brag about his guns and says "YOU KNOW" a million times.
Carol calls him the "PEST." He calls every morning to tell what he did at his house but he is a shoemaker with no leather or string. His porch is rotting way so he slabs it with wood so I get into it myself, I say "you know " you can't fix rot, you need to replace it all. he put down a few tongue and groove boards and it rained. so I asked him how he would fit more when the wood swelled? He said it would dry. Good stinking luck. I know how crazy he is when he washes his hunting clothes and keeps them in a plastic bag or out on a line and then the first thing he does when out of his stand he lights up. I hate to go with him anywhere because his truck seat is dog hair and he smokes. I can't move the seat back because of the crap behind it so I struggle to get in. The floor under my feet is so full of crap I lose feeling in my feet. He tells me to stop complaining old man but riding in a dumpster is not fun. He paid more for his truck to get wind up windows because he does not like electric windows. Stupid ass that I have to wind the window down when he smokes. Then there is no stop to the gas peddle and he is on the center line all the time.

Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

526 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 12344mag, 163bc, 45 invisible), 2,365 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,641
Posts18,493,238
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.