Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by HawkI
Originally Posted by jimmyp
well I will wait until we start a 51st bear thread before adding more fuel to the fire, and yet I wonder how many shoot and are proficient with a large bore revolver except Max, JWP and a few other? Me I would be better off with a smaller caliber, at least the animal would have a hole or two in it.

Have you insomuch ever shot a deer with a handgun?

Seriously...

My guess is no.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by JMR40
I've had more revolvers fail to function than semi's over the last 40 years. I'll take my G20 or G29 loaded with heavy hardcast bullets over any revolver ever made. The militaries of the world proved over 100 years ago that semi's were more reliable in field conditions than revolvers. Kept reasonably clean and stored in a nightstand a revolver will most likely work perfectly for 1 cylinder full every time. After that the odds tip fast toward semi's.

This from the guy that thinks the .45-70 is inferior to the .30-30.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by NMScout308
I would go with a wheel gun for bear defense IF I didn't want to carry a rifle or shotgun. 44 Mag and above if the bear you are wanting to defend yourself from is a Mountain Grizzly or Coastal Brown Bear. For black bear I'd still want a wheel gun .357 mag or above. In almost all scenarios you are better off using bear spray. Scenarios where you would be better off with a gun: the bear is trying to get in your tent. In that case he's in predator mode and you need to fight back with whatever you have handy. He's wounded. You blundered into his kill, he blundered into your kill. I've been in close proximity to bears many times and have never had a problem. I was bow hunting in New Mexico once, set up on a small meadow, and a huge Cinnamon appeared 30 feet to my left, I didn't even hear it until the last second. He turned my way, and not wanting him to get any closer, I stepped forward so he could see me better. He hauled ass. After an underwear check I was good to go.
From the national wildlife service:
The question is not one of marksmanship or clear thinking in the face of a growling bear, for even a skilled
marksman with steady nerves may have a slim chance of deterring a bear attack with a gun. Law
enforcement agents for the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service have experience that supports this reality --
based on their investigations of human-bear encounters since 1992, persons encountering grizzlies and
defending themselves with firearms suffer injury about 50% of the time. During the same period, persons
defending themselves with pepper spray escaped injury most of the time, and those that were injured
experienced shorter duration attacks and less severe injuries. Canadian bear biologist Dr. Stephen Herrero
reached similar conclusions based on his own research -- a person’s chance of incurring serious injury from
a charging grizzly doubles when bullets are fired versus when bear spray is used.
Here we go....

Herrero's work is tainted by bias and bad methodology. And since when does "investigation" equal "experience"?

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by FreeMe

Herrero's work is tainted by bias and bad methodology. And since when does "investigation" equal "experience"?

This I agree with completely. I’ve always been skeptical of Herrero’s work.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
One spike buck.

IC B2

H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
Good deal.

Gun, bullet?

Any other particulars?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If I deem a semi-auto reliable enough to go up against any bad thing a city conceivably has to offer, I deem it reliable enough to go up against any critter running around in my woods.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by HawkI
Good deal.

Gun, bullet?

Any other particulars?

Yup, let's hear it.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Bovine Bullet Test

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
300 BO pistol at 50 yards using 110 grain Barnes VorTX bullets and a red dot sight using home made bog pod from a ground blind at dusk....it was a semi auto and not a revolver.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CraigC
Originally Posted by JMR40
I've had more revolvers fail to function than semi's over the last 40 years. I'll take my G20 or G29 loaded with heavy hardcast bullets over any revolver ever made. The militaries of the world proved over 100 years ago that semi's were more reliable in field conditions than revolvers. Kept reasonably clean and stored in a nightstand a revolver will most likely work perfectly for 1 cylinder full every time. After that the odds tip fast toward semi's.

This from the guy that thinks the .45-70 is inferior to the .30-30.

Yup. One and the same.

IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
well I will wait until we start a 51st bear thread before adding more fuel to the fire, and yet I wonder how many shoot and are proficient with a large bore revolver except Max, JWP and a few other? Me I would be better off with a smaller caliber, at least the animal would have a hole or two in it.

You know, you just might be, but that is YOU. Not me. Not anyone else. Your abilities are YOUR abilities, your limits are YOUR limits. They have zero relevance to the abilities or limits of anyone else on earth. Assuming others share your limits, or shouldn't try because you didn't succeed ... is both foolishness and arrogance. Likewise, assuming everyone else can just because you can ... is both foolishness and arrogance. You have to learn, and live, YOUR limits. Same as I have to learn, and live, MY limits.

For me, I shoot a .44 as well as any other revolver. I don't shoot semi-autos as well on average. There are a couple exceptions but most simply do not fit my hand correctly for accuracy.

That should not attack your .. competence. That's ME. What works for ME. You really ought to worry more about you, about being comfortable with your limits, and focus less about telling others what to do.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Are you on drugs? Maybe you can’t read.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Who would have guessed that a question about the reliability of mechanical devices would devolve into a dick measuring contest? Absolutely unheard of here on the Fire.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've owned all sorts of autos and revolvers. Other that 22 LR, I've never had a failure fire from a revolver. Never.

Shooting Colts, Sigs, and CZs I have my share of FTFs and failures to eject. Not many, but it happens.

Revolvers are, in my opinion, FAR more reliable. If 6 shots is all you need, that't the way to go. In fact, giving some thought into dumpjng my autos. I just like revolvers better.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Are you on drugs? Maybe you can’t read.

I read pretty well. No, I don't do drugs. Is it necessary to do drugs to comprehend your writing? Would it be ok to just find someone here who does drugs to interpret for me instead?

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RufusG
Who would have guessed that a question about the reliability of mechanical devices would devolve into a dick measuring contest? Absolutely unheard of here on the Fire.

Yea, what's this place coming to??

Next thing you know, they'll be arguing 'bout scopes...

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
As somebody already pointed out, probably nobody who's posted to so far have ever shot a charging bear with a handgun (or maybe even a rifle).

Even a .500 S&W isn't a "stopping" cartridge on big bears.

The one guy I know who killed a close-range, charging 9-foot brown bear with a handgun used 7-shot 9mm S&W auto. He said he'd had preferred his S&W Mountain Gun .44 Magnum, but the 9mm was what he had on him during a fishing trip. (Google Phil Shoemaker., 9mm, brown bear....)

Phils killed a number of charging brown bear with rifles, and would much rather have one of his .30-06's than ANY handgun.

I think Phil's experience and opinion pretty much settle that part of the discussion.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Whitworth1
Originally Posted by FreeMe

This I agree with completely. I’ve always been skeptical of Herrero’s work.

I studied under Herrero at the University of Calgary many years ago, and in my opinion is a very good and reputable ethologist. I've read most of his papers and consider them valid.

However: the firearms-vs-pepperspray paper he co-authored that FreeMe refers to was a very sloppy study and, as FM says, was badly flawed. It isn't well-regarded even among wildlife biologists.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by T_O_M

You know, you just might be, but that is YOU. Not me. Not anyone else. Your abilities are YOUR abilities, your limits are YOUR limits. They have zero relevance to the abilities or limits of anyone else on earth. Assuming others share your limits, or shouldn't try because you didn't succeed ... is both foolishness and arrogance. Likewise, assuming everyone else can just because you can ... is both foolishness and arrogance. You have to learn, and live, YOUR limits. Same as I have to learn, and live, MY limits.

For me, I shoot a .44 as well as any other revolver. I don't shoot semi-autos as well on average. There are a couple exceptions but most simply do not fit my hand correctly for accuracy.

That should not attack your .. competence. That's ME. What works for ME. You really ought to worry more about you, about being comfortable with your limits, and focus less about telling others what to do.

Tom

where do you read I am imposing my limitations or abilities on you? Is "I Wonder" some secret new slang that says "You are" or "You can't"? Where do you read I am assuming others share my limits? Is "I wonder" a new way of saying "you suck"? As far as your abilities with a 44 magnum, I am sure many can shoot one proficiently knocking thrown aspirins out of the air, on the internet anybody can do anything, however I WONDER how many can shoot a 500 SW, or a 454 Linebaugh, or a 475 Linebaugh "proficiently"?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by T_O_M

Tom

where do you read I am imposing my limitations or abilities on you? Is "I Wonder" some secret new slang that says "You are" or "You can't"? Where do you read I am assuming others share my limits? Is "I wonder" a new way of saying "you suck"? As far as your abilities with a 44 magnum, I am sure many can shoot one proficiently knocking thrown aspirins out of the air, on the internet anybody can do anything, however I WONDER how many can shoot a 500 SW, or a 454 Linebaugh, or a 475 Linebaugh "proficiently"?

Is a .454 Linebaugh some new wildcat? :-)

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Bovine Bullet Test

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

523 members (1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 1_deuce, 1936M71, 219DW, 260Remguy, 57 invisible), 1,747 guests, and 1,211 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,109
Posts18,522,761
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.