Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bfrshooter
[Some here are milk toast shooters.

I believe the correct term is 'mamby-pamby'. C'mon, man, try to be more like doofus......

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bwana_1
[Linked Image]

Great about how not to teach. Nice loose hold with a cannon. LET IT ROLL!
Some here are milk toast shooters. I have had ladies here that can shoot anything. Instruction is what you do. Never hand anyone a huge gun without instruction. If a person is not strong enough in your opinion, don't do it. There is always a limit. I advocate large to start but you never want to inflict pain or fear. Some men are wimps with any gun but woman are tough as nails if taught. They are like clay to form. If you fear any gun don't stick it in a girls hands. Done right she will make you look sick. Just why would you put anyone in danger like that? It is just plain sick.

I'm thinking she can shoot perfect scores with it, right after she picks it up on the ground each time.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by glockdoofus
Ive got two S&W 500's Why piddle with something less powerful. That's not all Ive got either.

My ego doesn't need to be salved. It seems like your does. Or you wouldn't want to be arguing with me on something like this.

Makes no sense to argue. The huge S&W has not much to write home about. I would say the .475 has more and a Freedom sucks. The BFR has some torque but is much better to shoot. The BFR has perfect dimensions and a long enough cylinder. A Freedom is a cobbled up POS but I never met one that hurt me either. The .454 is no more then a .44. They can be shot as good as it gets but will never out shoot a BFR or Ruger or last as long.
Of all the .500's I rate the JRH best of the best with .500 S&W brass shortened while the .500 Linebaugh needs special and a larger bullet. I do not like it and it is not better. I made a mold for it and can't use it for anything else.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I made the .500 Linebough mold for Marko and want him to take it free. But hate comes to play and when I see your hate it hurts. What the hell is wrong with some of you?

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Let's back up a couple pages. 40 S&W vs revolvers.

My Son in Law came out with a brand new Springfield Xd mod 2 3 inch in 40. It stings my hand, but I can shoot it.

Son in law is encouraging his young wife to shoot it. ( my daughter) She has never fired a handgun in her life.

She pulls the trigger on the Xd one time. Yells ow that hurts, and throws the piece down.

Wow, what a great way to introduce someone to the shooting sports. Teach them the entire deal is pain and misery.

It took me quite a while that day to get her to shoot again. But after watching her 9 year old son and 9 year old nephew each shoot a couple cylinders through my 327s she finally agreed to try it.

Then she was grinning like a kid as she slapped steel at 20 yds with a 4 5/8" single seven and a 4 inch SP 101. The load? 78 gr lasercast over 3 gr Universal.

Once she learns shooting can be fun, then we can bump up the load levels. And she will then be motivated to learn how to handle the heavier stuff.

She would have never even tried to learn if all she had to work with was her husband's 40.

But, now I see I have been doing it all wrong. The next new shooter who comes along, I will stuff my 26 oz Taurus Titanium Tracker full of 41 magnum 210 gr over 25 gr of H110.

I will just tell them, "You mamby, pamby, puzzy, snowflake. Wipe the tears out of your eyes and pull that trigger." And then hope the next round is not aimed at my head.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Grip strength is a thing. It can be measured, and it makes a difference in how well one can control recoil. It should be obvious that someone who has physical difficulty controlling recoil will not like shooting handguns that exceed a certain recoil level, and may even lack the ability to make rapid and well aimed follow-up shots. I have observed many people of small stature, especially women and children, who lack the grip strength required to control heavy recoil but learn quickly to shoot milder handguns well.

Does anybody bother to measure a potential new shooter's grip strength before choosing a gun and load to start with? I'd bet damned few. It might be obvious with a lot of people, but I, for one, have been fooled by appeareance. Not many folks these days grow up using their hands for much more intense than running a keyboard. You can certainly train that out in most cases, but not necessarily in minutes.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One of the skills necessary to become proficient with a handgun, and many say the most important, is the ability to call your shot. In the instant the handgun fires you KNOW based on the sight picture where the bullet will strike the target. At some level, even subconsciously, a good shooter calls almost every shot. An inexperienced shooter will fire five rounds at the target and not have clue where the bullets went. Learning to call your shot is one of the main goals of dry firing - it's just you and the sights and the trigger. Clacking away while watching TV has its merits to learn a trigger break, but that is unique to that trigger. Dry firing with the sights incorporates trigger skills, but also the universal skill of calling your shot.

Dry firing rolls into live firing. The fewer distractions a new shooter has, such as muzzle blast and recoil, the easier it will be to incorporate dry firing skills into live firing skills. Intentionally adding recoil and muzzle blast distractions into that process with a new shooter is idiotic.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Recoil never bothered me. I was a kid and borrowed a side by side Ithaca to hunt rabbits. For fun I would yank both triggers to spin a circle. I had to quit when the forearm came off and the barrels hit the ground. I was 14 when I got my model 27 S&W. At 16 I got my Mark IV .300 Weatherby. I bought my flat top Ruger .44 in 1956 and shot the 429421 with 22 gr of 2400. I put silver inlays in the front sight for distance but to break rocks at 600+ yards on the RR bank took most of the barrel above the rear sight. I put masking tape on the barrel. I have owned 5 S&W 29's. I did shoot a 2-1/2" group at 500 yards with my BFR in 45-70. Had to aim 26 to 30' at a tree limb to hit steel.
My favorite guns to shoot today are the .475 and .500 JRH BFR's. Joe up town was here and I got him to shoot it twice and he hit paper. He kept looking at his hand after. John was here and both John and I shot less then 1/2" groups. I made the 440 gr mold for the .500 and it did a one hole group from Whitworths JRH at 50 yards. Joe says a revolver was not made for distance and was never made for hunting. Maybe you should ask Whitworth and JWP about THAT. To see Whitworth take little water bottles off hand from a tree stand at 100+ yards might change how you think. Whit was here when I shot an empty paint spray can at 200 yards with my 45-70 BFR from Creedmore.
Most recoil problems come from guys buying real short barrels and super light revolvers and yes they sting like mad. I have shot many .357 revolvers that are worse then the .500. My friend has a license and got me the .475, came to shoot and did not wear a cap for the sun. I held a cardboard to shade him and he hollered. He split his head wide open and got a shiner you would not believe. He said he likes to hold his guns loose. My fault for not instructing him. His comment was "I don't like your guns."
But if you think shooting a .22 will cure a flinch, forget it. When you get a beast in your hand you will be jello. I shot with the Cleveland police and seen them cry with .38 specials. I touched off my .44 mag and all the cops stepped back to see what in the world went off.
My neighbor is an air marshal and I would not want to be on a plane if he shot. .357 Sig. Joe, the marshal and the fireman down the road takes that "stance." 7 yards and can't hit a thing. Lean with a hunchback and it looks like they will fall on their face. Eyeballs like footballs if I hold my gun out to them
True I have run down unsafe practices but never the man. Safety is first and I don't care what you call me or say so if you told anyone to do wrong maybe you should stop and think. I only explain what not to do. You DO NOT put 25 gr of 296 behind a 320 gr bullet in a .44. Yet it is posted.
Maybe some of you should learn what a revolver can do.

Hell here i thought Elmer Keith died 35 plus yrs ago..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Hallelujah, Hallelujah.

I AM THE GOOD FRIEND OF RENEGADE50.
HE MENTORS ME.
HE PUNISHES ME WHEN I AM WRONG.
HE CALLS ME OUT WHEN I AM LYING.
HE CARES GREATLY ABOUT ME.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Mind over recoil. That's where its at.

HE MENTORS ME.

IC B3

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Started my kids off with a Beretta Model 21. When they had that down and wanted something "bigger" it was single action .22 mag.

Then up a 6" Colt King Cobra loaded with .38 spl loaded with 148 wad cutters and 2.6 grains of Accurate #2 @ about 600 fps.
Once they mastered that, I slowly increased at their own pace and request up to fully charged .357 loads..

My youngest was deathly afraid to shoot a .223, but would shoot a single shot .410 3" mag all day long. Once she tried the .223, she
wondered why she had been so fearful of it.

My children love to shoot. Their favorite pistols are model 1911 .45 acp's

Let people move at their own pace and comfort levels instead of thinking that it's funny to give an 8 year old a .30-06 with 180 grain loads.
Only idiots do that kind of stuff to people.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
"My youngest was deathly afraid to shoot a .223, but would shoot a single shot .410 3" mag all day long. Once she tried the .223, she
wondered why she had been so fearful of it."

It is in the mind.

HE MENTORS ME.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

It is in the mind.

How would you know when you don’t have one...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have enough mind to know it is mind over recoil. More than most have,

Originally Posted by shrapnel

It is in the mind.

HE MENTORS ME.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I

I have known a few folks who could be accurately described as numb from the neck up.

Much like a pit bull, unaware of pain and injury, until the Dr looks at an X-ray and asks "When did you break THAT bone?"

Uh, duh, I don't know.

I bet "mind over recoil" is easy for them.

But pain hurts most people.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

It is in the mind.

You can't shoot.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
You are like the other mental giants. You are right I cant shoot. I cause the gun to shoot. So there MG you are right I cant shoot and neither do the rest of you. What do you do to shoot hold the cartridge in your teeth and have your someone hit you in the back of the head with a ball bat to fire the cartridge? Do you have to poke your eyes back in their sockets because the bat or of the cartridge firing?
Do you clean your drawers each shot or do you wait till you shoot several rounds before you hose yourself off? Or do you stick the cartridge up your rectum like a suppository and have your boyfriend hit it with a ball peen hammer so the bullet comes out of your mouth?
So you shoot right?

Originally Posted by deflave

It is in the mind.

You can't shoot.

HE MENTORS ME.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Boy that is genius there for sure. Pain is hurt and Hurt is pain. If hurt isn't pain it sure wouldn't be called pain. One needs to be a neurologist to figure that out. Some goofball like me cant. I wish I was a mental giant too but alas if not for the dumb rectums like me you Mental Giants wouldn't know you are mental giants. So idiots like me serves a purpose to bolster the egos of the mental giants.

Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

I have known a few folks who could be accurately described as numb from the neck up.

Much like a pit bull, unaware of pain and injury, until the Dr looks at an X-ray and asks "When did you break THAT bone?"

Uh, duh, I don't know.

I bet "mind over recoil" is easy for them.

But pain hurts most people.

HE MENTORS ME.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
You are like the other mental giants. You are right I cant shoot. I cause the gun to shoot. So there MG you are right I cant shoot and neither do the rest of you. What do you do to shoot hold the cartridge in your teeth and have your someone hit you in the back of the head with a ball bat to fire the cartridge? Do you have to poke your eyes back in their sockets because the bat or of the cartridge firing?
Do you clean your drawers each shot or do you wait till you shoot several rounds before you hose yourself off? Or do you stick the cartridge up your rectum like a suppository and have your boyfriend hit it with a ball peen hammer so the bullet comes out of your mouth?
So you shoot right?

Babble to your heart's content.

You still can't shoot.

Love those 100yd targets you post though. LMAO.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Hey I said I cant shoot the gun does. What else do you want me to say? That an alien shoots them. Okay I will an alien shot my 44 Mags today. There you go Doofus II. I knew you wanted a title like I have. Doofus II alias Deprave.

Originally Posted by deflave
So you shoot right?

Babble to your heart's content.

You still can't shoot.

Love those 100yd targets you post though. LMAO.

HE MENTORS ME.

Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

288 members (10gaugemag, 264mag, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 39 invisible), 1,791 guests, and 1,096 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,090
Posts18,522,048
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.