-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Soft market and sometimes enough is enough...

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Vanilla guns in vanilla calibers are not great investments.

guns to me are like legal crack
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by ccrifles
The used market is extremely soft, as is the new market. Most items are over priced when you consider they are just that, used. Most guys price their stuff like it belonged to Elvis. I hate to point out a single ad, but right now there is a used Tikka T1 .22 rifle for $460 here. Bass Pro has them on sale new now for $469. Why would a guy pay $9 less, sight unseen, for a used one that he will probably have to pay additional to transfer through an FFL. Not trying to pick on the seller, but it's a great example. You drive it off the lot and it depreciates. Guys here like to experiment with guns, and then expect to get all their money out them. Just about anything you see used on here you can find in a search new for a bargain these days. Guns are not a great investment, and scopes are worse.

First of all, the t1x you mention is new in box. 2nd, where I live at bass pro I would pay 469 plus 9.75% tax plus 10.00 background Ck. Total 520.00 or so. I could buy warpigs nib for 460, add 25 transfer, 10 background for total of 495. I personally would rather save 25 n trade on fire. To each his own. Perhaps it's not warpigs you are speaking of. One more thing, the 25 transfer fee helps a small gun shop.

Last edited by rick1977; 05/11/19.

For we preach not ourselves, but Christ Jesus the Lord, and ourselves your servants for Jesus sake. 2 Corinthians 4:5
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Most items are over priced when you consider they are just that, used. Most guys price their stuff like it belonged to Elvis. I hate to point out a single ad, but right now there is a used Tikka T1 .22 rifle for $460 here. Bass Pro has them on sale new now for $469. Why would a guy pay $9 less, sight unseen, for a used one that he will probably have to pay additional to transfer through an FFL. Not trying to pick on the seller, but it's a great example. You drive it off the lot and it depreciates. Guys here like to experiment with guns, and then expect to get all their money out them. Just about anything you see used on here you can find in a search new for a bargain these days. Guns are not a great investment, and scopes are worse.

Exactly. I seen a couple of 20 year old Leupold 3-9's on here yesterday and they was wanting right at $300 each for them. I would have thought hard about giving them $150 each. I can buy a brand new Leupold VX3i for just a few dollars difference.

89-92 7th INF. DIV.
92-93 RASP-Ranger Tab
93-97 1ST BN

D
d500lnn Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Diablero
Most items are over priced when you consider they are just that, used. Most guys price their stuff like it belonged to Elvis. I hate to point out a single ad, but right now there is a used Tikka T1 .22 rifle for $460 here. Bass Pro has them on sale new now for $469. Why would a guy pay $9 less, sight unseen, for a used one that he will probably have to pay additional to transfer through an FFL. Not trying to pick on the seller, but it's a great example. You drive it off the lot and it depreciates. Guys here like to experiment with guns, and then expect to get all their money out them. Just about anything you see used on here you can find in a search new for a bargain these days. Guns are not a great investment, and scopes are worse.

Exactly. I seen a couple of 20 year old Leupold 3-9's on here yesterday and they was wanting right at $300 for them. I can buy a brand new Leupold VX3i for just a few dollars difference.

Certain older scopes are worth a considerable amount of money. Certain rifles I know will drag a premium and I get that. I have a few rifles on here now that are listed for an elderly friend. He’s priced them pretty darn close to where they should be. One I told him will never sell or be very hard. The two others are great rifles and are within $100 dollars of selling immediately. I’m confused as to why no one will even make an offer? I feel people want something for well under value so they may be able to sell and not lose either......who knows🤷🏻‍♂️

Regards,
Nick- Georgia
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by d500lnn

Certain older scopes are worth a considerable amount of money. Certain rifles I know will drag a premium and I get that. I have a few rifles on here now that are listed for an elderly friend. He’s priced them pretty darn close to where they should be. One I told him will never sell or be very hard. The two others are great rifles and are within $100 dollars of selling immediately. I’m confused as to why no one will even make an offer? I feel people want something for well under value so they may be able to sell and not lose either......who knows🤷🏻‍♂️

Sir I agree with your statement as well but today's generation don't don't appreciate the walnut and blue of yesteryear like some of us do and they can buy a Ruger American for $300 and it shoot just as good or better than premium rifles in the $1200 to whatever price range. I'm not a collector but if you are today, sadly I'm afraid your investments are not going to hold up.

89-92 7th INF. DIV.
92-93 RASP-Ranger Tab
93-97 1ST BN

D
d500lnn Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by d500lnn

Sir I agree with your statement as well but today's generation don't don't appreciate the walnut and blue of yesteryear like some of us do and they can buy a Ruger American for $300 and it shoot just as good or better than premium rifles in the $1200 to whatever price range. I'm not a collector but if you are today, sadly I'm afraid your investments are not going to hold up.

I agree. I’m a collector of sorts. I know I don’t need all the hunting rifles that I own, but I sure like them. I’ve worked hard to build a stable of high quality rifles that I’ll have a hard time letting any of them go. I have one cheap rifle and the rest are quite nice. I’m likely done building rifles. Someone earlier eluded to the fact you can buy factory rifles with high quality components that they shoot lights out, plus have amazing fit and finish. I have a few factory configs that are truly amazing in every way. KS rifles and a Fieldcraft that is nothing short of amazing. I wouldn’t dump that rifle for what it’s “worth”....

Regards,
Nick- Georgia
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Exactly. I seen a couple of 20 year old Leupold 3-9's on here yesterday and they was wanting right at $300 each for them. I would have thought hard about giving them $150 each. I can buy a brand new Leupold VX3i for just a few dollars difference.

Bad example. I’ve seen 3 of these listed in the last week or 2. They all were listed in the $250-300 range and all sold in less than 24hrs. One of them was mine.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by ShortMag11

Bad example. I’ve seen 3 of these listed in the last week or 2. They all were listed in the $250-300 range and all sold in less than 24hrs. One of them was mine.

No not a bad example. I didn't say who owned what and don't even remember. I didn't make the statement that they would not sell. I said what I would do. Me myself would put a few dollars with that price and buy a newer up to date scope. I'm glad someone bought your scope.

89-92 7th INF. DIV.
92-93 RASP-Ranger Tab
93-97 1ST BN

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Whinner.

You'll shoot your eye out
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Quality stuff is a limited market.

Everyone needs a knife. Most will do with $20 Walmart’s special. Not a $300 custom.

Sa,e with guns. Optics. Etc..

If you are selling a nightforce scope. There’s only a few ppl looking to buy one.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I have sold a couple of high dollar pieces on Guns International pretty easily at solid prices. The latest, a fine custom rifle I listed for $6k and sold for $5.7k. The buyer was pleased and I was pleased. The 'fire is not the place to try and sell such stuff.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
"Quality stuff is a limited market" ..........very true indeed, and many of us selling to that market unfortunately can be a bit thin skinned at times and can't understand why someone else wouldn't jump all over our "deal" for this amazing piece of the day.

Custom, and even semi custom guns for the most part fail miserably at holding value unless you find your clone that happens to have the cash and want for what you have, simple fact. Not always easy to swallow, but it is a proven fact here and on any other of the dozens of boards I've perused and purchased from. That and the afore-mentioned reality of not holding it in your hands before deciding, how many "safe dings" or other cosmetic flaws "easily buffed out, etc", how true "never shot, just mounted a scope and looked through it" really is, and you all know this list goes on and on. Just no substitute for seeing something firsthand and holding/testing it before buying, and that is ESPECIALLY true for higher priced items. That has to figure into the price, just like shipping, insurance, dealer fee, etc etc.

At the end of the day, used is still used, and it all comes down to how long you may be willing to wait for the sale.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
There are several variables that cause this. It is definitely a “soft” market right now but it seems to have been that way for a little while now. But more importantly most people buying on the fire are either looking for a “steal” of a deal or a very specific item. If your item doesn’t fit either of those 2 descriptions you would be better off listing it on an auction site or local sportsman’s website.

Also, end of model year/discontinued/clearance sale items killed the used market. This has happened with several higher end scope lines in the last few years. And even the Leupold Freedom line scopes recently.

Another thing is some people walk into their local gun shop or sporting goods store and pay retail prices for things and then want to sell the used item online for 10-20% less than what he paid for it new. Well the problem with that is the same item can usually be purchased brand new online for a very similar price to what he is wanting for his used item. With that being said I’d spend a little extra $ to buy a new item from a store/dealer versus an individual who’s selling the same item listed as lightly used or even LNIB.

I would like to say items that are fairly priced on the fire they will sell but I have seen many items that were priced “right” recently that just sit there and sit there.

I think it not being close to hunting season hurts pricing and sales a little bit too

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Part of what makes the classifieds here good, is also bad. It's active and ads can get buried fairly quickly. It all depends on the right buyer(s) seeing the ad when they happen to be looking.

O
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
National politics may be a factor also. With Trump and the republicans in control the urgency is not there like it was with Obama.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I've always thought of the "Campfire Classifieds" as a good place to find a bargain.

Yes, I've sold plenty here in the past....most often at bargain prices....and usually, in order to scrounge up enough funds to purchase something else at a bargain price.

I don't smoke or drink or gamble...so, I have a little extra fun money to spend here. If I lose a few dollars on a sell...no biggie. I figure I'll gain that few extra bucks back when I find something else I want at a great price here in the future.

For the most part, buying here is entertainment to me...YMMV.

Leftybolt

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like the guys who apparently don't know that gap sells LRHSi scopes for a good price....and then ask $80 bux over a new one.

I'm sitting on a sako custom in a mcmillan that I'd love to sell, but if it's not worth selling.....I'll burn powder!

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I haven’t seen these “give-away prices” you speak of very often. I did pick up a like new Uberti Schofield 45 Colt 7.5 for $700 shipped.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
with lower-end rifles commonly shooting moa or better there is little reason to pay more for a "quality" rifle that may or may not shoot well. same for scopes. a $200.00 (or less) scope will meet every need of the newer hunters. we older folks know and appreciate "quality" guns, but odds are we already own what we want, thus the soft market. just one mans opinion.

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 222Sako, 1lesfox, 12344mag, 1badf350, 64 invisible), 2,406 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,511
Posts18,509,390
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.