Home
I’ve noticed here for the last year plus some high quaility scopes and firearms that have had to be placed at “give-away” prices and still not sell. In addition, if folks are out of the “current market” price are they getting offers on their ads? I’ve got a couple pretty nice rifles I’m considering selling, but the current market seems like a tough one to sell in.

What are your opinions on this topic?
Put em' up for sale. Don't cost you nothing. Can't lose much that way!
If you price your items competitively relative to the current market your items will sell. No different than any other time,if you are looking for premium prices the fire is not the place.
Because people ask new prices for used stuff. It'll sell if priced right.
Market is "soft" everywhere. However, focusing just on this websites classifieds, poor pictures, too high of prices, and overall "saturated market" tends to slow things down a bit.

Not to mention every NEW thing is ON SALE in regards to guns, scopes, reloading, etc.

But, price it right and even these classifieds put out.
It's a losing deal to sell "most" higher cost quality guns and scopes here on the fire. Occasionally something will sell for what it's worth, but it's rare for a higher cost item to do that.
No one knows what anything is worth after 8 years of clownery!
Because people are cheap.

Hey, just calling it like I see it!

Lots of folks are over-pricing things as well, here and elsewhere. But I have a number of items listed on other forums for WELL below retail, and they're not moving. Heck, I have a BNIB Geissele National Match AR trigger for $210 shipped, which is more than 25% off, and I still have a few folks pulling the lazy ol' "What's your lowest price?" That, or low-balling me ("I'll give you $160 right now."). I'm not giving my stuff away. People want it, they can pay a fair price. If they don't want it that bad, move on. That trigger runs $280 new plus shipping, but I guess $70 off isn't a deal anymore, go figure.

The market as a whole is pretty soft right now, unless you're selling something that was released in the past week. Then everybody and their dog has to have it, but once it passes two weeks old, nobody wants to touch it. laugh
Originally Posted by 303savage
If you price your items competitively relative to the current market your items will sell. No different than any other time,if you are looking for premium prices the fire is not the place.

This is my opinion, as well.
donsm70
I feel that after a certain threshold, items just lose a lot of potential buyers. I would put that value at $600. There could be a browning blr at 600$ (20% discount) that's worth $ 720 any day of the week but the Nikon scope at $ 144(20% discount) that's worth 180, will have more potential buyers . In theory, if something is at a good price, a member will collect enough money to warrant the higher cost. You just have to play the numbers game.
Originally Posted by donsm70

donsm70

+1
I agree with most of what has been said. The Fire seems to attract lower end offers then other sites, not to mention lots of hard talk and harassment you don’t get on sites that are moderated well. I have bought and sold a few things on the Fire but don’t need the drama that comes with hanging out here.
Originally Posted by donsm70

donsm70

I agree to some extent, but I did see a nice rifle for sale the other week that was down to almost $2k (I think GA Precision) and it didn’t sell on site. A deal was cut, but in PM. That rifle was worth every penny of the first price reduction?

Also, do you think the future there will be no more private sales on gun classifieds sites? I could see that happening....
Originally Posted by d500lnn

Also, do you think the future there will be no more private sales on gun classifieds sites? I could see that happening....

Sales have to go through an FFL (unless in one's own State) so I don't see how that can be regulated out. I can, however, see no private sales being allowed in the near future...I don't agree with it, but I see that happening.
I know high priced custom rifles aren’t bringing near as much these days. You used to have to spend 2-3 grand plus the initial cost on a rifle to get it to shoot like a $1599 fieldcraft, or worse yet, I bought a hells canyon speed that shoots every factory load I’ve tried under an inch with my two favorites at .4 and .6 every day with a little z3. I’m just a hunter, not some super long range guy but I can kill anything I need to with complete confidence to 500 yards with a 7lb gun. I tend to agree with some of the above posters that I am not interested in anybody’s used firearm for 100$ off what a new one cost. Optics don't seem quite so bad with pricing but I do laugh when I see a 20 yr old pair of swaros for 800 bucks. That garbage doesn’t draw my interest at all
Originally Posted by ken158
I agree with most of what has been said. The Fire seems to attract lower end offers then other sites, not to mention lots of hard talk and harassment you don’t get on sites that are moderated well. I have bought and sold a few things on the Fire but don’t need the drama that comes with hanging out here.

Spot on. Also seems that anything above the $6-700 dollar range has been very tough to move in the last 6 months. Funny that I see a lot of used guns in our local shops that get snatched up at near new retail prices - yet a private seller has to play give-away.
Hard to find quality firearms in excellent condition usually move pretty fast if priced right.
The used market is extremely soft, as is the new market. Most items are over priced when you consider they are just that, used. Most guys price their stuff like it belonged to Elvis. I hate to point out a single ad, but right now there is a used Tikka T1 .22 rifle for $460 here. Bass Pro has them on sale new now for $469. Why would a guy pay $9 less, sight unseen, for a used one that he will probably have to pay additional to transfer through an FFL. Not trying to pick on the seller, but it's a great example. You drive it off the lot and it depreciates. Guys here like to experiment with guns, and then expect to get all their money out them. Just about anything you see used on here you can find in a search new for a bargain these days. Guns are not a great investment, and scopes are worse.
Vanilla guns in vanilla calibers are not great investments.
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
Because people ask new prices for used stuff. It'll sell if priced right.

This. And the market is soft. Really soft.

Price it at what an equivalent item on eBay or gunbroker has actually sold for in the last six months, and it will usually sell. Not pie in the sky, been there for 18 months listings - but actual completed listings.

Heed the “I wouldn't sell mine for that” advice and - in the current market, more often than not - no, you won't, because somebody will go to gunbroker and buy one for 20% less ...
Soft market and sometimes enough is enough...
Vanilla guns in vanilla calibers are not great investments.
Originally Posted by ccrifles
The used market is extremely soft, as is the new market. Most items are over priced when you consider they are just that, used. Most guys price their stuff like it belonged to Elvis. I hate to point out a single ad, but right now there is a used Tikka T1 .22 rifle for $460 here. Bass Pro has them on sale new now for $469. Why would a guy pay $9 less, sight unseen, for a used one that he will probably have to pay additional to transfer through an FFL. Not trying to pick on the seller, but it's a great example. You drive it off the lot and it depreciates. Guys here like to experiment with guns, and then expect to get all their money out them. Just about anything you see used on here you can find in a search new for a bargain these days. Guns are not a great investment, and scopes are worse.

First of all, the t1x you mention is new in box. 2nd, where I live at bass pro I would pay 469 plus 9.75% tax plus 10.00 background Ck. Total 520.00 or so. I could buy warpigs nib for 460, add 25 transfer, 10 background for total of 495. I personally would rather save 25 n trade on fire. To each his own. Perhaps it's not warpigs you are speaking of. One more thing, the 25 transfer fee helps a small gun shop.
Most items are over priced when you consider they are just that, used. Most guys price their stuff like it belonged to Elvis. I hate to point out a single ad, but right now there is a used Tikka T1 .22 rifle for $460 here. Bass Pro has them on sale new now for $469. Why would a guy pay $9 less, sight unseen, for a used one that he will probably have to pay additional to transfer through an FFL. Not trying to pick on the seller, but it's a great example. You drive it off the lot and it depreciates. Guys here like to experiment with guns, and then expect to get all their money out them. Just about anything you see used on here you can find in a search new for a bargain these days. Guns are not a great investment, and scopes are worse.

Exactly. I seen a couple of 20 year old Leupold 3-9's on here yesterday and they was wanting right at $300 each for them. I would have thought hard about giving them $150 each. I can buy a brand new Leupold VX3i for just a few dollars difference.

Originally Posted by Diablero
Most items are over priced when you consider they are just that, used. Most guys price their stuff like it belonged to Elvis. I hate to point out a single ad, but right now there is a used Tikka T1 .22 rifle for $460 here. Bass Pro has them on sale new now for $469. Why would a guy pay $9 less, sight unseen, for a used one that he will probably have to pay additional to transfer through an FFL. Not trying to pick on the seller, but it's a great example. You drive it off the lot and it depreciates. Guys here like to experiment with guns, and then expect to get all their money out them. Just about anything you see used on here you can find in a search new for a bargain these days. Guns are not a great investment, and scopes are worse.

Exactly. I seen a couple of 20 year old Leupold 3-9's on here yesterday and they was wanting right at $300 for them. I can buy a brand new Leupold VX3i for just a few dollars difference.

Certain older scopes are worth a considerable amount of money. Certain rifles I know will drag a premium and I get that. I have a few rifles on here now that are listed for an elderly friend. He’s priced them pretty darn close to where they should be. One I told him will never sell or be very hard. The two others are great rifles and are within $100 dollars of selling immediately. I’m confused as to why no one will even make an offer? I feel people want something for well under value so they may be able to sell and not lose either......who knows🤷🏻‍♂️

Certain older scopes are worth a considerable amount of money. Certain rifles I know will drag a premium and I get that. I have a few rifles on here now that are listed for an elderly friend. He’s priced them pretty darn close to where they should be. One I told him will never sell or be very hard. The two others are great rifles and are within $100 dollars of selling immediately. I’m confused as to why no one will even make an offer? I feel people want something for well under value so they may be able to sell and not lose either......who knows🤷🏻‍♂️

Sir I agree with your statement as well but today's generation don't don't appreciate the walnut and blue of yesteryear like some of us do and they can buy a Ruger American for $300 and it shoot just as good or better than premium rifles in the $1200 to whatever price range. I'm not a collector but if you are today, sadly I'm afraid your investments are not going to hold up.

Sir I agree with your statement as well but today's generation don't don't appreciate the walnut and blue of yesteryear like some of us do and they can buy a Ruger American for $300 and it shoot just as good or better than premium rifles in the $1200 to whatever price range. I'm not a collector but if you are today, sadly I'm afraid your investments are not going to hold up.

I agree. I’m a collector of sorts. I know I don’t need all the hunting rifles that I own, but I sure like them. I’ve worked hard to build a stable of high quality rifles that I’ll have a hard time letting any of them go. I have one cheap rifle and the rest are quite nice. I’m likely done building rifles. Someone earlier eluded to the fact you can buy factory rifles with high quality components that they shoot lights out, plus have amazing fit and finish. I have a few factory configs that are truly amazing in every way. KS rifles and a Fieldcraft that is nothing short of amazing. I wouldn’t dump that rifle for what it’s “worth”....

Exactly. I seen a couple of 20 year old Leupold 3-9's on here yesterday and they was wanting right at $300 each for them. I would have thought hard about giving them $150 each. I can buy a brand new Leupold VX3i for just a few dollars difference.

Bad example. I’ve seen 3 of these listed in the last week or 2. They all were listed in the $250-300 range and all sold in less than 24hrs. One of them was mine.
Originally Posted by ShortMag11

Bad example. I’ve seen 3 of these listed in the last week or 2. They all were listed in the $250-300 range and all sold in less than 24hrs. One of them was mine.

No not a bad example. I didn't say who owned what and don't even remember. I didn't make the statement that they would not sell. I said what I would do. Me myself would put a few dollars with that price and buy a newer up to date scope. I'm glad someone bought your scope.
Whinner.
Quality stuff is a limited market.

Everyone needs a knife. Most will do with $20 Walmart’s special. Not a $300 custom.

Sa,e with guns. Optics. Etc..

If you are selling a nightforce scope. There’s only a few ppl looking to buy one.
I have sold a couple of high dollar pieces on Guns International pretty easily at solid prices. The latest, a fine custom rifle I listed for $6k and sold for $5.7k. The buyer was pleased and I was pleased. The 'fire is not the place to try and sell such stuff.
"Quality stuff is a limited market" ..........very true indeed, and many of us selling to that market unfortunately can be a bit thin skinned at times and can't understand why someone else wouldn't jump all over our "deal" for this amazing piece of the day.

Custom, and even semi custom guns for the most part fail miserably at holding value unless you find your clone that happens to have the cash and want for what you have, simple fact. Not always easy to swallow, but it is a proven fact here and on any other of the dozens of boards I've perused and purchased from. That and the afore-mentioned reality of not holding it in your hands before deciding, how many "safe dings" or other cosmetic flaws "easily buffed out, etc", how true "never shot, just mounted a scope and looked through it" really is, and you all know this list goes on and on. Just no substitute for seeing something firsthand and holding/testing it before buying, and that is ESPECIALLY true for higher priced items. That has to figure into the price, just like shipping, insurance, dealer fee, etc etc.

At the end of the day, used is still used, and it all comes down to how long you may be willing to wait for the sale.
There are several variables that cause this. It is definitely a “soft” market right now but it seems to have been that way for a little while now. But more importantly most people buying on the fire are either looking for a “steal” of a deal or a very specific item. If your item doesn’t fit either of those 2 descriptions you would be better off listing it on an auction site or local sportsman’s website.

Also, end of model year/discontinued/clearance sale items killed the used market. This has happened with several higher end scope lines in the last few years. And even the Leupold Freedom line scopes recently.

Another thing is some people walk into their local gun shop or sporting goods store and pay retail prices for things and then want to sell the used item online for 10-20% less than what he paid for it new. Well the problem with that is the same item can usually be purchased brand new online for a very similar price to what he is wanting for his used item. With that being said I’d spend a little extra $ to buy a new item from a store/dealer versus an individual who’s selling the same item listed as lightly used or even LNIB.

I would like to say items that are fairly priced on the fire they will sell but I have seen many items that were priced “right” recently that just sit there and sit there.

I think it not being close to hunting season hurts pricing and sales a little bit too
Part of what makes the classifieds here good, is also bad. It's active and ads can get buried fairly quickly. It all depends on the right buyer(s) seeing the ad when they happen to be looking.
National politics may be a factor also. With Trump and the republicans in control the urgency is not there like it was with Obama.
I've always thought of the "Campfire Classifieds" as a good place to find a bargain.

Yes, I've sold plenty here in the past....most often at bargain prices....and usually, in order to scrounge up enough funds to purchase something else at a bargain price.

I don't smoke or drink or gamble...so, I have a little extra fun money to spend here. If I lose a few dollars on a sell...no biggie. I figure I'll gain that few extra bucks back when I find something else I want at a great price here in the future.

For the most part, buying here is entertainment to me...YMMV.

Leftybolt
I like the guys who apparently don't know that gap sells LRHSi scopes for a good price....and then ask $80 bux over a new one.

I'm sitting on a sako custom in a mcmillan that I'd love to sell, but if it's not worth selling.....I'll burn powder!
I haven’t seen these “give-away prices” you speak of very often. I did pick up a like new Uberti Schofield 45 Colt 7.5 for $700 shipped.
with lower-end rifles commonly shooting moa or better there is little reason to pay more for a "quality" rifle that may or may not shoot well. same for scopes. a $200.00 (or less) scope will meet every need of the newer hunters. we older folks know and appreciate "quality" guns, but odds are we already own what we want, thus the soft market. just one mans opinion.
Very soft market.
Pricing reality has not caught up with the soft market.
Was at a gun show in the past year and saw 22lr ammo at prices at least 25% higher than you can buy them retail or off the numerous ammo sites.
Quality needs a market.

Do i need a set of Norseman drills for $100 or go to Home Depot and get a set for $30?
Before I try to sell anything I check buds and grab a gun or some of the good retailers on line. I try to price well under them. Why would someone buy my used gun for close to or the same as they can get a new one.? I see a lot of guys pricing a used gun at or above what a new one is selling for, then complain about cheap people who won't buy it. You have to figure everyone one the fire can probably use Google. It's just an educated marketplace.
What some of the custom knives are going for is ridiculous . The time, effort and craftsmanship that go into those pieces are worth more than they are going for. Best deals on the fire as far as I’m concerned.
If the advertisement is reasonably well written with some decent photos (which many fail at), then, by definition, if it doesn't sell it is priced too high.

In other words, no matter how much a person wishes their gun is worth, the market doesn't lie.
It's Trumps fault .

if you think prices are high here go to a gun show.

I have a few things for sale , but always end up buying more .

My interests usually fall in the C&R category....no transfer in a gun shop.

If your item sells quickly...........you priced it too low.
Originally Posted by shinbone
If the advertisement is reasonably well written with some decent photos (which many fail at), then, by definition, if it doesn't sell it is priced too high. No matter how much a person wishes their gun is worth, the market doesn't lie.

Not true. The market isn’t only where it is advertised. The potential buyer may not even be seeing the ad. There are thousands of buyers that would pay what something is worth, but don’t know where to look but the normal venues, such as retail stores.

A narrow field, such as the classifieds on the Campfire is not a real measuring stick to what value is. Just because it doesn’t sell, doesn’t mean it is priced too high, it can mean that the serious buyer doesn’t know it is for sale...
I’m always looking for something that I’d like, but I don’t need anything. That means that I’m not in a rush and I’m not going to pay top dollar, I suspect many folks here are in similar circumstances. If you want top dollar you need people competing for it.
It’s worth what someone will pay for it.
I'm sorry the dealers here are unhappy that we don't line up to pay their prices, but I'm looking to get the most for my dollars.
When what I want, need, and can afford comes up, mostly I'll post a "I'll take it".

Exactly. I seen a couple of 20 year old Leupold 3-9's on here yesterday and they was wanting right at $300 for them. I can buy a brand new Leupold VX3i for just a few dollars difference.

no one makes an offer because if they do they get ragged on for low balling the seller(not me) but other buyers was.
Originally Posted by Tracks
I'm sorry the dealers here are unhappy that we don't line up to pay their prices, but I'm looking to get the most for my dollars.
When what I want, need, and can afford comes up, mostly I'll post a "I'll take it".

THIS

The original theme of this thread is "Quality." Old used stuff, priced for unexpected lottery gains is another thing. Quality is usually higher end, expensive stuff and the market for those things is very limited. If you look at the Campfire Classifieds, most of the stuff is "bread and butter' common guns and accessories, just trying to be moved. The quality stuff is always more expensive and doesn't sell due to the number of people that won't buy it, not because of the value...
Maybe its just the same guys selling to the same guys over and over , just taking turns keeping the stuff in their closets and safes. I don't sell here anymore for the most part. If I price my items to sell I get ridiculed , if I price it what its worth I get ridiculed. The fire isn't what it use to be but what is? Its also free so there's that.

What you probably don’t realize is the person selling that rifle is an actual dealer and is offering a brand new in box firearm no one else has had transferred to them. With that you are saving say a minimum of 7% sales tax plus the money difference between the gun at bass pro and his rifle..seems spot on?!

MK
Where are the quality items with a blood sale price that you are talking about?
I consider "custom" items as quality. However, a person never recovers the cost of custom items and can expect to only get a fraction of the dollars they spent. Firearms or any other custom items for that matter.
Originally Posted by shrapnel
If the advertisement is reasonably well written with some decent photos (which many fail at), then, by definition, if it doesn't sell it is priced too high. No matter how much a person wishes their gun is worth, the market doesn't lie.

Not true. The market isn’t only where it is advertised. The potential buyer may not even be seeing the ad. There are thousands of buyers that would pay what something is worth, but don’t know where to look but the normal venues, such as retail stores.

A narrow field, such as the classifieds on the Campfire is not a real measuring stick to what value is. Just because it doesn’t sell, doesn’t mean it is priced too high, it can mean that the serious buyer doesn’t know it is for sale...

I agree. 100%

Originally Posted by iviax
Where are the quality items with a blood sale price that you are talking about?

Sako Bavarian’s you have to give away. I’ve seen some nice older Sako’s for sale priced right and no sale. I’ve seen more modern custom builds go for < $2000 that are worth more than that(yes I understand you never get your custom money back). KS mountain rifles which are arguably the best rifle big green ever produced. Sako 75 are a little harder to sell. The Ti were hot for a while but cooled off. The only ones I see that sell by big green are CDL SF or mountain guides etc.......certain KS rifles I see go for much more like the Model Seven KS in 350 Rem Mag.

As far as scopes, I feel very fortunate on these classifieds. Before free classifieds, scopes were almost give away items. A quality optic (older Leupold, Zeiss, Leica, Swarovski, S&B, even older Bushnell) are worth the money.

Anyhow, I was just curious on this topic.
I think the demographic is changing. You can go buy a plastic rifle(no offense intended) that is accurate so why pay up for a classic that shoots just a bit better. I don't post much on this sight but have been watching it for 15 years. I couldn't afford some of the classics when I was younger and now I don't see the reason for some of them when I can get the accuracy for a lot less. I like vortex scopes now because you walk into scheels and just exchange for a new one vs sending one back to luepold/Nikon. (Convenience) A lot of the former customers are gone(deceased). The exceptional classics might hold but a decent shooter in good shape has a smaller customer base
I have had to sell many items for less than I wanted to sell for.Reality sets in and if you have an item you no longer need,it is better to take a small loss on it than have your old lady give it away when you croak.On the other side as a buyer ,you can usually negotiate a better price for something you crave.I go to a lot of gun shows because once in a while you are that blind squirrel that finds a nut.When I price something I try to leave some wiggle room for negotiating.How ever I don`t like low ballers and don`t give low ball offers that are insulting.I think a good deal is one that both the buyer and seller feel good about.JMHO,Huntz
Originally Posted by annieW7
I think the demographic is changing. You can go buy a plastic rifle(no offense intended) that is accurate so why pay up for a classic that shoots just a bit better. I don't post much on this sight but have been watching it for 15 years. I couldn't afford some of the classics when I was younger and now I don't see the reason for some of them when I can get the accuracy for a lot less. I like vortex scopes now because you walk into scheels and just exchange for a new one vs sending one back to luepold/Nikon. (Convenience) A lot of the former customers are gone(deceased). The exceptional classics might hold but a decent shooter in good shape has a smaller customer base

Back to the original post, the question is about quality items, not vanilla, everyday stuff...
FWIW - My experience here tells me two things:

items that are priced to sell get bought here quickly.

people generally think their rifles are worth more than they really are.
Recently listed a set of Meopta MeoPro 10x42HD binos; they were brand new in box replacements for a damaged pair. Priced them 10% below best online price and they sold in 2 hours and buyer and seller were satisfied. Optics do pretty well because the quality manufacturers will honor warranty on just about anything; not much risk to the buyer.
Originally Posted by ned
FWIW - My experience here tells me two things:

items that are priced to sell get bought here quickly.

Spot on

That's the case with most everything, not just rifles. But I know my stuff is worth a lot, and yours? not so much... smile

Originally Posted by Cruiser1
Recently listed a set of Meopta MeoPro 10x42HD binos; they were brand new in box replacements for a damaged pair. Priced them 10% below best online price and they sold in 2 hours and buyer and seller were satisfied. Optics do pretty well because the quality manufacturers will honor warranty on just about anything; not much risk to the buyer.

Yes...and thanks for the sweet deal!
I think this is a good discussion. What does one think about selling hunting rifles at certain times of the year? I buy something I want any time I see it. Do you think there is any credence in selling a rifle closer to hunting season?

I personally have had great luck selling my items on these sites like this. I sold a whole bunch of stuff recently. Small dollar odds and ends. I do currently have a couple scopes at I think very fair prices, but no takers. When I saw a similar scope in gloss in lesser condition sell for what I’m asking. I guess it’s a timing thing....as in everything in life.
Originally Posted by dogwater
Before I try to sell anything I check buds and grab a gun or some of the good retailers on line. I try to price well under them. Why would someone buy my used gun for close to or the same as they can get a new one.? I see a lot of guys pricing a used gun at or above what a new one is selling for, then complain about cheap people who won't buy it. You have to figure everyone one the fire can probably use Google. It's just an educated marketplace.

Trade in a gun at a gun store and you can expect to get 70-75% of the retail price of a new one, unless you have a very unusual, rare or special run of something.

Here, sellers expect to get 110% of the new price, I guess because 'they' owned it makes it special.
I bought some good rifles on here at good prices, every now and then you will see items priced to sell quickly. They do go fast. I’ve sold a lot of miscellaneous items that I could never have sold anywhere else. I’m thankful for the classifieds. I enjoy looking also.
Originally Posted by hanco
I bought some good rifles on here at good prices, every now and then you will see items priced to sell quickly. They do go fast. I’ve sold a lot of miscellaneous items that I could never have sold anywhere else. I’m thankful for the classifieds. I enjoy looking also.

100%
Originally Posted by Borchardt

Trade in a gun at a gun store and you can expect to get 70-75% of the retail price of a new one, unless you have a very unusual, rare or special run of something.

Here, sellers expect to get 110% of the new price, I guess because 'they' owned it makes it special.

I think this is exaggerated just a wee bit. Maybe if folks are selling savage or the ilk.......I don’t even stop at those
I think this is a good discussion. What does one think about selling hunting rifles at certain times of the year? I buy something I want any time I see it. Do you think there is any credence in selling a rifle closer to hunting season?

I personally have had great luck selling my items on these sites like this. I sold a whole bunch of stuff recently. Small dollar odds and ends. I do currently have a couple scopes at I think very fair prices, but no takers. When I saw a similar scope in gloss in lesser condition sell for what I’m asking. I guess it’s a timing thing....as in everything in life.

Right before the election is a great time to sell

Make that more like 40% of MSRP at a gunstore or pawn shop.

ya!

GWB
Buy high sell low. Always worked for me
I find decent deals on quality gear here pretty often.

Rokslide on the other hand rarely has stuff priced any better than 5% or maybe 10% at most below the new price. Those guys are a bunch of tight asses.
A lot of good points made here. I think this is one of the better Classified Forum's to buy and sell because of the audience. As previously stated though a posting may get buried fast not to be seen.

One of the major factors is the aging of gun collectors and hunters. Go to a gun show and most collectors are gray-haired (including me.) The taste of rifles, optics, gear has changed and we have more guns, ammo, gear being produced right now. As the aging collectors or their widows try to get rid of their collection they are just dumping more on the market and causes lower prices. I had a friend who helped a widow of his friend sell off his guns and ammo. It took about three years to get rid of everything and at some pretty heavy discounts.
It’s a buyer’s market right now for sure. The classifieds here have always been a goldmine for me personally when I have money to spend. I can normally find what I want at prices I’m happy with. I like dealing with people here much better than gunbroker or gunshows. Love they guys at my local gun store but I can generally find guns significantly cheaper online and just have them transferred at the lgs, I pay a transfer fee of $25 each time and will generally buy other stuff from them to help keep their doors open.
I like and use the classifieds her a lot. High end stuff limits the market, the higher end the product is the less people are going to be in that market. That is the way it is for everything. Why do You think ford and chevy sell more cars than Mercedes.
I'll be 68 this year.

I am a "junk man" at heart.

I've been buying, selling and accumulating stuff for 40 years +.

My kids are doing great and only one of them hunts and he's making more money than he can throw away and in his mid 30's has more guns than I do.

So in the future, I'm gonna get rid of some "stuff".

I can't think of anyone I'd rather have some of my "stuff" than some of the fine folks that post here.

It's hard to lose by making a profit, but on the other hand, nothing in life is free. Time and money. I don't know about y'all, but if I take my wife and kids out to dinner at a nice, or even nicer restaurant, I can spend anywhere from $100 to $1K, depending on where I go, and that experience only lasts a couple hours other than in my memory. If I've owned a knife, pistol gun or scope for years and have had the pleasure of using it, and sell it for a sum that is less than what I paid to acquire it, I consider that cheap entertainment.

Years ago I made my living for a time as a commercial real estate appraiser.

IIRC the definition of market value went something like this.........

Market value is the most probable price that a property (item or commodity) should bring in a competitive and open market under all conditions requisite to a fair sale, the buyer and seller, each acting prudently, knowledgeably and assuming the price is not affected by undue stimulus. Implicit in this definition is the consummation of a sale as of a specified date and the passing of title from seller to buyer under conditions whereby:

buyer and seller are typically motivated;

both parties are well informed or well advised, and each acting in what he or she considers his/her own best interest;

a reasonable time is allowed for exposure in the open market;

payment is made in terms of cash in U.S. dollars or in terms of financial arrangements comparable thereto; and

the price represents the normal consideration for the property sold unaffected by special or creative financing or sales concessions granted by anyone associated with the sale.

Hard to beat the market!

ya!

GWB
Gotta call BS, GW.
You have posted too many pictures to claim to be a junkman.

Your last line sums up my thoughts reading this thread.

I think people like to base their prices on the highest number seen.
If it was $1k in the O-years, they want $1k.....+.

The market has moved the other way, and people don't want to adjust.

I have RRA AR I bought before O got nominated, over the next 8 years I could
have made some good money on it. Today, it's a loser.
That's how markets move.
Originally Posted by geedubya

Make that more like 40% of MSRP at a gunstore or pawn shop.

ya!

GWB

Yessir right on the money
Market downturn on AR and like stuff is down for 2 reason . Saturation and Politics. Collectible firearms will fluctuate some on the economy and market driven crazes sometimes. There is always people that have disposable money even in a bad economy.
If an item won't sell then the price is too high or you are targeting the wrong buyers.
Originally Posted by RMiller2
If an item won't sell then the price is too high or you are targeting the wrong buyers.

Exactly! The people who bring an item back to the top 82 times without a price reduction just don't understand this or they are unwilling to accept it.

Jerry
Originally Posted by Jerryv

Exactly! The people who bring an item back to the top 82 times without a price reduction just don't understand this or they are unwilling to accept it.

Jerry

Every time I see a bump ttt I look for the price reduction.

or

it has not been exposed to the market for an adequate amount of time,

the pool of buyers is too limited.

ya!

GWB

or

it has not been exposed to the market for an adequate amount of time,

the pool of buyers is too limited.

ya!

GWB

That is the most likely scenario and lets not leave out cheap azz buyers.
It's hard to lose by making a profit, but on the other hand, nothing in life is free. Time and money. I don't know about y'all, but if I take my wife and kids out to dinner at a nice, or even nicer restaurant, I can spend anywhere from $100 to $1K, depending on where I go, and that experience only lasts a couple hours other than in my memory. If I've owned a knife, pistol gun or scope for years and have had the pleasure of using it, and sell it for a sum that is less than what I paid to acquire it, I consider that cheap entertainment.

I like getting good deals on "stuff" and I'd like to NEVER lose money on anything I sell. But I share this view point as well. I have an old beater .22lr I bought for $120 at a gun show when I was 14. Mowed yards every summer, picked up aluminum cans and had money for fishing lures, bullets, pocket knives etc. I've shot the heck out of that little .22 and wouldn't trade it for anything. I see kids every day with cell phones that cost more than a half dozen of my "big purchases" when I was kid. Those cell phones will be tossed in the drawer in a year or two (or lost and replaced 2x) with no memories of anything. FFW 40 years and if I buy a gun, tool, whatever and use it for a while, but decide to sell it I take into consideration the value it has had to me for however long I've gotten to use it.

With that said.........if anyone has a stainless Model 7 in .308 collecting dust you want to sell for cheap just PM me!!! laugh
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Or the tight AZZ sellers.

If you are in your own little world and not in line with the rest of the internet on your prices, your item will not sell.
Also remember asking price and selling price are 2 different things.
You are correct: the current market is a hard market to sell in. Over the last few years, most gun owners have laid in what they have wanted and now may be more willing to sell than buy. That makes it a buyers market. That will likely change around, but who knows when? I don't.

There is also a problem with high priced guns. First off, there is often no name recognition about who built/sold the gun. Even if there is name recognition, everyone expects to pay much less than the buyer did because it is a used item. And they are right. It also seems that the seller, often is unwilling to discount his once prized purchase enough to generate interest. But at a price point above 1500-2000, there are few really interested, depending on what it is. Usually at prices above that range, the rifle will need some great wood and impressive targets.
And "what you paid for it" or "these used to be worth $xx" has little to do with current value.
Originally Posted by shrapnel

I agree. I would also add that that potential buyer maybe hasn’t seen it yet or hasn’t yet entered the market. This is a highly active site and if your not bumping your ad back up every 12 hrs your in the back forty in 24. The fewer buyers there would be for a particular item determines the time it needs to be exposed to the potential market. It might need to be on the market on page 1-3 for a month or more. Not everything will sell the first few hours.
If you think your price is solid then keep it exposed on the first few pages until it sells..
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Or the tight AZZ sellers.

If you are in your own little world and not in line with the rest of the internet on your prices, your item will not sell.
Also remember asking price and selling price are 2 different things.

I compare the price to gunbroker prices. I have rarely seeen a mass produced rifle listed here that was not below the average price on Gunbroker.
Asking prices are not to be confused with selling price. It doesn't seems those distinctions are quite understood. Markets in my venue, both local and Internet have cooled considerably. That old adage that gun prices continually rise ...has long gone he way of newspapers and local hardware stores, it has passed by. Guns are being produced in ever-increasing bulk and attract a different buyer. Quality of the higher-end guns often surpass the old collectibles. Fewer and fewer high craftsmen gunsmiths. I am a die-hard old time collector and have had to suck-it-up on falling prices, know many old timers having a hard time refocusing their thinking. Prices are soft and are not rising.

Competition shooters do not go after the old main stays, it is the new Berettas, Perrazis, Kolars,Kregioffs, etc. which have rightfully earned their place in the quality markets. CNC machining,. better materials and metals, better quality wood, younger buyers, different markets. It has hurt my collection value.

And as other say, competitive prices and using the Blue Book, just exacerbates the problem. Especially rating everything at 95 to 98%, when new can be bought with a few dollars more. 98% is ...as new just without boxes and paperwork, usually no marks or blemishes. Just from my knothole after 70 years and having enjoyed firearms of all types.
There is a shotgun in the adds right now that I'd really like to have, and I'm sure the value is equal to the asking price. However I'm not willing to pay that much at the present time. Money is tight and while I have the cash I'd rather hold on to it.
...............But if the price drops a couple of hundred........................... grin
There is a shotgun in the adds right now that I'd really like to have, and I'm sure the value is equal to the asking price. However I'm not willing to pay that much at the present time. Money is tight and while I have the cash I'd rather hold on to it.
...............But if the price drops a couple of hundred........................... grin

Why not make an offer? Real gun traders do not go whinny and whimpy with a polite offer. Seller can always say 'no thank you', it does not have to be a personality issue. What if stock market traders got all miffed at low ball offers, no offers ...just sit until cancelled or it expires.
The higher the price, the smaller the market. You can sell a $7000 Hensoldt for $3500 and I am still not buying it. Thats what I paid for my last car.
I'm thinking the day has come to buy a firearm because YOU like it and not for investment. The younger people are buying the $300 plastic guns and could care less about quality. I do 3 or 4 gun shows during the winter months and hardly see any young people. I do see the same faces at many shows and they usually have gray hair. Done 3 shows this winter and sold 1 gun at each show late in the afternoon 1st day. No guns on Sundays. Sold lots of small items like powder at $20 bucks a pound, brass, and bullets. Today everyone is carrying their cell phone and looking prices up. If you are cheaper than the store they buy it and if not just they keep trucking. I did sell some knives this year that I carried around for years. I've sold off most of my Marlin collection in last couple of years and done fine and invested in river property. I am glad the firearms are gone because now I see rifles selling for less than several years ago. I keep asking why if the economy is so great, why aren't people buying firearms like years ago??
Less hunters and shooters to busy playing with their thumbs. Also think how very little things of good quality are made today. It's a disposable world now days. Most stuff now days is junk compared to what I grew up with. My mother bought a new clothes washer (Kenmore) in 1953 made guess where. She left it for the people who bought the house in 1991 working just fine. I like quality in everything and it's tough to find and expensive. The younger people 50+ and down juast buy cheap and throw it away the first time it skips a beat. 300.00 rifles now days have no charm but they shoot.
Q
Originally Posted by oneoneshot

Why not make an offer? Real gun traders do not go whinny and whimpy with a polite offer. Seller can always say 'no thank you', it does not have to be a personality issue. What if stock market traders got all miffed at low ball offers, no offers ...just sit until cancelled or it expires.

But for god sakes please make offers in a PM. It lacks taste to throw a number out in the public eye. He gave a price of $xxx cash right now for a Glock 43. The offer was low, but that didn’t bother me had he done it in private. So I gave him the business and told him I’d throw it in the garbage before I’d sell it for that. I also told him I wouldn’t sell it to him now at full asking price. That little pistol wasn’t about the money, it was about I didn’t need or want it anymore. I sold it three hours later to a PM and a reasonable offer. All parties were happy and was actually a great guy. Never heard a peep from the public DB
Originally Posted by boatammo
I like quality in everything and it's tough to find and expensive. The younger people 50+ and down juast buy cheap and throw it away the first time it skips a beat. 300.00 rifles now days have no charm but they shoot.

I’m under 50 and I like quality products and always have. My father taught me a strong work ethic and I have been fortunate enough to afford quite a few quality firearms and accessories. I’ve just late grown a concern that it may be impossible to sell these items when I’m completely gray and needing to sell off “stuff” so my bride won’t have to. My children will hunt and shoot with me, but aren’t crazy as I am about it. With that, I’d leave them a few rifles/pistols/shotguns behind....unless they take a big turn toward passion for quality firearms. They are pretty young so there is still hope! But I agree. I see forums full of “long range shooters” with savage axis, 10, RAR etc that are putting scopes I’ve never even heard of and calling it good.....those rifles have their place. Just not in my gun safes....it is a world full of me too, right now, and who cares about later.....
I agree, I assumed 'polite' offer was understood. But I routinely make public offers at gun shows, shoots etc., professionals do not 'swell up' and throw a temper tantrum. Offers are done with taste and diplomacy and for consideration.

Have you ever ruffled a car salesman, that ground i love!!!!!!!! Got to know their starting point. Price negotiating is an art, skillfully executed, I can take a low ball offer and politely decline, and have gone on to make a great buy or sale.

Hope you understand, but the gun market is soft now, and not all the lower priced guns are junk. I am sure you can satisfy yourself with holes in paper. Some of the medium to up to $2K can and do surpas some of the older guns ...we like.
I'm not trying to turn this into a political meeting and that's not where I want this to go because it's been a good discussion. The market is soft
right now because we have a republican in the white house and thank God for that. I seen guys back when Obammie was in there buy up tons of .22 ammo and every cheap AR they could get there hands on so they could sell them for mega bucks. It was to the point around here for 5 years or more you couldn't even find a box of .22 ammo on the shelf anywhere. People around here couldn't even take their kids out for a fun day of shooting unless you wanted to pay out the rear for a box of .22 ammo. If you are one of those people and tried to capitalize on it, well you can rot in hell as far as I'm concerned. Yes the market is soft and is where it should be. I don't want to go back to the days of not finding shells, powder and primers non existent. Just my opinion

I will add this though. I did run across a Steyr spoon bolt double trigger .222 the other day and I bought it on sight. I knew I would probably not find another one so it now resides with me. I still paid more than I wanted too but I wanted it. A buyers market is ok by me.
Originally Posted by JimFromTN
The higher the price, the smaller the market. You can sell a $7000 Hensoldt for $3500 and I am still not buying it. Thats what I paid for my last car.

You must be my brother!
I agree, I assumed 'polite' offer was understood. But I routinely make public offers at gun shows, shoots etc., professionals do not 'swell up' and throw a temper tantrum. Offers are done with taste and diplomacy and for consideration.

Have you ever ruffled a car salesman, that ground i love!!!!!!!! Got to know their starting point. Price negotiating is an art, skillfully executed, I can take a low ball offer and politely decline, and have gone on to make a great buy or sale.

Hope you understand, but the gun market is soft now, and not all the lower priced guns are junk. I am sure you can satisfy yourself with holes in paper. Some of the medium to up to $2K can and do surpas some of the older guns ...we like.

I didn’t swell up. The forum member was brand new with zero feedback and it was his first attempt. I thought it was distasteful at best and let him know. I wasn’t upset, I just thought he sucked pretty hard and likely a do nothing. If I said yes, he'd May have faltered. So many on the Georgia based forum do. Anyhow, I get what you’re saying. I’m a salesman by profession. I appreciate a well thought out offer and the negotiating process.
LH rifles are always tough to sell, Ruger has a habit of discontinuing them then suddenly they are gone and what's out there becomes scarce, so an LH should buy when they're available.

But fellow lefties want to still buy them at a discounted price.

I didn’t swell up. The forum member was brand new with zero feedback and it was his first attempt. I thought it was distasteful at best and let him know. I wasn’t upset, I just thought he sucked pretty hard and likely a do nothing. If I said yes, he'd May have faltered. So many on the Georgia based forum do. Anyhow, I get what you’re saying. I’m a salesman by profession. I appreciate a well thought out offer and the negotiating process.

Again, I was talking in total specificity (plurality) and not at you directly.
The market is soft...compare to what? To Obama years?
One issue is the nature of what you're trying to sell. The current market for higher end collectibles of any kind is soft right now. I hear complaints from guys who own high quality side by side shotguns, including the higher grades of the classic American guns (L.C. Smith, Parker, Fox, LeFever, Winchester 21) and British and European guns. Older Browning Superposeds too. The very highest grades have an extremely limited supply and there's still a market for them, but ask somebody who bought a Holland and Holland or a Purdey ten years ago how much it has gone up. Not nearly as much as it had in the preceding decade, if at all. Same thing with classic handguns - truly rare and high condition collectibles still sell, everything else lingers.

Right now, at least based on my discussions with lots of local gun dealers, the market seems to be doing well in only a limited number of areas: AR15 clones, high capacity polymer frame handguns and ultra long range rifles. Otherwise stuff comes in and sits on the shelf for a long, long time.

If you are a buyer, have an interest in collecting such things, and have the cash, it really is a great time to buy and hold or use. Just don't expect to be able to retire on the profits when the time comes to sell.
" Just don't expect to be able to retire on the profits when the time comes to sell."
This!!
The market is soft. You also have to factor in that the tides are starting to shift from people who can appreciate the value or perhaps sentiment of something like a New have M70 Classic or JM stamped Marlin to newer shooters or a younger generation where they dont really care. In the age of Glocks and AR15's the appeal and nostalgia of Winchester levers and Colt 1911's are shrinking. Couple that with the guys who do appreciate the classics are starting to sell off their collections as they get older and you get a surplus of what were once hard to get(driving the value up) to a surplus of guns that people are slowly losing interest in(driving prices down). Today manufacturing has made getting a quality firearm more affordable for a cheaper price. Case in point, all my Model 70's say New Haven on them but my kids likely won't care.
D500lnn: In direct refutation of your puzzling contention I refer to you that you review the "For Sale" ad in todays classifieds here!
A "quality item" (that you think do not sell here!) sold in less than ONE HOUR!
For $800.00 (eight hundred dollars!)!
The item was a Remington 700 VSSF Rifle in caliber 220 Swift.
Again that quality item "sold" in less than one hour "here" - I would have bought it had I seen it earlier! Even though I have one exactly like it already.
I have bought numerous items from these classified over the years.
Indeed, not every item listed hereon is "quality" nor are they all priced "correctly" - that is not the "fault" of these classifieds.
I enjoy looking for quality items on this site and BUYING them.
I am way more of a consumer than a "seller" but the several items I have listed for sale here on these classifieds over the years all sold quickly - and I have received nary a complaint while doing so.
If you think these classifieds are a waste of your time then there is a very easy solution to that!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
D500lnn: In direct refutation of your puzzling contention I refer to you that you review the "For Sale" ad in todays classifieds here!
A "quality item" (that you think do not sell here!) sold in less than ONE HOUR!
For $800.00 (eight hundred dollars!)!
The item was a Remington 700 VSSF Rifle in caliber 220 Swift.
Again that quality item "sold" in less than one hour "here" - I would have bought it had I seen it earlier! Even though I have one exactly like it already.
I have bought numerous items from these classified over the years.
Indeed, not every item listed hereon is "quality" nor are they all priced "correctly" - that is not the "fault" of these classifieds.
I enjoy looking for quality items on this site and BUYING them.
I am way more of a consumer than a "seller" but the several items I have listed for sale here on these classifieds over the years all sold quickly - and I have received nary a complaint while doing so.
If you think these classifieds are a waste of your time then there is a very easy solution to that!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

I feel like you’re being a dick and it’s not warranted. I simply started a thread. I’m very proud that you sold your “quality” m700 in under an hour. I love these classified. I’ve bought some great rifles and sold a few as well. Lately, I’ve only post3d for an older friend of mine and nothings seems to be moving. I understand the reasons. I’m simply stating that there are still quality items on here that are sitting longer than they should. Quite frankly, I’m not sure what the fascination is with big green Ti’s, Mountain guides, VSSF or many of the others. The only ones I like are the KS rifles. It’s my opinion and we’re entitled to those. I like the classified and I don’t need a azz hat like you trying to show me the door for a simple thread that was constructive conversation until you showed up. Congrats sir again for selling your 220 Swift in < 1 hour. Very very impressive.
Yesterday, I just bought a Kimber 84 Classic in 308 with 33 rounds fired, Like new condition, proven accurate by original owner (moa or less with his short test of handloads).

Paid $725 shipped and it doesn't have a mark on it. Stock has some pretty nice figure in the buttstock as well.

That was on Accurate shooter.com

It had been posted for 3 hrs and 10 minutes before I said to hell with it and Pm'd the owner/made a deal and posted my public "i'll take it"

If that doesn't prove the market is soft, I don't know what does.

I think it had around 80 views before I bought it...............

Different site, but the accurateshooter classifieds are usually pretty active.

http://forum.accurateshooter.com/threads/kimber-84-classic-308-gorgeous-wood.3979212/
Originally Posted by screaminweasil
Yesterday, I just bought a Kimber 84 Classic in 308 with 33 rounds fired, Like new condition, proven accurate by original owner (moa or less with his short test of handloads).

Paid $725 shipped and it doesn't have a mark on it. Stock has some pretty nice figure in the buttstock as well.

It had been posted for 3 hrs and 10 minutes before I said to hell with it and Pm'd the owner/made a deal and posted my public "i'll take it"

http://forum.accurateshooter.com/threads/kimber-84-classic-308-gorgeous-wood.3979212/

Very solid deal. You feel like you stole it😂 if it was any higher, you may not have said the words. Glad you got a nice rifle at a hell of a price!
Originally Posted by screaminweasil

Very solid deal. You feel like you stole it😂 if it was any higher, you may not have said the words. Glad you got a nice rifle at a hell of a price!

I just wonder what the h*ll the other 80 or so people that viewed it were waiting for!
I already have a Kimber Classic Select in 308, but I know a STUPID good deal when I see one.

Great time to have a pocket full of cash, that's for sure.
I really think there are just multiple factors in play now. I am not sure the economy is truly as good as we may be being told, some of the young adults have grown up being shown weapons in video games, and that may be what they think they want. Some of these guys and gals were toddlers when USRA went out of business and they have not even a clue or a care about "New Haven Connecticut" or any other classic firearms that aren't being made anymore.

I know for myself, I just don't have a need or a want for anything in a standard caliber right now. I sift through the ads here and a couple of other places a few times a week, and just haven't found anything that is of interest to me lately. I know when I was looking heavily with the intent to buy, price did play a factor. I was not looking to screw anybody out of any money, but if thought it was over priced based on looking at the same rifle on other forums and classified ads, I just wouldn't touch it. I know some guys that try to sell the old toys at a slightly inflated price to cover the costs of the new toys, and I understand the reasoning, but good luck, I won't pay the inflated price.

I think you have to be patient, and just ride it out, you may have lower the price 25 dollars or so to draw interest, pick up the shipping to draw interest. I am just throwing things out there, and I really hope that your items sell. Good luck to y'all, and god bless.
[/quote]

I just wonder what the h*ll the other 80 or so people that viewed it were waiting for!
I already have a Kimber Classic Select in 308, but I know a STUPID good deal when I see one.

Great time to have a pocket full of cash, that's for sure.

[/quote]

😂😂nice man!
d500lnn: Well if there was a "dick" involved in this thread it was you!
That "quality" Rifle was not mine (read more carefully please!) it was some unknown person to me.
Please look up the want ad and pay attention to the time it was posted and the time it was sold - like I suggested to you in rebuttal to your ludicrous contention!
I will repeat, that was a "quality item", which you claim "can't be sold here-on" and yet it sold "here-on" within the hour!
You have been proven wrong and if in your mind anyone who proves you wrong is a "dick" then again, I call YOU out for being "dick #1"!
If nothing good ever happens here on this classified ad section of the Campfire then I must again ask "what in the hell are you doing here"?
I have bought MANY items (guns, scopes, dies, knives, collector ammo and numerous other items off of this "classifieds"!
There are indeed quality items bought AND sold here - I know - I done'em!
And will continue to do so despite your petty attempt at besmirching this cool site!
AND... I am not the only one who must see benefits here-in - this is one of the most popular sections of the campfire - check the user views!
Or would that be to simple?
Again I must ask, nick, if this venue is such a waste of your time why don't you invoke the obvious solution?
You're a schitt stirrer (troll?) and have been proven wrong, and apparently are intent on proving for everyone to see that YOU indeed, are a "dick"!
Enjoy spending your time somewhere else.
I'll be here perusing the classifieds every chance I get.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
I’m not proven wrong. There was one items you can bring tot he table. The manner in which you presented your info was in fact much that of a total douche. That’s ok. I can handle folks proving me wrong. You only brought one item to the example table and it was a really great example. Good job. Again you put words in my mouth saying the classified were a drag and not any good. I never said that. Look I’ve got tons of responses regarding the agreement of a soft market. I’m proud for your that your (not actually yours, but one you deem sought after) beloved vssf sold in under an hour. Right buyer, right price, right time. Troll is the farther east thing from myself. You clearly had nothing better to do and decided to in fact stir the pot with your response. No one, not one person had a snide or smartalec comment until you showed up. The Montana guy with Big ideas. Thank you for stepping up to the plate and taking a great big swing to prove you know so much. I’m sure many appreciate your view as do I appreciate you taking a few moments of your life to show us what you know and somehow know my intentions. Bravo sir. I think I’ll just take my things and go home now. You’ve really destroyed my confidence and feelings.......😂😂😂
Most "quality" items are higher priced, which they should be, over lower quality items. Price alone (even if priced below what they are worth) puts them out of a lot of people's range....so they're harder to sell. Someone may recognize it as a great buy, something they'd love to have, but even if they can afford it they decide to hang on to the $2000 rather than purchase the $4000 rifle. They may take the $ and buy a $1500 rifle for $1000 instead....even though the "deal" might not have been as good it was easier for them to palate the cost. For most people $ matters and in a quality firearm put together with quality parts by a quality smith it's simply going to be more expensive. Same holds true for scopes, stocks, knives, etc.
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Most "quality" items are higher priced, which they should be, over lower quality items. Price alone (even if priced below what they are worth) puts them out of a lot of people's range....so they're harder to sell. Someone may recognize it as a great buy, something they'd love to have, but even if they can afford it they decide to hang on to the $2000 rather than purchase the $4000 rifle. They may take the $ and buy a $1500 rifle for $1000 instead....even though the "deal" might not have been as good it was easier for them to palate the cost. For most people $ matters and in a quality firearm put together with quality parts by a quality smith it's simply going to be more expensive. Same holds true for scopes, stocks, knives, etc.

Desire to purchase does not mean ability to do so. I had the wants for years before I had the money to buy.
Shrapnel is right quality firearms looking for a home will find one. The buyer just needs to know they are for sale. People who search the online sights find the hard to find items. Hasbeen
JCM and hasbeen two valid post.
Please don't take this the wrong way. This is just my opinion. You are basing this post on the difficulty you are having selling a friends rifles or at least it seems that way. I went out and looked for some of these rifles and found 3, none of which are overpriced.

1. Kimber 84 SSV Single shot rifle - You would think that the price you have on the kimber would make it sell quick. The problem is that it is a single shot 223. In my opinion, the market is a smaller for that rifle. A kimber in 308 with an internal magazine at that price would have sold quickly
2. Custom Rifle J.W. VanPatten - Custom mausers are hard to sell in your basic market. They just are. Custom rem 700 clones are all the rage. There are people that appreciate them. You just have to find them.
3. Winchester Model 70 Classic Stainless - Not to offend model 70 lovers but the model 70 does not have the market that some of the others like remington and kimber have and to sell a model 70 for that price may take longer to sell than a kimber in the same price range.

Again, no offense intended and the rifles you are selling are beautiful and are at a fair price. Its just an observation. I just think the market is smaller for those rifles which makes them harder to sell. You have to find the right market. Its kind of like trying to sell a WWII mauser in mint condtion with all the same serial numbers. You are better off going to a militaria show to sell it than selling it on this website. People will know what they are looking at and are in the market for it. I would try gunbroker.
d500lnn: I must draw your attention to a couple of more "quality" items that sold on this forum very recently!
The two "quality" items that sold (from two different sellers here-on!) sold very QUICKLY!
One sold in two minutes and the other apparently sold in 0 (zero!) minutes!
The quality items that you do not think have a chance of selling here-on were both Leupold scopes one a 4x12 with A/O and the other a Leupold variable unknown if it had an A/O.
Further proof that your original contention was/is completely specious (without merit!)!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
P.S.: I again notice that YOU are still frequenting the want-ads here - have you learned the error of your ways, DICK?
Originally Posted by JimFromTN
Please don't take this the wrong way. This is just my opinion. You are basing this post on the difficulty you are having selling a friends rifles or at least it seems that way. I went out and looked for some of these rifles and found 3, none of which are overpriced.

1. Kimber 84 SSV Single shot rifle - You would think that the price you have on the kimber would make it sell quick. The problem is that it is a single shot 223. In my opinion, the market is a smaller for that rifle. A kimber in 308 with an internal magazine at that price would have sold quickly
2. Custom Rifle J.W. VanPatten - Custom mausers are hard to sell in your basic market. They just are. Custom rem 700 clones are all the rage. There are people that appreciate them. You just have to find them.
3. Winchester Model 70 Classic Stainless - Not to offend model 70 lovers but the model 70 does not have the market that some of the others like remington and kimber have and to sell a model 70 for that price may take longer to sell than a kimber in the same price range.

Again, no offense intended and the rifles you are selling are beautiful and are at a fair price. Its just an observation. I just think the market is smaller for those rifles which makes them harder to sell. You have to find the right market. Its kind of like trying to sell a WWII mauser in mint condtion with all the same serial numbers. You are better off going to a militaria show to sell it than selling it on this website. People will know what they are looking at and are in the market for it. I would try gunbroker.

No offense taken whatsoever ever. I agree and your words are thoughtful and taken in context. I’ve never sold a rifle on gunbroker. Probably never bought one either. I recently sold a bundle of odds and ends at a quick pace. That was great. I’m not speaking necessarily about these items I’ve listed. I just notice some other firearms and such not selling and they are priced correctly. It has everything to do with the right audience seeing the rifle and having the means to purchase the rifle(or scope, binocular, etc.) if my friend is willing to wait it out( he doesn’t need the money) and collect a fair price, then so be it. I’m just the picture taker and lister. He’s chimed in many times. Again, if anyone would really like one of these rifles contact “ via PM and I’m sure he’d be glad to chat. He’s been around a long time and knows a thing or two about hunting rifles in general. He’s got some great rifles that will take a certain customer to like, want and appreciate some of these rifles. Anyhow, thank you again for your response. Have a good one....
d500lnn: I must draw your attention to a couple of more "quality" items that sold on this forum very recently!
The two "quality" items that sold (from two different sellers here-on!) sold very QUICKLY!
The quality items that you do not think have a chance of selling here-on were both Leupold scopes one a 4x12 with A/O and the other a Leupold variable unknown if it had an A/O.
Further proof that your original contention was/is completely specious (without merit!)!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
P.S.: I again notice that YOU are still frequenting the want-ads here - have you learned the error of your ways, DICK?

We may all consider "quality" differently. My opinion only, but when I think of quality I think of higher tier items. In scopes that would be upper grades of S&B, Nightforce NXS, etc.... Leupold scopes are more common, readily available, and at a lower price point. A $500 Leupold may sell quickly for $350.......a $2500 S&B may not sell at all for $1500.
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

We may all consider "quality" differently. My opinion only, but when I think of quality I think of higher tier items. In scopes that would be upper grades of S&B, Nightforce NXS, etc.... Leupold scopes are more common, readily available, and at a lower price point. A $500 Leupold may sell quickly for $350.......a $2500 S&B may not sell at all for $1500.

JCM. I agree. I know certain mid orange scopes ar more desirable than others from what I can tell. Before classified on Internet, there was the shotgun news or nothing. I love classified for that very reason. Easy and much better than anything before to sell used items other than firearms...like scopes, binoculars, knives, gun parts etc....
d500ln (DICK): You must be asleep there dick!
Another quality item sold hereon for a good price and did so in less than ONE HOUR!
Refer to the want-ad for Leupold 36 power scope.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
d500ln (DICK): You must be asleep there dick!
Another quality item sold hereon for a good price and did so in less than ONE HOUR!
Refer to the want-ad for Leupold 36 power scope.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Thanks for checking in there big stick’s little brother.
Originally Posted by warpig602
The market is soft. You also have to factor in that the tides are starting to shift from people who can appreciate the value or perhaps sentiment of something like a New have M70 Classic or JM stamped Marlin to newer shooters or a younger generation where they dont really care. In the age of Glocks and AR15's the appeal and nostalgia of Winchester levers and Colt 1911's are shrinking. Couple that with the guys who do appreciate the classics are starting to sell off their collections as they get older and you get a surplus of what were once hard to get(driving the value up) to a surplus of guns that people are slowly losing interest in(driving prices down). Today manufacturing has made getting a quality firearm more affordable for a cheaper price. Case in point, all my Model 70's say New Haven on them but my kids likely won't care.

Agree Warpig. I’m 34 and most of my friends don’t really care about the older and better quality guns, nor do they have the money to buy them. They are expensive and not a priority. That being said, if you ever have a New Haven classic stainless you want to sell, please let me know!
Please refer to ULA. model 24 in 30-06.
⬆️ Quality; priced right.
My point, exactly!
donsm70
d5500lndick: Please refer to the recent "quality item" (Buck 119) that sold hereon in 21 minutes!
Me thinks your contention is exceptionally erroneous (ridiculous/ludicrous!)!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
d5500lndick: Please refer to the recent "quality item" (Buck 119) that sold hereon in 21 minutes!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Are you trying to suck this guys dick or? You’re definitely putting the time in...

When in the holy [bleep] has a $40 Buck knife became a quality item?
I guess to some people, Harbor Freight sells quality tools.
Price is what you pay, value is what you get...
Originally Posted by Boonechaser
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Are you trying to suck this guys dick or? You’re definitely putting the time in...

When in the holy [bleep] has a $40 Buck knife became a quality item?

Hahaha. He actually is. He’s really good at it......I’m flattered someone thinks about my little post so much to continue to seek out “deals” use his spare time to “show me” about “quality” Buck knives....😂
Over the years I’ve sold a lot of smaller items on the ‘Fire but with a couple of exceptions, rarely any higher end item for its real value. For example, one quality firearm I put on here, well-described, and at a “very good” price initially (and even with a couple of reductions), received the usual tire-kicking responses only. That’s with sending out multiple pic’s a couple of times.

Out of curiosity, I took it to a LGS where the guy who knew his stuff, rather giddily offered me $500 more than my asking price in the Classifieds, or $600 if I traded it on something else of theirs. And he had to re-sell at some kind of profit!

Ive tried but that’s been emblematic of my experience in the Classifieds..
most people are on here because they cant afford a postage stamp to mail a letter.. for instance the few that says, if it weren't for ( insert your words) ----------- I would be all over that . HAHAHA
over priced stuff does not sell...……………...supply and demand drives down prices and GREED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
There is nothing, zilch, nada, zero, left to be covered in this thread that has not already been stated in all aspects and in several different ways. The horse is dead and thoroughly beaten.
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco
There is nothing, zilch, nada, zero, left to be covered in this thread that has not already been stated in all aspects and in several different ways. The horse is dead and thoroughly beaten.

so are you the thread police?
Originally Posted by Hubert
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco

so are you the thread police?

Carry on fcktard.
Best rifles ever made are being made today, better steel, CNC, mainly the custom market.

Classic market where guns are going for 300%-2000% or more of their original price has and always be fickle.

If you are a collector, now is the time to be buying.

Fear drives the gun market.

Looks like there is a war with Iran looming, best you get your 30/30 sighted in!
d550lndick: I direct you to the quality item (Smith & Wesson Model 629-3 With Unfluted Cylinder - $1,000.00!) that just sold here-on!
This quality firearm sold rather quickly and I was tempted on it myself.
I also have to inquire of "gringo loco" if he fancies himself to be the "thread police"?
Lots of arrogant phhuccks around here anymore that indeed do need some comeupance from time to time!
Personally I am puzzled why those that berate this site spend time here?
I guess I just don't understand that - maybe some folks just like to complain and to be contrary?
I know I don't enjoy their baseless bitchin.
I appreciate VERY MUCH this site and the classified section of this site - of which I have partaken for over 16 years now.
Some advice to those mentioned here'in - quitcherbitchin" or go somewheres else to do so.
Your blather has rightfully fallen on ears deaf to your belly'achin!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
It is a buyers market.
We have a pro 2nd amendment president....

If ya want the top dollar max amount ya can squeeze.
And call buyers cheap cause they ain't raining Benjamin's on ya like a stripper gets with a nice ass, breeders gap and big tata,s.

Then just dont sell right now........

Heres is your solution
Vote Liberal Socialist Democrat in 2020
And your financial dreams will come true.

But until a libtard gets back in office.
Ya just gotta eat it like all the ammo scalpers are right now.

I cant sell my whatever for top dollar right now and I graced it with my ownership so it's worth more than anyone else's......

Here is a suggestion for all sellers wishing a Liberal Socialist Democrat gets elected and the panic buying market would return for their monetary benefit.
Even though it would destroy the county ....

Buy right now now all the cheap Anderson lowers you can.
All the cheap bear creek AR 15,s you can
All the cheap RAS 47 and IO AK ,s you can
All the cheap .380 ammo in bulk you can.
Hoarde that schit like 10,s of thousands of other snakes are doing.
And pray for the day when ya can sell it to fools at double or triple price.

d550lndick:
(I appreciate VERY MUCH this site and the classified section of this site)
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Well Yota, thanks for chiming in....yet again....
Originally Posted by renegade50
It is a buyers market.

And call buyers cheap cause they ain't raining Benjamin's on ya like a stripper gets with a nice ass, breeders gap and big tata,s.

Heres is your solution

I cant sell my whatever for top dollar right now and I graced it with my ownership so it's worth more than anyone else's......

Here is a suggestion for all sellers wishing a Liberal Socialist Democrat gets elected and the panic buying market would return for their monetary benefit.

👏🏻 👏🏻 👏🏻
Originally Posted by renegade50
It is a buyers market.

Heres is your solution

Hear Hear!

Urban Dictionary

Definition//

mic drop:
When you drop the microphone as a demonstration of facts and the truth to a person who is loud and proud in their ignorance of both.
Biggest reason(s)? Piss poor photos or the infamous "text for pics". Sure, and the text pics will be taken in the dark with a 1MP phone camera, fuzzy and intentionally void of any defects.
Quality items are easy to sell if you are motivated to sell.

It always cracks me up when sellers blame buyers when they can't sell something because they have overestimate the quality and value of the items they want to sell.
Get the price in the good deal range and it will sell.
Because the economy is doing so much for the whole population.
As noted above, poor presentation.
Nearly everyone wants to buy at a price they can make money on and puts little value on true quality.
Times are a changing.
Quality is truly in the eye of the beholder.
Not in front of the right market.
Higher quality than a Ruger 77 All weather and a Polartec Jacket?

I broke a stock on a Sauer rifle and my Gaston Glock jacket froze my ass off...Its subjective.

I’ve noticed here for the last year plus some high quaility scopes and firearms that have had to be placed at “give-away” prices and still not sell. In addition, if folks are out of the “current market” price are they getting offers on their ads? I’ve got a couple pretty nice rifles I’m considering selling, but the current market seems like a tough one to sell in.

What are your opinions on this topic?
d500lnndick: Man, did you see how quickly those two "quality" Leupold scopes sold for today (May 28th)!
One Campfirer put two "quality" Leupold scopes up for sale and two different people bought them both in less than two hours - on a weekday, mid-day!
I only wish I had seen them sooner.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
d500lnndick: Man, did you see how quickly those two "quality" Leupold scopes sold for today (May 28th)!
One Campfirer put two "quality" Leupold scopes up for sale and two different people bought them both in less than two hours - on a weekday, mid-day!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

I see your tender feelers were hurt and my simple little thread is still deep inside your empty skull for free. You got a great deal on obsessing on my simple post. I’m very happy for the owners of those scopes. I saw two quality Leupold s that a true gentleman Skane listed and may have already sold. He’s a quality guy no doubt. I hate you didn’t see them sooner too ole pal. Have a great day. Be sure to tell me about the next items that sell quickly....
Is this dumbfuck actually calling the 2 Leupold scopes that sold for less than $200 total, quality items? Wow...
Originally Posted by Boonechaser
Is this dumbfuck actually calling the 2 Leupold scopes that sold for less than $200 total, quality items? Wow...

😂😂😂 I guess so...
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Youre like R. Dangerfield . “I get no respect”
Originally Posted by andymick32
Originally Posted by warpig602

Agree Warpig. I’m 34 and most of my friends don’t really care about the older and better quality guns, nor do they have the money to buy them. They are expensive and not a priority. That being said, if you ever have a New Haven classic stainless you want to sell, please let me know!

Now Now!!
I also think that, in a market where you can buy a Fieldcraft that has 99% of the custom features that you used to spend $3,500 - $4,500 to get on a custom rifle, the value proposition has changed.

I've owned three GAP rifles, two or three from RBrothers, a 470 NE, and a few other top shelf items.

Fact is, for the type of big game hunting I do and the ranges I'm wiling to pull the trigger at, a T3 in 308 and a Fieldcraft in 6.5 Creedmoor cover all of the bases nicely.

Smaller game has ARs in 223, and 22lr 10/22s and 17 HMR bolt action rifles to cover that.

If you're paying for beauty, that's one thing, and one costly thing.

If you're just paying for function, accurate and inexpensive rifles are everywhere.
Originally Posted by David_Walter
I also think that, in a market where you can buy a Fieldcraft that has 99% of the custom features that you used to spend $3,500 - $4,500 to get on a custom rifle, the value proposition has changed.

I've owned three GAP rifles, two or three from RBrothers, a 470 NE, and a few other top shelf items.

Fact is, for the type of big game hunting I do and the ranges I'm wiling to pull the trigger at, a T3 in 308 and a Fieldcraft in 6.5 Creedmoor cover all of the bases nicely.

Smaller game has ARs in 223, and 22lr 10/22s and 17 HMR bolt action rifles to cover that.

If you're just paying for function, accurate and inexpensive rifles are everywhere.

The Fieldcraft is tough to beat. It's not "cheap" but I agree that quality rifles like it have made previously "custom only" lightweight rifles tougher to justify for the cost.

Another rifle that's done the same is the Seekins Havak. Again, it's not some bottom $ cheap stuff, but it's really hard to beat what you get in one of them when you compare it to what a custom with the same specs would run.

The Ruger Precision Rifle is dirt cheap for the accuracy you get.

It's the golden age for off-the-shelf quality rifles that could previously only be obtained through a custom. I do think it's hurt the custom market and prices on custom rifles.
Originally Posted by David_Walter

David, this is one of the most sensible answers yet. You know I believe that 100%. I own a Fieldcraft that shoots as well as customs I’ve owned in the past. Also, I find myself creeping ever so close to selling quite a few rifles and keeping a smaller battery of rifles. Like maybe 10 or less. I have so many that I never shoot. My favs are a FC in 6.5cm, Model 7 KS in 7-08, AO built 7-08, and probably a 300wsm 75 Finnlight. I’ve got a couple others I know I could love, just don’t have enough killing history with them...
Price those “quality” items reasonably and they will sell.
© 24hourcampfire