Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by annieW7
I think the demographic is changing. You can go buy a plastic rifle(no offense intended) that is accurate so why pay up for a classic that shoots just a bit better. I don't post much on this sight but have been watching it for 15 years. I couldn't afford some of the classics when I was younger and now I don't see the reason for some of them when I can get the accuracy for a lot less. I like vortex scopes now because you walk into scheels and just exchange for a new one vs sending one back to luepold/Nikon. (Convenience) A lot of the former customers are gone(deceased). The exceptional classics might hold but a decent shooter in good shape has a smaller customer base

Back to the original post, the question is about quality items, not vanilla, everyday stuff...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
GB1

N
ned Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
FWIW - My experience here tells me two things:

items that are priced to sell get bought here quickly.

people generally think their rifles are worth more than they really are.

Ride well, shoot straight, and speak the truth.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Recently listed a set of Meopta MeoPro 10x42HD binos; they were brand new in box replacements for a damaged pair. Priced them 10% below best online price and they sold in 2 hours and buyer and seller were satisfied. Optics do pretty well because the quality manufacturers will honor warranty on just about anything; not much risk to the buyer.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ned
FWIW - My experience here tells me two things:

items that are priced to sell get bought here quickly.

Spot on

guns to me are like legal crack
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by 303savage

That's the case with most everything, not just rifles. But I know my stuff is worth a lot, and yours? not so much... smile

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Cruiser1
Recently listed a set of Meopta MeoPro 10x42HD binos; they were brand new in box replacements for a damaged pair. Priced them 10% below best online price and they sold in 2 hours and buyer and seller were satisfied. Optics do pretty well because the quality manufacturers will honor warranty on just about anything; not much risk to the buyer.

Yes...and thanks for the sweet deal!

D
d500lnn Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
I think this is a good discussion. What does one think about selling hunting rifles at certain times of the year? I buy something I want any time I see it. Do you think there is any credence in selling a rifle closer to hunting season?

I personally have had great luck selling my items on these sites like this. I sold a whole bunch of stuff recently. Small dollar odds and ends. I do currently have a couple scopes at I think very fair prices, but no takers. When I saw a similar scope in gloss in lesser condition sell for what I’m asking. I guess it’s a timing thing....as in everything in life.

Regards,
Nick- Georgia
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by dogwater
Before I try to sell anything I check buds and grab a gun or some of the good retailers on line. I try to price well under them. Why would someone buy my used gun for close to or the same as they can get a new one.? I see a lot of guys pricing a used gun at or above what a new one is selling for, then complain about cheap people who won't buy it. You have to figure everyone one the fire can probably use Google. It's just an educated marketplace.

Trade in a gun at a gun store and you can expect to get 70-75% of the retail price of a new one, unless you have a very unusual, rare or special run of something.

Here, sellers expect to get 110% of the new price, I guess because 'they' owned it makes it special.

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I bought some good rifles on here at good prices, every now and then you will see items priced to sell quickly. They do go fast. I’ve sold a lot of miscellaneous items that I could never have sold anywhere else. I’m thankful for the classifieds. I enjoy looking also.

Last edited by hanco; 05/12/19.
D
d500lnn Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by hanco
I bought some good rifles on here at good prices, every now and then you will see items priced to sell quickly. They do go fast. I’ve sold a lot of miscellaneous items that I could never have sold anywhere else. I’m thankful for the classifieds. I enjoy looking also.

100%
Originally Posted by Borchardt
Before I try to sell anything I check buds and grab a gun or some of the good retailers on line. I try to price well under them. Why would someone buy my used gun for close to or the same as they can get a new one.? I see a lot of guys pricing a used gun at or above what a new one is selling for, then complain about cheap people who won't buy it. You have to figure everyone one the fire can probably use Google. It's just an educated marketplace.

Trade in a gun at a gun store and you can expect to get 70-75% of the retail price of a new one, unless you have a very unusual, rare or special run of something.

Here, sellers expect to get 110% of the new price, I guess because 'they' owned it makes it special.

I think this is exaggerated just a wee bit. Maybe if folks are selling savage or the ilk.......I don’t even stop at those

Regards,
Nick- Georgia
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by d500lnn
I think this is a good discussion. What does one think about selling hunting rifles at certain times of the year? I buy something I want any time I see it. Do you think there is any credence in selling a rifle closer to hunting season?

I personally have had great luck selling my items on these sites like this. I sold a whole bunch of stuff recently. Small dollar odds and ends. I do currently have a couple scopes at I think very fair prices, but no takers. When I saw a similar scope in gloss in lesser condition sell for what I’m asking. I guess it’s a timing thing....as in everything in life.

Right before the election is a great time to sell

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G

Make that more like 40% of MSRP at a gunstore or pawn shop.

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Buy high sell low. Always worked for me

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I find decent deals on quality gear here pretty often.

Rokslide on the other hand rarely has stuff priced any better than 5% or maybe 10% at most below the new price. Those guys are a bunch of tight asses.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
A lot of good points made here. I think this is one of the better Classified Forum's to buy and sell because of the audience. As previously stated though a posting may get buried fast not to be seen.

One of the major factors is the aging of gun collectors and hunters. Go to a gun show and most collectors are gray-haired (including me.) The taste of rifles, optics, gear has changed and we have more guns, ammo, gear being produced right now. As the aging collectors or their widows try to get rid of their collection they are just dumping more on the market and causes lower prices. I had a friend who helped a widow of his friend sell off his guns and ammo. It took about three years to get rid of everything and at some pretty heavy discounts.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It’s a buyer’s market right now for sure. The classifieds here have always been a goldmine for me personally when I have money to spend. I can normally find what I want at prices I’m happy with. I like dealing with people here much better than gunbroker or gunshows. Love they guys at my local gun store but I can generally find guns significantly cheaper online and just have them transferred at the lgs, I pay a transfer fee of $25 each time and will generally buy other stuff from them to help keep their doors open.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I like and use the classifieds her a lot. High end stuff limits the market, the higher end the product is the less people are going to be in that market. That is the way it is for everything. Why do You think ford and chevy sell more cars than Mercedes.

MOLON LABE
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
I'll be 68 this year.

I am a "junk man" at heart.

I've been buying, selling and accumulating stuff for 40 years +.

My kids are doing great and only one of them hunts and he's making more money than he can throw away and in his mid 30's has more guns than I do.

So in the future, I'm gonna get rid of some "stuff".

I can't think of anyone I'd rather have some of my "stuff" than some of the fine folks that post here.

It's hard to lose by making a profit, but on the other hand, nothing in life is free. Time and money. I don't know about y'all, but if I take my wife and kids out to dinner at a nice, or even nicer restaurant, I can spend anywhere from $100 to $1K, depending on where I go, and that experience only lasts a couple hours other than in my memory. If I've owned a knife, pistol gun or scope for years and have had the pleasure of using it, and sell it for a sum that is less than what I paid to acquire it, I consider that cheap entertainment.

Years ago I made my living for a time as a commercial real estate appraiser.

IIRC the definition of market value went something like this.........

Market value is the most probable price that a property (item or commodity) should bring in a competitive and open market under all conditions requisite to a fair sale, the buyer and seller, each acting prudently, knowledgeably and assuming the price is not affected by undue stimulus. Implicit in this definition is the consummation of a sale as of a specified date and the passing of title from seller to buyer under conditions whereby:

buyer and seller are typically motivated;

both parties are well informed or well advised, and each acting in what he or she considers his/her own best interest;

a reasonable time is allowed for exposure in the open market;

payment is made in terms of cash in U.S. dollars or in terms of financial arrangements comparable thereto; and

the price represents the normal consideration for the property sold unaffected by special or creative financing or sales concessions granted by anyone associated with the sale.

Hard to beat the market!

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gotta call BS, GW.
You have posted too many pictures to claim to be a junkman.

Your last line sums up my thoughts reading this thread.

I think people like to base their prices on the highest number seen.
If it was $1k in the O-years, they want $1k.....+.

The market has moved the other way, and people don't want to adjust.

I have RRA AR I bought before O got nominated, over the next 8 years I could
have made some good money on it. Today, it's a loser.
That's how markets move.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by geedubya

Make that more like 40% of MSRP at a gunstore or pawn shop.

ya!

GWB

Yessir right on the money

Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 12344mag, 1badf350, 64 invisible), 2,421 guests, and 1,322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,513
Posts18,509,413
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.