Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Very soft market.
Pricing reality has not caught up with the soft market.
Was at a gun show in the past year and saw 22lr ammo at prices at least 25% higher than you can buy them retail or off the numerous ammo sites.

Last edited by dale06; 05/11/19.

NRA Patron
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Quality needs a market.

Do i need a set of Norseman drills for $100 or go to Home Depot and get a set for $30?

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Before I try to sell anything I check buds and grab a gun or some of the good retailers on line. I try to price well under them. Why would someone buy my used gun for close to or the same as they can get a new one.? I see a lot of guys pricing a used gun at or above what a new one is selling for, then complain about cheap people who won't buy it. You have to figure everyone one the fire can probably use Google. It's just an educated marketplace.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What some of the custom knives are going for is ridiculous . The time, effort and craftsmanship that go into those pieces are worth more than they are going for. Best deals on the fire as far as I’m concerned.

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If the advertisement is reasonably well written with some decent photos (which many fail at), then, by definition, if it doesn't sell it is priced too high.

In other words, no matter how much a person wishes their gun is worth, the market doesn't lie.

IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
It's Trumps fault .

if you think prices are high here go to a gun show.

I have a few things for sale , but always end up buying more .

My interests usually fall in the C&R category....no transfer in a gun shop.

If your item sells quickly...........you priced it too low.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shinbone
If the advertisement is reasonably well written with some decent photos (which many fail at), then, by definition, if it doesn't sell it is priced too high. No matter how much a person wishes their gun is worth, the market doesn't lie.

Not true. The market isn’t only where it is advertised. The potential buyer may not even be seeing the ad. There are thousands of buyers that would pay what something is worth, but don’t know where to look but the normal venues, such as retail stores.

A narrow field, such as the classifieds on the Campfire is not a real measuring stick to what value is. Just because it doesn’t sell, doesn’t mean it is priced too high, it can mean that the serious buyer doesn’t know it is for sale...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’m always looking for something that I’d like, but I don’t need anything. That means that I’m not in a rush and I’m not going to pay top dollar, I suspect many folks here are in similar circumstances. If you want top dollar you need people competing for it.

NRA Endowment Life Member
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
It’s worth what someone will pay for it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm sorry the dealers here are unhappy that we don't line up to pay their prices, but I'm looking to get the most for my dollars.
When what I want, need, and can afford comes up, mostly I'll post a "I'll take it".

IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by d500lnn
Originally Posted by Diablero
Originally Posted by ccrifles
Most items are over priced when you consider they are just that, used. Most guys price their stuff like it belonged to Elvis. I hate to point out a single ad, but right now there is a used Tikka T1 .22 rifle for $460 here. Bass Pro has them on sale new now for $469. Why would a guy pay $9 less, sight unseen, for a used one that he will probably have to pay additional to transfer through an FFL. Not trying to pick on the seller, but it's a great example. You drive it off the lot and it depreciates. Guys here like to experiment with guns, and then expect to get all their money out them. Just about anything you see used on here you can find in a search new for a bargain these days. Guns are not a great investment, and scopes are worse.

Exactly. I seen a couple of 20 year old Leupold 3-9's on here yesterday and they was wanting right at $300 for them. I can buy a brand new Leupold VX3i for just a few dollars difference.

Certain older scopes are worth a considerable amount of money. Certain rifles I know will drag a premium and I get that. I have a few rifles on here now that are listed for an elderly friend. He’s priced them pretty darn close to where they should be. One I told him will never sell or be very hard. The two others are great rifles and are within $100 dollars of selling immediately. I’m confused as to why no one will even make an offer? I feel people want something for well under value so they may be able to sell and not lose either......who knows🤷🏻‍♂️

no one makes an offer because if they do they get ragged on for low balling the seller(not me) but other buyers was.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Tracks
I'm sorry the dealers here are unhappy that we don't line up to pay their prices, but I'm looking to get the most for my dollars.
When what I want, need, and can afford comes up, mostly I'll post a "I'll take it".

THIS

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The used market is extremely soft, as is the new market. Most items are over priced when you consider they are just that, used. Most guys price their stuff like it belonged to Elvis. I hate to point out a single ad, but right now there is a used Tikka T1 .22 rifle for $460 here. Bass Pro has them on sale new now for $469. Why would a guy pay $9 less, sight unseen, for a used one that he will probably have to pay additional to transfer through an FFL. Not trying to pick on the seller, but it's a great example. You drive it off the lot and it depreciates. Guys here like to experiment with guns, and then expect to get all their money out them. Just about anything you see used on here you can find in a search new for a bargain these days. Guns are not a great investment, and scopes are worse.

The original theme of this thread is "Quality." Old used stuff, priced for unexpected lottery gains is another thing. Quality is usually higher end, expensive stuff and the market for those things is very limited. If you look at the Campfire Classifieds, most of the stuff is "bread and butter' common guns and accessories, just trying to be moved. The quality stuff is always more expensive and doesn't sell due to the number of people that won't buy it, not because of the value...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Maybe its just the same guys selling to the same guys over and over , just taking turns keeping the stuff in their closets and safes. I don't sell here anymore for the most part. If I price my items to sell I get ridiculed , if I price it what its worth I get ridiculed. The fire isn't what it use to be but what is? Its also free so there's that.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The used market is extremely soft, as is the new market. Most items are over priced when you consider they are just that, used. Most guys price their stuff like it belonged to Elvis. I hate to point out a single ad, but right now there is a used Tikka T1 .22 rifle for $460 here. Bass Pro has them on sale new now for $469. Why would a guy pay $9 less, sight unseen, for a used one that he will probably have to pay additional to transfer through an FFL. Not trying to pick on the seller, but it's a great example. You drive it off the lot and it depreciates. Guys here like to experiment with guns, and then expect to get all their money out them. Just about anything you see used on here you can find in a search new for a bargain these days. Guns are not a great investment, and scopes are worse.

What you probably don’t realize is the person selling that rifle is an actual dealer and is offering a brand new in box firearm no one else has had transferred to them. With that you are saving say a minimum of 7% sales tax plus the money difference between the gun at bass pro and his rifle..seems spot on?!

MK

MK
I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
Where are the quality items with a blood sale price that you are talking about?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I consider "custom" items as quality. However, a person never recovers the cost of custom items and can expect to only get a fraction of the dollars they spent. Firearms or any other custom items for that matter.

D
d500lnn Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by shinbone
If the advertisement is reasonably well written with some decent photos (which many fail at), then, by definition, if it doesn't sell it is priced too high. No matter how much a person wishes their gun is worth, the market doesn't lie.

Not true. The market isn’t only where it is advertised. The potential buyer may not even be seeing the ad. There are thousands of buyers that would pay what something is worth, but don’t know where to look but the normal venues, such as retail stores.

A narrow field, such as the classifieds on the Campfire is not a real measuring stick to what value is. Just because it doesn’t sell, doesn’t mean it is priced too high, it can mean that the serious buyer doesn’t know it is for sale...

I agree. 100%

Originally Posted by iviax
Where are the quality items with a blood sale price that you are talking about?

Sako Bavarian’s you have to give away. I’ve seen some nice older Sako’s for sale priced right and no sale. I’ve seen more modern custom builds go for < $2000 that are worth more than that(yes I understand you never get your custom money back). KS mountain rifles which are arguably the best rifle big green ever produced. Sako 75 are a little harder to sell. The Ti were hot for a while but cooled off. The only ones I see that sell by big green are CDL SF or mountain guides etc.......certain KS rifles I see go for much more like the Model Seven KS in 350 Rem Mag.

As far as scopes, I feel very fortunate on these classifieds. Before free classifieds, scopes were almost give away items. A quality optic (older Leupold, Zeiss, Leica, Swarovski, S&B, even older Bushnell) are worth the money.

Anyhow, I was just curious on this topic.

Regards,
Nick- Georgia
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I think the demographic is changing. You can go buy a plastic rifle(no offense intended) that is accurate so why pay up for a classic that shoots just a bit better. I don't post much on this sight but have been watching it for 15 years. I couldn't afford some of the classics when I was younger and now I don't see the reason for some of them when I can get the accuracy for a lot less. I like vortex scopes now because you walk into scheels and just exchange for a new one vs sending one back to luepold/Nikon. (Convenience) A lot of the former customers are gone(deceased). The exceptional classics might hold but a decent shooter in good shape has a smaller customer base

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I have had to sell many items for less than I wanted to sell for.Reality sets in and if you have an item you no longer need,it is better to take a small loss on it than have your old lady give it away when you croak.On the other side as a buyer ,you can usually negotiate a better price for something you crave.I go to a lot of gun shows because once in a while you are that blind squirrel that finds a nut.When I price something I try to leave some wiggle room for negotiating.How ever I don`t like low ballers and don`t give low ball offers that are insulting.I think a good deal is one that both the buyer and seller feel good about.JMHO,Huntz

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (BALLISTIK, 6mmbrfan, 907brass, Akhutr, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 8 invisible), 1,483 guests, and 949 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,748
Posts18,495,222
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.