Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Wife’s Sig 938, Gold Dot ....147’s. Considering going to Buffalo Bore! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 05/09/19.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Straight FMJ...for decades.

Fighting Pistoles don't generate enough velocity,to deviate the constant. Placement dictates the outcome,not the receipt from Gucci.

Hint................

That's what I carry, 124 FMJ

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
9mm 124 gold dot or fed HST
45 cal 230 same
40 cal 165 HST
38 cal 135 gold dot

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
124 GDHP +P

"The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubt" Bertrand Russell

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
for years i had winchester ranger +p+ 127 grain SXT RA9TA, at the time recommended to me by a FBI guy.
I tried to find some more of it recently, couldn't, until you had a law enforcement connection. Then i saw some ammo testing where the stuff was NOT opening up. SO... I bought hornady's critical duty +p 135 grain flexlock,
what is interesting to me, the army's new rounds the m1181 and m1182 , or it might be m1182 and m1183 are interesting to me.
per an article, the 1181 is a 115 gr thc flat nose bullet that velocity and appearance wise looks a lot like winchester white box.
I ran into issues with gold dots not opening years ago, and somewhat always distrusted 9mm. EXcept, they will penetrate. and i got to thinking, that maybe penetration is more important and a 9mm is perfectly capable of shooting through someone.
I bought a case of that winchester 115 grain thc stuff at about 9bucks a box, marked service grade whatever that means. Looks just like the military stuff.
the 147grain jhp m1182 or m1183 without looking, looks like the politically correct ranger 147 grain which is the old black talon, without the bad color.
i watched a youtube video or so the other day on the m17-p320. guy fired 1000rounds in about 13 minutes. And i watched another guy dump a 21round mag rapid fire. like watching a machine gun go off.
i think one sometimes can overcomplicate an issue.

Ron, have you ever carried those around in a mag in your pocket for a while? Guess what color they are under that pretty copper color, as well as the SXTs? Name ends in Talon. Lol. smile

i have some old black talon for 45acp in my display case.
i became enambered years ago when speer had the 200grain flying trash can or ash tray, what ever it was. I found a few years ago ten boxes of them bullets, and bought them all. i loaded them with a healthy dose of power pistol. impressed the snot out of me shooting water jugs. then i read they really weren't all that good. Still don't believe that.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by jwp475
for years i had winchester ranger +p+ 127 grain SXT RA9TA, at the time recommended to me by a FBI guy.
I tried to find some more of it recently, couldn't, until you had a law enforcement connection. Then i saw some ammo testing where the stuff was NOT opening up. SO... I bought hornady's critical duty +p 135 grain flexlock,
what is interesting to me, the army's new rounds the m1181 and m1182 , or it might be m1182 and m1183 are interesting to me.
per an article, the 1181 is a 115 gr thc flat nose bullet that velocity and appearance wise looks a lot like winchester white box.
I ran into issues with gold dots not opening years ago, and somewhat always distrusted 9mm. EXcept, they will penetrate. and i got to thinking, that maybe penetration is more important and a 9mm is perfectly capable of shooting through someone.
I bought a case of that winchester 115 grain thc stuff at about 9bucks a box, marked service grade whatever that means. Looks just like the military stuff.
the 147grain jhp m1182 or m1183 without looking, looks like the politically correct ranger 147 grain which is the old black talon, without the bad color.
i watched a youtube video or so the other day on the m17-p320. guy fired 1000rounds in about 13 minutes. And i watched another guy dump a 21round mag rapid fire. like watching a machine gun go off.

The military flat point Fiji is loaded to 39,700 psi per the article I read

i read the same article, americanrifleman, page 65, may issue. it was showing that pressure, but is was also showing velocity at 1326fps. there are any number of commercial fmj loads available inexpensive at around 1200fps plus/minus. this stuff is around 1190, similar bullet and not expensive: https://www.ammunitiontogo.com/prod...-winchester-service-grade-115gr-fmj-ammo
they are bumping velocity 100fps, but i don't see that as all that much.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
i bought some of that hornady critical duty, based upon the testing results at ammunitiontogo.com. I liked the idea of that polymer tip sealing the hollow point for entry purposes.
I have swung over to the 9mm camp based upon firepower capacity, but my heart still belongs i think to the .45acp. my personal carry most of the time is an original baby glock in 357sig, which i have aftermarket barrels for that and .40s&w, and 9mm. mostly, being an old fahrt, i have a 165grain silvertip loaded in .40 to 1200fps. I just bought a sig m17-p320 for a lot or reasons. but i have a glock 20 and 21, plus a springfield xd and it holds about 14 .45acp's. just a little to big to carry all the time. the baby glock accepts the high cap mags so i have the firepower in a small package.
A friend of mine who is a now retired sheriff's deputy, was firearms instructor and range officer for the department, was having lunch with me one day and he was packing a 9mm glock. having know him since childhood and knowing he had a colt delta 10mm in the glove compartment of the patrol car, and a .375H&H in the trunk, i asked him about the pistol and the caliber. He kind of wrinkled his nose and said the glock was a perfectly aedequate bullet dispenser, and the round only took two or three to do what one should do.
I found that really funny and never forgot it.
the .375 by the way was for certain areas in the valley where houses were made out of railroad ties. People thought bullets couldn't penetrate.
well, a 300grain fmj out of a .375H&H will.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 05/10/19.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by jwp475

The military flat point Fiji is loaded to 39,700 psi per the article I read

i read the same article, americanrifleman, page 65, may issue. it was showing that pressure, but is was also showing velocity at 1326fps. there are any number of commercial fmj loads available inexpensive at around 1200fps plus/minus. this stuff is around 1190, similar bullet and not expensive: https://www.ammunitiontogo.com/prod...-winchester-service-grade-115gr-fmj-ammo
they are bumping velocity 100fps, but i don't see that as all that much.

Underwood loads their +P+ to 40,000 psi therefore the 320 is +P+ capable

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I have had failures to feed and jams with the Gold Dot and Critical Defense, my 115gr FMJ and my XTP's handloads do not in my Sig P320 do not. That is what I carry

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by local_dirt

Ron, have you ever carried those around in a mag in your pocket for a while? Guess what color they are under that pretty copper color, as well as the SXTs? Name ends in Talon. Lol. smile

i have some old black talon for 45acp in my display case.
i became enambered years ago when speer had the 200grain flying trash can or ash tray, what ever it was. I found a few years ago ten boxes of them bullets, and bought them all. i loaded them with a healthy dose of power pistol. impressed the snot out of me shooting water jugs. then i read they really weren't all that good. Still don't believe that.

Neither do I.

A friend on the board here has friends who worked for Winchester. The joke is SXT stands for "Same eXact Thing". smile

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B3

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
124 HST

When outdoors I carry FMJ 115 nato ball for critters

GOD Bless America
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
you will get a lot of arguments on the +p and the +p+. as to they really give y ou anything. I have seen the ranger t 127 in +p+ where they didn't open up. I personally have fired gold dots into 2x4 where they plugged up.
and i am probably off on this, but it seem like 115grfmj 9mm will penetrate something like 30inches or in that area. You might not get a open hollow point, but you sure get penetration. I would think in that famous miami shootout where the fbi criticized unfairly the bullet, in fmj in would have continued another couple of inches into the heart.
as to the quote in american riflemen, the military is loading up to about +p on the full metal jacket 115grain.
i don't know if that extra 100fps or so brings very much.
as to the specs, consider the following:
SAAMI specifications for common +P cartridges are as follows:

Cartridge Standard pressure +P pressure Notes
9 mm Luger 35,000 38,500 10% increase
.38 Special 17,000 18,500 9% increase
.45 ACP 21,000 23,000 9.5% increase
.38 Auto 26,500 36,500 38% increase to make .38 Super
.257 Roberts 54,000 58,000 7.5% increase
The +P+ designation is not currently used by the SAAMI, but is used by some manufacturers to designate loads that exceed the +P SAAMI specification. One source lists the 9 × 19 mm +P+ loading as having a pressure of 42,000 psi, an 18% increase over the standard pressure of 35,000 psi, and the .38 Special +P+ as 22,000, a 29% increase over the standard pressure.[5]

personally, i don't think i want to beat a gun to death getting into those higher pressures for what i see as little atvantage. The military can put them u p there, but they have a bigger budget than i do.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Don't carry a 9mm very often but on my next order to Underwood will be getting some of the 90 grain Xtreme Defender. Am carrying the same bullet right now in .38 Super which clocks 1560 from a 4.25" Commander....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClJcJ8LQFbQ&t=610s

...I like velocity...lots of it....

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by RJM
Don't carry a 9mm very often but on my next order to Underwood will be getting some of the 90 grain Xtreme Defender. Am carrying the same bullet right now in .38 Super which clocks 1560 from a 4.25" Commander....

Bob

i am not against velocity, but looking at some of those wonder bullets, they ain't working sometimes quite as advertised.
and ultimately at heart i am at the other side of the argument about big fat bullets at moderate velocity.
which is outside the 9mm discussion i think.
i did watch the video, had seen it before, and actually have some of the underwood ammo with i think that phillips head bullet.
i believe he did say not much difference between the +p+ and the +p, if i got that right.
also interesting in the tavor at much higher velocity it only brought you another couple of inches.
but, these are solid bullets, not jhp's. and you are still getting a lot of performance. I think i have seen some of this where the fmj flat pt bullets the army is going to will exceed this in penetration. could be wrong tho.
but in any case, these were at the upper end of the fbi 18inch penetration rewquirement maximum.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by RJM

Bob

You'll find the +P+ 9mm Underwood load is almost identical to your 38 Super load, at 1550 fps from a Glock 19. That's what I carry; being a solid it's an entirely different thing than traditional JHP bullet weights. I like this load because penetration in soft targets seems to be on par with the best 124-147gr JHP loads, and far better in hard barriers, but also the gun shoots flatter (less flip) with the light bullet weight for faster follow ups accurately.

Contrary to what traditional JHP loads do, the higher velocity +P+ loads with this 90gr solid Lehigh bullet penetrate a little further and seem to be a little more effective in all my testing. The trade off is more bang and flip as expected, but it does not sacrifice penetration like a hollow point does at higher speed.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Speer GDHP 124 +P. Unless I’m at the Ranch, then I have a spare mag of the Buffalo Bore Outdoorsman Load with the cast bullets. Might need to shoot a pig or two. 🤠

Hey, I'd be willing to mail you the money for a box of Lehigh 9mm Xtreme Penetrators if you wouldn't mind lobbing some of them at a varmint pig and getting back to me with the results. It certainly would be cheaper than me driving somewhere to shoot a pig! I got 1152 fps out of my Sig P365, 1212 out of a Glock 19.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
147 gr. XTP @ 1000FPS

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
rjm
was digging around in the ammo area, how bout this:

underwood 10mm, 220 gr hi tek coaed hard cast, 1200fps.

underwood 10mm, 140gr xtreme penetrator, 1500fps.
and then i found some of my hand cast 41magnum

using that slovenien mould for dimple, solid, pentad hollowpoint and regular hollowpoint
hp cast to 247grain, dimple to 254grain, solid to 262grain, 9grains of unique
i think that in the 41magnum would make an owie too.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like 124 +p Gold Dots just fine.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

In my experience the 124 and 147 grain +P+ Underwood Gold Dot’s give up a bit of penetration to the +P but expansion is greater as is wound channel.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (007FJ, 1OntarioJim, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 16penny, 65 invisible), 2,448 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,440
Posts18,470,889
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.