Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
quite a few years ago i bought a case of silver bear i think 115 or 124 grain jhp, stashed it and haven't looked at it since.
i think the jacket had steel in it, and they stopped importation.
sooner of later i am going to shoot a box of that into something and see what it does.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 05/18/19.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
GB1

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
Originally Posted by Yondering
talking about too much of a good thing. how about 1550fps?
https://www.underwoodammo.com/colle...n-xtreme-defender?variant=18785693466681

I'm not sure why you'd think "too much of a good thing" - those are not expanding hollow points that would sacrifice penetration for speed. As a solid, the higher velocity penetrates better and recoil is still very manageable.

that was meant as a joke as much as anything. I was sitting there looking at some 10mm, and 41magnum underwood ammo on the desk.
i have come close probably two or three times now to buying two or three boxes of the stuff rjm just bought.
I was also thinking of some of their 357mag ammo too.
in 9mm i am more into the mindset lately of wanting penetration rather than expansion.

I've been carrying this stuff for several years now and have shot and tested a bunch of it. (I mostly buy the bullets and load my own.) Good penetration is one of the things I really like about them. They don't expand, but they do give some of the effect of an expanding bullet; the wound channels aren't the same but they are effective.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
65BR,

I shoot nothing for self-defense in my Sig-Sauer P225/P6 except 115 Grain HORNADY CRITICAL DEFENSE JHP, as I've found nothing that shoots as well in my P225/P6.
(I've probably tried at least 2 dozen other sorts of 9x19mm factory ammo & none of them are superior to what I'm using, in this particular handgun.)

Otoh, I once had a 9mm Colt's Government Model that shot nothing as well as high-velocity 147 grain JHP. = My GUESS is that virtually every handgun has a "favorite" load, IF the owner had time & money to test the many available loads. - MOST shooters find "an acceptable load" that shoots "decently" & thereafter sticks with that load.
(The only reason that I found "an optimal load" for my EDC handgun is that I once was "a range rat" at a regional police academy & many students left behind many small numbers of many different sorts of factory 9mm ammo, which we staff-members were allowed to expend on the range for practice.)

yours, tex

Last edited by satx78247; 05/18/19. Reason: clarity

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

William Barrett Travis, Lt.Col., comdt.
Fortress of The Alamo, Bejar
F'by 24, 1836
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just regular old 115 gr ball ammo.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

I'm not sure why you'd think "too much of a good thing" - those are not expanding hollow points that would sacrifice penetration for speed. As a solid, the higher velocity penetrates better and recoil is still very manageable.

that was meant as a joke as much as anything. I was sitting there looking at some 10mm, and 41magnum underwood ammo on the desk.
i have come close probably two or three times now to buying two or three boxes of the stuff rjm just bought.
in 9mm i am more into the mindset lately of wanting penetration rather than expansion.

I've been carrying this stuff for several years now and have shot and tested a bunch of it. (I mostly buy the bullets and load my own.) Good penetration is one of the things I really like about them. They don't expand, but they do give some of the effect of an expanding bullet; the wound channels aren't the same but they are effective.

where are you able to buy the bullets by themselves. I must have overlooked that somehow.
oops, see midway cary's them. have you found loading spec's?
oops again, found it should let my fingers do the walking first.
i didn't know they were making that many bullets with loading instructions:
https://www.lehighdefense.com/lehigh-defense-load-data-library

Last edited by RoninPhx; 05/19/19.

IC B2

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
To all-

Bullets are designed to work within an operational velocity range. Pushing a Speer Gold Dot/HST/Ranger faster DOES NOT increase its tissue wounding ability. Quite the opposite generally.

Pistols kill by destroying tissue. Being that impact velocity is below 2,000’iah FPS there is no, to extremely minor damage caused by the temporary cavity. All of the damage is from the permanent crush cavity- i.e.- what the bullet physically touches. There is a reason that organizations who’s job it is to actually use pistols to kill humans all use hollow point/plugged ammunition that meets FBI spec. The Xtreme penetrators, etc. look neat on paper, in actual tissue they cause about as much damage as FMJ’s. That is to say poor compared to modern, robust, expanding HP’s.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Really...then I guess the last two guys I saw shot with a .22 that were non-CNS hits and dropped within a couple of seconds of their being hit died of...fright?

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RJM
Really...then I guess the last two guys I saw shot with a .22 that were non-CNS hits and dropped within a couple of seconds of their being hit died of...fright?

Right.

And all the targets splattered by light weight 357 magnum slugs over the years were hallucinations.

Last edited by night_owl; 05/19/19.

abusus non tollit usum
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by RJM

The plural of anecdotes is not data.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by RJM

Originally Posted by night_owl

Right.

And all the targets splattered by light weight 357 magnum slugs over the years were hallucinations.

What are you two talking about?

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Originally Posted by RJM

Right.

Not everyone believes the hole punch theory of handgun ballistics.

Last edited by night_owl; 05/19/19.

abusus non tollit usum
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by RJM

Right.

RJM thinks the .22LR is a better man stopper than a 9mm with modern hollow points.

Of course his calling you out for you "inexperience" doesn't exactly add to his credibility.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 05/19/19.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
well
that underwood with the lehigh bullet seemed like it outperformed in penetration through various mediums and good peformance after penttrating. I am gonna buy some of the bullets, lehigh, and load them myself.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0piGeTVMZWs

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y

Pistols kill by destroying tissue. Being that impact velocity is below 2,000’iah FPS there is no, to extremely minor damage caused by the temporary cavity. All of the damage is from the permanent crush cavity- i.e.- what the bullet physically touches. There is a reason that organizations who’s job it is to actually use pistols to kill humans all use hollow point/plugged ammunition that meets FBI spec. The Xtreme penetrators, etc. look neat on paper, in actual tissue they cause about as much damage as FMJ’s. That is to say poor compared to modern, robust, expanding HP’s.

Wrong again about the Lehigh stuff and a lot of other bullets, as can be seen by shooting actual meat, but we've been over this before.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y

where are you able to buy the bullets by themselves. I must have overlooked that somehow.
oops, see midway cary's them. have you found loading spec's?
oops again, found it should let my fingers do the walking first.
i didn't know they were making that many bullets with loading instructions:
https://www.lehighdefense.com/lehigh-defense-load-data-library

Yeah, I get them from either Lehigh or Midway.
For a +P+ load I worked up with Silhouette to a bit higher than the Lehigh data, and stopped about 25 fps shy of Underwood's +P+ load. That's been a good accurate load that is safe and reliable in my Glocks. Use at your own risk in your guns of course.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
To all-

Bullets are designed to work within an operational velocity range. Pushing a Speer Gold Dot/HST/Ranger faster DOES NOT increase its tissue wounding ability. Quite the opposite generally.

What 9mm ammo do you recommend?

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F

Not everyone believes the hole punch theory of handgun ballistics.

It’s not a theory. It’s literally the only damage observed in tissue with service handguns.

Wrong again about the Lehigh stuff and a lot of other bullets, as can be seen by shooting actual meat, but we've been over this before.

I’ve seen what a Lehigh does in tissue. Have you?

What actual meat? You mean the largest database of results from actual shooting in humans, the largest, most researched and peer reviewed terminal ballistics findings from the largest, most well funded, and resourced terminal ballistics facilities?

Or are we talking deer? Of which I have killed hundreds of, and dozens with 380, 9mm, 40 S&W, 357 Sig and Mag, 45 auto, 44 mag, and 454 Casull using FMJ, hardcast, and modern HP’s?

No, there is no magic to Lehighs. The wounds created are nearly indistinguishable from flat nosed FMJ’s.

Last edited by Formidilosus; 05/19/19.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by David_Walter

What 9mm ammo do you recommend?

To caveat- I really don’t care as long as the consistent penetrate 12+ inches straight line. All service caliber pistols suck unless you hit CNS. Therefore I, and those I work with default to CNS for everything.

Having said that- any rounds that meet FBI spec across the board. Speer 147gr Golddot, Speer Gold Dot G2 147gr, 147gr HST, Hornady Critical Duty 135gr+p, Barnes 115gr XPD +p, etc. They’re all good.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Thanks

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by RJM

Right.

RJM thinks the .22LR is a better man stopper than a 9mm with modern hollow points.

Of course his calling you out for you "inexperience" doesn't exactly add to his credibility.

That's not at all what he was saying.

Speaking of anecdotes..

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

538 members (10gaugemag, 17Fan, 01Foreman400, 160user, 12344mag, 1badf350, 66 invisible), 2,382 guests, and 1,160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,317
Posts18,487,330
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.