Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 13 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13
Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Originally Posted by nighthawk
Well, yes. Ultimately faith is a requirement if you believe in free will. A leap of faith. But things like Aquinas' Five Proofs narrows the gap.

All Aquinas did was use intellect and logic to get to a place where he admitted that we do not, and cannot know, and he called that, God - all anyone can do is believe, if they want to.

Like Sam Houston, I will vote for what is best for ME in 2020.
Texans read their Bibles to find what they want it to say, and are blind to what it actually says...

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
The point being made, is that God makes himself known to every man without communication with other men.

The fact that every civilization holds a belief in some god is used as substantive evidence toward that claim.

I hold that it must be otherwise, considering the plethora of gods known around the world. A single, all knowing, all powerful God could not possibly be that inept at making himself known.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Nobody wakes up at six years old and thinks ‘Wow, I need to start paying homage to God.’

It is taught. Therefore it is not innate.

The only thing that may be considered innate is our desire to live forever and achieve power and control. That aspect of God and religion enables that. But it still has to be introduced. It is not innate.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
so much of our god issues are related to our human consciousness. the crocodiles in the river don't have this dilemma to deal with.

and it's especially tied to our ego's. nobody wants to die, but everybody wants to go to heaven. not a bad idea really.

it keeps one safe, and living on into the future although they've dropped the biological side of things (i assume).

thus enter god of various kinds, types and sorts from throughout the ages from every independent group.

in no way does having a majority of people holding to a single belief make that belief anymore true.

there actually might be only one person high on a mountain that holds the only true belief.

but he's not talking with us lowly commoners. he's got better things to think & do.

a weakness is that we "need" to worship a god that allows us to control things.

"control" now there's a concept a true god can sink his teeth in with support.

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
No sane person wants to die, but that does not mean we can not accept the inevitable.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
IC B2

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
The point being made, is that God makes himself known to every man without communication with other men.

The fact that every civilization holds a belief in some god is used as substantive evidence toward that claim.

I hold that it must be otherwise, considering the plethora of gods known around the world. A single, all knowing, all powerful God could not possibly be that inept at making himself known.

The point being made is that there is an innate sense of some god which is in all of us. The fact that every civilization has religious rites and practices is indeed substantive evidence of that fact.

Seems like maybe you then narrowed things down to your conception of a specific god idea to disqualify the evidence.

That’s called confirmation bias.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Not all civilizations endorse the idea of a non-earth dwelling god.

That’s a lie.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
That isn’t true you’re correct but it’s not what I said either...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The God Idea comes at us from both the Outside- who then made all this?- and from the inside, when we first experience love... and guilt.

God is so much a part of us that He must be rationalized away if we are to become unbelievers..... that’s not our natural state. An intrinsic part of us wants to believe that Someone, or Something is in control . It’s as if we have an internal throne that demands an occupant.

If we don’t develop some concept of God, we install our Self on that throne. For practical applications, Self is synonymous with Satan.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Romans 1:20

20 For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B3

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
according to the geneologists, neanderthal man once roamed europe and russia (northern asia).

they say according to their research of dna spirals, that the average/typical, not from africa, human contains about 2 percent neanderthal dna.

since evidence suggests that they buried their dead, i'm of the opinion that they had beliefs of one kind or another.

whichever god, or process that allowed homo sapiens to take over the urth, the neanderthal were ruled out as unworthy.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TF49

It does not matter what YOU think or believe.

A rather explicit -categorical statement above^

What you believe about God is less important than what God sees in you.

now the backtrack, your beliefs still matter / are still important.

No wonder the Book refers to them as scatterbrain sheep,
when they try to think or reason for themselves and speak for God ,they just make further fools of themselves.

(James 1:8)
" A double-minded man is unstable in all his ways"

Nobody with any sense whatsoever would consult sheep for direction or advice or what
members of the flock like TF49 call the TRUTH,
...hence why the good shepherd is on constant standby
to guide the helpless halfwits in every single aspect of their life.

Christianity for millennia has been polluted with crack pot uppity sheep who have the delusion
that they are a guiding light with compulsion to deliver and educate the lesser others with their
own superior versions of the 'truth'.

Oh, and I don’t recall having called anybody a “dick”

LOL...those who cannot even recall what they themselves said just a couple weeks ago,

should not be trying to guide people on what some mysterious God allegedly said thousands of yrs ago.

chances are the persons that transferred Gods words into a Book had as terrible and unreliable
memory- recollection as you do.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
J
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by RickyD
Originally Posted by Big Stick

Jeezus ain't real.

Hint...............

Stick to what you know.

Yep, cause what you just said, isnt really so. Now, i will accept as scripture has said, there is no Christ or life for you after your run here is done.

Last edited by jaguartx; 05/16/19.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Curiosity and the desire for explanations and/or answers is innate. From this innate drive for understanding flows both religion and science.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Starman

It does not matter what YOU think or believe.

A rather explicit -categorical statement above^

What you believe about God is less important than what God sees in you.

now the backtrack, your beliefs still matter / are still important.

No wonder the Book refers to them as scatterbrain sheep,
when they try to think or reason for themselves and speak for God ,they just make further fools of themselves.

(James 1:8)
" A double-minded man is unstable in all his ways"

Nobody with any sense whatsoever would consult sheep for direction or advice or what
members of the flock like TF49 call the TRUTH,
...hence why the good shepherd is on constant standby
to guide the helpless halfwits in every single aspect of their life.

Christianity for millennia has been polluted with crack pot uppity sheep who have the delusion
that they are a guiding light with compulsion to deliver and educate the lesser others with their
own superior versions of the 'truth'.

Oh, and I don’t recall having called anybody a “dick”

LOL...those who cannot even recall what they themselves said just a couple weeks ago,

should not be trying to guide people on what some mysterious God allegedly said thousands of yrs ago.

chances are the persons that transferred Gods words into a Book had as terrible and unreliable
memory- recollection as you do.

Nope, don’t recall calling anyone a dick. I do however remember referring to you .... let’s see, what was it... I think it was a “DK kid” or something like that.

You missed the clue but since you bring it up.... it was a referral to the Dunning-Krueger syndrome.

Look it up....

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Quick_Karl
Originally Posted by nighthawk
Well, yes. Ultimately faith is a requirement if you believe in free will. A leap of faith. But things like Aquinas' Five Proofs narrows the gap.

All Aquinas did was use intellect and logic to get to a place where he admitted that we do not, and cannot know, and he called that, God - all anyone can do is believe, if they want to.

That we cannot "know" a transcendent being, less restricted than we are, does not mean we cannot know of their existence or some of their properties through our intellect, which itself is as transcendent faculty. And it's the unrestricted, uncaused being of which logically there can be only one, we would call "god."

As I hinted, I believe there can be no proof if you follow the philosophy of Ethics. Kinda suspect that's what Aquinas ran up against.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
J
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J

I Dindo Nuffin
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Good articles, Jag. Everyone who is honest know that the God concept is innate in people. But the God haters can't live with that and I'm about to the place I can't live with them, too.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Duh. There are five Transcendental Desires that were recognized around 400 BC by Plato and Aristotle. These are Perfect and unconditional Truth, Perfect and unconditional Love, Perfect and unconditional Justice (Goodness), Perfect and unconditional Beauty, Perfect and unconditional Being (Home). Consider these innate desires, intrinsic with our being. Now what might we call one who perfectly embodies these virtues? An uncaused, unrestricted being? God?

Just something to ponder.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Page 10 of 13 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (1minute, 10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 1Longbow, 1936M71, 1800topsoil, 65 invisible), 2,392 guests, and 1,299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,692
Posts18,494,126
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.