Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 28 1 2 3 4 27 28
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
There are paid shills that bash certain brands on forums. Not saying this is happening here, just take everything with a grain or two of salt.

How do you know a Trump hater? They'll tell you.
GB1

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Leupold has many lines, like all makers. Any discussion of optics without specifying which line in particular to which line of another maker is absolutely meaningless.

But generally, Leupold still very good (so far), even their VX-Freedom. Nightforce is much much better on average, but no better than high-end-line Leupolds that run about the same price.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I’ve had one with dials that may as well have been random number generators. It seemed to hold zero, but getting it there was an adventure.

That's pretty funny!

It's funny but true. And they do fail, I've had a couple fail. Most didn't fail, but there you have it.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some thought Stick was one for Alpha Brass...Peterson thread comes to mind...Those posts were hilarious reads. 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
If they work, they work.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One of the unsung features of a Nightforce is its ability to be used as a billy club if needed. They managed to manufacture a lot of heft into those suckers!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by smokepole
I’ve had one with dials that may as well have been random number generators. It seemed to hold zero, but getting it there was an adventure.

That's pretty funny!

It's funny but true. And they do fail, I've had a couple fail. Most didn't fail, but there you have it.

The old Leupold “Knock”...

It’s been frustrating at times. I, too, have sent a few down the road after getting them repaired. Replacements were NF, Swfa and Bushnell for those Leupold’s that showed problems.

For me, VX6 glass is really nice to use for covering heads at distance...

My hope is Leupold will one day realize, if they would just copy the same internals as SWFA, add a zero stop, and lense the damn scope with Vx3 or Vx6 glass and sell them between $650-$1600 bucks, they’d hit a home run.

Just hoping....😎

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
One of the unsung features of a Nightforce is its ability to be used as a billy club if needed. They managed to manufacture a lot of heft into those suckers!

I take mine salmon fishing for said use...😬😎

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Some thought Stick was one for Alpha Brass...Peterson thread comes to mind...Those posts were hilarious reads. 😎

Don't think Alpha needs Stick. Maybe Peterson could use him.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by Darryle

NF is the 6.5 Creed of the optics world. NF has their place among the others, it's just not everyone's cup of tea. I like them, have a couple but they are heavy and have no place on a trim hunting rifle.

Wow.

I have a NF on my Creed.

Otherwise, not knowing any better, I could be shooting a .270 wearing a Leupold.

Good thing I’m here on the Fire.

DF

Me too - have a few Leupolds also, like them too.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

That's pretty funny!

Mine have held zero but had a couple issues with tracking. I the the CDS option on the cheaper lines is just asking for trouble

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

That's pretty funny!

x2 classic campfire there, “random number generaors”...love it 😁

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

I've had numerous Leupolds and they have worked without issue, the CDS-equipped ones working just fine on targets out to 500 yards. But....I kept hearing about Leupold's failings and how robust and dependable Nightforce is.

So I bought one, an SHV. Love it.

Then an NXS 2.5-10X42.

When it arrived, I unboxed it (sorry, no 5-minute youtube video), and was looking through it when I noticed a black speck that I eventually determined to be on the inside of the objective lense.

I had also recently received a copy of JB's excellent Gun Gack II. Holding the NXS by the ocular, I whacked Mr. Barsness's book somewhat forcefully with my brand-spanking-new Nightforce.

The speck is gone and the Nightforce has went on to participate in some deer and coyote killings.

I would have had to think about whacking my VX-5HD like that.....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Several things happened. The biggest one being the internet and all the buzz about long range hunting and shooting and TV shows promoting it. All this allows the rapid spread of information, especially on "optics forums" and the uninformed may have their opinions swayed by that information, whether it is good or bad.

Take me for example. I have been using Leupold scopes in Alaska since the early 70's because they had great eye relief and were light in weight. They were always used as "set and forget" scopes. I zeroed my scopes for 200 yards since the majority of Alaskan game is shot under 200 yards, then I verified their point of impact with my loads out to 400 yards and learned to use "hold over" with the scopes reticle. Had good success with that system and the only time I ever touched the scopes turrets was if I needed to re-zero a scope for what ever reason.

I still believe that system works for most big game shooting in Alaska, as many of my friends prove every year. But, in much of North America the turret twisting craze is wide spread, hunters/shooters want that capability and many of them are of the opinion Leupold's don't hold up to constant turret twisting and I have no reason to doubt them. I think it comes down to ones shooting needs and wants.

I now have a couple of rifle/scope combos that have scopes known for reliable turret twisting and both utilize the mil system. But, this fall I will grab the .338 with a Leupold VX-R 3-9x40 with Firedot #4 reticle and a Kenton Industries elevation turret and go hunting. I doubt I will have cause to twist a turret and if I miss a critter it will not be the scopes fault. I am also looking at the Nightforce SHV 3-10 which would add another 6 ounces to my rifles weight.

Bottom line for me is if I wanted to be a constant turret twister I would look past Leupold.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
AT least they have eye relief!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by 1Akshooter
"Several things happened. The biggest one being the internet and all the buzz about long range hunting and shooting and TV shows promoting it."

"I zeroed my scopes for 200 yards since the majority of Alaskan game is shot under 200 yards, then I verified their point of impact with my loads out to 400 yards and learned to use "hold over" with the scopes reticle. Had good success with that system and the only time I ever touched the scopes turrets was if I needed to re-zero a scope for what ever reason."

Couldn't agree more. My grandpa killed lots of game at all kinds of distances. I doubt ever at any of our "modern-day" distances but he always would say " beware of the man who only shoots one rifle, they know how their trajectory like the back of their hands. ". I have a few different rifles that are set up with turret style scopes but it always seems that the one I shoot most is my mark v with vx3. No dial needed. Just range time.

I can take it with a grain of salt about Leopold mechanics. I've never had an issue but I'm also not constantly using the dials. My opinion is neutral like Switzerland.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I have a SHV on my Creed. The VX-6 has better glass than the NF but I trust the NF more.

Both have good ER, the Leupold eyebox and ER are hard to beat.

I’ve sent a few Leupolds back for failure to hold zero, but still like them.

Just a matter of trust.

DF

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 257Bob
Leupold still seems to be the best scope for the $, at least in the under the $1,000 price point. Please educate me if I'm wrong, I'm not opposed to learning something here.

You are not wrong.

Dre Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by Darryle

NF is the 6.5 Creed of the optics world. NF has their place among the others, it's just not everyone's cup of tea. I like them, have a couple but they are heavy and have no place on a trim hunting rifle.

Wow.

I have a NF on my Creed.

Otherwise, not knowing any better, I could be shooting a .270 wearing a Leupold.

Good thing I’m here on the Fire.

DF

I’m shooting 270 with vx2 and cds reliably from 200 to 650 yards ...hope internet scope wizards approve.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well......I really worry about that .270.....(grin)

Page 2 of 28 1 2 3 4 27 28

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (Anaconda, Amos63, 44automag, 01Foreman400, 808outdoors, 11 invisible), 1,478 guests, and 716 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,493
Posts18,472,095
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.